Best Bond Theme : License To Kill

2»

Comments

I share that opinion too Chuck, as far as IYAMT is a better song. Patti is my Philly homegirl and that probably has something to do with it to some degree. But I wouldn't flip the songs. The songs I would flip is Surrender as the TND title and Sheryl Crow's TND for the end credits.
    I wouldn't necessarily flip them either, mainly because I think that "If You Asked Me To" works perfectly as a closing credits song, but with everything being equal, I think that it would serve as a better title track than LTK, not that I would want it to.

Definitely agreed on "Surrender" and "Tomorrow Never Dies". Those definitely should have been switched around.

• For a Bond theme song, the best have always been the trio by Shirley Bassey, with probably "Moonraker" topping it for me (Dame Bassey's voice seems to get more velvety with age). I'd love it if they got her to do the next Bond title song, though I think they'll unfortunately pick someone more contemporary. In relation to the original question, a get up and go early morning song, "Living daylights", "You know my name" and "Live and let die" would all be good.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I share that opinion too Chuck, as far as IYAMT is a better song. Patti is my Philly homegirl and that probably has something to do with it to some degree. But I wouldn't flip the songs. The songs I would flip is Surrender as the TND title and Sheryl Crow's TND for the end credits.
    Right, same here. Surrender could have shoved so much energy into the opening credit sequence, it would have been a blast. Plus, it kept the 'TND Theme' going, one of Arnold's finest m007ments I think.

• edited June 2011 Posts: 30
    The original James Bond theme, along with the music of FRWL and OHMSS, get me up and going for the day.

As for my favorite "rendition" of any of the pieces, the instrumental of CR's You Know My Name is absolutely breathtaking.

I particularly enjoy the City Of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra's take on it. It adds just a bit of that classic flair:

Perhaps an unpopular opinion, but I always thought that Patti Labelle's "If You Asked Me To" that plays over the end credits would have been a better title track than "Licence to Kill" ended up being. Granted, in a perfect world the title song would have had a bit more grit to it than either of those two songs (but I love the inclusion of "If You Asked Me To" over the end credits, where I think it fits perfectly), but Labelle's song would have been a much better song for the titles than LTK.

As for the best title songs, my favorites are "For Your Eyes Only", "Nobody Does it Better", "You Know My Name", and "The Living Daylights".
    All Great suggestions.

But there is Somme thing very "moving" in "License to Kill" theme.
    Makes you want PUMP UP THE VOLUME.

:-c
    I definately agree with Gladys Knight's License to Kill! That is one of the most moving, haunting, and epic Bond themes of all time! On a side note, I'd also take Live and Let Die (classic rock!), A View to a Kill ('80s rock!), Thunderball, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, and The Living Daylights.
  • Several points to respond to - but I'll first say that although I loved If You Ask Me To when I first heard it at the end of LTK I don't think its style would have suited LTK enough to be used as the title track (and I was quite miffed that it didn't become a hit based on LTK but did later when Celine Dion recorded her version).

As for the song License to Kill I think it's okay/good but not great. I agree that it seemed like an attempt to make a "Bond-ish" song, especially in the introduction. I was surprised that so few people noticed the similarity to the opening of Goldfinger, but when LTK came out few of my friends had seen a Bond film made before MR. Here's an example of what I mean:

I think one thing that can cause problems for the Bond series is when the filmmakers decide that something is so "Bond-y" that they should include it as if it somehow lends more credibilty to the film being a Bond film! So there have been a few songs such as LTK that attempt to sound like a "traditional Bond song", which I guess a lot of people would think means Shirley Bassey. GoldenEye and The World is not Enough would be two more examples. I'd rather have a really good song that works for the film than trying to make another Bassey-style song. For example, I'm not a huge proponent of rock songs for Bond films because that goes slightly against the classy, exotic aura of Bond films. Yet You Know My Name is one of my favourite Bond title songs of all time because it's a great, propulsive song on its own merits.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited June 2011 Posts: 13,350
    Here, in this video Narada Michael Walden admits they did indeed stell that exact line:

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Goldfinger is still my favorite.
    Ah yes, the "crap" song !! :-))