Worst Bond song

Comments

Murdock wrote:
    I've always love the melody of Die Another Day, but I dislike Madonna's singing. "Sigmund Freud" ugh why is that even in the Lyrics? :-?
    Okay, I listened to the song to hear that line again, and literally laughed out loud when it came on.

DAD is not only an insult to Bond songs, but it is an insult to music in general. Surely one of the worst 'big studio' songs ever made.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 418
    Mine would be - Die Another Day..
    Here's quite a good ranking from a dedicated online fan. Should cause debate.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/features/1622/ranking-the-bond-opening-theme-songs
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    Worst : All Time High (even though I like it)

Very Worst : Die Another Day (pleasant beat and violins until Madonna's voice and stupidest lyrics came in)

Worst of the Worst : AWTD (a duet ? Almost from opposite style ?! it's a shame; nothing Bond in it or not tuned). That's fixed at this place until the end of time, IMO.
  • SuperheroSithSuperheroSith SE London
    This is a mega-controversy, but Nobody Does It Better just sounds pitchy to me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=6bhONnn3HH8
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    SJK91 wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    I've always love the melody of Die Another Day, but I dislike Madonna's singing. "Sigmund Freud" ugh why is that even in the Lyrics? :-?
    Okay, I listened to the song to hear that line again, and literally laughed out loud when it came on.

DAD is not only an insult to Bond songs, but it is an insult to music in general. Surely one of the worst 'big studio' songs ever made.

The instrumental version isn't bad. However this is the best thing to come out of it.
    (it's not for everyone but I love this remix.)
    Rethinking this one...I think Another Way to Die still takes it...but a runner up:

License to Kill

It's just so bland and generic sounding to me. There's nothing interesting about the song.

*Controversy* I actually don't mind Die Another Day. It's something different and fits the Title Sequence well IMO.
    JBFan626 wrote:
    Rethinking this one...I think Another Way to Die still takes it...but a runner up:

License to Kill

It's just so bland and generic sounding to me. There's nothing interesting about the song.

*Controversy* I actually don't mind Die Another Day. It's something different and fits the Title Sequence well IMO.

I like Licence to Kill but it's a bit uninspired. It uses parts of Goldfinger and A View To A Kill in it's melody.
    The Man with the Golden Gun was terrible.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 5,745
    WVPoef wrote:
    The Man with the Golden Gun was terrible.

Good night, good night, sleep well my dear.

@JWESTBROOK No need to fear....James Bond is HERE!!!!! :)
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 5,745
    Murdock wrote:

That song makes me smile everytime I hear it.
    They should use it the next time they introduce Craig at the press release for Bond 24.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Murdock wrote:

They should use it the next time they introduce Craig at the press release for Bond 24.

Oh my god yes! That would be amazing and hilarious at the same time. TMWTGG is one of my favorite Bond songs. :)
    Murdock wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Murdock wrote:

Oh my god yes! That would be amazing and hilarious at the same time. TMWTGG is one of my favorite Bond songs. :)

Hell, they should use it anywhere Craig is. Walks into a pub: JAMES BOND IS HEEEEERRRRAAAAAHHHHH!!
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Murdock wrote:

Hell, they should use it anywhere Craig is. Walks into a pub: JAMES BOND IS HEEEEERRRRAAAAAHHHHH!!

Make it a special door ringer. When he walks in, it says JAMES BOND IS HERE!!!! for everyone else. Ding Dong. :))
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 546
    Hands down Quantum of Solace & You Only Live Twice theme songs.
  • AliAli
    AWTD is bloody awful, as is DAD. But I'm also not a fan of All Time High, FYEO (come on, it's horribly feeble) and Moonraker. And can we include Never Say Never Again here, because that's terrible as well.

On the other hand, can we have a lot more Chris Cornell style themes? By far and away my favourite now.
    I love the Jack white/Keys song in its cut down version in the films opening credits, sped up and cut down.

Madonna DAD was woeful
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 1,405
    I don't know where the hatred for Madonna's Die Another Day comes from.
    I think, unlike the movie, that's it's a good song from beginning to end.
    The worst is Thunderball, I find it dull, cannot stand it the whole way. Secondly, Another Way to Die is pretty awful.
    Ali wrote:
    On the other hand, can we have a lot more Chris Cornell style themes? By far and away my favourite now.
    AVTAK is sort of like that. My fave now. Cornell comes 2nd
    JBFan626 wrote:

License to Kill

It's just so bland and generic sounding to me. There's nothing interesting about it
    OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Here's my list:

1) Sheryl Crow - TND
    2) Jack White & Alicia Keys - Another way to die
    3) Garbage - TWINE
    4) Madonna - DAD
    5) Lulu - TMWTGG
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 153
    Here's my Bottom Three of the Bond Themes:

The Man With the Golden Gun
    -They really should have used Alice Cooper's version. That rendition rocks.

