Future Directors - tentative - Danny Boyle then Mendes

edited November 2012 in Bond 26 & Beyond Posts: 44
Morning All,

Well, wasn't that a premiere last night!

I know its been a while since I last posted, but I only do when I have something to say! Speaking with a few people last night and it seems that the plan for Dan's final two movies is that Danny Boyle will direct the next (you might have seen Daniel was very complimentary about Boyle when asked about the Olympics opening ceremony), and this is almost a done deal. After that, and when he has finished getting Charlie and the Chocolate Factory onto the Palladium stage, Sam Mendes will return for Dan's final film.

I don't expect many of you to believe this, but wait and see how things pan out in the next year or so. The future is looking good!

Comments

INB4 Nolan :P
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Boyle, Mendes & Nolan = very likely candidates...
  • RC7RC7
    I don't expect many of you to believe this, but wait and see how things pan out in the next year or so. The future is looking good!

If you told us your source it might add to the credibility otherwise it's pie in the sky. Personally I don't feel like Boyle's directorial style suits Bond. I like him, not for Bond imo.
    Hmm. @RC7 is right. Boyle just doesn't suit a Bond movie. I know we all said the same thing with Mendes, but no doubt Boyle will re-introduce that really annoying low-frame rate effect that he does with all his films (including the Opening Ceremony). I LOVE Danny Boyle (I was in the Opening Ceremony and met/talked with him several times, and he's a great guy and great director) but I think Nolan should be allowed to dip his hand into Bond for Bond 24, and then Mendes, if he wants it, for Bond 25. Then a new Bond, IMO.
    I would be fine with Boyle we'll see if this is true.
  • Contrary to some of the opinions here, I think Boyle would actually be an excellent choice. I've actually been saying this for over two years now. He's a brilliant filmmaker, with an incredible sense of energy and originality. And he's British, if that even means anything. I would love to see what ideas he has for Bond. If anything, I feel Mendes was a more left field choice. Boyle's take would be terribly exciting to watch.

But please @gandalfgrey, I think it's fair that you reveal exactly who you heard this from.
  • Boyle would be a great choice. He's a really good director.
  • RC7RC7
    He's a brilliant filmmaker, with an incredible sense of energy and originality. And he's British, if that even means anything.

Agreed. I just feel his visual style would not suit Bond. He has a very distinct style that can sometimes snap you out of the story if you're not used to his sense shot composition and tendancy for surrealism. Not that this should be any reason to criticise him but I'd rather have a cracking story for Bond 24 and a classic sense of composition. I don't think his photography has the gloss one should expect of a Bond film.
    JamesCraig wrote:
    Boyle, Mendes & Nolan = very likely candidates...

This would be great.

Sure beats the stiffs of some of the recent films.
  • RC7 wrote:
    He's a brilliant filmmaker, with an incredible sense of energy and originality. And he's British, if that even means anything.

Agreed. I just feel his visual style would not suit Bond. He has a very distinct style that can sometimes snap you out of the story if you're not used to his sense shot composition and tendancy for surrealism. Not that this should be any reason to criticise him but I'd rather have a cracking story for Bond 24 and a classic sense of composition. I don't think his photography has the gloss one should expect of a Bond film.

I respect what you're saying about classical composition, but don't forget that above all, Boyle is a gifted storyteller. If he has a great script to work with, which hopefully he will, then that can only serve to bring out the best of his style. You also mention his photography not being glossy. In the case of Slumdog Millionaire, I completely disagree. While not my favorite film of his, he made a movie that takes place in slums look absolutely beautiful in certain sequences.
    Morning All,

Well, wasn't that a premiere last night!

I know its been a while since I last posted, but I only do when I have something to say! Speaking with a few people last night and it seems that the plan for Dan's final two movies is that Danny Boyle will direct the next (you might have seen Daniel was very complimentary about Boyle when asked about the Olympics opening ceremony), and this is almost a done deal. After that, and when he has finished getting Charlie and the Chocolate Factory onto the Palladium stage, Sam Mendes will return for Dan's final film.

Assuming what your saying is true (i'm 50 50 on this) any other info like any idea on the title :D

• RC7 wrote:

If you told us your source it might add to the credibility otherwise it's pie in the sky. Personally I don't feel like Boyle's directorial style suits Bond. I like him, not for Bond imo.

My source is someone who works at Eon, albeit fairly low down in the overall scheme of things, but that is what she is aware of being discussed at the moment. I obviously cannot name names, and fully acknowledge that this is very early on to be discussing, but I just thought I would share, and really don't mind if you don't believe me!

It would be odd if they weren't considering Boyle.

I think his style and creativity would be good for Bond.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Despite the fact I'm a huge Nolan fan, was there long before Batman, Memento was my first Nolan experience and still remains for me his best closely followed by The Prestige.

