Rate The Last Movie You Saw In Theaters

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited September 2012 Posts: 40,372
    'Resident Evil: Retribution'

It kept me uninterested throughout a good portion of the film. Great opening, and the rest of it was boring, confusing drivel. The whole plot seems to be driven on the fact that the screenwriter just wanted to bring old characters back, which appeared to effect every other aspect of the movie. Action was alright and the 3D was generic and unnecessary. But, I will say that I was happy that
    Alice did what I had hoped for and tore the spiderbot off of Jill's chest, bringing her back to the 'good side.' It's a shame the others didn't experience the same fate.

Since it was confirmed the other day that RE6 will be the final one to the 'second trilogy' - and I surmise the entirety of Paul W.S. Anderson's touch on the 'Resident Evil' series, I'm interested to see how he ends it, and where this zombie world goes from there.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 5,767
    @Creasy47, do you mean Afterlife or Retribution?

The local cinema showed Hitchcock´s
    To catch a Thief.
    I was exactly in the right mood, so I can only give it 10/10.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited September 2012 Posts: 13,882
    @Creasy
    So Jill doesn't die? That is so good to read.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited September 2012 Posts: 28,694
    boldfinger wrote:
    @Creasy47, do you mean Afterlife or Retribution?

To catch a Thief.

Your local theatre is amazing! I wish that happened around my area!
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 12,837
    DREDD: 9/10. Story wise it's similar to The Raid (which is still my film of the year), but the film and Urban nail the Judge Dredd character. Finally my favourite comic character gets a film he can be proud of (liked the Stallone version as it's own film, but not as a Judge Dredd film).

The Sweeney A Sweeney film could've been so much better. The important thing to remember while watching this is: forget the original TV series. Just think of it as a brand new film. And it's a good one. Ray Winstone is the highlight but there's a great car chase and Plan B does well too. It's an entertaining Brit cop movie. But it's not The Sweeney.

8/10
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    The Expendables 2 8/10

I didn't really find it to be better or worse than the first film. This one just had more "Hell Yeah!" moments because of all the old school action heroes. I felt like Arnold was alittle under played (this is his first film returning to acting after all) but he was still awesome. Chuck Norris was one of the better, and more badass, parts of the whole film.
    Really my one and only real big complaint about this film
    Jet Li is only in the first ten minutes of the film and then he leaves. Although in what little time he had he made quite an impresstion.
    @boldfinger, I meant 'Retribution,' apologies.

@MajorDSmythe,
    not only does she not die, but Alice rips the spiderbot off of her and they become friends again in the end, ready to team up for the next film. It was so cool.
    boldfinger wrote:
    To catch a Thief.

Yeah, I didn´t have to think long to consider going. That special theater is dedicated to old films. They sometimes show a whole bunch of 60s Japanese Samurai films, and I saw the newly restaurated version of The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly when the DVD was released. At the moment, there´s a Scorsese retrospective.
    This time, though, there was a book presentation, someone had written a Bio on Grace Kelly. So I had to sit my ass flat for 90min before the film got going.
    I wonder why they don´t have a Bond retrospective. Would sell out within minutes I´m sure.
    The Expendables 2 8/10

I didn't really find it to be better or worse than the first film. This one just had more "Hell Yeah!" moments because of all the old school action heroes. I felt like Arnold was alittle under played (this is his first film returning to acting after all) but he was still awesome. Chuck Norris was one of the better, and more badass, parts of the whole film.
    Jet Li is only in the first ten minutes of the film and then he leaves. Although in what little time he had he made quite an impresstion.
    I would say so too! His impression is much stronger in this film than in the first one, even though he hardly has any screen time.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    boldfinger wrote:
    boldfinger wrote:
    To catch a Thief.

Yeah, I didn´t have to think long to consider going. That special theater is dedicated to old films. They sometimes show a whole bunch of 60s Japanese Samurai films, and I saw the newly restaurated version of The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly when the DVD was released. At the moment, there´s a Scorsese retrospective.
    This time, though, there was a book presentation, someone had written a Bio on Grace Kelly. So I had to sit my ass flat for 90min before the film got going.
    I wonder why they don´t have a Bond retrospective. Would sell out within minutes I´m sure.
    The Expendables 2 8/10

I would say so too! His impression is much stronger in this film than in the first one, even though he hardly has any screen time.

