Jaguars car talk threads.

edited December 2014 in General Discussion Posts: 820
I been wanting to do write this for a long time. Jaguar in Bond screen had be driven by Villians, ministers, & recently M office car. But this time James Bond can ditch his Aston Martin & drive a Jag in Bond 24 with Q to issue him. He can drive the F-type. Although for sure 007 is only got his classic Aston Martin DB5 as his own off Duty car in upcoming Bond movie SKYFALL. No issue of a company for 007. Q can issue the Jaguar new F-Type with gadgets, Where he won't wreck it. I think they give Bond a go in Jaguar. Raymond Benson put James Bond in a Jaguar in one of his novels but I can remember which? But I remember he was interested in the Jaguar it was XK8 saloon.
I remember Simon Templer drove a Jagaur XJS-V12 in The Return of The Saint driven by Ian Ogilvy where replace Roger Moore when he Bond at that time in late 70's. The New Avengers with Patrick McNee & late Gareth Hunt who like Timothy Dalton a bit drove Jaguars McNee drove a Jagaur XJ coupe & Gareth Hunt drove XJS-V12 in a red colour. Both drove a Range Rover with different colours McNee drove a green Range Rover & Gareth was a White colour. Joanne Lumley had a motoe bike & 2 2 seater cars. MGB & Triumph TR7. The Equalizer mobile was Jaguar XJ6 driven late Edward Wood. He drove 2 model 85 & 88. So 007 turn to drive a Jag as Bondmobile.

Comments

Why should he drive a Jaguar exactly? Is there a specific model that is very Bond-like? Would the gadgets suit the car?

I don't know, just because Jaguars are nice cars and other people have driven Jaguars, doesn't mean Bond has to.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 12,837
    I think he definetly needs a brand new brand. The DB5 has been bought back so many times, they're just milking it's popularity (so people will think "hey look, it's the car from GF!") and all the recent AMs look too similar.

A Jag would be nice. Or maybe a Lotus again?
  • EiragornEiragorn Hessia
    Well, Aston Martin is a brilliant car but it's true the '63 DB5 was featured way too often. A little bit of variance would truly not hurt - especially when Bond had that many different cars in the novels. And Jaguar is British, noble and has a long tradition.
    I completely agree. I'd be more than happy to see Bond in a Jag. Or Lotus.

Anything would be preferable to seeing him in a BMW again.
  • I didn't mind the BMWs. Loved the one in TWINE, that car was sexy.
    I don't have an issue with BMW. I just don't want to see Bond in one. It's very depressing to see a national icon driving a German car and worse still if it's issued to him by Q.
  • Bond is British but he's a man of the world. He has all sort of exotic food, drinks, and cars. I don't mind him driving a BMW.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 11,425
    Nah, not a Beemer.

If it was something exclusive I wouldn't have such a problem, but when they stick him in a middle management car or hairdresser's car that's not on.

It's just naff.

A man of the world would have more sophisticated tastes.
    Bond is British but he's a man of the world. He has all sort of exotic food, drinks, and cars. I don't mind him driving a BMW.

Well, as a German I sense German cars as somewhat brutish and deeply inelegant. Just take a look at a Porsche. It's no coincidence most American movie villains drive Mercedes or BMW. So I feel that Bond has no other option than driving a British car.

BTW: You forgot about CR's Ford. THAT was the true low point of James' gallery of vehicles.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 11,425
    Eiragorn, I think you're being a little harsh on your car industry, which is I would say is best in the world. But I respect your ability to step back and recognise the fact that Bond needs to have a British car, otherwise he stops being Bond. Any way, I don't mind Bond driving Fords or any car, as long as it's not his official car. Obviously if he's in a chase or has to escape quickly he's going to jump into whatever is handy and not look around for a British made car (chance'd be a fine thing!)

There's no way Major Boothroyd would sign a deal with BMW. No way.

He has a track record of veering from AM now and again. Lotus and BMW obviously. Jaguar would be a very cool option! Bentley maybe? Alot depends on the model?
    Ah yes. I always forget Bentley. They have some nice models and it was Bond's original car wasn't it?

And since it's actually German owned these days, everyone is happy!
    Then you have to ditch the now-Indian Jaguar ;-)
    true. there's nothing truly british left. mclaren perhaps.
  • Getafix wrote:
    mclaren perhaps.

Bond driving that new supercar they have would be brilliant.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    MCLaren? For a SECRET Agent? Would call too much of attention.

For me, the Astons still with Bond.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 2,115
    Eiragorn wrote:
    BTW: You forgot about CR's Ford. THAT was the true low point of James' gallery of vehicles.

