Adele - 'Skyfall' title song discussion

Comments

• edited September 2012 Posts: 58
    Hi everyone, I'm an Adele fan, and just as you all are confused about who's singing the Skyfall theme song, Adele fans are as well. I found this forum and found this thread interesting, for obvious reasons lol. As an Adele fan I can say that there are many factors leading to Adele singing the Skyfall theme song.

1: September 2011 on the Jonathan Ross show, she said she was going back into the studio in November to record a "concept/theme" song. @ 7:00

2: Later that year Tinie Tempah mentioned talking to Adele about the James Bond song and how excited she was about it.

3:November 2011 she had vocal cord surgery, assuming she did not record the song.

4: February 2012, rumour started saying she was taking a 5 year break. She wrote on her blog "I’ve a few days off now, and then it’s the Brit Awards here at home and then I’m straight into the studio. BOYYAHH! 5 years? More like 5 days!". It looked like it was to record what she was suppose to record in November 2011.

5: April 2012, she did her LAST interview on a french radio station and said she is going to release a single at the end of the year. That's when speculation grew that she was involved with the release of the Bond song, timing made sence. She also mentioned she won't have another album come out for another 2 years, so the release of this new song has nothing to do with her new album. @ 1:40

6: Tweets by people she has worked with...

Ryan Tedder (co-writer of 2 of Adele's songs on her album '21'): "ive heard it. Best bond song in my lifetime. Hands down- hats off once again to Paul Epworth and Adele. hope they win Oscar!", he then deleted it.

Paul Epworth: We already know he's involved in the movie, and we also know he's been writing a song with Adele and he has been to Abbey Road Studios, so this one is and obvious one.

Paul Moss(Adele's PR):
    *(May 2, 2012; regarding her 1 hour special on NBC)
    "Adele making her final video for 21,but its not what you think it will be"
    "All I can say is it will be the last you will see of Adele untll the Fall 2012,no more promotion.Not even at the B/B Awards."

*(September 25, 2012)
    "Are you ready for the SkyFall Theme song? Hope you are because it's coming and it's going to explode". He tweeted this and then deleted it as well.

We haven't heard from her since April 2012, only the news of her pregnancy. The man who told her fans we won't see her till Fall 2012 just tweeted yesterday if we're ready for the SkyFall theme song, something to think about...I wanted to say all of this to see what you guys would think. I don't know exactly how soundtrack releases work. She's still pregnant and the baby should be due soon, we just don't know when, so that as well is something to consider. Knowing Adele, she likes to stay away from the limelight, so not sure how having a baby and the release of the new song might affect each other.

It's been great reading all your thoughts on who may sing this song, Adele fans have been waiting for this song since last year and this back and forth of "is it really her?" is driving so many crazy!
    Nice to see a different perspective on the situation! And also nice to see that run down of facts (and not rumours - The Sun and Showbizwhateveritscalled) When you see things like that, then it seems obvious what the result will be...
  • ....Adele ;-). I especially like this: "ive heard it. Best bond song in my lifetime. Hands down- hats off once again to Paul Epworth and Adele. hope they win Oscar!" Well, I do hope an Oscar nomination will be in the pocket....
  • I'm really trying not to be biased, of course I'm an Adele fan lol But about Muse's "Supremacy", I automatically ruled that out when I read they "want" the song to be Skyfall's theme song...it's obvious by now the movie has been recorded and so has the song. The music and movie's post production is also done, everything is DONE. By them saying they "want" it to be, means it's obviously not. Just my thoughts, I could be wrong about everything, but I'm just trying to find logical explanations lol.
  • Creasy47 wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @Creasy47 Thank you. I like guessing and speculating, I don't see why so many want to know spoilers in the first place. I hate the internet!

You're welcome, but people want what they want; it's just a shame I know so much about the film because of those who neglected to use spoiler tags. I'm sure there will still be some new surprises awaiting me come November 9th, and it hasn't deterred my interest in the slightest.
    And you have saved me many a time from such a fate. Hats off to you, now as ever @Creasy47.

Anytime, mate. I'm here to help. The closer we get to SF, the more I want to - as sad as it is - avoid these forums until the film's final release.
    adelefan wrote:
    Hi everyone, I'm an Adele fan, and just as you all are confused about who's singing the Skyfall theme song, Adele fans are as well. I found this forum and found this thread interesting, for obvious reasons lol. As an Adele fan I can say that there are many factors leading to Adele singing the Skyfall theme song.

1: September 2011 on the Jonathan Ross show, she said she was going back into the studio in November to record a "concept/theme" song. @ 7:00

2: Later that year Tinie Tempah mentioned talking to Adele about the James Bond song and how excited she was about it.

3:November 2011 she had vocal cord surgery, assuming she did not record the song.

4: February 2012, rumour started saying she was taking a 5 year break. She wrote on her blog "I’ve a few days off now, and then it’s the Brit Awards here at home and then I’m straight into the studio. BOYYAHH! 5 years? More like 5 days!". It looked like it was to record what she was suppose to record in November 2011.

