Adele - 'Skyfall' title song discussion

Comments

• ryan which chart is this no1, apart from itunes
    definitely Number 4, as per the official chart organisers
    http://www.officialcharts.com/singles-chart/
    No. 4. Not bad going, seeing as the song has only been available for a couple of days. I can see this going straight in at No. 1 by this time next week.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    A very good start, for just three days of sales. Let's hope somewhere in the next three weeks it takes the number one spot, it may even be the weekend of the 26th - 28th too. That would be nice.

Thanks for reporting.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Very good, considering it was released not even 3 days ago!
    Samuel001 wrote:
    A very good start, for just three days of sales. Let's hope somewhere in the next three weeks it takes the number one spot, it may even be the weekend of the 26th - 28th too. That would be nice.

Thanks for reporting.
    Forget the next 3 weeks. This will be No. 1 next week, I'm certain of it.

edited October 2012 Posts: 13,350
    I'm pleased you're so certain of it @jetsetwilly. I take it, this song will just earn the one week at the top of the charts? They're so many new singles coming out these days after all.
  • Sandy wrote:
    Probably less than 48 hours of download-only sales reported, mostly from iTunes UK. Still a good shot at a UK No. 1 this coming week, or perhaps as late as Nov. 4 (after both film & physical single are out). Even if this is its peak it's still the third-highest charting Bond theme ever in the UK, after AVTAK (2) & DAD (3).

As far as the U.S., the new Billboard charts will release later this week, but its late release will likely delay it on the airplay side of the Hot 100 (mixed sales & airplay, unlike the UK charts) even more than the sales side. I expect it'll be at least another week before it becomes the second Bond theme to top the Hot 100 (after AVTAK).
    darrenr wrote:
    In at Number 4.........not bad for barely 24 hours of sales to get counted in the week!

Hopefully it will get the momentum in the next week for the number one spot?

The rankings you're seeing now, are solely based on iTunes downloads. Don't forget that most national charts are being updated during the weekend, and 'Skyfall' only got released past Friday.

Tomorrow, when all record stores are fully supplied with Adele's new single 'Skyfall', the charts can actually start checking the tangible sales of the CD's. Moreover, DJ's will slowly start giving full airplay on the radiowaves repeatedly during the upcoming week.

We have to wait for next Saturday's chart releases in the USA and the UK. Only then we can see what the combination of internet sales, downloads, tangible CD sales and airplay on radio and TV channels has done to Adele's popularity. So just be a bit more patient lads :-).

RBBrittain wrote:
    Sandy wrote:
    Probably less than 48 hours of download-only sales reported, mostly from iTunes UK. Still a good shot at a UK No. 1 this coming week, or perhaps as late as Nov. 4 (after both film & physical single are out). Even if this is its peak it's still the third-highest charting Bond theme ever in the UK, after AVTAK (2) & DAD (3).

As far as the U.S., the new Billboard charts will release later this week, but its late release will likely delay it on the airplay side of the Hot 100 (mixed sales & airplay, unlike the UK charts) even more than the sales side. I expect it'll be at least another week before it becomes the second Bond theme to top the Hot 100 (after AVTAK).

Yup, you're a bit earlier in replying than me ;-). You are right.
    Am I the only one who is reminded a bit of 'Nobody Does it Better'?
    Isn't it a bit odd that a music video hasn't been released yet? Anyone have any intel?
  • It gets better and better. It's stuck in my head and what I really love about it is the epic feeling it creates. Know I am heavily avoiding spoilers... but I hope the plot and the twists will be as fitting and epic! The song really gets me more and more curious what Skyfall acutally is!
    Still think they could have made more of it, but it's a great Bond song.
    The only part I am still not sold on is this middle part "Where you go I go..." or something like that. It really feels very random to me...

And regarding AWTD, since some were talking about it. I understand the criticism though I am still surprised by all the hatred. I actually really like it, even though it's flawed and I still wish Keys would have been left out.
    It feels like "Ok Jack White is cool but we need someone more mainstream". Imo Alicia Keys is the true weak link.
    Also, White is not for everybody. It's still a bit unique music, and his voice is surely not universally liked.
    I am a big Jack White fan and while it surely isn't one of the best works, I still enjoy it. Especially the riff.
    The lyrics are open for dispute, but imo there is very good material in there. Some really goes back to the books imo e.g. "Another gun thrown down in surrender took away your fear"
    It gets better and better. It's stuck in my head and what I really love about it is the epic feeling it creates. Know I am heavily avoiding spoilers... but I hope the plot and the twists will be as fitting and epic! The song really gets me more and more curious what Skyfall acutally is!
    The only part I am still not sold on is this middle part "Where you go I go..." or something like that. It really feels very random to me...