Lower than the AMC Hornet in The Man With the Golden Gun?

Jaguar-Land Rover (own by Tata Motors of India) supplied a lot of the vehicles for Skyfall. So if they're in the mix for Bond 24, Bond may be driving a Jag.

• Getafix wrote:
    Ah yes. I always forget Bentley. They have some nice models and it was Bond's original car wasn't it?

And since it's actually German owned these days, everyone is happy!

Owned by VW, to be precise.

• X3MSonicX wrote:

Driving down the street with an Aston would call just as much attention as a Mclaren.
    X3MSonicX wrote:

Driving down the street with an Aston would call just as much attention as a Mclaren.

My thoughts entirely.

That said, the Mclaren is a bit too flash IMO. Aston has the right level of luxuriousness while still being old-school understated-British in its styling.

Despite now being almost entirely foreign owned, I have to say that the British car industry still produces (IMO) some of the most desirable and good-looking cars around.

I don't think you can beat the Bentley Continental, Aston Martin DB9, Range Rover and Mini in their class. Very beautiful cars.
  • I sometimes work with JLR (I'm a consultant) and I have to say that Tata have totally turned around what was a confused and loss leading firm into a serious, profitable marque.

The latest Jag's are gorgeous and definitely a everyday usable performance car. In these difficult financial times, JLR seem to be bucking the trend and I really think it's down to the reinvestment being made by Tata after years of neglect at the hands of Ford.

I'd have no problem with Bond in a Jag, it's also pretty appropriate that M is driven around in one as most high level public servants here in the UK use these, specifically ministerial and MOD figures. Also Ian McCallum who penned the DB7 which was widely thought of as reinvigorating Aston Martin's vehicle designs, now runs the Jaguar design team and has done for about 10+ years.

That said I love all of the British made cars as listed above. My one friend has a DBS with tricked out montpelier trim and it's a serious beast of a car, that said it's being traded in for a gaudy Lambo...wouldn't have been my choice but there you.
  • As a multi- Jag owner since 1987 and serious Bond fan, I have always wanted to see Bond behind the wheel of a Jag.
  • DRESSED_TO_KILLDRESSED_TO_KILL Suspended
    nah, why change something that isn't broke ? keep it simple. The Aston Martin has been a tradition and I hope it always stays the same.
  • Thing is times change, a Jaguar is a more realistic everyday car.

Here's an interesting story:
    I was told a while back about story from a West Midlands Police officer. He stopped a speeding Audi S4 doing nearly 130mph near the NEC/Birmingham International Airport during the night on the M42. The Audi had number plates which he presumed were fake as they didn't come through on his patrol car system.

The Audi driver was compliant when pulled over and the driver had only a passport on him. When the police officer ran the passport through a check over his system, he got an immediate call from his senior officer on his cell phone. The senior officer told him to immediately release the detained person without further delay, which is procedurally very odd. When asked about what was going he was given it's an above your pay grade kind of response.

The police officer smiled at the guy and said he was free to go. As he handed the passport back to the driver, he asked, are you what i think you are? To which the driver wryly smiled and said, we both know I can't answer that question. All you need to know is you're doing a good job, thats the main thing!"

So perhaps 00's have high performance German cars after all.
  • nah, why change something that isn't broke ? keep it simple. The Aston Martin has been a tradition and I hope it always stays the same.

But it hasn't always stayed the same. It's changed before and since they're bringing back the DB5 AGAIN (it's a cool car but cmon guys, stop milking it and leave it in the 60s as Connery's car, where it belongs), and all the recent AM's look similar, I say it's time for a change again.
    nah, why change something that isn't broke ? keep it simple. The Aston Martin has been a tradition and I hope it always stays the same.

Well, traditional means Bentley. That's the car Bond drives most in Flemings novels. The Aston Martin is solely that popular because the DB5 was the first Bond car with "extras" in GF. But to keep things fresh, I'd love a Jaguar. I think they are the perfect cross of comfort and usability. They aren't as flashy as AM and very unique in their handling. And perfectly British for sure.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 774
    Would much prefer a Bentley for that Fleming touch. Perhaps the Bentley Continental GT Speed. http://www.bentleymotors.com/models/new_continental_gt_speed/
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    The Bentley Continental is the most beautiful car from Bentley, along with the Arnage.
  • PLZ bring the Lotus back for one more round!! This is what they look like now:

2012_lotus_evora_s_1-440x328.jpg
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 5,745
    Jag XKR-S
    jaguar-xkr-s-review.jpg

Simply perfect.