5: April 2012, she did her LAST interview on a french radio station and said she is going to release a single at the end of the year. That's when speculation grew that she was involved with the release of the Bond song, timing made sence. She also mentioned she won't have another album come out for another 2 years, so the release of this new song has nothing to do with her new album. @ 1:40

6: Tweets by people she has worked with...

Ryan Tedder (co-writer of 2 of Adele's songs on her album '21'): "ive heard it. Best bond song in my lifetime. Hands down- hats off once again to Paul Epworth and Adele. hope they win Oscar!", he then deleted it.

Paul Epworth: We already know he's involved in the movie, and we also know he's been writing a song with Adele and he has been to Abbey Road Studios, so this one is and obvious one.

Paul Moss(Adele's PR):
    *(May 2, 2012; regarding her 1 hour special on NBC)
    "Adele making her final video for 21,but its not what you think it will be"
    "All I can say is it will be the last you will see of Adele untll the Fall 2012,no more promotion.Not even at the B/B Awards."

*(September 25, 2012)
    "Are you ready for the SkyFall Theme song? Hope you are because it's coming and it's going to explode". He tweeted this and then deleted it as well.

We haven't heard from her since April 2012, only the news of her pregnancy. The man who told her fans we won't see her till Fall 2012 just tweeted yesterday if we're ready for the SkyFall theme song, something to think about...I wanted to say all of this to see what you guys would think. I don't know exactly how soundtrack releases work. She's still pregnant and the baby should be due soon, we just don't know when, so that as well is something to consider. Knowing Adele, she likes to stay away from the limelight, so not sure how having a baby and the release of the new song might affect each other.

It's been great reading all your thoughts on who may sing this song, Adele fans have been waiting for this song since last year and this back and forth of "is it really her?" is driving so many crazy!

We have already talked about this on this thread.
  • Yeah, but it's nice to have a summary. There are so many crossed wires by now I think!
  • I will second AgentJM7. I think it's a good thing to get a non-Bond Adele-fan perspective. Welcome to the forums, btw.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Yes, we have talked about this on this thread. Here we have an Adele fan come over and take the time to contribute. I found her/his post enthusiastic and it provided a nice re-cap of the "Adele saga" Welcome and thank you Adelefan
    Thanks for the welcome @JamesStock and @talos7. I wasn't sure about all the details of what pieces of info you all knew. I was thinking you didn't know about Paul Moss. I wanted to do a summary and break it down to show the escalation of the rumor and how everything fits together and where it leads to. I still have my doubts, but the percentage is about .05%. There was an immense rumor that Adele was singing at the Olympics, but from Paul Moss's tweet back in May, we knew it wasn't going to happen. Now put his May tweet and September tweet together, and it makes sense.
    Do we really need to repeat endless comments AND pics, Gareth, to say, this has been talked about already? No...we don't.

Thanks for the summary, Adele.
    Items 4 and 5 on the list, and most of the earlier tweets, I had no idea about. No doubt in my mind that it's Adele given all that. Thanks again @adelefan
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    Haven't seen this til now:
    http://www.showbiz411.com/2012/09/25/exclusive-adele-james-bond-skyfall-song-is-classic-007

New singles are usually released on Tuesdays.
    She once was goofing around backstage and sang like 3 seconds of Diamonds Are Forever...watching Bond movies perhaps? Glad she was singing Shirley Bassey though lol I really like that song. May not be related to the recording of the song, but it was right after the Jonathan Ross interview. http://www.tubechop.com/watch/559964

Adele hasn't given birth yet, to my knowledge. If it is her, how would that affect the promotion of the song? I really doubt she'd do live performances and interviews while still expecting, it isn't something I think she'd do. Or does it even matter? Doesn't the film, music video, and air play on the radio carry all the promotion?
  • And Tony Lewis' reply:

GERTJANWATERINK (me): @MusicEditorcouk You think with T. Newman...Bond scores will become trendsetting again? We haven’t had legendary Oscar-worthy sound recently.

TONY LEWIS: @GertJanWaterink I do think that, yes!
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Hi @adelefan and welcome. Thank you for sharing with us your view on this subject and for adding a few interesting bits we were unaware of :)
    "Ryan Tedder, who co-wrote two of Adele's songs on her hit album '21', tweeted "ive heard it. Best bond song in my lifetime. Hands down- hats off once again to Paul Epworth and Adele. hope they win Oscar!"
    The tweet was subsequently deleted.

Adele's publicist, Paul Moss, couldn't contain himself either when he tweeted yesterday: "Are you ready for the SkyFall Theme song? Hope you are because it's coming and it's going to explode." Moss later deleted this tweet, too."

God some people are useless at keeping their mouths shut.
  • Might I offer one more opinion? I do not think it is Adele. Or let me put it in other words: I hope it is not Adele. Do not get me wrong -- I do not have an opinion on her as a singer. However, I hope it is not her, because if that was the case, we would have vivid proof that the corporate body, that owns our favorite movie spy, still has no clue about how to deal with information in the internet age.

