A Moneypenney For Your Thoughts - Lois Maxwell

2»

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited May 2011 Posts: 13,350
    I simply didn't buy it with Dalton/Bliss.
    No question there, Glenn or whoever decided that this new direction for Penny was a good idea was off mark.

And to make things worse, Bliss only had one scene in the following film, that wasn't even with Bond. From a story point of view this was great but didn't help sell a Dalton/Bliss at all.

I wonder what the Bond 17 of '91 would've looked like with them both returning.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    Rachel Weisz isn't exactly what I'd call plain - I mean, I'm sure I certainly wouldn't be thinking that if I saw her across the room at a party... ;)
  • LudsLuds MIA
    No Weisz isn't bland at all. We're not talking about Arterton here. Weisz is a very pretty woman, and can act. She would be a great choice for Bond girl, but I'd like to see her in a recurring role. As Moneypenny, I could see her bring something to the character which has not been done for a long time.
  • edited May 2011 Posts: 11,189
    I didn't mean to suggest that Weitz wasn't pretty. She certainly is. Just in a more down to earth, girl-next-door kind of way. She may very well work as MP especially as she's apparently going out with Craig ATM.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Well said, @Luds. Even though MP usually only gets a few seconds in a Bond film, the better she can act, the more interesting said seconds become. What blew me away about the MP - Bond scene in GE is exactly the fact that it was a well-written scene, requiring (and getting!) the talents of a good actress. Samantha Bond really pulled it off and I dare say it's a shame that her scenes in the next couple of films were a good deal less impressive. Weisz is an established and quite gifted actress. She manages to keep her good looks despite her age (remember: she's 41). In many ways, her beauty outshines her sexiness and that's a good thing IMO since I really don't need a 'sexy' MP. Also, Rachel can pull off a great English accent, precisely what I expect from a MP. I'm all for it. I don't see her as a Bond girl anymore (that she should have been in the days of The Mummy, when she was at her best and needed to avoid such loathsome projects as Constantine) but as MP I can see her devote her talents to the Bond for many years to come.
  • LudsLuds MIA
    I didn't mean to suggest that Weitz wasn't pretty. She certainly is. Just in a more down to earth, girl-next-door kind of way. She may very well work as MP especially as she's apparently going out with Craig ATM.
    That's one of the things that bothers me the most about Hollywood, they never use down to earth people. Weisz would be great as Moneypenny, and as a Bond girl for Craig. But most of the ladies cast nowdays have to look like models. I find it refreshing when leading ladies don't look like pin up girls. Just watched The Town the other day and the leading girl was Rebecca Hall. This is a perfect example of good casting, taking a talented actress that can play the part with a girl next door look. This is what Moneypenny needs. Weisz can bring this girl next door, but still with very good looks and acting chops. I do have the sense though that EON wouldn't cast her because of her age if they don't plan on having Craig for Bond 24 as well and likely change Moneypenny again for Bond numero 7.

Evidently, Weisz wouldn't work as a Bond girl much later than now either given her age and EON looking for a 20 some years old model looking girl. Olga was a prime example. I assume that the general public prefers those "supposed to be sexy and young" choices, but frankly, I'd rather go with an older and talented actress who could play a major role. Weisz, in Bond 23, could be a great Bond girl as well.
  • I think Weisz would be a great villain in the Quantum organization. She's beautiful and like Luds says she has the acting chops to play it tough. She is well advanced past a recurring bit part. I can't see her as Moneypenny and wouldn't want to. I can though see her as a dominating, corporate type who would use her sex appeal as a weapon and make a man who displeased her grovel to be back in her favor. Kind of like the head alien female in the TV series "V", but with more sex appeal.

Craig has indeed said that he'd like to see the traditional roles of Moneypenny and Q brought back. I'd be fine with it, but not for the sake of having them just because they have always been traditional characters. Their absence doesn't make me entirely feel like it's not a Bond movie. So if we are going have them back, let's get someone with the enduring charm of Lois Maxwell, please. Lois had class and style, she was a lady at all times. Caroline Bliss never felt right to me, she didn't have the chemistry with Dalton but at least her lines weren't out of character. Samantha Bond, well, the lines that came out of her mouth were sometimes funny, but inappropriate for the character that has been established over the years. Well beyond being innocently flirtatious. I would have preferred they called her characterization anything but Moneypenny.

Samantha Bond did feel like Moneypenny to me - albeit maybe a more contemporary version. Like Maxwell, I found Bond warm.
  • Personally the only Moneypenny I ever warmed to was Lois Maxwell. Not fond of Bond or Bliss. Therefore I really don't care if they ever bring her back since essentially she is Maxwell's character. Same goes for Q.
    Well said Jaguar007 - none of the others have added anything to the part (unlike Dench's M) and can't see the character returning as was since all Bond films over the last 20 years have been attempting to become more PC, thus stronger female characters, less sexist jokes, etc. One of the main things with Moneypenny was the continuity which Lois Maxwell provided and the cheeky banter between Bond and her, however I don't think that it would be approved of in 2011. Also, unless Moneypenny's relationship with Bond is a crucial part of the next storyline, I can't see the point of wasting screentime attempting to reintroduce a character which usually has a few minutes of screen-time.
    Personally the only Moneypenny I ever warmed to was Lois Maxwell. Not fond of Bond or Bliss. Therefore I really don't care if they ever bring her back since essentially she is Maxwell's character. Same goes for Q.
    You do make a good argument jaguar - although I did rather warm to SB.

Bringing her or Q back merely for the sake of it would be a bad move. Personally, I didn't miss them CR and the problems QoS had were not down to their absence.

The problem is that if they are brought back they will always be compared to the originals - esp Q.
    Yes, she should return! But let's not ever get to the point where Moneypenny looks like an elderly housekeeper who should be put in a retirement home soon. That's what Lois Maxwell presented in MR, FYEO, OP, and AVTAK. Caroline Bliss was definately necessary for the Timothy Dalton era after Maxwell's aging, but I never did understand her lack of screen time in LTK? After all, she did save Bond's life by sending Q along for the ride!