Worst Bond song

Comments

• DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    edited September 2012 Posts: 1,347
    I actually think TND is better than GE, and the best of Brosnan's. Very good instrumentals, the lyrics can be questioned though.

Worst overall are DAD & AWTD, for sure.
    Still cannot work out everyone's problem with Another Way To Die. Great song by two superb artists.
    My favorite is The Spy Who Loved Me by Carly Simon.
    Least Favorite: Madge, Die Another Day... Shudder.....
  • Another Way to Die easily takes it for me. There are other bad ones for sure, but that one is bad on a completely new level. And in my opinion, what makes it bad is the fact that it has so much potential to be good. It's practically almost there, you can hear the great ideas. But unfortunately they never truly materialize, and instead, the whole thing implodes spectacularly.
    Another Way to Die easily takes it for me. There are other bad ones for sure, but that one is bad on a completely new level. And in my opinion, what makes it bad is the fact that it has so much potential to be good. It's practically almost there, you can hear the great ideas. But unfortunately they never truly materialize, and instead, the whole thing implodes spectacularly.
    Huh?? I need more than that mate. I hear only a good tune, two superb singers, clever writing, and an overall very good Bond song.. I just don't get the hate..

• I like Jack White and AWTD is catchy, but pretty crap imo. Lyrics don't even try to make sense (but I'll be fair, that's true with lots of Bond songs), and there's basically no melody to it.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 144
    I like Jack White and AWTD is catchy, but pretty crap imo. Lyrics don't even try to make sense (but I'll be fair, that's true with lots of Bond songs), and there's basically no melody to it.

Again, poor points mate, no offence.
    No melody?? Lyrics that makes sense?? Name a Bond song that fits this description?!!

It's a Rock twist on the Bond theme, and the lyrics are cool:
    'I know the player
    With the slick
    Trigger finger
    For Her Majesty
    Another one
    With the
    Golden tone voice
    And then your fantasy
    Another bill
    From a killer
    Turned a thrill
    Into a tragedy

Another tricky little gun
    Giving solace to the one
    That will never see
    The sunshine
    Another inch of your life
    Sacrificed
    For your brother
    In the nick of time
    Another dirty money,
    Heaven sent honey
    Turning on a dime

Chorus
    A door left open
    A woman walking by
    A drop in the water
    A look in the eye
    A phone on the table
    A man on your side
    Someone that you think
    That you can
    Trust is just
    Another way to die

Sorry guys, the foot is down, the song is good.
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    edited September 2012 Posts: 1,347
    OddJaws wrote:
    No melody?? [...] Name a Bond song that fits this description?!!
    Every other Bond song.

And no, it's not good. Not in my book, nor in many others. You're allowed to like it though.
    The thread title inspires a very simple response.
    Die Another Day.
    That's it.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 299
    OddJaws wrote:
    Another Way to Die easily takes it for me. There are other bad ones for sure, but that one is bad on a completely new level. And in my opinion, what makes it bad is the fact that it has so much potential to be good. It's practically almost there, you can hear the great ideas. But unfortunately they never truly materialize, and instead, the whole thing implodes spectacularly.
    Huh?? I need more than that mate. I hear only a good tune, two superb singers, clever writing, and an overall very good Bond song.. I just don't get the hate..

Sure, let me elaborate what I mean.

For starters, you are correct in pointing out that it is a rock song. And that's not a bad thing. Some of my favorites are rock songs (Live And Let Die, You Know My Name, A View To A Kill). AWTD starts out quite promising, in a similar vain to YKMN. The opening guitar riff works, as does the overall arrangement of instruments. And then Jack White opens his mouth.

For the record, I think White is a phenomenal guitar player, and a great musician overall. His voice however, at least to my ears, is quite insipid. It may be better suited to the blues and the style he is known for, but it is painfully out of place in a Bond song. And unfortunately that's why I think the song crashes as soon as the first verse begins.

Alicia Keys is a great musician as well, and has a great voice. However, once again, unfortunately, it's a voice not suited for the Bond world. It's difficult to describe, but it feels forced and out of place. There are many great voices out there, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are suited for Bond. I feel Keys fits that description.