Was the other J. Randy Taraborrelli? He wrote this:
    5845260_f260.jpg
    If so, that is great. I just read a Marilyn Monroe biography by the guy and will look for his other books on Frank Sinatra and the Grace book. If he does a Bogart biography I can die a happy man. I wish I could have been to that theatre. So cool.
    edited September 2012 Posts: 1,812
    Resident Evil: Retribution 7.5/10

It was a good film but it was the worst of the series. At times it just got too corny. Bringing back people who died in the other films was pretty much useless. I like all the films but they are starting to go in a crazy direction.
    It did have great/dark scenes. The climactic fight was the best of the series. Looking forward to the next installment but I hope they tone it back a little bit with the cheesy-over the top moments.

1) Resident Evil: Extinction
    2) Resident Evil: Apocalypse
    3) Resident Evil: Afterlife
    4) Resident Evil
    5) Resident Evil: Retribution
    Was the other J. Randy Taraborrelli? He wrote this:
    5845260_f260.jpg
    If so, that is great. I just read a Marilyn Monroe biography by the guy and will look for his other books on Frank Sinatra and the Grace book. If he does a Bogart biography I can die a happy man. I wish I could have been to that theatre. So cool.
    No, it was a German guy I´m ashamed to say I didn´t even bother to remember the name of, because I´m not at all into biographies, Vic Armstrong´s stunt-tale-laden one being the honorable exception. ;-)
    Resident Evil: Retribution 7.5/10

It was a good film but it was the worst of the series. At times it just got too corny. Bringing back people who died in the other films was pretty much useless. I like all the films but they are starting to go in a crazy direction.
    It did have great/dark scenes. The climactic fight was the best of the series. Looking forward to the next installment but I hope they tone it back a little bit with the cheesy-over the top moments.

1) Resident Evil: Extinction
    2) Resident Evil: Apocalypse
    3) Resident Evil: Afterlife
    4) Resident Evil
    5) Resident Evil: Retribution
    I saw it last night. While I prefer the weird parts and the over-the-top elements to blood-smeared zombies (and thus would rank it approximately second), somewhere in the middle of the film I stopped caring, because if everybody including Alice herself can re-appear it becomes like a stale video game where it doesn´t matter when it´s turned off.

• A few weeks back I went to see Pixar's Brave. Will have to check it out again as I had a terrible 3D experience. I hate 3D anyway but there wasn't a 2D showing. The film was way too dark and I had to continue adjusting the 3D glasses over my own glasses...In the end I took off the glasses and the sudden burst of colour was just mind blowing...Plus all the interior scenes were sooooo dark I couldn't see what was going on.......no more 3D films for me (even if there are no 2D showings I will wait for the bluray!)
    A few weeks back I went to see Pixar's Brave. Will have to check it out again as I had a terrible 3D experience. I hate 3D anyway but there wasn't a 2D showing. The film was way too dark and I had to continue adjusting the 3D glasses over my own glasses...In the end I took off the glasses and the sudden burst of colour was just mind blowing...Plus all the interior scenes were sooooo dark I couldn't see what was going on.......no more 3D films for me (even if there are no 2D showings I will wait for the bluray!)

IMAX: 500,000,000,000,000,000 3D: 0
    Just got back from seeing Rian Johnson's 'Looper,' and what a wonderful film. Touching, totally different than you would expect, great bits of action and drama throughout, and one of those films that gets you thinking when you leave. I would really recommend this, and am looking forward to seeing it again.
    I received free tickets to see the Bourne legacy and went with a friend who has seen the whole series so far.

I found that the Renner installment had a decent story, some good actionscenes and generally felt more like a Ludlum story than the three previous installments. For a reboot it was a more than decent installment. Only the ending was kinda abrupt and was defenitaly an open door for a next installment.
    Found the Drone sequence in Alaska pretty good stuff.

Renner makes for me a more than decent follow-up for Damon. I also hope to see him in the next MI installment. So far Renner has had a pretty good year in movies.

And mrs Craig has always been a sight for sore eyes. Daniel did good there.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 12,837
    @SaintMark I'm glad I'm not the only one who enjoyed Legacy. I do think Renner should've just been playing Bourne though, instead of a new chracter.

Saw Looper last night. 9/10. Really good fun, some great action and some of it is pretty moving. Th acting was really good and Willis kicks arse as always.

My only issue is, I think they could've done more to make Gordon Levitt look like young Bruce Willis. He got all the mannerisms and everything right, but when you look at young Tommy Lee Jones in MIB 3, it makes me think they could've done better there.
    @SaintMark I'm glad I'm not the only one who enjoyed Legacy. I do think Renner should've just been playing Bourne though, instead of a new chracter.

