9/11/12

edited September 2012 in General Discussion Posts: 5,634
I realize that there is already a thread for RIP people and passing individuals, and did consider it, but today of course will be the 11th anniversary of the Terrorist attacks on New York and Washington. 3000 people collectively lost their lives that day and I hope Admin won't mind a seperate thread for it, I did look on archives for something similar from last year for the decade anniversary, but to the best of my knowledge it doesn't exist? I thought it more fitting to pay respects to all who died in that heinous attack on our country separately from the suggested RIP thread. Hope nobody minds or anything. I chose General Discussion as there was no other way to categorize it, this is hardly 'news'

The attacks also took place on a Tuesday, such as today, it was incident that many will live with forever. I felt like saying one or two other things but thought better of it. I just want to give my thoughts to all those who lost their lives on that dreadful day. Even now,the new One World Trade Center is nearing completion, and will again become the tallest structure in all of New York City. Another year has passed since that awful day, but once again our thoughts go out to all the families involved who lost loved ones. RIP all (innocents) who perished,11 years on

911Memory.jpg

Comments

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Shouldn't the title of the thread be "9/11/12"?
  • http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/1432/911-has-it-really-been-10-years/p1

Here's the tenth anniversary thread- most of our 'where we were' stories are there
  • It's still very sobering. And a lesson that religious fanaticism of any type should never be tolerated and that we must keep vigilant and guard against it. That said, glad to see we got another murdering Al-Qaeda bastard yesterday.
  • RC7RC7
    It's still very sobering. And a lesson that religious fanaticism of any type should never be tolerated and that we must keep vigilant and guard against it. That said, glad to see we got another murdering Al-Qaeda bastard yesterday.

And also that we don't goad such terrorists into action. Swinging your balls around doesn't solve any problems. Hopefully the US learnt their lessons. A tragic day that will hopefully never happen again.

• edited September 2012 Posts: 12,837
    RIP to the victims and my thoughts are with their families and friends.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 4,813
    I'm currently listening to the uncensored Howard Stern broadcast on Facebook. Pretty scary, listening to it in real-time as it was happening. Remember how scary it was- not knowing what was next? I'm currently at the point when they just found out the Pentagon was attacked too
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 5,772
    I remember very well where I was and what I was doing the moment I heard the news (buying some groceries right after having had a tooth capped. After that, I was wary of going to the dentist again. Well, more wary than usual, I mean). I also remembered that, with techno-terrorism like that and the sarin attack in Tokyo, we were living in James Bond's world... Alas, without James Bond.
  • May as well quote myself from the old thread:
    I was 18- just getting up to go to work (back then it was Best Buy)- my sister had instant messaged me something about 'did you hear about the terrorists attacking the WTC??'
    Well I GROSSLY underestimated / misunderstood and thought she meant they had physically 'walked in' like with guns or something. I distinctly remember thinking to myself 'well I'm sure they will get their asses kicked' and went on to work, all the while not knowing what had really gone down!
    In fact I made it ALL the way to work and the store was totally closed down and the manager was just locking up and about to head home himself. I said 'what's going on?' and he was like 'dude do you not have a TV???'
    Sure enough, as I drove home, the roads were PACKED with 1000's of people doing the same thing.
    The rest of the day I was glued to the TV

I also remember being pretty scared too- what with the WTC and the Pentagon, and the final plane that was ultimately taken down by its own heroic passengers, all day long I was on edge- like what if there's MORE coming??
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    edited September 2012 Posts: 1,347
    May all the innocent victims of these horrendous attacks rest in peace.

<b>This is a thread for paying respect to all the victims and families whose lives were broken on this day 11 years ago, not a place for discussing conspiracy theories. Off-topic removed.</b>
    Was there in early september last year at ground zero a week or so before the 10th anniversary. I have to say it was a very humbling experience as i remember the day clearly as if it was yesterday.

Me and my family's thoughts, prayers and love go out to all the families and friends who were affected since this tragic event.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited September 2012 Posts: 28,694
    RIP to all the men and women who died during the attacks, including all the heroic firefighters who put their lives on the line (some lost their lives) to make sure they could save as many as possible. The start of a senseless war, the effects of which will be felt forever. **==
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    RIP to all of those whose innocent lives were lost eleven years ago today. I'll be visiting New York in eleven days, and I plan on stopping by the monument to pay my respects.

