Where to find Bond in London

edited September 2012 in Merchandise Posts: 144
Hey guys, my first attempt at starting a thread, so be gentle!
I am from Ireland and we have a very very poor selection of Bond goodies to be had in bookstores and toy stores where I live. I mean non-existent. With the 50th coming up soon I'm sure there will be a little bit more available soon, but I'm not going to hold my breath. However, I'm going to London the weekend that Skyfall opens, for the NFL match at Wembley on the Sunday, but Saturday myself and Mrs OddJaws will be in around Oxford Street and the like, and I was wondering where a Bond fan could go to maybe pick up some collectibles, books or special DVD's??? I know that his face should be everywhere with the premiere and the 50th etc, but are there any special spots that I should alter my schedule for?? Where do I have to visit to immerse myself in all things James B????
Thanks in advance my friends.

OddJaws.

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I've lived in London all of my 27 years and I couldn't tell you, specifically where to go and that's because there aren't any places that have a real emphasis on Bond stuff at least not that I know of. Maybe try forbidden planet or HMV in Oxford street.
    Just looked on FP website and it doesn't look good. A few books, but very poor really. I'll still pop in when I am over though, so cheers.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Well much as it disgusts me that you are supporting such a farce of a sport hacking up the hallowed turf and making it unplayable, at the end of the day the FA is to blame and this another symptom of why we are an international laughing stock so.....

Try here:

http://www.vinmag.com/

They usually have a reasonable selection of stuff although to be honest you'll get 90% of it cheaper on Amazon.
    Some of the big bookshops on the Charing Cross Road such as Foyles and Blackwells have good Film departments. Also opposite Stringfellows there are two "Geek" shops. The second is mainly DVDs but the first is populist films and it has a great deal of Bond stuff especuially coffee table books and magazines. There are lots of copies of 007 magazine there.
  • I got most of my Bond DVDs from HMV. I got the books I own online.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 74
    I spent a fantastic weekend in London in spring 2010. From my hotel room, I could see the MI6 building . . !

When it comes to movie memorabilia, the Cinema Store at Unit 4B Orion House, Upper St Martins Lane, comes to mind. I bought a book on the making of Goldeneye there. Tons of great stuff offered -- not just items relating to Bond, but movies in general. Many print items. Very friendly staff on duty -- back then, at least. Check out this:

http://www.thecinemastore.co.uk/shop/theme/James-Bond/

Not far from there, a Forbiden Planet store is located at 179 Shaftesbury Avenue. I do not remember Bond items specifically (I bought Star Wars toys there), but they sold not only comic books, but all sorts of movie memorabilia es well. Maybe, You should give it a try as well.
  • RC7RC7
    I spent a fantastic weekend in London in spring 2010. From my hotel room, I could see the MI6 building . . !

When it comes to movie memorabilia, the Cinema Store at Unit 4B Orion House, Upper St Martins Lane, comes to mind. I bought a book on the making of Goldeneye there. Tons of great stuff offered -- not just items relating to Bond, but movies in general. Many print items. Very friendly staff on duty -- back then, at least. Check out this:

Not far from there, a Forbiden Planet store is located at 179 Shaftesbury Avenue. I do not remember Bond items specifically (I bought Star Wars toys there), but they sold not only comic books, but all sorts of movie memorabilia es well. Maybe, You should give it a try as well.

The Cinema Store has a wide range of collectable Bond magazines, various props (Golden Gun, Jaws teeth, Tarot cards) some decent toys (Think they have an original Lotus and Drax Shuttle plus others) Some signed, framed posters (MR if it's still there) and various original posters, ranging from £50-800. Great LTK for £150.

Forbidden Planet has less stuff, more book related. They have the new poster book and a lot (if not all) of the comic strip volumes.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 469
    if you are heading for camden - I remember a second hand toy store under the market that does alot of second hand bond toys - that was a couple of years ago
    Also near the cutty sark woolwich way there was a toy store a few years ago that sold bond toys unique collect 0208 305 0867 if you phone that number you can ask for directions - can not promise it is still there
    Thanks.
    actonsteve wrote:
    Some of the big bookshops on the Charing Cross Road such as Foyles and Blackwells have good Film departments. Also opposite Stringfellows there are two "Geek" shops. The second is mainly DVDs but the first is populist films and it has a great deal of Bond stuff especuially coffee table books and magazines. There are lots of copies of 007 magazine there.
    Sounds promising mate, thanks for that. I'll have a look.
    the Cinema Store at Unit 4B Orion House, Upper St Martins Lane
    Check out this:

Super stuff. Sounds very promising, cheers.
    largo2 wrote:
    if you are heading for camden - I remember a second hand toy store under the market that does alot of second hand bond toys - that was a couple of years ago
    Also near the cutty sark woolwich way there was a toy store a few years ago that sold bond toys unique collect 0208 305 0867 if you phone that number you can ask for directions - can not promise it is still there

Worth a look, thanks mate.
    I got most of my Bond DVDs from HMV. I got the books I own online.

I'll be in HMV for certain. I guess I am hoping they might release some new or old stuff for the release and the 50th.. Here's hoping buddy.

Picked up the LALD Tarot cards for £25, a lot of Bond stuff is sold at this store!
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 12,837
    OddJaws wrote:
    I got most of my Bond DVDs from HMV. I got the books I own online.

I'll be in HMV for certain. I guess I am hoping they might release some new or old stuff for the release and the 50th.. Here's hoping buddy.

Last time I checked the HMV near me still sold most of the Ultimate Edition DVDs, you should definetly find one or two in there.
    Kananga wrote:

Picked up the LALD Tarot cards for £25, a lot of Bond stuff is sold at this store!
    Score!! It's going on the list. And great name by the way..
  • I think I'll be getting the Japanese bond t-shirt for my 30th next march.
    Dear Oddjaws,
    Have a great time in London and make sure you go to Harrods. Their entire window is dedicated to 007 and looks fabulous.
    Mrs.Oddjaws will doubtless drag you inside to buy her something but that could be a good thing. They have a fabulous lingerie section for would be Bond girls.
    You can also pop around to The Kings Road and visit Bond's flat (May makes great scramble eggs),borrow his 1933 Bentley convertible and drive it over to Regents park, pick up M and take him to Blades for dinner and cards.
    Regards,
    Bentley.
    Anyone in London on monday at HMV?????
  • Hello,

i used to live in London more than 20 years ago, and most of the toy / collector shops are now indeed closed . One i used to visit regulary is Comet in Battersea and the shop does still exist http://www.comet-miniatures.com/index.php?zone=11&, 48 Lavender Hill, Battersea, London, SW11 5RH .

do not take any notice of the items on the website, they have a large selection of 007 collectables in the shop .

the closest Modelzone to central London is situated
    202 High Holborn
    Central London, London, Greater London
    020 7405 6285

available Corgi, Scalextric, Italeri ... 007 items .

Happy hunting and Bond voyage ;)

themanfrombrusssels
  • i forgot to mention http://www.spitalfields.co.uk/?utm_source=vs&utm_medium=web&utm_campaign=vs ... there's a dealer who sells collector / 2nd hand records and books at very reasonable prices , he usually has a small selection of 007 stuff .
  • on saturdays you have Portobello market where you can find all sorts of pop culture memorabilia and merchandise ... but no guarantee to find something ... it's bargain hunting ! (you need to be lucky, same as any car noot sale or flea market visit) .