Irony And Bond

edited March 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 5,745
What irony can be found in the Bond universe. Can be books or movies.

A few I found Ironic:

Elliot Carver in Tomorrow Never Dies gets carved up by Bond with his own weapon. Ironic because of his name, and the fact that its his torpedo.

Gustav Graves: His last name is Graves (note the plural) and he dies twice in the film. (The first as the Korean General Moon, and then as Graves)

Dominic Greene dies in a desert with no vegetation (again a play on the name).

Any others you've noticed, not necessarily names, or from the movies?

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited March 2012 Posts: 16,328
    Blofeld died in a smoke stack Blowing smoke.
    Xenia died on the top of a tree.
    and James Bond has Bonded with many ladies. :-bd
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Tiffany Case (in the film) is kind of crass, unlike Tiffany's.

Solitaire stops being a virgin (she's no longer solitary).

Off topic, but Vesper Lynd is supposedly a play on "West Berlin," hinting at her divided nature.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Die Another Day made viewers want to die the day they watched the film.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited August 2012 Posts: 13,879
    Stamper actually stamps on Bond.
    The first time Bond meets Quarrel, that's exactly what they do- quarrel.
    When Felix got bitten by the shark, he become lighter. :P
    Pussy Galore...
    Holly Goodhead...
    Jinx..............................................
  • Goodnight had to spend the night in a closet.
    Jaws bit a shark
    Oddjob did indeed have an Oddjob
  • Quantum of Tweed: The Man with the Nissan Micra

anyone read yet? Sounds good fun and fully of irony
    Here is something ironic:

dcraiggoldeneye.png

One of the statues in GE is ironically similar to danny boy.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Here is something ironic:

dcraiggoldeneye.png

One of the statues in GE is ironically similar to danny boy.

Maybe an easter egg showing who was the next Bond xD
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Kerim wrote:
    Die Another Day made viewers want to die the day they watched the film.
    QBranch wrote:
    Stamper actually stamps on Bond.
    The first time Bond meets Quarrel, that's exactly what they do- quarrel.
    When Felix got bitten by the shark, he was lighter
    . :P
    Pussy Galore...
    Holly Goodhead...
    Jinx..............................................

I am in stitches!!! =))
  • 006 actually ends up beneath 007 in the finale of GoldenEye,
    Le Chifre is supossed to be really smart, and is actually shot through the head.
    Loque is locked in his car before he dies.

Alright, those aren't very good, but I'm really tired and they are all I can come up with
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    In QoS - Elvis didn't left the building.

If you know what i mean.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Strawberry Fields wasn't forever.
  • Roger played the role of Bond Moore times than anybody else.

• zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    echo wrote:
    Off topic, but Vesper Lynd is supposedly a play on "West Berlin," hinting at her divided nature.
    That's some interesting bit of new info for me, great! Do you have a source for that?

• M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited August 2012 Posts: 4,416
    Dr No: Bond kills a Doctor, whyle normaly a Doctor can kill you.

Die Another Day: Music track name be Going down together: The movie, the lead actor, 2 other actors and 1 actres never return to Bond. But Judi Dench and Pervis & Wade return.

Twine: OHMSS, besides that for Twine it be for King and Country.

CR: A Vesper atack ones and then dies.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    M_Balje wrote:

Die Another Day: Music track name be Going down together: The movie, the lead actor, 2 other actors and 1 actres never return to Bond. But Judi Dench and Pervis & Wade return.

Twine: OHMSS, besides that for Twine it be for King and Country.

CR: A Vesper atack ones and then dies.

Ahhhh...what??
  • doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles Moderator
    There are some nice in-jokes in the books. For instance, Fleming references his half-sister, Amaryllis Fleming, in The Living Daylights and also mentions Ursula Andress in On Her Majesty's Secret Service who was supposedly vacationing in Switzerland after having filmed Dr. No.
    As to actual, literal irony, there is very little, unless you count the small mistakes made by Fleming, such as making the Berns-Martin Triple-Draw holster Bond's PPK, when, in fact, it was exclusively for the use of revolvers.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    M_Balje wrote:

Maybe in Holland euthanasia is legal but unless your one of Shipmans patients thats not how it works here.
  • zebrafish wrote:
    echo wrote:
    That's some interesting bit of new info for me, great! Do you have a source for that?