If it was Adele, then they did not learn anything from the "Skyfall" movie title disgrace -- the moral of which being, "If You keep ignoring that something has leaked and present facts that are all over the town as a supposedly newsworthy revelation, then You do not look too good . . ."

If October 1 or October 5 or whatever date comes, and the producers present us with a Punch and Judy show announcing Adele -- oh, how embarassing . . .

Seriously, this whole charade would only make sense if some other artist will perform the "Skyfall" theme song.
  • doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles Moderator
    I think it is something of a mammoth task to keep something like this under wraps these days.
    Think of all of the artists and technicians who've worked on this song or who have worked on the titles. That's a huge number of people. And it grows like ripples after a stone has hit the water when you think about them sharing this knowledge with family or friends.

Frankly, I'm surprised that - with sites such as Twitter - this "news" has been as closely guarded as it has been.
    Might I offer one more opinion? I do not think it is Adele. Or let me put it in other words: I hope it is not Adele. Do not get me wrong -- I do not have an opinion on her as a singer. However, I hope it is not her, because if that was the case, we would have vivid proof that the corporate body, that owns our favorite movie spy, still has no clue about how to deal with information in the internet age.

If it was Adele, then they did not learn anything from the "Skyfall" movie title disgrace -- the moral of which being, "If You keep ignoring that something has leaked and present facts that are all over the town as a supposedly newsworthy revelation, then You do not look too good . . ."

They didn't. MGW acknowledged to the "worst kept secret in town" before revealing the title.

• doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles Moderator
    Yeah, I was at the conference and whilst they were pretty peeved about the leak, they at least acknowledged it and tried to keep it lighthearted.

I think this will be the case when Adele is "announced".
  • Germanlady wrote:
    They didn't. MGW acknowledged to the "worst kept secret in town" before revealing the title.

Fair enough -- but they used that phrase on the occasion of the press conference, right? A little late, one could argue . . .

;)
    I think it is something of a mammoth task to keep something like this under wraps these days.

Exactly! If it really was Adele (what we actually still do not know), EON should have noted the leak and its effects early (this has been going on for days or weeks now) and just give out that press release to get away from the affair in a dignified way. Well -- just my two cents . . .
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 3,333
    I think you've made some very good points @adelefan and I'm sure you're as eager as any of us are to hear what she's been doing in the studio. Interesting comments by Adele's publicist, Paul Moss. I hadn't read any of those until you so kindly posted them. It certainly looks like Blofeld's cat is out of the bag, forgive the pun, and it's only now a matter of hearing what the song sounds like. Can't wait.

PS. The game plan is obviously James Bond Day for the song release so nothing's going to change that between now and next Friday. You'll just have to be patient.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    Thing is, Adele or not, not making an official announcements keeps the tabloids nipping at any snippets or info and keeps Bond afloat in the headlines.
  • w2bond wrote:
    Thing is, Adele or not, not making an official announcements keeps the tabloids nipping at any snippets or info and keeps Bond afloat in the headlines.

Interesting point. So they kind of turned the tables, You mean? Certainly a possibility. But on the other hand, the audience is eager for that new Bond movie -- I have a feeling that even without one single sheet of advertising or a pip in a stupid tabloid, people would still be flocking to cinemas and buying the theme song . .!

;)

• w2bond wrote:
    Exactly, this is perfect marketing. I would be surprised if the leaks of the two latest twitters were not to some extent the result of EONs orders. EON (or MGM or anyone else that may be responsible) have probably not ordered the leak but come on, if they would like to keep it under wraps, just write secrecy agreements with everyone involved. No, this is probably very well carried out. I mean, look at this thread, it has gotten insane amount of posts arguing about almost nothing. The interest is enormous, both from fans and others. Well done EON.
  • PS: My birthday is on October 5th :-). I will have my most beautiful birthday in years....despite turning 31 ;;)
  • RC7RC7
    edited September 2012 Posts: 10,512
    Lofqvist wrote:
    w2bond wrote:
    Exactly, this is perfect marketing. I would be surprised if the leaks of the two latest twitters were not to some extent the result of EONs orders. EON (or MGM or anyone else that may be responsible) have probably not ordered the leak but come on, if they would like to keep it under wraps, just write secrecy agreements with everyone involved. No, this is probably very well carried out. I mean, look at this thread, it has gotten insane amount of posts arguing about almost nothing. The interest is enormous, both from fans and others. Well done EON.

Correct. Whether it was planned remains to be seen but someone in the EON PR office is definitely rubbing their hands with glee. All this hype can do no harm at all. Being hit with a Bond theme cold would not register with many people but I've had a lot of people who aren't interested in Bond talking to me about the rumours. There's no need for an official announcement as it's the release rather than the announcement that will get people excited.

Do you think Paul Epworth is enjoying the speculation...?

His latest tweet:

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Anybody else have some old showbiz links they care to re-post?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Wonderful. Even more confirmation from the tweets. 8 days to go!