A Blast from the Past

edited October 2012 in General Discussion Posts: 11
I didn't sleep last night, so bear with me if my thoughts seem a little disjointed.

I know there's a ton of new folks who have no clue who I am. It's been a long time since I've been here. I feel like a complete and utter stranger, but because today marks 50 years since Dr. No first premiered, I thought I'd check in and look around. No telling if I'll be stick around for any length of time. We'll see.

Luds and a few others of you may know that not too long before the old forum was demolished, I began working as a pastor. Among other things, I remember writing a little at the time about how my faith intersected with my view of Bond. If that topic still interests anyone, I've posted on my blog today about lessons Christians can take away from Diamonds Are Forever. CLICK HERE to read that post. If you have feedback on that, I'd love to hear it.

Besides that, though, I'd just like to hear from anyone who remembers me. If I haven't talked to you in a while, let me know what's new with you. Let me know you're out there!

BTW, the one and only trailer I've seen for Skyfall looks good, so I'm starting to get excited. Don't spoil it for me! ;) I haven't seen any stills, read any plot points, looked at the cast list or listened to the theme song yet - trying to go in as clean-slate as possible!

Comments

• doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles Moderator
    @kyvanºº7

A hearty welcome back, my friend. Good to see you here. I didn't know you'd become a pastor, but then I suppose there's a lot we never know about our fellow members.

Interesting that you talk about faith and Bond. Bond's faith is often tested and he's often forced to do something immoral for a greater good. He sometimes has the role of God's agent, if you will - the only person who can stop a nefarious plot. Which is why I prefer a more human interpretation of him, because it should be a regular person who should be tested, not a superman - otherwise the test means nothing if you have nothing to lose. Anyway, I will read your post.

You're in good shape for a spolier free Skyfall. Just keep your eyes out of the picture and video threads.

Anyway, I know we didn't always see eye to eye, but I never had any bad feelings. I'm glad to see you back.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Nice to see you @kyvan. It might seem like you're a stranger, but I'm sure there are enough of the 'oldies' who will remember you.
    As for Skyfall, well be weary of venturing into any of the Skyfall topics. They are laced with spoilers.
    Always got the older movies to discuss, and as far as I know, no-one has started a Pink Panther thread yet ???
    Nothing like a shot in the dark...even from a blast from the past.
    ;)
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    What a turn up! I would have never expected this - never. Hello again @kyvanºº7.

Going into Skyfall as you are, should really be a thrill. Well done for keeping clean all this time.

I'm doing well, as one of the only long serving members left who isn't a mod. Everyone else jumped ship.

You'd be welcomed back by many, if only to be our search engine again. :)

I hope to see you around.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 183
    I remember you, though I had nothing to do with you I'm afraid (my username back then was Bond. James Bond - a username I hated), but nice to see you back.

As you've brought the whole 'Blast from the Past' up - I myself have only just started to return to this forum since the whole revamp, whatever happened to the likes of folks like 'Luds' and 'SimonTM'? A lot vanished from the site because of their dislike of the revamp (like 'B.Brown'), but they have accounts in MI6 community, but even they went the way of the Dodo all of a sudden - and 'Luds' is still classified as a Mod on here...

PS - I like how you've kept your original avatar!
  • edited November 2020 Posts: 121
  • nick_007nick_007 Ville Marie
    kyvan!

Well you certainly made this Bond day special! Nice to see you again. :)
    No idea who you are/were mate, but for me Bond has zip to do with God, Buddha, Allah, Zeus or Superman. He is a great spy who kills for human reasons. For a human government, and a very human Queen.
    But welcome back.
  • Welcome back @kyvan007! I do indeed remember you. I sorta just got going again with this forum as well since the old one was demolished. Still same user name. Been a member since 2004. Its great to see Bond fans coming together after so much time to enjoy each movie as it comes out and discuss them among our peers. Great to have you back. Glad to see if still have your old avatar, not sure if they offer it here yet. Haven't figured out/spent the time to learn how to really customize my profile yet.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 11
    @OddJaws, I found an article online a few months ago that claimed there was a book about "The Seven Deadly Sins", and Fleming had supposedly written the forward. In this forward, they said, Fleming explained how the 7 sins were each represented somehow in the villains of Bond novels. I haven't looked for the book, so I don't know if it's true, but if it is, I think it's interesting. Interesting to think about, anyway.

I think all areas of life have something to do with God, whether we recognize it or not, but we often just don't see it or choose not to. Ultimately, though, whether Fleming had something religious in mind or not, I just try to point out truths we can glean from him. That's basically the whole point of my blog anyway - I take what's often not considered to be Christian movies/music/TV, and I just try to show some of the Biblical truths I see in the stories. It's like I see most things as parables, and I'm just trying to explain the parables as I understand them.

Either way, glad to meet you, and if you don't see it like me, no reason we can't get along. ;)

@doubleonothing, I agree that Bond's no Superman. He at least raises some questions for us about how we would handle the same situations, eh? Coincidentally, I've also written about Superman on my blog! :) And you're right - no hard feelings. Never were here.

