Worst and undeserving Oscar Winners

edited September 2012 in General Movies & TV Posts: 2,341
Worst Actress Halle Barry Monsters Ball 2002
Worst Supporting Actor Alan Arkin Little Ms Sunshine 2005
Worst Best Picture winner No Country for Old Men
Worst Director Ron Howard A Beautiful Mind 2004( ?)
Worst Actor Adrian Brody 2003

Arkin was a sentimental win but everyone felt that Eddie Murphy deserved the Oscar that year

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    'Slumdog Millionaire' for Best Picture. That film was absolute garbage.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Y'know, I liked Titanic, but it deserved nothing of what it got. It was nowhere near deserving of highest grossing film of all time. It was just a fictional love story on a non-fictional boat.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Shakespeare in Love winning against Saving Private Ryan
    ALFRED FREAKING HITCHCOCK NOT GETTING ONE OSCAR
    HUMPHREY BOGART FOR NOT WINNING BEST ACTOR FOR CASABLANCA, OR ANY OF HIS FILMS FOR THAT MATTER
    Gary Oldman still hasn't won an Oscar and has only been nominated once.
    Good Will Hunting: Matt didn't win Best Actor, and it lost Best Picture.
    The Dark Knight not even getting a Best Picture nod. Hopefully that'll change this year.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Halle Berry really shouldve had her Oscar taken away from her just for Jinx. Havent seen her in Monsters Ball and for all I know it might well be the best performance by an actress ever but the Academy surely has to protect its reputation and cant have Oscar winners uttering such embarrasingly pitiful lines as 'I think I got the thrust of it' or 'Yo mamma'.

Pulp Fiction, QT and Samuel L losing out on best picture, director and supporting actor. Travesty.

Leon not getting a sniff of anything. Worth at least best picture, best actor, best director, best actress and best suporting actor (although Gary a bit too hammy to win!) nominations. Not saying it wouldve won them all, if any but shouldve been in there fighting for awards.
    Also best score - Serra hitting it out of the park, such a shame he couldnt repeat the trick with his awful GE score.
  • Titanic over Good Will Hunting
    Art Carney over Al Pacino, Dustin Hoffman, Albert Finney and Jack Nicholson
    John G. Avildsen over Sidney Lumet
    Tom Hanks over Liam Neeson
    Tom Hanks over John Travolta and Morgan Freeman (This is a stretch)
    Tom Hopper over Darren Afronsky
    QT not even getting a win
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 1,817
    I hate every winner who took away an Oscar from the Godfather and the Godfather Part II (for example, that stupid support actor of Cabaret over Al Pacino, James Caan and Robert Duvall).
    Also I despise the soundtrack that won best soundtrack over the Empire Strikes Back, a real masterpiece of music.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    Judges ain't the same as they were before... Unfortunately they make these unfair stuffs.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited September 2012 Posts: 28,694
    X3MSonicX wrote:
    Judges ain't the same as they were before... Unfortunately they make these unfair stuffs.

That's how the academy is: Politics. If an actor gets screwed out of an earlier Oscar, they will give that person one in the future for payment. This has happened to Al Pacino recently.

And Hans Zimmer should have about 8 Oscars right now, instead of his one.
    It is a travesty that Hitchcock never won any.
    Bogart is good in whatever he plays. He won for African Queen in 1951 but I felt he should have won for Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Caine Mutiny and lots of others I can't name.

Godfather was robbed. Cabaret cleaned up and Godfather only won 3 out of ten nominations. Such bullshit.

Color Purple got a lot of nominations but Spielberg was not even nominated for Director. then the movie didn;t win one Oscar. (I never thought it was all that anyway)

Samuel L Jackson is always overlooked....

I agree with the Titanic comments. I thought LA Confidential should have won Best Picture that year
    X3MSonicX wrote:

That's how the academy is: Politics. If an actor gets screwed out of an earlier Oscar, they will give that person one in the future for payment. This has happened to Al Pacino recently.

And Hans Zimmer should have about 8 Oscars right now, instead of his one.

