'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

Thank You Internet for letting me see this. Instant Classic!
    It was good episode, but I thought Skaro was locked in the time war
    Skaro was destroyed before the Time War. In "Remembrance of the Daleks", to be precise. By Davros and the Daleks themselves, although the Doctor did have a hand in it (pun definitely intended !). We must though presume that the opening scene (and the opening scene from the TV movie) happens before said destruction.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 268
    Just seen it and goddamn what an episode! To quote Dr9: "Fantastic!"

I believe th
    at Oswin actually is the new companion, that The Doctor will go back in time and save her.
    obin_gam wrote:
    Just seen it and goddamn what an episode! To quote Dr9: "Fantastic!"

I believe th
    at Oswin actually is the new companion, that The Doctor will go back in time and save her.

Just watched the first episode of the new series! And boy what an absolute cracker! :-bd I believe your theory too obin as i was thinking exactly the same thing!
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 115
    Just seen the first new episode. Disappointment there wasn't much Classic Dalek action aside, this one was okay. Liked the references made to the planets in where the Daleks who survived the Doctor were on and the lack of Disney music when Rory was on his own with the Daleks. Seeing JLC earlier than planned in this series was certainly a shock and the revelation that she was a Dalek was also a nice surprise. Let us hope that Moffat doesn't botch this one up like he usually does when it comes to this sort of thing. Smith's acting in this one was excellent; certainly better than when he's given a script and director which has him acting like a CBBC presenter. Shame he might have to go back to doing just that with the next episode. The divorce sub-plot does seem tacked on, as already pointed out. Why couldn't they just pass that one up? Plus, the "Doctor Who?" scene at the end, although if it was just mentioned by the Daleks would've been okay due to their obession to repeat themselves, was also annoying due to it constantly being mentioned by the Doctor after the TARDIS left the Dalek ship. Still, nice idea to wipe the Daleks' memory of him due to his attempt to keep a low profile following the last series.

So, on that note, I'm giving this one a 7/10.
    Before you watch tonight's episode, here's a little something:

A few years ago, Peter David did a parody song about the Doctor, set to the tune of Billy Joel's "The Longest Time". Well, his wife Kathleen, who's a puppeteer, decided to do a skit on that song "A Lord of Time", at Dragon-Con. Here it is, for your pleasure:

See you tonight for my opinions on today's episode.
    affects Mark Williams cod Brummie accent

"Dinosaurs on a spaceship! Bloody brilliant!"
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited September 2012 Posts: 13,882
    The two robots got annoying quickly, otherwise is was a really good episode. Two episodes in, and this series is allready better than series 6.
    And did anyone notice the postcard of the TARDIS was lacking the St Johns Ambulance badge on the door? Unless it was there and I didn't see it.
    :-?
    I guess I'll have to see it tomorrow. iPlayer is acting up.
    Really enjoyed tonight episode, for some reason I had thought that I wouldn't but it was good. Series 7 so far so good
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited September 2012 Posts: 13,350
    It was an alright, solid enough episode and I feel will be the weakest of the ones shown this year. The next three will be crackers.
    Amazing, funny and Brilliant,
    for the record I am on the side of solomon deserved it I mean he KILLED TRICY, YOU DESREVE TO DIE IF YOU KILL TRICY. Speaking of which I want "How do you start a Triceratops?" on Tricy's grave.

• JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    Spotted that David Mitchell & Robert Webb voiced the robots at the second time they were on screen. Great voice work but diluted any threat they had.
  • Matt's turning into a little bit of Eccleston, and a little bit of McCoy lately. Interesting... :-?
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    actonsteve wrote:
    affects Mark Williams cod Brummie accent

"Dinosaurs on a spaceship! Bloody brilliant!"

Cod-Brummie accent? Mark Williams is from Bromsgrove. L-)

Fun episode to say the least. Occurred to me while watching it that if Hollywood ever gets its hands on Doctor Who (shudder!) and did it right, a movie would probably turn out to be something like this.

Loved the line: "They're just people, not Ponds". Will certainly be sad when Amy and Rory depart, but can't wait to see just how that'll happen... :)
    That was a popcorn episode. Certainly fun, and in places horrifying (tahnks, once again, to human behaviour), and it succeeded at what it set out to do: give fun to the audience (favourite line: "What have you got in your pants ?" "My balls !". Rory's reaction was priceless). But it was not one of those episodes that stays a long time with you.

And I didn't miss the cameo appearance of Richard Hope. Still under the same make-up, even if he was playing a different character.
    Now THIS is how you do Cowboys and Aliens.
  • I expected something better from Whithouse. Average episode, probably the lower one out of the trio.
    It was nice to have a slower paced ep for a change, but the core of it was just to demonstrate how the Doctor's moral decisions can shift to the dark side when he's alone too long... i.e. audience get ready for a new sidekick
    A very good episode, I reckon. Tributes to the golden age of westerns, with a twist (loved the horse). Good acting from everyone. Good moral dilemna, even if resolved in a clichéed fashion (although, to be fair, what other resolution could there have been ?). And once again, the main theme of the episode comes forth (or haven't you noticed that the escape pod is egg shaped ?). And, if I'm not wrong, first time an actor from Farscape has appeared in DW (too bad Claudia Black wasn't there too. Maybe next time). Better than last week's, anyway. I give it a solid 9 out of 10.
    Half way through I thought it was an RTD episode in the Moffat era and Whithead was channelling what RTD wanted and then it got on to the moral dilemmas and then had its own idenitity.

So far season 7 has had three good ones.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Good enough but the last two episodes have not been up to the level of Asylum Of The Daleks. The last two look to be far better. They should be as well, being the final eps of the Ponds.
    Have to say i was a little disappointed with this episode. 1st has been the BEST by a long way by far.
    Enjoyed all three episodes so far, this one was actually quite good as it did cover morality not in a good or bad way but painted more in shades of grey. WHich I liked a lot.
    Once more you see the purpose of a travel-companion, as with Tennant, they are to keep the Doctor grounded.
    Visually a stunning episode and a well written story.
  • RogueAgent wrote:
    Have to say i was a little disappointed with this episode. 1st has been the BEST by a long way by far.

Those who have seen the next one (The Power of Three) might have something to say about that.
    @karatemanchan37 are you saying ep #4 is a barn stormer? It's written by the same guy who did Snakes, I mean, Dinosaurs on a Plane, I mean Spaceship, right?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I have liked all 3 episodes so far, which is more than could be said of series 6.

Series 7:
    1. Asylum Of The Daleks
    2. A Town Called Mercy
    3. Dinosaurs On A Spaceship
    RogueAgent wrote:

Those who have seen the next one (The Power of Three) might have something to say about that.

Aha? Sounds promising! Look forward to seeing that this weekend! :D