"Can you play any other tune?": Who should perform the next Bond theme...?

Comments

• echoecho 007 in New York
    The Property of a Lady...by Lady Gaga.
  • My vote goes to... Róisín Murphy
    We need a strong woman to belt out a decent tune.
  • LudsLuds MIA
    The Property of a Lady...by Lady Gaga.
    That would be a travesty. Or a transvestite, depending on how you look at it*

It = Lady Gaga ;)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Just have Adele do the main theme and then maybe have Shirley Bassey do a song for the closing credits as it is the 50th anniversary.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited June 2011 Posts: 13,882
    Kosheen for the opening theme. And Nobody Does It Better performed by Connery, Lazenby, Moore, Dalton, Brosnan & Craig for the closing theme.*

*Don't look at me like that, it was only a suggestion.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Kosheen for the opening theme. And Nobody Does It Better performed by Connery, Lazenby, Moore, Dalton, Brosnan & Craig for the closing theme.*

*Don't look at me like that, it was only a suggestion.
    \:D/ And what a suggestion. I wonder which of the Bonds can sing.
    We have heard Sean in Dr No =D>
    We have heard Tim in Sextette :-S
    We have heard Roger on The Muppets X_X
    We have heard Pierce in Mama Mia 8-X

On the strength of that, it sounds like a no-no. Sorry Major ;-)
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Dan singing Goldmine In The Sky. We have a winner

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I'd tell him to stick to the day job, but... ;-)
    Scouting for girls done a song I wish I was james bond, so they would certaintly know what it means to do a bond theme and get it right. Also I quite like the suggestion about Adele, she has a great voice that I think would suit Bond
    Personally, I think it should be Joss Stone. She did a wonderful job with the "007 Blood Stone" game. See it here:

She has powerful enough vocals to carry a song without the need of a heavy orchestra to cover a weakness in singing.

Please, let's not be intentionally obtuse and suggest Lady Gaga. I'm not interested in seeing a Bond intro where her silouhette ends up ramming a dildo up Bond's arse before he disintegrates into a hundred gimp suits (and assorted straps).
  • CatCat
    edited June 2011 Posts: 25
    Cat 6:46PM
    Posts: 1 King of Leon is a good group also. In my opinion, ADAM LAMBERT:

would be a perfect choice because this Artist can sing anything. Please see his videos in You Tube or Vevo, then you'll understand why he is one of my favorite all time singers. Adam has a God-given gift of a perfect voice. He can really do justice and sing the next Bond 23 soundtrack.
    Since its a dark bond why not Amon Amarth or Gorgoroth? :)
    MUSE please or Robby Williams
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I very much crave an instrumental opening track for Bond 23. Bring in one of the few greats still alive (Morricone, Shifrin,...) and have them collaborate with the film's composer for a powerful 3 minute opener to the film. Cues can be taken to be blended in with the rest of the score. I don't mind if the singer only shows up for the end titles. It worked for DN, FRWL and OHMSS and I fail to see why it wouldn't work today. Okay, you probably can't sell a lot of 'hit singles' this way but that's what we have the end titles for then. Remember, Titanic didn't open on Celine Dion either...
  • Monsieur_AubergineMonsieur_Aubergine Top of the Eiffel Tower with a fly in my soup!
    edited July 2011 Posts: 642
    Forget a song, we will be fighting over the lyrics for years. Although a full blown bombastic Mr Kiss Kiss Bang Bang would be perfection!!! How about a rousing instrumental akin to OHMSS? Nice proposition DarthDimi.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2011 Posts: 15,686
    There will never be an instrumental opening track for a Bond film again. EON will never give up on the publicity of a sung title song. Sorry, but that's the way it is. There is just too much demand and too much to gain about a sung title song. No need to ask for an instrumental... it will never happen again. Title songs today are all about hit singles, so there is simply no way EON would give up on that. If you want an instrumental, it's only for the end credits, like in TWINE, CR (1st half) and QOS.
    It worked for DN, FRWL and OHMSS and I fail to see why it wouldn't work today. Okay, you probably can't sell a lot of 'hit singles' this way but that's what we have the end titles for then.

Your argument holds absolutly no weight, sorry. It's actually the other way 'round - Opening credits = sung , end credits = instrumental. Huge mistake suggesting otherwise, as it is simply not true anymore. You've said a huge load of rubbish, Dimi, sorry... Opening credits will never, NEVER be instrumental again. That's what end credits are for, to put an instrumental if they want. How anyone can be so far from the truth, is beyond me... You've wrote the exact opposite of the reality.
  • Monsieur_AubergineMonsieur_Aubergine Top of the Eiffel Tower with a fly in my soup!
    There will never be an instrumental opening track for a Bond film again. EON will never give up on the publicity of a sung title song. Sorry, but that's the way it is. There is just too much demand and pros about a sung title song. No need to ask for an instrumental... it will never happen again.
    Well, instrumental out the window then!?

