Goldeneye Score by Eric Serra: Severely Underrated?

edited October 2012 in Music Posts: 624
I've been dying to buy this album for my collection. I finally bought it when I saw iTunes had it for $7.99.

The Goldeneye Overture is spine tingling. If they ever needed a theme song for the Cold War, I found it.

I do not see why some say Eric Serra is a disgrace. If anything, I'd love for him to do another Bond soundtrack.

Any thoughts?
Eric Serra for Bond 24? (aka Wave- Link) =))

Comments

• I disagree entirely. It deserves the reputation it has. Aside from a few cues here and there, the whole thing is the worst thing to ever happen to the franchise as far as scores go.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 11,189
    I'm watching GE as I type this (it's on the Sky movie channel). It's fine - suits the film quite well in fact. NEVER understood the hostility it gets.

I especially like when its used in Serveneya when Petya is being armed.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I wouldn't like him to do another score, no way. GoldenEye is unique and should remain so.

There are some good cues, and some very good ones. But the bad cues are really bad.

I am glad that his tank chase music was replaced, it belonged in a videogame.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Serra's work is by no means an abomination but as a Bond score it's pretty bad. He gets points for attempting something different but in the end, Bond was absent for 6 years and needed a score that really wowed and made better use of the almost non existent Bond theme. Then there was that dreadful song he did for the end credits, I mean come on, wtf was that?
    I wouldn't like him to do another score, no way. GoldenEye is unique and should remain so.

There are some good cues, and some very good ones. But the bad cues are really bad.

The alternative tank chase music is the only bit I really don't like
    BAIN123 wrote:

You enjoy 'Ladies First'?
    BAIN123 wrote:

Never had a problem with it =;
    BAIN123 wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

Fair enough, I thought the score was interesting as a whole but I always felt that cue and Serra's alternate tank cues stuck out like sore thumbs.
    doubleoego wrote:
    Serra's work is by no means an abomination but as a Bond score it's pretty bad. He gets points for attempting something different but in the end, Bond was absent for 6 years and needed a score that really wowed and made better use of the almost non existent Bond theme. Then there was that dreadful song he did for the end credits, I mean come on, wtf was that?

I always liked that song, even if was a bit out of place. He reused the motif from some of his cues from Leon the previous year. Always found it catchy.
  • I absolutely loathe the GE score. It has to be one of the worst scores ever written for a major film. I think it was a missed opportunity and it even spoils the film for me. No way should Eric Serra be let anywhere near a Bond film again...
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Well, I say good riddance to the guy.
    It's a different take. The idea was to try something a bit different. Some of it doesn't work but most of it does IMO.

The "We Share the Same Passions" theme is lovely and far from terrible.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited October 2012 Posts: 9,117
    BAIN123 wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

Watched the Bluray the other day and I have to say that the sound on these discs is a lot better. I watched TSWLM the day before and Nobody Does It Better and Bond 77 have never sounded so good. However I was brought to earth with a thump as improved sound means you can hear in even more detail how appalling some parts of Serras score are.

The gunbarrel is an horrendous dirge and the Bond theme is audible in rhythm only - after 6 years this was a crushing blow right from the off and it doesnt get much better.

Ladies First is probably the most cringeworthy piece of music ever heard in a Bond film (and I'm including ANWTD in that), it sounds like it was lifted straight from Emmanuelle 7 (wasnt that the one Lazenby was in?).

I can see precisely why they rescored the tank chase as this is the biggest balls out Bond is back sequence in the film and needed the Bond theme back with an orchestral bang not the cast of Stomp.

And as for the end title song? Dear God if this even came on while you were in a lift you would complain at reception when you got to the ground floor - but only after taking the stairs first instead.

I cant really understand what went so badly wrong as Leon is one of my favourite scores of all time.

I obviously have a horrendous taste in music then. I own the damn soundtrack :(

I've honestly never really had an issue with it. I like some of the romantic/sombre cues that occur when Natalya is trapped in Severnaya. I like the music when Bond is in the statue park, I like "We Share the Same Passions", I like "The Scale to Hell".

As for Ladies First? Meh, I've never really been too bothered. The only one I don't like as I said was the tank theme which, thankfully, wasn't included in the final product.

The Experience of Love? Yeah its a fairly forgettable :p
    I will get in before we get the influx of Serra lovers in here.
    I always judge a Bond score by how many times I listen to it and I cn honestly say that after 1995 when the film came out I've probably listened to it once.
    The overture isn't bad, but apart from that its utter garbage, only saved as a soundtrack by having the superb theme tune which thankfully had no input from Serra.
    Probably the reason TND sounded so much better in 1997.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I obviously have a horrendous taste in music then. I own the damn soundtrack :(

I've honestly never really had an issue with it. I like some of the romantic/sombre cues that occur when Natalya is trapped in Severnaya. I like the music when Bond is in the statue park, I like "We Share the Same Passions", I like "The Scale to Hell".

As for Ladies First? Meh, I've never really been too bothered. The only one I don't like as I said was the tank theme which, thankfully, wasn't included in the final product.

