Bond 24 pre production has started

Comments

• JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    But Moneyenny has
    an african background according to the Moneypenny diaries
    so it's hardly a reinvention. But I can hear the whining already.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 816
    JamesCraig wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    P and W must go. Their stories are BAD.

Skyfall seems to prove otherwise, ok they wrote with someone, but still.

Here is a quote from Sam Mendes about the story outline when he first arrived as director of SKYFALL...

‘...When I came on board – which was very early in the day – there was already a treatment [a story outline]. And I was very clear straight away that was not what I wanted to do. I took one small element from that treatment, and abandoned everything else.’

Now..would this story outline have been from P&W...if so then Mendes only kept 1 small element and junked the rest - then I guess brought in John Logan to finish but P&W get to keep a credit because of the 1 element....or is this not correct?

So would this be more evidence that P&W are not providing the production team strong enough stories?

the quote is in this interview
    http://www.timeout.com/london/feature/3184/sam-mendes-interview

I don't think he's referring to a P&W story outline here at all. When Mendes came onboard (which was way before the financial thing was sorted out) Peter Morgan had done a story line/script.
    When the financial mess was sorted out he said that he had left the project, but that the 'big hook' in his story remained. So I think that's the thing that Mendes brought over to the script written by P&W and John Logan.... the big hook from Peter Morgan's rejected story line
  • Nolan isn't very good at gunfights, but some of his action (TDK car chase, Bane vs Batman), is really cool.
    Well, Nolan considers OHMSS to be his favorite, so... if he goes even more back to what Bond is all about, I wouldn't mind. But I don't think he'll do it. Yet.

• If Mendes doesn't return I could see them maybe getting Nolan, now he's done with Batman he's got nothing else going on has he?

But then they don't like big directors. We'll see I suppose.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 188
    If Mendes doesn't return I could see them maybe getting Nolan, now he's done with Batman he's got nothing else going on has he?

But then they don't like big directors. We'll see I suppose.

I'd say they are wooing Nolan, and Nolan has showed interest - but I'd say Nolan has too much on his plate to direct a Bond film for another 4 years or something - he's acting as producer on the whole DC reboot of Batman post-Dark Knight, as well as the adjoining Superman reboot and Justice League movie extravaganza. - And whereas Nolan was enthusing about his love of Bond and how it has acted as inspiration to his films, he has gone strangely coy after production on The Dark Knight Rises has finished.

I know Broccoli and co don't like big directors because they've been 'burnt' before - e.g. Matthew Vaughn, Quentin Tarantino - but it's only logical that a director like Nolan who has integrity and can bring intelligence to a big blockbuster and outsell the likes of Tarantino or Vaughn anyday would bring a hell of a lot of money to EON and popularity to Bond (not that it needs it after Skyfall).

edited October 2012 Posts: 3,497
    I read that Nolan will do an original story with Michael Caine now. Great idea! And then he can come back to tackle a big project again. He really needs to keep Roger Deakins, but in all honesty, all future Bond directors should.

@ Lewis, he won't be involved in the next Batman reboot.

I think btw that Tarantino should stay far away from Bond.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 2,107
    To the next director of Bond 24, if Skyfall is as good as we've been led to believe ; try not to muck it up again.
  • JamesCraig wrote:
    I read that Nolan will do an original story with Michael Caine now. Great idea! And then he can come back to tackle a big project again. He really needs to keep Roger Deakins, but in all honesty, all future Bond directors should.

@ Lewis, he won't be involved in the next Batman reboot.

I think btw that Tarantino should stay far away from Bond.

Aaahh right - I thought Nolan would be producing in some way due to Gordon Levitt perhaps donning the bat cowel next time. I'm very interested as to what Nolan does next.

Tarantino should indeed stay away from Bond - I think his film genius has long since waned.
    I like Tarantino, his movies that is. But his style is too different.

• edited October 2012 Posts: 5,745
    If they ever recast Leiter, I'd like to see Henry Czerny play him. Not a well known actor but he played a CIA chief in Mission: Impossible and he was SO good. He was kind of the 'bad guy' in that, but it'd be fun to see a tough, competant, sarcastic Felix on screen.