And regarding AWTD, since some were talking about it. I understand the criticism though I am still surprised by all the hatred. I actually really like it, even though it's flawed and I still wish Keys would have been left out.
    It feels like "Ok Jack White is cool but we need someone more mainstream". Imo Alicia Keys is the true weak link.
    Also, White is not for everybody. It's still a bit unique music, and his voice is surely not universally liked.
    I am a big Jack White fan and while it surely isn't one of the best works, I still enjoy it. Especially the riff.
    The lyrics are open for dispute, but imo there is very good material in there. Some really goes back to the books imo e.g. "Another gun thrown down in surrender took away your fear"

That's the thing. Bond is for everybody, not just those happy few who adore Jack White (By the way, I like rock, and even think Jack White is awesome in its own genre. But for Bond? A big no)
    Does anybody actually know what Adele is causing? 'Skyfall' is not very 'typical' Adele if you ask me, especially when comparing her biggest hits from the albums '19' and '21'. 'Skyfall' is according to our ears much more Bond-ian, but I have a gut feeling that many young Adele fans don't even know what the 'typical Bond sound' is. They just think that this is a prelude to a different, much more melodious, harmonieus sound. A bit like the female version of Michael Bublé.

So logically, Adele introduces the Bond sound we all love to a new audience. I'm pretty certain this will cause part of the 'Bond-buzz' this year. Off course, Bond-mania like in the 'Thunderball' years will not happen anymore. But I think 'Skyfall' will get close.
  • It gets better and better. It's stuck in my head and what I really love about it is the epic feeling it creates. Know I am heavily avoiding spoilers... but I hope the plot and the twists will be as fitting and epic! The song really gets me more and more curious what Skyfall acutally is!

That's the thing. Bond is for everybody, not just those happy few who adore Jack White (By the way, I like rock, and even think Jack White is awesome in its own genre. But for Bond? A big no)

Adele surely is for more people than White, I agree. "The few who adore Jack White" sounds a bit too negative imo but of course Adele is the bigger hit for the radio.
    Still imo, White has done a solid Bond song. That it is more controversial, goes without saying. But that it's so universally hated really suprises me.

• AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    Good start for the song so far...
  • @LotusEsprit I'm a big fan of Jack White and I do like the riff, but I think AWTD is the worst Bond song and easily Whites worst song.

It's Amy Winehouse's fault really for dropping out. If White had done it solo (Keys just seemed shoved in and their voices don't fit), and had been given more time, we could've gotten a great theme.
  • @LotusEsprit I'm a big fan of Jack White and I do like the riff, but I think AWTD is the worst Bond song and easily Whites worst song.

It's Amy Winehouse's fault really for dropping out. If White had done it solo (Keys just seemed shoved in and their voices don't fit), and had been given more time, we could've gotten a great theme.

I actually quite like AWTD although I agree that White doing it solo (and having at least one more pass at re-writing it or using different production) would have helped.

Did Winehouse really "drop out"? My understanding was that she was dropped (as opposed to dropping out) because she wasn't able/willing to do the work on the song and either Ronson or Arnold had finally had enough...

I think that's right @thelordflasheart. With all of Winehouse's problems it just didn't work and she was let go. Who knows how bad it got.
  • I am too confident that White could have done so much better solo and with more time! I like it as it is but as I said, it's flawed and surely not some of his best work.

Don't know much about Winehouse, never cared much for her. She probably would have done a solid Bond song but I never actually liked her and her music.
    As much as I know, they wanted her to do it but because of her "situation" she was not able to do so. I believe Ronsons even did some work on a song didn't he?
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Now up to 17,061,729 for You Tube views.

Make that 17,061,730.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Winehouse could've done a good Bond song, she was going through lots around that time. A Bond theme from her around DAD to CR time would've been great.

But no, I think Jack White was a better choice for QOS (and not just because I prefer the rock themes). It was Keyes, and the time limit, that were the problems.
    Anyone seen this? Nice little acoustic version:

• MartinBondMartinBond Trying not to muck it up again
    One of the better youtube-people I've heard, but why on earth did she try and turn it into a jazzy tune? X_X
    adelefan wrote:

I think it is because Skyfall theme is not on the soundtrack lis by Amazon.
  • MartinBondMartinBond Trying not to muck it up again
    I really didn't think Adele would make such a deal. I was pretty pissed when Cornell did it, and now - if true - again...
    Great song, shame about the singer, needs Shirley bassey to do it justice. However it is tons better then the last one!!
    MartinBond wrote:
    I really didn't think Adele would make such a deal. I was pretty pissed when Cornell did it, and now - if true - again...

This is sheer marketing. I can't blaim Chris Cornell and Adele. But it seems it works better to get a bigger audience for Adele then if it was part from a bigger, more expensive soundtrack CD. Don't forget, now you have two merchandise items: a soundtrack CD and Adele's new single. It simple means more money. And be prepared that from now on this will keep happening.