Nice to see some familiar names, even if the avatars don't all match! I couldn't change mine after all this time if I wanted to! :D
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 144

As an Atheist, I'll never see it like you do mate. But I totally respect everyone's right to their own opinion. Which is why I gave mine above. Good to meet you, I'm sure we'll meet again down the road somewhere. ;)
    There's a strong biblical connection with 007...

I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

I think that was after Moses had just watched The Spy Who Loved Me or something. Humming Nobody Does It Better sycophantically while god was chiseling out the ten commandments.
    @OddJaws No worries. ;) I'm all for sharing differing opinions - can be a very healthy thing. It's only when people descend into bickering and insults that there's a problem.
    Anon wrote:
    There's a strong biblical connection with 007...

I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

I think that was after Moses had just watched The Spy Who Loved Me or something. Humming Nobody Does It Better sycophantically while god was chiseling out the ten commandments.

:D :D :D
    This really made me laugh.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    Ahh, @kyvan. Welcome back sir!
  • Nice to see you back Kyvan, I too am a recently returned member from the old forums. I've been keeping away from spoilers and the theme song too. As a hard line atheist, I'm not sure how much I can take away from your blog, but it was an interesting read. I find it strange that someone with so much faith in the message of the bible can be such a fan of a film series based upon a cold blooded, womanising assassin.
  • Happy Bond day indeed.
    @JawsIsAlive, I know it seems almost odd that I would be such a Bond fan, but I just grew up with that interest in spy films, and the Bond films are very appealing. As I said in my blog, he's not really a good role model for Christians, but he does have some good qualities.

I think the Biblical truths I listed might still be helpful to you, even if you aren't a Christian. You just have to strip them down to their bare essences. Maybe look at them this way:

#1) It's not always easy to know what's right or wrong, so you have to be careful.
    #2) People can influence you toward good or bad, so be careful who you follow.
    #3) Good things lead to good results; bad things lead to bad results.
    #4) Education and knowledge are good because they can help us to do good things.
    #5) You should rely on friends you can trust (so try to know who they are) to help you in hard times.
    #6) There is value in being honest about who you are and what you believe.
    #7) Persistence and patience pay off in the end.

To me, you lose a lot by trying to cut the Scriptures out of those points - God makes them so much richer, IMO - but truth is still truth. Hope that's helpful to you!

In any event, thanks for reading through my post!

Hello to you others! :D
  • @Samuel001 I'm afraid my days as a search engine are a permanent thing of the past. Just don't have the time or energy to take that up again! ;) I'm sure some are breathing a sigh of relief at that news!
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 4,622
    Hello to you @kyvan007 ! Great to hear from you again! When I saw the thread title, I thought someone might have started a rare Raymond Benson discussion thread, but even better, it's yourself returning to the fray. I will check out your blog for sure. As for Christian themes in Fleming, I'm sure you've read chapter 20 of CR, The Nature of Evil. I thought Fleming engaged some interesting reflections regarding the biblical presentation of both good and evil in that chapter. Poor Mathis doesn't know quite what to make of Bond's/Fleming's ramblings, but the two manage to thrash things out. Fleming's occasional musings on life/death/morality, almost anything really, always served I thought as engaging diversions, within the scope of his broader top-notch thriller writing.
    Edit: Excellent Bondian blog posting Keyvan! A short, sweet, easy read, made that much more enjoyable in that it was entirely devoted to the entertainment spectacle that is DAF, the film. I've always maintained that there is no shortage of inspired thematic tidings permeating this tour de force of Connery/Barry/Bassey/Hamilton/Mankiewicz/Saltz/Cubby, Bondian brilliance. btw your grasp of scripture is inspired. Look forward to reading more of your postings.
  • Hi there Kyvan007, I never was one of the main stays that Luds et. all. are, but since you left it open ended, I will say I remember you as you had joined the old forums right at about when I did. One of few who provides thoughtful, in-depth postings. Welcome back!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited October 2012 Posts: 13,350
    kyvan7 wrote:
    Nice to see some familiar names, even if the avatars don't all match!

After all this time, I'm still searching for mine online!
    kyvan7 wrote:
    @Samuel001 I'm afraid my days as a search engine are a permanent thing of the past. Just don't have the time or energy to take that up again! ;) I'm sure some are breathing a sigh of relief at that news!

No need to worry. We've found the secret tip to solve the problem. :)
    @timmer Thanks for the kind words. It's been a long time since I read CR, so I might have to give it another spin when I get some free time. Glad you enjoyed the post, too. There is a Content Guide on the blog that might help you find posts on other topics you like, but so far this is my only one about Bond. I put a lot of time, thought, prayer and care into each post.

@JamesStock I remember you. Thanks for your kind words, too. I always thought my "thoughtful, in-depth postings" were so long-winded nobody bothered to read them! ;) :D

@mathis007 and others who commented on my avatar, when the old forum was demolished and they made it available for just a couple days, I rushed over and saved one thread I had worked hard on and I copied my avatar and put it up here, and that was all I got before it was gone again!