As giving the award to Marty for The Departed, which is good but definitely not his best work.
    Avatar... THERE I SAID IT, AFTER ALL IT'S A VIDEO GAME
    Virage wrote:
    Avatar... THERE I SAID IT, AFTER ALL IT'S A VIDEO GAME

Agreed, visual effects do not a good film make.

Just from 2011 alone: Gary Oldman deserved the Oscar for 'Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy'. 'Drive' deserved far more than just a 'Best Sound Editing' nomination. 'My Week with Marilyn' deserved a Best Picture nomination alongside the acting nominations for Michelle Williams and Kenneth Branagh.
  • Gone with flippin Wind - total utter hype tutty.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Halle Berry really shouldve had her Oscar taken away from her just for Jinx. Havent seen her in Monsters Ball and for all I know it might well be the best performance by an actress ever but the Academy surely has to protect its reputation and cant have Oscar winners uttering such embarrasingly pitiful lines as 'I think I got the thrust of it' or 'Yo mamma'.

Pulp Fiction, QT and Samuel L losing out on best picture, director and supporting actor. Travesty.

Leon not getting a sniff of anything. Worth at least best picture, best actor, best director, best actress and best suporting actor (although Gary a bit too hammy to win!) nominations. Not saying it wouldve won them all, if any but shouldve been in there fighting for awards.
    Also best score - Serra hitting it out of the park, such a shame he couldnt repeat the trick with his awful GE score.

Regarding Halle if it's any consolation she also won a Razzie for her role in Catwoman. Watch her speech on Youtube, clearly wasted :))

I love Gary Oldman in Leon

"Bring me everyone!"
    "What do you mean everyone?"
    EVVVVEEERRRYONNE!!"

I enjoy Titanic but not sure it was worthy of the Best Picture Oscar it received. True the sfx are spectacular and Kate / Leo make a sweet couple but watching it in 2012 (as an adult) you realise just how cheesey it is. A Night to Remember is a better film about the ship.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    Godfather was robbed. Cabaret cleaned up and Godfather only won 3 out of ten nominations. Such bullshit.

Certainly The Godfather was a great film and it's stock has risen over the years. Its status is now akin to Citizen Kane, and rightly so.
    Caberet was also a great film and probably the best musical of the 70s. However it isn't close enough to The Godfather for Joel Grey to win his oscar ahead of half a dozen of TGs supporting cast.
  • Being quick, I also thought Titanic was an over exaggerated nonsense in terms of honors and awards. If you want to see a good Titanic movie, check out 'A Night to Remember' from the 1950s, not Cameron's hyperbole extravaganza. Simply didn't deserve all those awards, people will be taken in by big special effects and dramatic music over the seriousness of an initial incident

Also, Forrest Gump was another I couldn't quite understand. Won a shed load of awards, and apart from Hanks as best performer in a leading role, I didn't quite appreciate the load of prizes given out for other areas. It's not even his best work. Just not a movie that made an impression. Somebody must have seen some greatness somewhere, and there is traces of that, but I just found it all a bit of an exaggeration for awards, at least
  • Titanic, waste of time and money. And anything Avatar won.

I think Cameron hasn't made a good film since Terminator 2.
  • I didn't like Terminator 2. The original in '84 was the best of the trilogy for me. It's madness to have a Terminator out to do harm and bad things and kill it's intended target one minute, then for the next release, have him be a 'good Terminator' and do stupid things like stand on one leg all because some annoying whiny kid tells him to do so. I hated that kid in it, can't remember his (actors) name, but one main reason why I never went back to see it again. Probably True Lies was his (James Cameron) last work I truly enjoyed. I thought Avatar also was another release (of his) that didn't quite deserve all the praise it got
    edited October 2012 Posts: 28,694
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    It is a travesty that Hitchcock never won any.
    Bogart is good in whatever he plays. He won for African Queen in 1951 but I felt he should have won for Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Caine Mutiny and lots of others I can't name.

Color Purple got a lot of nominations but Spielberg was not even nominated for Director. then the movie didn;t win one Oscar. (I never thought it was all that anyway)

Samuel L Jackson is always overlooked....

I agree with the Titanic comments. I thought LA Confidential should have won Best Picture that year

Let me help you out:
    CASABLANCA
    In A Lonely Place
    The Maltese Falcon
    The Big Sleep

I feel those are his strongest that I have seen.