The Experience of Love? Yeah its a fairly forgettable :p

I own it as well. The limited edition with the gold disc. I think the reason I listen to it so often is because of the nostalgia factor. I still remember when I heard it first, and saw the film first. My first Bond in the cinema.

So again, that brings us to the difference between liking something and it actually being good, I guess :/
    I find that GE the music does give the movie a different flavor from the other series and while I like the experiment I would suggest that Serra not return for a 2nd helping.
    The music is quite relaxing moodwise whne you are reading in the evening.

And I do have some other soundtracks by Serra because the man does write fairly good stuff and his music does enhance the movies especially those of a early Luc Besson, Nikita and Le Grande Blue.
    This is a very good soundtrack!
    We Share the Same Passion and Whispering Statues (specially when the piano kicks in!) are great! And the overture is magnificent! I'm not that a fan of Ladies First but it combines perfectly with that scene, as the whole soundtrack with the movie.
    I didn't really notice the music the last time I was strapped down and forced to watch GE. The "it says here" dialogue was far worse. And Boris.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 12,837
    I don't think it's terrible. It's unique and I like it but it's not great either.
    actonsteve wrote:
    I didn't really notice the music the last time I was strapped down and forced to watch GE. The "it says here" dialogue was far worse. And Boris.

Don't give me that crap. No one forced you :p

Boris is meant to be annoying - like Sheriff JW Pepper and Rosie Carver.
  • actonsteve wrote:
    "it says here"

Have you ever posted about GE without typing that phrase?
    Just watched GE on the Bond movie channel. Enjoyed it but after viewing it regularly for the last 17 odd years and mastering about 85% of the dialogue long ago I think I may be :-O growing a bit tired of it.

:'(
    actonsteve wrote:
    "it says here"

Its applicable.

Its like they are reciting dialogue that looks good on the page but doesn't come out naturally.

actonsteve wrote:
    actonsteve wrote:
    "it says here"

Its applicable.

Its like they are reciting dialogue that looks good on the page but doesn't come out naturally.

"Wow...now there's a mouthful" :p
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 3,494
    I absolutely loathe the GE score. It has to be one of the worst scores ever written for a major film. I think it was a missed opportunity and it even spoils the film for me. No way should Eric Serra be let anywhere near a Bond film again...

I could not agree more with you. In that spirit, I'd like to treat everyone to a partial preview of my future review of GoldenEye's soundtrack in the originals thread. It comes from two music critics of the time and pretty much sums up my feelings.

Richard von Busack, METRO- "more appropriate for a ride on an elevator than a ride on a rollercoaster". This soundtrack is glorified "muzak" that you'd hear in one. Being technical in one's compositions is fine, but there's got to be heart and soul and passion in a Bond soundtrack and this completely lacks that.

FILMTRACKS- "Serra failed completely in his attempt to tie GoldenEye to the franchise's past". That's a gross understatement. I'd say he hardly paid any attention at all.

• edited October 2012 Posts: 183
    I gotta agree with you @TopGearJB007, I do think it gets too much stick, mainly from the big Barry fans. I think Serra brings a different take to the typical Bond score, and was perfect for Brosnans first film. I wouldn't want Serra doing another, I think GoldenEye should be his only shot, much like Martin, Hamlisch, Conti and Kamen. Tracks like GoldenEye Overture and A Pleasant Drive in St Petersburg (even though it's unused) are great. But it's the damn awful tracks that are present that bring the score down and warp many opinions on the score, even more so Serra's own 'Experience of Love', which I don't know how he got that on the film without it being pulled!

When I look back at GoldenEye as a film, I really wouldn't let anyone else do it when thinking about it. Its Serra's uniqueness as a composer that will be remembered for me, his musical style isn't for all tastes whatsoever, but if you accept Serra's music then you may appreciate the score for GoldenEye.
  • I've heard Serra do much better work. This soundtrack fits Bond worse than OJ's glove. Thank the heavens for Arnold and TND, here's a man whether you like him or not that understands what Bondian music should sound like.
  • I love/hate this score. I love Goldeneye Overture, it's fresh offbeat and just really awesome. Then there's tracks like Ladies First, which is....well, yeah. I appreciate that Serra was going a little bit left field, and it works in some instances and others he just gets way too carried away.
  • It's funny - there is music in GE that I absolutely love and then other cues that are so abysmal that I can't understand how they made it into the finished film.

I love We Share the Same Passions, the Servernaya Suite, and Whispering Statues. Very lush, romantic, and atmospheric. I thought they gave the film a great sound and fit really well into the (at the time) modern world.

But the problem is Ladies First came early in the film and therefore really coloured my opinion of the soundtrack. It's so comic and funky that it seems much more suited to Taxi or the first Transporter film than Bond. And the less said about The Experience of Love the better...
  • I didn't like Serra's score for Goldeneye one bit, in fact when the movie ends and the credits roll, I invariably switch off, it reminds me of cats being castrated