Another Way to Die
    -Perhaps the biggest missed opportunity for a James Bond title theme. Maybe if it went in the vein of "Seven Nation Army", rather than a generic tune with nonsense lyrics, unnecessary brass, and a lame excuse to jump in the flavor of the month.

Die Another Day
    -Here's how it is, courtesy of http://www.the-editing-room.com/dieanotherday.html
    I’m gonna f*** up, this sequence
    I’m gonna synthpop, to torture
    I’m gonna clash with, visuals
    I’m gonna cash my check right now!
    Guess I’ll buy a new chalet!
    Guess I’ll buy a nice fillet!
    Guess I’ll buy most of Bombay!
    Guess I’ll buy, while you all pay!

• DAD isn't that bad - to my ears, anyway. All Time High by Rita Coolidge, however, is an atrocity of epic proportions.

IMO, the three worst Bond songs run in consecutive films - MR, FYEO and OP (with OP's the worst by a country mile).

The top three songs for me stand head and shoulders above the rest - You Know My Name, Thunderball and A View To A Kill.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 115
    For me, it would also be The Man With The Golden Gun, Die Another Day and Another Way To Die. But I also don't think much of For Your Eyes Only, All Time High and You Know My Name. They're all right but they're not the type of songs I'd associate with the Bond franchise.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    edited December 2012 Posts: 1,400
    Die Another Day by Madonna. I don't think this will be the last time its mentioned in on this thread.
    You're right.

Die Another Day. But the QoS song is -close-.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    =bg= wrote:
    Die Another Day by Madonna. I don't think this will be the last time its mentioned in on this thread.
    You're right.

Die Another Day. But the QoS song is -close-.

The QOS song sounds like it was recorded on ten different locations... or is it just "off"? :-?
  • DrunkIrishPoetDrunkIrishPoet The Amber Coast
    Oh, the Madonna Abomination
    makes me want to die another day, too!
    actonsteve wrote:
    Just going away from main Bond intros, can I add Eric Serra's Exprience of Love and KD lang's Surrender were pretty bad, t

I cant remember 'Experience of Love' but if it is anything like the soft-rock they stick at the end of alot of Brosnan pics I am not surprised.

However,

KD Langs 'Surrender' is the undiscovered treasure of the Bond genre. This big ballsy belt of a song shivers my timbers and it is delivered with gusto and panache. Its a classic Bond diva song and as any Bond fan would tell you should have been the title song.

Back in 1997 as the light faded on Michelle and Pierces final scene and I was wistfully saying "that wasn't that good" to myself.

I was stopped in my tracks by this big song starting up as I was leaving the auditorium. That and Dr Kaufman were the only things that really worked for me.

Missed what I bolded above. Absofreakinlutely right, spot on observation. I had the same experience, the minute I heard that big brass start up I wasn't leaving. I seriously question anyone who thinks Crow's song was better and better suited for the intro. Then again, there are people who think the Goldfinger theme sung by the great DSB stinks too. Horrid, appalling personal taste IMHO. "Surrender" ranks with the greatest songs in the series, no question whatsoever.

The problem I have with "Experience Of Love" is not so much the song itself, but the fact that it's almost a stone cold ripoff of Bryan Ferry and Roxy Music. They should have gotten Ferry to sing it, it would have better. Of course, any song in GE pales next to the title song. It's all downhill from there. Whereas with DAD and AWTD, it was all uphill after that dreck was out of the way.

I've always thought Surrender was a great song and KD Lang a great choice. YKMN is also a very decent Arnold effort. Both of them rank as the two best since LTK, IMO. I didn't mind AWTD that much. The orchestration and obviously the odd singing let it down. SF was/is totally forgettable to me. Not actively bad like Garbage, Crow and Madge, but just limp and tuneless. I expected more from Adele.
    DAD isn't that bad - to my ears, anyway. All Time High by Rita Coolidge, however, is an atrocity of epic proportions.

IMO, the three worst Bond songs run in consecutive films - MR, FYEO and OP (with OP's the worst by a country mile).

The top three songs for me stand head and shoulders above the rest - You Know My Name, Thunderball and A View To A Kill.

Funny, I have always put Thunderball near the bottom of my list. Dreadful song and TJ just belts it out with zero subtelty as usual. I know Bassey basically does the same thing but she can atleast do a little bit of variety. Any one who doesn't like GF is obviously clinically bonkers.