How the tight cut-to-the-bone fashion in 'OHMSS' influenced 'SkyFall'

edited October 2012 in Skyfall Posts: 11,119
A very interesting read guys and girls ;-). Maybe it's also a good guide for christmas shopping upcoming december ;-).

http://clothesonfilm.com/on-her-majestys-secret-service-the-primer-for-skyfall/27986/

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Interesting.
    Brilliant analysis, although it might have included more on how Lazenby's suits manage to be close-fitting but still smooth and stylish while Craig's Tom Ford suits are all stretch lines and bulges.
    Craig has a more muscular body than Lazenby did.
    doubleoego wrote:
    Craig has a more muscular body than Lazenby did.

Yup, moreover, Danny is a bit shorter than Georgie.

Muscles, or a bit of fat come to that, should not matter to a good tailor. A well-tailored suit should have a nice, smooth silhouette, not be rippling like a skin-tight t-shirt. I appreciate that the fashion at the moment is for very close fitting suits, but it's not a great look and will not stand the test of time any better than Lazenby's ruffled evening shirt has. Bond should be about timeless style, not fashion. He should be discreetly well-dressed, not fashionably or flamboyantly, as the man in my avatar might be.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    blakewho wrote:
    Muscles, or a bit of fat come to that, should not matter to a good tailor. A well-tailored suit should have a nice, smooth silhouette, not be rippling like a skin-tight t-shirt. I appreciate that the fashion at the moment is for very close fitting suits, but it's not a great look and will not stand the test of time any better than Lazenby's ruffled evening shirt has. Bond should be about timeless style, not fashion. He should be discreetly well-dressed, not fashionably or flamboyantly, as the man in my avatar might be.

True, a good tailor will shape the suit to the body. I'll reserve my thoughts about the clothes till after I watch the film. These clothes were made to be filmed, not photographed. Just like the a coat meant to be worn by a man sitting behind a desk that will look terrible in any other situation (particularly the arms), or one shaped to be worn in everyday life that looks dreadful when a man is wearing it sitting behind a desk (just about every anchorman seems to have badly tailored suits because of that). In a few weeks time I might have an opinion. Unfortunately for this Bond I'll not have my usual immediate professional opinion, my father, but if I remember I might just ask him what he thinks about it when he goes watch it.
    Personally, I think if you have a decent enough physique then the tailored slim-fit suit is the look to go for. It's not about fashion but more of a personal taste. Craig's Tom Ford suits at least in QoS looks great and is a better look. However, the only problem I seem to have with Craig's suits for SF are that the hem of his trousers rise a little too high off his shoes but I need to see the film to give a real analytical verdict.
  • I don't have a problem with Craigs suits. I do have a problem with his earpiece though (it's so obvious! why not just use the CR one?)
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    edited October 2012 Posts: 4,012
    doubleoego wrote:
    Personally, I think if you have a decent enough physique then the tailored slim-fit suit is the look to go for. It's not about fashion but more of a personal taste. Craig's Tom Ford suits at least in QoS looks great and is a better look. However, the only problem I seem to have with Craig's suits for SF are that the hem of his trousers rise a little too high off his shoes but I need to see the film to give a real analytical verdict.

To look better when he's running ;)