Furthermore, when they duet, it's difficult to even hear White as Keys overpowers him vocally. And though that's probably a good thing considering her voice is infinitely better, at the same time it then begs the question - what's the point of the duet?

But the worst part of all happens in the break after the second chorus, when they start chanting all those "Whooooaaas." It's lazy songwriting at that point, and tonally it feels intrusive and distracting. It's a terrible vocal melody, and one that lacks class and sophistication (all the things Bond should be). It sounds cheap and aimed at the lowest common denominator. That is not Bond.

The song ends well, similar to how it starts. But that is not enough to save it. Everything in the middle is seriously misguided, and just completely takes away from what otherwise could have been a good idea. That is why I feel it fails, and why it feels worse than others, because it had the potential to be good.
    OddJaws wrote:
    No melody?? [...] Name a Bond song that fits this description?!!
    Every other Bond song.

And no, it's not good. Not in my book, nor in many others. You're allowed to like it though.

Rubbish. Pure and simple. Your telling me Lulu's Man With The Golden Gun or Mad Madge's effort have melody!! Give me a break.
    And you know what you can do with your book ;)
  • OddJaws wrote:
    No melody?? Lyrics that makes sense?? Name a Bond song that fits this description?!!

Yep, there's no melody. Lyrics don't make sense at all, even less than usual. It's not the only Bond song that has this problem but that's no excuse really.

It's a rock song, but not a good one. Good rock Bond songs: LALD and You Know My Name.

Sorry mate, I think we'll just have to disagree on this one.
  • worst song...DAD...from the worst Bond film....
    OddJaws wrote:

For starters, you are correct in pointing out that it is a rock song. And that's not a bad thing. Some of my favorites are rock songs (Live And Let Die, You Know My Name, A View To A Kill). AWTD starts out quite promising, in a similar vain to YKMN. The opening guitar riff works, as does the overall arrangement of instruments. And then Jack White opens his mouth.

For the record, I think White is a phenomenal guitar player, and a great musician overall. His voice however, at least to my ears, is quite insipid. It may be better suited to the blues and the style he is known for, but it is painfully out of place in a Bond song. And unfortunately that's why I think the song crashes as soon as the first verse begins.

Alicia Keys is a great musician as well, and has a great voice. However, once again, unfortunately, it's a voice not suited for the Bond world. It's difficult to describe, but it feels forced and out of place. There are many great voices out there, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are suited for Bond. I feel Keys fits that description.

Furthermore, when they duet, it's difficult to even hear White as Keys overpowers him vocally. And though that's probably a good thing considering her voice is infinitely better, at the same time it then begs the question - what's the point of the duet?

But the worst part of all happens in the break after the second chorus, when they start chanting all those "Whooooaaas." It's lazy songwriting at that point, and tonally it feels intrusive and distracting. It's a terrible vocal melody, and one that lacks class and sophistication (all the things Bond should be). It sounds cheap and aimed at the lowest common denominator. That is not Bond.

The song ends well, similar to how it starts. But that is not enough to save it. Everything in the middle is seriously misguided, and just completely takes away from what otherwise could have been a good idea. That is why I feel it fails, and why it feels worse than others, because it had the potential to be good.
    Ok, fair enough. At least you took the effort to say why and not just dismiss it because you and your gang say so.. ;)

But once more, I have to say, I think it is a matter of what floats your boat. A lot of what you saw as poor or weakness, I enjoyed as quirky or fresh. Gotta love diverse opinion I guess. But thanks for taking the time to explain.
    OddJaws wrote:

Yep, there's no melody. Lyrics don't make sense at all, even less than usual. It's not the only Bond song that has this problem but that's no excuse really.

It's a rock song, but not a good one. Good rock Bond songs: LALD and You Know My Name.

Sorry mate, I think we'll just have to disagree on this one.

