Roger Moore's Bond movies; which are your favourites and Why?

chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
edited October 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 17,687
My favourites keep bouncing about in their order, sometimes It's TSWLM, sometimes it's OP, but I always seem to come back to TMWTGG- it's just so full of atmosphere, a spot on perfect performance from Rog, a great score, the best villain, bizarre scenes, exotic locations... plus, maybe THE funniest line in any Bond movie: "You've no idea what it went through to get here."
:D

Thoughts?

Comments

His last one because it was his last! Seriously, Spy IMO is far and away his defining Bond followed by FYEO for the more serious approach. Bond killing Locque is Moore's finest piece of acting IMO.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 11,425
    LeChiffre wrote:
    His last one because it was his last! Seriously, Spy IMO is far and away his defining Bond followed by FYEO for the more serious approach. Bond killing Locque is Moore's finest piece of acting IMO.

I second that. There are plenty of great moments In his other movies but Spy and FYEO are probably the best, closely followed by OP.
    TSWLM and FYEO are my personal favourites, i love both equally, although for some reason, i tend to watch FYEO moore;-)
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I'm partial to TSWLM and TMWTGG, myself. TSWLM for its plot, and TMWTGG for Christopher Lee (he makes an awesome Bond villain).
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    For Your Eyes Only is my pick. Moore being closer to Fleming's Bond, Carole Boquet is gorgeous, the plot is exiting, as are the villains, Topol plays Colombo brilliantly, his banter with Bond is brilliant. The action is exciting and suspenseful, Bill Conti's score is great, as is Sheena Easton's song.

And it has a talking parrot! ST CYRILS!

Whats not to like?
    Mallory wrote:
    For Your Eyes Only is my pick. Moore being closer to Fleming's Bond, Carole Boquet is gorgeous, the plot is exiting, as are the villains, Topol plays Colombo brilliantly, his banter with Bond is brilliant. The action is exciting and suspenseful, Bill Conti's score is great, as is Sheena Easton's song.

And it has a talking parrot! ST CYRILS!

Whats not to like?

Those are the exact reasons why i tend to favour 'For Your Eyes Only'..I prefer Carole Boquet over Barbara Bach, and although 'Nobody does it better' is a Bond classic, i do prefer FYEO as a song...
    The best is FYEO but my favorite is Octopussy. Why? The Twins's chase of 009 is one of the most dramatic scene of the whole Bond serie. Moore's performance one of the strongest, especially the finale when he shout to the General "There's a bomb in there". The action scene when Bond faces Kamel Khan's goons in Octopussy's palace is wild and spectacular. That's why Octopussy is my favorite.
  • In this order:

1) The Spy Who Loved Me - Number 1 in overall ranking

Look up the word 'perfection' in the thesaurus and the words "The Spy Who Loved Me" will be there. It is the best James Bond film of all time and has every ingredient any Bond fan could ask for. The best James Bond Actor, the best James Bond PTS, the best Bond plot/story, the best Bond theme, the best Henchman, the best set/locations, the best stunts, the best action sequences, one of the best bond girls and one of the best villains. Absolutely terrific...nobody does it better. This is the bench mark for a Bond film

2) Octopussy - Number 3 in overall ranking

An all time high? Almost. But for the genius of TSWLM and FRWL, this wouldn't be out of place in gracing the title of best Bond movie ever. Terrific spy thriller in the vein of FRWL with cold war drama written all over it. Moore is terrific and everything in the film is perfect. The whole Germany sequence is the best in any Bond film and the clown scenes are the most tense in a Bond film. Some great gadgets and stunt with great villains and Bond girls to compliment, it's amazing this is slated.

3) Live and Let Die - Number 4 in overall ranking

The film that introduced me to Bond. I will always have a soft spot for it. It used to be my second favourite Moore until I watched Octopussy and appreciated it's awesomeness more. It's a great movie, Moore has a terrific debut (the best debut of any Bond actor imo) and it's a great story. It's iconic and will stay with you forever. The music is top quality, as are the villains and Solitaire is stunning throughout. The crocodile scene will live long in the memory and even JW Pepper isn't half bad in it.

4) Moonraker - Number 9 in overall ranking

Bond in space? Yes please. Moonraker is an amazing stunning piece of cinema. Moore is terrific, the locations are great and the story is very good. Though I love Drax, bringing Jaws back and not killing him was a mistake (I much preferred Chan as the henchman). Dr Goodhead was ok but forgetable. The Bondola scene and the PTS is amazing and I love every minute of them.

