Robocop (reboot, classics, games, comics)

oo7oo7
edited September 2012 in General Movies & TV Posts: 1,068
Robocop_2.jpg

Comments

In that article, I felt the guy was being over dramatic. In an online show I usually watch about upcoming films, the host explained how the studio was holding back on the director's ideas.

It sounds like the studio doesn't want social commentary. Which is fine, as long as they make up for it. But considering the first was so deep in social commentary, it will be VERY hard to pull off going without it.

But in all honesty, it sounds like Iron Man meets Dredd meets SWAT.

I don't mind a wink to the audience, and the direction sounds promising. It will likely be 6/10 - 8/10 movie with good action and set pieces, good actors, but standard writing. Likely no special moments in the script.. those will have to come from the magic of the director with the actors.

It will be a good popcorn flick, but unfortunately that's it. No deep commentary to look for in the second viewing.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    As far as I'm concerned, as long as there's no flying RoboCops, no samurai cyborgs, no little kids hacking the (cooler looking) ED-209, and no insanely dumb foreign bad guys with absolutely no motive, this movie'll probably be fine.

Though I have to say, is the Total Recall remake that bad that we'll supposedly be apologizing to it after this?
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 4,813
    Is this for real, I wonder?

Hpvqs.jpg

Looks cool, but doesn't look like RoboCop
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Master_Dahark, it looks like something from the 'Crysis' game series.

I'm guessing you all know that Michael Keaton will be playing the villain now, not Hugh Laurie?
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 4,813
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I'm guessing you all know that Michael Keaton will be playing the villain now, not Hugh Laurie?
    I did hear that! I'll miss Hugh Laurie but I LOVE Keaton! I assume he's Dick Jones?

They have an interesting parallel going on now: Peter 'RoboCop' Weller as the voice of Batman in the upcoming 'Dark Knight Returns' animated movie, and now Michael 'Batman' Keaton is in the new RoboCop!

..... too bad they couldn't have switched places....
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    edited August 2012 Posts: 1,812
    @Master_Dahark Really??? Keaton for sure is the new bad guy? I hope this is true because I love Keaton as a bad guy. Although I think I've only seen him in a bad guy role once and that was in "Desperate Measures"... and "Beetlejuice"

Either way I think this movie will be good. I think the guy who reviewed the script is honestly trying to get attention for his reviews.
  • I like Micheal Keaton (my favourite Batman), but I'm not looking forward to this. I love the original and I don't see any reason for a remake.
    A small update from imdb.com: The character Micheal Keaton plays is named 'Raymond Sellars'-- a name not heard in the original movie, but based on the description it sounds like the Bob Morton character (builds RoboCop)
    Is this for real, I wonder?

Hpvqs.jpg

Looks cool, but doesn't look like RoboCop

Wow? Not what i was expecting! Don't know about anyone else? But i get a Venom vibe from spiderman when i look at this image!
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Y'know, it looks cool, but I doubt it'll be utilized well. RoboCop in this film will probably be able to spring from rooftops, run at high speeds, do all the sorts of things that we would imagine a cyborg cop should be able to do, but what I found best in the original RoboCop was that Murphy had limitations. I hope that these return in this new version, even if it's something as simple as Directive 4 (not being able to harm or arrest an OCP employee).
    I think the part that bugs me is the head. It totally doesn't make me think of RoboCop- it makes me think of Halo or GI Joe.
    I took the image, shopped the REAL RoboCop head on it, and gave the body a color scheme to match the original better, and gave him his gun!!!
    What do you think?

RoboCop.jpg
    Something tells me he won't use that gun in this film. I'll bet he gets a more futuristic one, like a Judge Dredd-like gun, or none at all.
  • Here's something I've been wondering (about the old movies): Just how much of the real Murphy remains?
    Personally I think once you strip away the mechanics you will find his original heart, brain, and face
    Well, his face is there. His brain's probably been copied onto a microchip and implanted into his head (no matter how much science has progressed, you can't replace years on the job with programming). I don't know about his heart, but it might be there.
    Of course I'm going to see this remake. I'm a rabid fan of the 1987 original and my curiosity will no doubt get the better of me. And let's be honest, can the remake be as incredibly bad as RoboCop 3?