I remember this day back in 2001, I was only in fifth grade, but it was so clear: I was putting away my bookbag in my cubbyhole, when the teacher down the hall ran in and put the TV on. I honestly had no idea what the WTC, Pentagon, etc. was, so all it was to me was a free recess day. But, as more kids were taken out of school and I saw more people crying, I knew it was something that was very, very serious.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    It's quite an odd feeling isn't it, @Creasy, be so young that you can't understand the hysteria going on around us? I was in kindergarten when 9/11 happened, and I was even more detracted from the feelings of violation and suffering felt by all the families over a decade ago. That is upsetting, and I still can't connect to the event because I was simply too underdeveloped to remember or understand any of the chaos and pain that was surrounding the date and times after.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 4,813
    I was in kindergarten when 9/11 happened,
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7
    Wait a minute...

1191974747271.gif

....really? @-)
  • RC7 wrote:
    It's still very sobering. And a lesson that religious fanaticism of any type should never be tolerated and that we must keep vigilant and guard against it. That said, glad to see we got another murdering Al-Qaeda bastard yesterday.

And also that we don't goad such terrorists into action. Swinging your balls around doesn't solve any problems. Hopefully the US learnt their lessons. A tragic day that will hopefully never happen again.

With all due respect, you don't know what you're talking about. Al-Qaeda doesn't need goading, they are still at war with the West and they are constantly looking for ways to attack America, Great Britain, and anyone else they can. That's a fact. Pacifism and complacency on the part of the Western world when their aims were made clear through their actions in Yemen and Kenya is exactly what they want, they want us to get lax and give them elbow room. They aren't going to stop until we've made it impossible for them to continue doing so and that is also a fact. Constantly taking out their competent leadership will lead to inferior intelligence making mistakes we can capitalize on.

As an American voter and taxpayer. I don't want war with anyone. We have plenty of problems domestically where my tax dollar could be better spent rather than on the military. But this is a case where we have to "swing our balls" or risk further loss of lives. We owe it to the 1000's of innocents who died and those who could be future victims if for nothing else.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It's quite an odd feeling isn't it, @Creasy, be so young that you can't understand the hysteria going on around us? I was in kindergarten when 9/11 happened, and I was even more detracted from the feelings of violation and suffering felt by all the families over a decade ago. That is upsetting, and I still can't connect to the event because I was simply too underdeveloped to remember or understand any of the chaos and pain that was surrounding the date and times after.

I couldn't agree more, and as time goes on and the more I understand of the situation, the closer I get to the pain shared by those who were old enough to understand it on that fateful day. I remember my Dad telling me about him booking it to the rooftop of his work building in Arlington that morning, and he could see the fire from the Pentagon.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    RC7 wrote:

With all due respect, you don't know what you're talking about. Al-Qaeda doesn't need goading, they are still at war with the West and they are constantly looking for ways to attack America, Great Britain, and anyone else they can. That's a fact. Pacifism and complacency on the part of the Western world when their aims were made clear through their actions in Yemen and Kenya is exactly what they want, they want us to get lax and give them elbow room. They aren't going to stop until we've made it impossible for them to continue doing so and that is also a fact. Constantly taking out their competent leadership will lead to inferior intelligence making mistakes we can capitalize on.

As an American voter and taxpayer. I don't want war with anyone. We have plenty of problems domestically where my tax dollar could be better spent rather than on the military. But this is a case where we have to "swing our balls" or risk further loss of lives. We owe it to the 1000's of innocents who died and those who could be future victims if for nothing else.

Well said Sir.

At least in the US the vast majority of the population backs America. Over here we have the whining liberal left who bleat about terrorists rights and people being locked up in Guantanamo. I think we are still paying for a convicted terrorist to live on the taxpayer because the EU says we cant deport him because he might get tortured.

At least America woke up after 9/11 and doesnt worry about the rights of scum as long as it protects its citizens rather than people who want to supress British law with sharia law. Imagine how far that idea would get in the US but here judges actually use it as a consideration when some guy throws acid in his daughters face or cuts her hands off for shaking hands with a man. As ever this country a laughing stock.
  • Shouldn't the title of the thread be "9/11/12"?

Well no. As it's 9/11/11, being the eleventh anniversary of the attacks on our country, I see Admin have changed it, but it was for the 11th year since the attacks, not necessarily the (20)12 year as it is