And pretty much anything he was in...ever. Because he was the man.

And Lauren Bacall should have many acting Oscars, including To Have and Have Not, where she is absolutely mind blowing...at age 19! I would like to meett the person who beat her, take the award away, and deliver it to her free of charge, because I know nothing that year beat her performance in this film.

And while Hitchcock didn't get an Oscar, John Huston only won two for writing and directing The Treasure of The Sierra Madre, out of the huge catalogue of his great work. He had 15 nominations, which is something, but he deserved all of them.
  • I didn't like Terminator 2. The original in '84 was the best of the trilogy for me. It's madness to have a Terminator out to do harm and bad things and kill it's intended target one minute, then for the next release, have him be a 'good Terminator' and do stupid things like stand on one leg all because some annoying whiny kid tells him to do so. I hated that kid in it, can't remember his (actors) name, but one main reason why I never went back to see it again. Probably True Lies was his (James Cameron) last work I truly enjoyed. I thought Avatar also was another release (of his) that didn't quite deserve all the praise it got

Ah I forgot about True Lies. Ok, that was the last Cameron film I every enjoyed.

I do think Arny was better in the first film but I prefer T2 overall. I did hate the kid though, worst John Connor out of all of them.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    True Lies was James Cameron? I never knew of that. It's a great movie.
    I didn't like Terminator 2. The original in '84 was the best of the trilogy for me. It's madness to have a Terminator out to do harm and bad things and kill it's intended target one minute, then for the next release, have him be a 'good Terminator' and do stupid things like stand on one leg all because some annoying whiny kid tells him to do so. I hated that kid in it, can't remember his (actors) name, but one main reason why I never went back to see it again. Probably True Lies was his (James Cameron) last work I truly enjoyed. I thought Avatar also was another release (of his) that didn't quite deserve all the praise it got

Ah I forgot about True Lies. Ok, that was the last Cameron film I every enjoyed.

I do think Arny was better in the first film but I prefer T2 overall. I did hate the kid though, worst John Connor out of all of them.
    That John Connor always looks stoned, even to this day. Funnily enough, when you first Google him, his bio picture to the far right is his mugshot. =))
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    You Light Up My Life winning over Nobody Does It Better. I mean, c'mon!
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Al Pacino deserved an Oscar for Scarface. So whoever won best actor the year that came out.

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Just googled him :))
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Ooooh, I didn't remember that, Echo. Yuk. Nobody Does it Better definitely should have won.

For me, Peter O'Toole never winning was a real crime and shame.

Ron Howard not winning for Apollo 13 (can't remember who won best director that year at this moment).

Randy Newman never won for Toy Story 1 or 2. Thankfully they gave it to him for 3.

And @thelivingroyale, Al wasn't even nominated for Scarface. He would have lost to Ben Kingsley anyway.
  • Randy Newman never won for Toy Story 1 or 2. Thankfully they gave it to him for 3.

And @thelivingroyale, Al wasn't even nominated for Scarface. He would have lost to Ben Kingsley anyway.

Except Ghandi was released a year before Scarface ;)
    Randy Newman never won for Toy Story 1 or 2. Thankfully they gave it to him for 3.

Except Ghandi was released a year before Scarface ;)
    They are both 1983 films. Gandhi was released on February 25th of 1983 and was in that year's awards. Though the films still wouldn't be in the same show, you are right (Scarface came out on December 9th, late 1983).
  • 1983 had some mammoth movies, Terms of Indearment, I meant Endearment (damn tired), Gorky Park, Superman III, Return of the Jedi, Silkwood, WarGames, Trading Places, Christine and The King of Comedy to name but a few

I always consider Ghandi a 1982 release, only seen bits of it though

Pacino should of got better than he did for Scarface. It's not a movie for everyone, granted, but it's a powerhouse of a performance. He made that film his own that year
  • Connery for " The Untouchables"....

just joking. It was more of a career thing tough..

De niro should have gotten it for "Taxi Driver". Finch wasnt even the lead in "Network", Holden was. 1976 WAS a tough year, though.