5) For Your Eyes Only - Number 10 in overall ranking

A terrific movie...the Boxing Day to the feast of Christmas Day that is Moonraker. This is one of the darkest Bond's of all time. It's terrific, a good old fashioned spy thriller with Moore excelling as he always has done. The cliff top scene when he kicks the car off is the darkest moment in the series by far. For Your Eyes Only is overlooked and rather unfairly so. It's top of the range stuff (like the other films in my top 10). The Bond girl is slightly weak and Moore does very well to carry her. Bibi was a mistake but Moore did very well to dodge that potential romantic sub plot. Kristatos is a great villain because he isn't really a villain in the traditional sense.

6) A View To A Kill - Number 13 in overall ranking

It is testimony to the other films in the series that AVTAK is so low. Forget the nonsense of it being poor, this is a great Bond film. Copying Goldfinger? So what...it's better than Goldfinger imo. Though Moore is too old and looks odd, he does his best. The real stars of the show are Zorin and Mayday, a truly memorable Bond villain duo. Stacey Sutton is awful though. It is by far one of the darkest movies in the series and yet people don't acknowledge that

7) The Man With The Golden Gun - Number 17 in overall ranking

The only Roger Moore film I struggle to watch. And it is a shame because Scaramanga is one of the best Bond villains of all time. Don't get me wrong, Moore is great and some of the scenes are good. but the energy crisis is dated and the whole Kung fu aspect of the film looks weak. The Bond girls are very poor and I don't care for Nick Nack. A great finale and the performances of Lee and Moore can't save this...and this is forgetting the re-emergence of JW Pepper

A quick overview of the Moore Films :)
    =D>
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited October 2012 Posts: 17,687
    This is how I would have written it:

The Man With The Golden Gun -
    The only Roger Moore film I never struggle for a moment to watch. And a lot of it is because Scaramanga is one of the best Bond villains of all time. Don't get me wrong, Moore is great & holds his own in this movie, though. The energy crisis is dated and the whole Kung fu aspect of the film is kinda cheesy, but that only works FOR the classic aspects of this period piece. The Bond girls are good and I liked Nick Nack as the anti-Oddjob. A great finale and the performances of Lee and Moore topped with a fine bit of modelwork destruction cap off this minor masterpiece! ;)
  • chrisisall wrote:
    This is how I would have written it:

The Man With The Golden Gun -
    The only Roger Moore film I never struggle for a moment to watch. And a lot of it is because Scaramanga is one of the best Bond villains of all time. Don't get me wrong, Moore is great & holds his own in this movie, though. The energy crisis is dated and the whole Kung fu aspect of the film is kinda cheesy, but that only works FOR the classic aspects of this period piece. The Bond girls are good and I liked Nick Nack as the anti-Oddjob. A great finale and the performances of Lee and Moore topped with a fine bit of modelwork destruction cap off this minor masterpiece! ;)

Looking back, I think I have been unfair on it. It's just the worst Moore, that's all
    I rank Roger Moore's 007 movies like this:

1. A View to a Kill- call me foolish, but this was one of my earliest Bond experiences, so it gets points there, and I also believe it has a terrific storyline, one of the greatest villains of all time, a kick-butt soundtrack, and Roger is THE MAN in his last adventure!

2. For Your Eyes Only- easy to see why it ranks so highly, I mean you've got a simple yet very engaging storyline, a rockin' soundtrack, epic locations, a spot-on performance by RogMan, and a whole bunch of awesome action!

3. Octopussy- an amazing storyline followed by classy villains and superb action scenes, making for a very worthy RogBond!

4. Live and Let Die- occasionally seems to have dull moments and dissatisfying action sequences, but nonetheless a classic Bond movie with spectacular assets, like the villains, the soundtrack, and Roger's debut performance!

5. The Man with the Golden Gun- used to rank it lower, but in all honesty, it's pretty great! You've got one of the finest villains in Bond history, possibly Roger's darkest performances ever as 007, outstanding location work, and a nice pace with a smooth plot to follow! Only downsides are the cheesy moments, Nick Nack, and the lack of energy in some of the action scenes.

6. The Spy Who Loved Me- great locations, an epic soundtrack, and awesome action scenes are the three strongest assets from Roger's third run! The characters, excluding Jaws, could use a little work, and the storyline sometimes leaves duller moments, particularly in Egypt, but nonetheless very entertaining! I'd like to rank it higher honestly, but AVTAK, FYEO, OP, LALD, and TMWTGG just must go in front of it, as the way things go.

7. Moonraker- by no means the worst Bond movie, but in terms of Roger's outings, definitely the lowest. It can get pretty dull and uninteresting in a hurry, although there are plenty of assets to its name, like the locations, the action (excluding the horrible cable car sequence), and the superb soundtrack!
  • 00Beast wrote:
    I rank Roger Moore's 007 movies like this:

1. A View to a Kill- call me foolish, but this was one of my earliest Bond experiences, so it gets points there, and I also believe it has a terrific storyline, one of the greatest villains of all time, a kick-butt soundtrack, and Roger is THE MAN in his last adventure!