What about Beyonce belting out MKKBB? Sexy, brassy and kind of a tribute by way of resurrecting an 'unused' classic...just hate the thought of the next one being a god awful attempt of balancing profit whilst delivering a half arsed nod to the legacy.
    I'm afraid, @Monsieur_Aubergine... EON has too much to gain on using a sung title song.... And will never give up on this advantage. So if we want another instrumental, we can only hope for one in the end credits... Title songs are all about hit-singles nowadays. EON will never give up on that.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Your argument holds absolutly no weight, sorry. It's actually the other way 'round - Opening credits = sung , end credits = instrumental. Huge mistake suggesting otherwise, as it is simply not true anymore. You've said a huge load of rubbish, Dimi, sorry... Opening credits will never, NEVER be instrumental again. That's what end credits are for, to put an instrumental if they want. How anyone can be so far from the truth, is beyond me... You've wrote the exact opposite of the reality.
    Wow, don't make this personal, DC. #:-s Ultimately, we can only guess. I don't know for sure. You don't know for sure. Relax, buddy. ;;) I was just making a suggestion here.
    Dimi... I was only saying we will never get an instrumental title song again... Sorry, but it's the truth... EON would never turn it's back on the advantage of a sung title song.
    There will never be an instrumental opening track for a Bond film again. EON will never give up on the publicity of a sung title song. Sorry, but that's the way it is. There is just too much demand and too much to gain about a sung title song. No need to ask for an instrumental... it will never happen again. Title songs today are all about hit singles, so there is simply no way EON would give up on that. If you want an instrumental, it's only for the end credits, like in TWINE, CR (1st half) and QOS.
    It worked for DN, FRWL and OHMSS and I fail to see why it wouldn't work today. Okay, you probably can't sell a lot of 'hit singles' this way but that's what we have the end titles for then.

You seem very passionate about this. In defence of Dimi they did say "crave" not 'they (eon) should have'. None of us are experts here, unless we wish to profess otherwise, whilst I agree with healthy discussion I don't think berating someone's firing thoughts is healthy. So I stand by it, great proposition Dimi.
    Great proposition, yes... But not feasible. For the end credits it is possible, but not for the opening titles. Too much to win with a sung title song. I'm afraid title songs are all about hit-singles. Unless a composer like Shafrin or Williams had a go at it, but they won't accept to do it.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    edited July 2011 Posts: 1,261
    No to Lady Gaga :O :-S #:-s :-(( @-) (we had an egomaniac singer and pop star screwing up a Bond Song - although it was the appropriate terribel song for an apprpriate terrible movie).
    No to Paul Potts or Susan Boyle...

Adele, Muse, Michael Buble or Goldfrapp would be fine. But then we know, that BB & MGW always came up with a very unlikely choice, sometimes it worked (CR, TWINE to some extent), but mos times it sucked...

I listened to a french TV show the other night, And Lady Gaga sung a Edith Piaf song in french... Really different than her more commercial pop songs... It was quite good actually.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Madonna also had some great songs, but she screwed up the DAD theme song. That does not mean, that Lady Gaga would screw up as well, but like Madonna, she is, well, very self-centered as a singer.
  • edited July 2011 Posts: 565
    Actually I have to say I listened to Madonna's Die Another Day and it didn't sound half bad as a remembered it. Then I realized, oh wait, it's because the last one nearly made my ears bleed. I really hope they make a more classic/traditional choice for a singer without going overboard by having Bassey sing for the main credits again. I don't like the idea of trying to remake the old, but rather prefer something modern sounding with classic elements. Please, enough with hiring the rock band leaders; I want a solid, classic, modern-day crooner.
    Any of these bands:
    Foreigner, Styx, Rush, REO Speedwagon, or Chicago
    Out of my favorite classic rock bands, these are the ones that I know for sure are still making music, touring, and would be good fits for Bond 23's theme. I'd love to hear one of these bands make Bond 23's theme song!
  • it won't be amy winehouse now.
  • I was never really a fan of the idea of Winehouse doing it...or Duffy...or Adele...it seems that it has more to do with the lazy shorthand of finding a modern singer who sounds "1960s-ish". There's been such a wide variety in the styles of title songs over the years that a slavish devotion to any one style - or trying to recapture the "glory years" sound - isn't needed. Think of how different the title songs are to GF, OHMSS, LALD, TSWLM, TLD, CR...
This discussion has been closed.