No need to apologise mate, we had a good run.. :)
  • OddJaws wrote:
    OddJaws wrote:

Ok, fair enough. At least you took the effort to say why and not just dismiss it because you and your gang say so.. ;)

But once more, I have to say, I think it is a matter of what floats your boat. A lot of what you saw as poor or weakness, I enjoyed as quirky or fresh. Gotta love diverse opinion I guess. But thanks for taking the time to explain.

Of course, no problem. And I completely agree that it really is a matter of taste. I cetainly don't feel this way about it because it's the popular opinion. Believe me, I really tried to like it, tried to find the good things about it. I wanted to like it. But in the end, it just wasn't working for me so that led to my current opinion of it.
  • I'll do an update from last time, a few months ago most likely, I doubt there will be much room for change

#1 White and Keys / Another Way to Die

#2 Madonna / Die Another Day

#3 Carly Simon / Nobody Does It Better

#4 Sheena Easton / For Your Eyes Only

#5 Shirley Bassey / Goldfinger

#6 Shirley Bassey / Diamonds are Forever

#7 Tom Jones / Thunderball

#8 Shirley Bassey / Moonraker

#9 Rita Coolidge / All Time High

#10 Duran Duran / A View To a Kill

I feel this years release could well be in the top three if I were to attempt this again after time of release
    AWTD was a complete let down after YKMN..in my opinion its the worst bond title song to date..my favorite would have to be Aha's the living daylights..i am a huge Aha fan!
  • I would liked to have seen Morten Harket in that years release, but he turned down the offer? Each to their own I guess. Pity A-HA weren't given another go at Bond, such as some other artists. I think they could of done better for View to a Kill than Duran Duran in 1985 now that I think about it
    Correct me if im wrong but i remember reading somewhere that Aha didnt get on well with John barry..but i would love to hear morten harket give a bond theme another bash.
  • the worst bond song for me is quantum of solace. the only one i dont like much.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 612
    Peg me for a witch, but I like Another Way To Die.

DAD is by far the worst, and All Time High was really an All Time Low.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    Another Way to Die don't sucks, it just doesn't fits to the movie, although it is whole just action and vengeance, so the rocking style and the rythym could fit. Maybe 'Muse - Feeling Good' could have done the work.

DAD is the one who sucks more. i never liked Madonna at all.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    X3MSonicX wrote:
    Another Way to Die don't sucks, it just doesn't fits to the movie, although it is whole just action and vengeance, so the rocking style and the rythym could fit. Maybe 'Muse - Feeling Good' could have done the work.

I think DAD sounds awesome, when it's instrumental. ;)
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    Murdock wrote:
    X3MSonicX wrote:

Agreed :P
  • You do have a point, if we take away Ciccone's awful attempt at a title song and instead had an instrumental like From Russia With Love or OHMSS it would of been so much better. It's a very long shot, but it's something I'd like to have seen for Skyfall also. I can't remember who did Never Say Never Again, but I'm kind of indifferent to it, I don't like it much, but it's not overly bad or anything. We could still be participating in this thread by the time Bond 37 comes out, but I still think nothing will surpass the atrocity of the last release we had, but don't quote me on that
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Lanier Hall sang never say never again if my memory is working.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 198
    - Die Another Day is the one and only Bond themesong which hasn't got any of the Bond-feel!
    - Tomorrow Never Dies is sung by a childish voice. Further it's plain boring.
    - The World Is Not Enough is plain boring.
    - GoldenEye is just fantastic.
    - You Know My Name is great also.
    - Another Way To Die has the sound of The Man With The Golden Gun, but something is off. I don't know to like it or not, still don't!

All the other Bond themesongs are great to fantastic in my opinion. They all give their movies an identity together with the overall scores.
    Madonna's isn't so bad in full orchestra:

Her singing is what ruins it.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I've always love the melody of Die Another Day, but I dislike Madonna's singing. "Sigmund Freud" ugh why is that even in the Lyrics? :-?
  • EiragornEiragorn Hessia
    X3MSonicX wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    X3MSonicX wrote:

Agreed :P

Well, I like the beginning and the percussive strings. But when this awful electro beat starts I'm out. I do not know how anyone could ever come to the conclusion she was suited - more so after she only was an aged telegym advisor past her prime back in 2002.