I actually like it that Renner is not Bourne, but somebody like him. The original Ludlum Bourne was a professor that after his tales went back to teaching with Marie defending him and their kids. The movies made Bourne a special kind of agent and his tale was discovering his origin, which he did in the last one.
    This movie showed us the consequences of Bournes actions on the program that created him and the reaction towards his "brothers & sisters" in the program. Now we have two former operatives betrayed by their masters, and they are highly skilled too.

An excellent jumpingpoint for Bourne 5

Dredd 8.5/10

It was so much better than the 90's one. I can see a sequel in the future.
    @QsAssistant, everyone I've talked to said it was great fun with a very big 'The Raid' vibe. I've been looking forward to it since I saw the first trailer.
    I actually haven't seen "The Raid" but I've heard the same thing too. From the trailers I've seen for "The Raid" they seem to have the same set up.
    Though I'm sure there's a lot more story to 'Dredd,' 'The Raid' is essentially a five-minute setup of the plot, 90 minutes of pure, non-stop action, and then five minutes of credits.
    lol I had no idea. "Dredd" has more than just a five-minute plot. Nothing thought provoking but still a plot nontheless.
    Dredd 8.5/10

It was so much better than the 90's one. I can see a sequel in the future.

It made NO money, so unless it picks up a use DVD/BRAY market I doubt they'll pass a sequel.

'It's not about the money.. it's about sending a message.."
    NO, it's about the money.
  • DREDD seems to be a bit of a LTK: It makes money in the UK but is thought of as a flop in America :(

I was really hoping for a sequel too.
    Argo

A really interesting film that mixes drama and some hilarious moments perfectly. Everything from the clothing, the cars, technology and more is extremely in touch with the period of the film. Ben leads the film with a deep character, and how the history of the event is put on the screen is great. There are plenty of on your edge moments. It will require a few watches to get the full affect of it (it is jargon heavy), but I am happy with it.
    Taken 2 7/10

I very much like the first film. The second I had high hopes for and it didn't live up to it. Still was pretty good but when it ended I found myself going, "Oh! It's over already? Ok." It just felt like it didn't have much to it. They way it ended leaves an opening for a third. Like when
    Bryan askes Murad that if he kills him Murad's family will come for him and Murad answers yes. Then Bryan kills him.
    If they want to I'll be for it. I just want them to make it more epic than the second.
    @QsAssistant, both the director and Neeson agreed that they wouldn't do a third before the film came out. Now that the second came out and performed well enough, a third film is already in the works. Quite sad, really, that they aren't sticking by their word. But, that's the way Hollywood works.
    Jack Reacher 9.5/10

Loved this film but I also feel that a second viewing can change one's opinion of it, but not by that much. This may be one of Tom Cruise's better roles, even though I hear he looks nothing like the character in the books. The movie makes me want to check out Lee Child's series. I thought about 98% of the film was darn good except for two parts...
    When Jack is running from the cops, he casually walks out of the car and up to the people waiting for the bus. All of them helped him escape without knowing why he was running from the police. When in reality at least one of them would of given him up. That scene would've been better if none of them saw him leave the car and Jack just walks up the group without any of them noticing.
    The other thing is the ending. The ending was great but I wish I would've got more info on what happens to Barr, since a good portion was about saving him.
    I'll do a couple

Les Mis 6/10

I'm an actor. I do musicals. I love Les Mis the musical. But I had some major problems with the film. When you are adapting a 3 hour musical to a film, you must keep in mind that the audience does not get an intermission for a film. So yes I know there are some beautiful songs that Tom Hooper probably did not want to cut, but this film could have been at least 30 minuets shorter by cutting some songs. Also, the film is supposed to be epic in scale but when some of these amazing songs only show an actor's face, it get's old. That being said, the cast is outstanding. I'm not sure why Russel Crow is getting hate, he was great. And you can't HATE this film because Les Mis itself is fantastic. So overall, could of been better, still enjoyable though. Just make sure you pee beforehand.

Django Unchained 10/10

I do not like Quentin Tarantino as a person. I find him arrogant, selfish, and rude. But damn he can make a film! Everything about this film is great. Foxx, DiCaprio, Jackson, and Waltz are all Oscar worthy. The story is simple but engaging. The film looks fantastic and is also much funnier than I thought. One of my complaints about some of Tarantino's other films is that they seemed long just for the sake of being long. That's not the case here. The pacing is great and it never gets boring. Spike Lee doesn't know what he's missing! Great film
  • Les Miserables- 10/10

Tom Hooper did a great job directing the film. Great performance, the set designs were beautiful & Oscar contender. It's now on my list of my favourite Musical films.