AVTAK is a great Bond film and I agree with all your points. I woke up at 5am on holiday once just to watch it for the first time after having recorded it the night before. I have a massive soft spot for it...miles ahead of all the Brosnan/Craig films in terms of entertainment, quality and darkness.
  • Sorry, Signed_By_RogerMoore, but are you really saying AVTAK is better than Goldfinger-?!
  • I sometimes wonder if I am a real Bond fan or Roger Moore fan. When I was a teenager watching Octopussy I knew Roger would soon leave Bond. I grew up being dazzled by TSWLM, MR and FREO at the cinema.
    These films got me into Bond and I caught up on the earlier films on TV but none appealed as much as what I had seen at the cinema with Roger.
    Now you may say I have bad taste because you think Sean is like the literary Bond and Roger is far removed. Fact is Roger Moore got me into Bond, same as many a 70s lad (inc Sam Mendes)
    Cut a long story short I would have to split hairs between TSWLM and MR as the best, so in the best method of Richard Kiel when asked who his fav Bond is I will say The Wild Geese
    "If his back were any straighter his spine would snap"
  • It's interesting...I am watching 'TMWTGG' as I type this, and I find that it's better than I remember, too. Not the best of the lot, but underrated, for sure. Here's my Moore ranking:

1. The Spy Who Loved Me
    2. For Your Eyes Only
    3. Live and Let Die
    4. The Man with the Golden Gun
    5. Moonraker
    6. A View to a Kill
    7. Octopussy
  • Sorry, Signed_By_RogerMoore, but are you really saying AVTAK is better than Goldfinger-?!

Yes I am...a much darker film, better villains, more believable plot (to some extent), better locations, more enjoyable. Only good thing about GF (in comparison with AVTAK) is better Bond girl, better gadgets and a better 007 performance by Connery (though Moore is terrific despite his age)
    edited October 2012 Posts: 17,687
    I was hoping to keep this to what we love about the Moore films, not comparing them to the non-Moore ones- everyone has their favourites. ;)
  • You know George Lucas and Steven Spielburg keep saying they are fans of Sean's Bond. I think they are secret Roger fans. All the Indy films followed Rogers Bond films around the world:

TSWLM - Raiders : Egypt
    MR- Crystal Skull : Icuagua Falls South America
    OP - Temple Of Doom : India
    MR - Last Crusade : Venice
  • Sorry Chrisisall
    What I love about Rogers bond films were the larger than life locations and characters and Rogers sense of fun.
    I still laugh every time he says "all those feathers and he still can't fly" or "there's a usefull four letter word and your full of it"
    Rog has the best humour and one liners of any actor out there. I love him to bits and he will always be my Bond
    I never noticed that Lucas/Spielberg connection... :-?
  • dkwookie wrote:
    Sorry Chrisisall
    What I love about Rogers bond films were the larger than life locations and characters and Rogers sense of fun.
    I still laugh every time he says "all those feathers and he still can't fly" or "there's a usefull four letter word and your full of it"
    Rog has the best humour and one liners of any actor out there. I love him to bits and he will always be my Bond

Terrific post and sums it up for me what Bond (should) be about.

"I'm now aiming precisely at your groin...so speak or forever hold your piece"

Moore films are all great and amazing. He is my favourite Bond aswell
  • Spielberg and Lucas sat on a beach saying they wanted to do a Bond film, this was after TSWLM and I guarantee its Rogers Bond they were thinking of with Indy
  • Lol signed by roger, Rog would deal with those Sith Lords in no time. He would deal with Palpatine with a cyanide coated wrist dart whilst reaching for his light sabre :)
    "All that dark side and he still can't fly"
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Sorry, Signed_By_RogerMoore, but are you really saying AVTAK is better than Goldfinger-?!

Goldfinger is better than anything?

Anything but TB, yes it is...
    LOL, now we're discussing the GF/DAF/LALD/TMWTGG quadrilogy?? b-(
    edited October 2012 Posts: 7,854
    chrisisall wrote:
    LOL, now we're discussing the GF/DAF/LALD/TMWTGG quadrilogy?? b-(

Other than being directed by the same lousy director, what do these films have in common?
    Sorry, Signed_By_RogerMoore, but are you really saying AVTAK is better than Goldfinger-?!

Anything but TB, yes it is...

So, the entire rest of the series besides Thunderball ranks lower for you than the one film where Bond is a hapless captive the whole time?
    Other than being directed by the same lousy director, what do these films have in common?
    A playful sense of humour...?
    :P