I'm thinking I'm not sure I'm that fussed any more about him directing Bond the same way I touted Fassbender for Bond years before many knew who he was (another one I was aware about long before X-men just like Craig before Bond ), that I'm past thinking or even bothered that he is next 007.

I'm past caring whether Chris does it, he's capable of more than just blockbusters and would like to see him step out of the arena and make something more personal. I only saw TDKR once but even from the first showing I found it too long, bloated and parts just didn't ring true at all ( Bruce captive for supposed 6 months). TDK was just for me far more of cohesive film and better paced, part of me thinks I preferred Begins more, I think I want to see something different from Nolan.

Not that I'd go all nolannotbond if it happened but this idea of Boyle, a director I'm not that really fussed about as much as some (although Trainspotting is tour de force film making) I've not really seen anything apart from 28 days Later that impressed me but I think yeah Boyle for Bond and the idea of Sam returning for Dan's possible last sounds great.

If it's a done deal it's fine by me, American Beauty is the only Mendes film I've really liked, Revolution Road is fine but I can't buy Tom Hanks as a ruthless hit man so Road To Perdition doesn't work for me despite Newman & Craig's fine work in it. Though when he was announced I was naturally curious but thought this was a great choice and I think Boyle is another good move, letting Brits direct seems to be the key, Skyfall seems to revel in patriotism and although I don't want to see another Bond film based in London, just because it's set in another country doesn't mean the character has to abandon his roots.

• RC7RC7
    Shardlake wrote:
    Despite the fact I'm a huge Nolan fan, was there long before Batman

I touted Fassbender for Bond years before many knew who he was (another one I was aware about long before X-men just like Craig before Bond )

Ha ha, are you one of those people who listens to bands no one else has heard of?

• Danny Boyle would be a great choice. Trainspotting, 28 Days Later, he's just really talented.

@Shardlake You're not a hipster are you :P

I'd heard of Craig before Bond too (our friends in the north) but I'd never thought about him actually being Bond. I'd never heard of Nolan until Batman.
    Well that would be interesting to see what would happen in a Danny Boyle Bond? Will happily have Mendes again though!
  • I had seen Memento and Insomnia before Batman, but he wasn't someone I'd have thought of as a franchise director before he did Begins
    I actually don't want Nolan. He's talented but does he have a sense of humor?
  • Getafix wrote:

"Why so serious? Let's put a smile back on that face..."

I wish this would be Nolan's philosophy if he became director

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I'm not saying this rumour won't happen but I'll believe it when I see it. Still say Mendes does Bond 24. Time will tell.
    Boyle would be a good choice IMO as long as he's not too gimmicky.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Getafix wrote:

His Batman films have some funny lines in (like the bit in the prison in Begins). His films are serious for the most part but they have funny moments and he's still a good choice, but he's a huge name now. Might be too big for Bond.

Now if we're looking for somebody who can do action and humour well, who's not too big but not another arty director nobody has heard of like Forster or Tamahori, well I still think Edgar Wright is a really cool choice.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    I'm not saying this rumour won't happen but I'll believe it when I see it. Still say Mendes does Bond 24. Time will tell.

I want Mendes to return but I wouldn't mind him having a film off. He's doing the chocloate factory thing anyway, and it'd mean we'd have a bit of variety. Mendes, Boyle, Mendes is a pretty good idea imo.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    RC7 wrote:
    Shardlake wrote:

I touted Fassbender for Bond years before many knew who he was (another one I was aware about long before X-men just like Craig before Bond )

Ha ha, are you one of those people who listens to bands no one else has heard of?

I listen to many bands some you've heard some you might not have, I have music retail background and have been exposed to many different genres.

Shardlake wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    Shardlake wrote:

I listen to many bands some you've heard some you might not have, I have music retail background and have been exposed to many different genres.

Oh god. Please! We're not worthy! :D
    Long story short: Mendes won't direct Bond 24. Nolan will direct a Bond film in the future but only after Daniel Craig is done.
  • RC7RC7
    Gareth Evans (have you seen the goddamn Raid?)
    Joe Wright
    Tomas Alfredson
    Duncan Jones
    Kenneth Branagh
    Joe Cornish (in the future - better than Edgar Wright IMO)

• RC7 wrote:
    Gareth Evans (have you seen the goddamn Raid?)

That's actually a good choice. He can do action, that's for sure. And he's Welsh, so since he's from the UK, maybe he's a fan?
    RC7 wrote:
    Joe Cornish (in the future - better than Edgar Wright IMO)

He did Attack The Block, right? He could be a good choice once he's more experienced, but for now Wright is a better choice imo.
  • tqbtqb
    I think the style of Boyle's movies are weird. Just look at the bond segment from the olympics, didn't feel like a bond movie at all.
This discussion has been closed.