RoboCop 2 had so much potential and even had a couple good scenes, but was nearly a half an hour too long. RC2 also kind of backtracked the entire build up of the first film: Robo had realized that he was 'Murphy' at the end of RC1 (hence the final line of the original) and had regained at least some of his humanity. But in RC2, Robo seems to have reverted back to the machine he was at the beginning of the original.

Bottom line: RoboCop fans are long overdue for a better than average sequel, which, unfortunately, the RoboCop series has not provided.

I will defend the original film till my death, however. Surely it is one of the greatest science fiction films of all time.

PS: I want ED-209 to make a return.
    Watch RoboCop: Prime Directives, it's an excellent TV miniseries sequel to the first film.
  • oo7oo7
    Watch RoboCop: Prime Directives, it's an excellent TV miniseries sequel to the first film.

biggest waste of life going. poorly written and abysmal effects.
    I suppose you enjoyed the animated series RoboCop: Alpha Commandos, didn't you?
  • oo7oo7
    Never saw that one. I did catch some of the series which you can pick up now for free on a lot of websites very weird stuff going on in that, violence was kidified and i think it was more aimed at selling toys. something about a ghost too.
    though it had a superior budget to the miniseries.. for example at least the robocop suit fitted the main actor
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 1,310
    Don't know if anyone has visited this site yet...

http://www.omnicorp.com/

After watching that opening video, apparently ED-209 is now...
    30 feet tall??

If this site is legitimate, I think the filmmakers of this remake missed the point....

Edit: It is the official Sony & MGM website
    I preferred Omni Consumer Products. It felt better to say than simply OmniCorp.

Y'know, even though ED-209 is just stupidly
    30 feet tall
    at least he still looks cool.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Well it does say Metal Gear.....errrr I mean ED-209 was field tested.
    Metal... Gear? Don't you mean Enforcement Droid?
    Metal... Gear? Don't you mean Enforcement Droid?
    lol it was a little joke. This new ED-209 looks like Metal Gear Rex.
    Yes, I know. I was making a joke, too. Imagine my words in the above post being spoken by Solid Snake, and you'll get it.
    Ah okay. :p
  • Are we allowed to talk about the movies at all?

Being quick, I greatly enjoyed Verhoeven's work in the original than I did any other work of his, including Total Recall. 25th anniversary year of release now, I saw it back in '87, and thought they could of toned down on the violence a little bit at the time. Verhoeven doesn't pull any punches with his work. Weller returned for the sequel in 1990, and I hated it, it made Diamonds are Forever look like Casablanca or something, it was that bad. The third was just as poor. Weller had the good sense to have left the role before that though, Robert Burke took the responsibility to save the series and failed miserably. They added some light hearted and fun commercials especially in the first, to lighten the sometimes graphic violence, even though it does seem a bit tame by todays standards
    Are we allowed to talk about the movies at all?

Yes, it's just that our recent talk was about the remake/reboot.
    Being quick, I greatly enjoyed Verhoeven's work in the original than I did any other work of his, including Total Recall.

Yes, RoboCop was supremely better than Total Recall, though I thought Starship Troopers was his best film.
    25th anniversary year of release now, I saw it back in '87, and thought they could of toned down on the violence a little bit at the time. Verhoeven doesn't pull any punches with his work.

Dear God, has it been 25 years since that movie was released already... Of course, being born after that, I don't really have anything to say (yes, the movie's older than me).
    Weller returned for the sequel in 1990, and I hated it, it made Diamonds are Forever look like Casablanca or something, it was that bad.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa... RoboCop 2 wasn't that bad. Give it a little credit. Irvin Kershner did a great job imitating Verhoeven's style.
    The third was just as poor. Weller had the good sense to have left the role before that though, Robert Burke took the responsibility to save the series and failed miserably.

Yes, well, when you've got flying RoboCops, kids who can hack military technology like it's a refrigerator website and ninja robots... that's a recipe for disaster, and that's how it ended up.
    They added some light hearted and fun commercials especially in the first, to lighten the sometimes graphic violence, even though it does seem a bit tame by todays standards

I thought that was just Verhoeven's style. He did something similar in Starship Troopers, as well.
  • oo7oo7
    edited September 2012 Posts: 1,068
    new film sounds awful. i wonder what game might emerge from it....

here's some concept art
    http://geekmodeonline.com/more-concept-art-for-robocop-remake/