Not the weak, little screen time, do-nothing like in most of the films.
    The best Felix so far is Wright, and I want him to stay on.. but if the part was re-cast, Henry Czerny is the man.

Or he could play an American villain. That'd be nice to see, too.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I like Czerny; he was also in 'The Pink Panther' with Steve Martin. He has one of those faces you know you've seen crop up in random films before.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I like Czerny; he was also in 'The Pink Panther' with Steve Martin. He has one of those faces you know you've seen crop up in random films before.

Wouldn't he play a fun Felix?
    I believe he would. I definitely get a Felix vibe just by looking at him.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    If they ever recast Leiter, I'd like to see Henry Czerny play him. Not a well known actor but he played a CIA chief in Mission: Impossible and he was SO good. He was kind of the 'bad guy' in that, but it'd be fun to see a tough, competant, sarcastic Felix on screen.

Not the weak, little screen time, do-nothing like in most of the films.
    The best Felix so far is Wright, and I want him to stay on.. but if the part was re-cast, Henry Czerny is the man.

Or he could play an American villain. That'd be nice to see, too.

Czerny would be great. He has great presence and I loved his Kittridge. Nothing likeable about that character lol.
  • Czerny as Leiter would be great! He also had a small part in The A-Team (2010) (I have the feeling most of his scenes where cut) and in Clear and Present Danger
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    A lotmight depend on whether MGM plan to do the two remaining parts of Stieg Larsson's Millenium trilogy. Apparently it made less money than expected. If they do it, David Fincher hinted that it would be more preferrable to do the last two movies back-to-back, as they are closer connected than TGWTDT... And he also said, that it might be more comfortabel for Rooney Mara doing both films back to back.
    Well Logan has already written an outline so we should get more rumors and new in the upcoming months :D
    Matthew Vaughn just backed out of directing the next XMEN film which was supposed to be released in 2014.

Anyone think he's up to do B24 now? Kind of interesting...
    Chris Nolan's name is being thrown around again for bond 24.
    we could do a lot worse than Nolan.
  • I'd like Mendes but Nolan would also be a great choice.
    There is talks about an X4 for a while now.

I'm all for it, but in 2D and with Singer at the helm.
  • Look, too early to speculate on Bond 24, let them concentrate on the plot with great lines & breath taking action, but most of all a GOOD STRUCTURED STORY that makes sense on repeated viewing!
  • I'd like Mendes but Nolan would also be a great choice.

I agree, I would love to see Mendes back but if not then Nolan would be a great choice.
  • Does anyone else think Vaughn has been spurned by EON and so he's trying to infer his spie/Bondian notions into his projects? First a very Bondian 60s X-Men with Fassbender as a Bond archetype, and then he's working on The Secret Service instead of a successful X-Men franchise reboot that he was praised for, and also in favor of projects he would have been put in line for e.g. Star Wars!

A) Will there be a spate of Bondian spy films that are released in the next years due to the renewed success of Bond - and due to several directors being spurned by EON during financially difficult years when the franchise was having some growing pains e.g. Vaughn's Secret Service film and Tarantino's rumoured Len Deighton adaptations.

B) How much does a film or director borrow from Bond-lore before they are called out for plagiarism? or is it just fond pastiche?
    It's crazy to think how we waited four years for SF. Now, here it is, and we're all flocking out to see it as many times as we wish, throw in our reviews, cast thoughts, question certain moments, and debate on what could have been done better. Once it leaves theaters, we may look ahead to the possibility of an Oscar nomination, the blu-ray/DVD release, and then we'll be back here to anticipate 'Bond 24.' I love it.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 6,601
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2012/dec/09/sam-mendes-interview-skyfall-bond
    "It's not true that I've worked out a new plot for Bond. Nor have I made any commitment to another Bond movie. I have said that I've put everything I wanted into this film. The idea I can simply start again makes me feel physically ill. I need to get back to theatre, spend more time at home and then… and then it might be someone else's turn."
  • Well, this is amazing news. Having another QoS-SF break would be torture. Or worse yet, LTK-GE.