Been quite an emotional day, the orchestrator of the attacks has since been taken out, but it won't bring back all the people who lost their lives that day. There was one or two participants no longer with us, who delighted in all kinds of asinine conspiracy theories on events like this, but the fact of the matter was it was an organized terrorist attack on our nation and we have only become stronger from it. We will not be beaten by terrorism. The day is almost over once again, but we can never forget what occured. RIP once again all those who lost their lives on that fateful day 11 years ago now
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    I remember the day all to well..was sitting in 9th grade English class when they broke the news to us. We all were glued to the TV the rest of the day. About a few days later we were able to see the dust in the sky, as I only live about 4 hours from the city. That was a shocking image let me tell you that.
  • There's always some moment in time some of us will remember, be it the shooting of John F Kennedy, Martin Luther King, or even former Beatle John Lennon, it's moments in time that will remain with us forever. 9/11 was such an occasion. It was something some of us will live with for the rest of our days. I don't believe there will ever be such a thing as world peace. As someone once said, "War is stupid, people are stupid", it's simply not as clear cut as that. I feel I can do no more, God Bless America

Goodnight
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    As someone once said, "War is stupid, people are stupid",

All hail Boy George. A wise sage unappreciated in his own time.
    as long as there are humans..there will always be war
    My sincere condolonces for anyone who suffered by the attacks, directly or not...
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    RIP Victims of 9/11 you will forever be missed and cherished in hearts of your loved ones.

I was in the Forth grade, Recess had just finished and all the TV's were on and we all saw it. I had no idea what was going on at the time.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    The pains of my generation.
    We learn about WWII and its insanities in history classes. We vaguely experience the madness of Vietnam through films. But the real thing pierces the soul like nothing else. This tragedy we took to bed on 9/11 and woke up with again the next morning. And the sour taste would never go away.
    Even from Belgium, I experienced the horror with tears in my eyes and stains on my heart. As a response, I walked around with an irrational hatred towards the Islam and it's taken me several years to slightly recover from that and put things in the right perspective. Even today, over a decade since then, I struggle with the notion that such cruelties were imposed on the many victims. We shouldn’t ever forget this happened, and for the time being I can’t even try to forgive – I’m simply not willing to. A certain hatred is buried deep inside me.
    In this computerized world, one constantly seeks that one promising ‘backspace’ button. Correcting a mistake, an error, a typo on the pages of our history books. But this typo shall forever remain, uncorrected and documented in the highest detail. People will forever be able to read about it, to hear the tapes, to view the footage. It will forever put blame on the Islam, which I admit isn’t a good thing either, and it will forever remind us of how the 21st century started in infamy.
    May the war on terror be swiftly ended; may the evildoers be swiftly exterminated.
    RIP to the victims. You were brave people.
  • RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote:

I wasn't refererring to action taken by the west. I was thinking more of the scenes in the US when the announcement came through that Osama had been killed. It was an opportunity for the US to change it's public profile in Europe and the East with a genuine show of dignity. It was more like the fucking super bowl. Al Qaeda will never stop but the more Allies you have the better off for everyone. Dancing in the streets is no way to behave, then you're just as bad as them. Don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. Remember you're not the World Police.
  • As a New Yorker it effected me more than most. I was in the 7th grade at the time. One of the most frightening days of my life.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    as long as there are humans..there will always be war

Dammit, man, quote Snake right! "As long as there are people, there will always be war."

No, but seriously, very appropriate choice there.
    ^right
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 3,494
    RC7 wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

I wasn't refererring to action taken by the west. I was thinking more of the scenes in the US when the announcement came through that Osama had been killed. It was an opportunity for the US to change it's public profile in Europe and the East with a genuine show of dignity. It was more like the fucking super bowl. Al Qaeda will never stop but the more Allies you have the better off for everyone. Dancing in the streets is no way to behave, then you're just as bad as them. Don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. Remember you're not the World Police.

Well, while I understand your clarification of your original comments, I won't fault any American who was dancing in the streets. I realize that many outside of America were sympathetic and disagreed with Al-Qaeda's actions, but I'll guess you aren't an American and thus don't fully understand what we went through as a country and why many would joyfully and openly rejoice in his demise. I didn't dance in the streets myself, honestly I have two left feet without a guitar around my neck, but as a Democrat I was quite pleased that Obama got done what Dubya totally dropped the ball on 10 years before in Bora Bora, amongst other things. It was a great day as far as I am concerned, and every day I hear we've got another is also a great day, because the only good terrorist is a dead terrorist.

As far as the "world police", I've never been comfortable with my country in that regard. So don't lump me in with and make assumptions like that. Many Americans would like that to change. I'd like to see my country become more isolationist and worry first about our people before the rest of the world, yet we have natural born citizens living in poverty while illegal immigrants from Mexico and points south pour over our borders and tax our resources while not paying their fair share of taxes, don't try to learn English and complain because many of us don't want to cater to them, commit violent crimes against our people, and all the while scream that they are being discriminated against and being denied basic human rights. You enter our country illegally, the only thing you deserve is to be kicked back right to where you came from.

This discussion has been closed.