If true, that's utterly fantastic to finally know this. Several times I had heard a writer mention that there was a "joke" to Vesper's name but they would never mention what it was! Knowing Fleming I was expecting it was some double entendre that I just didn't understand...

M_Balje wrote:

Maybe in Holland euthanasia is legal but unless your one of Shipmans patients thats not how it works here.

Well, there was a time when doctors were more dangerous than diseases. Molière even made a few plays about that.

Gerard wrote:
    M_Balje wrote:

Well, there was a time when doctors were more dangerous than diseases. Molière even made a few plays about that.
    I could see that, especially with doctors that were operating on several injured at once either in hospitals or as war medics. All day, picking inside and around other patient's bodies and moving on to the next without a single washing of the hands or equipment.

Gerard wrote:
    M_Balje wrote:

I could see that, especially with doctors that were operating on several injured at once either in hospitals or as war medics. All day, picking inside and around other patient's bodies and moving on to the next without a single washing of the hands or equipment.

But is it 'normally' the objective? Strikes me as going somewhat against the hippocratic oath.
    Gerard wrote:
    M_Balje wrote:

But is it 'normally' the objective? Strikes me as going somewhat against the hippocratic oath.

Is what the normal objective? Sorry for my confusion, but there are a lot of posts being quoted here.
    Gerard wrote:
    M_Balje wrote:

Is what the normal objective? Sorry for my confusion, but there are a lot of posts being quoted here.

Baljes original assertion that 'normaly a doctor can kill you'.

Probably best to drop this now as its rather detracting from the thread in hand.
    Gerard wrote:
    M_Balje wrote:

Baljes original assertion that 'normaly a doctor can kill you'.

Probably best to drop this now as its rather detracting from the thread in hand.

Agreed, though they do have your life in their hands in critical conditions, and if they slip up it could be a fatal mistake.

It always peeves me that Bond is an enthusiast on many things, including guns, yet doesn't know the difference between a loaded and unloaded gun in DAD.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, that has bugged me, as well. Always brings me back to Bryan's quote in 'Taken,' and Bond is far from being too rusty to know that the gun wasn't loaded. He should have at least checked the magazine before he left.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, that has bugged me, as well. Always brings me back to Bryan's quote in 'Taken,' and Bond is far from being too rusty to know that the gun wasn't loaded. He should have at least checked the magazine before he left.
    And my argument that DAD has so much lost potential continues. The writers could have explained Bond's big mistake by including how Bond's time in the Korean jail wore him down and made him unable to tell the weight of a loaded gun. There were plenty of times to have Bond's horrible experiences from being held in jail affecting him mentally and physically, yet like all the great opportunities for a dark or innovative turn in the Brosnan era, Bond is exchanged, escapes the hospital, and it is like he was never captured at all. That in of itself is why I find DAD so horrid. It could have saved itself, done something new. Showed Bond distraught and morbid after his belittlement he experienced in being captured, but no. He didn't have reservations afterwards about MI6's reluctance to act for a whole 14 months, or any signs that he was affected at all by the torture that was inflicted upon him. Shame, shame, shame. And no, that last sentence wasn't meant to be a wink to the Izabella Scorupco song.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, if anything, Bond being the 'rebel' that is trying to avoid MI-6 while still working towards his mission (such as QoS' approach) would have been absolutely perfect in DAD: they left him to die for 14 months, they find him useless, old, and unnecessary, yet this is personal for him. Instead, he escapes like nothing happened - like you said - and then just goes back to being the normal James Bond. Chops all of his hair off and goes about the mission.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, if anything, Bond being the 'rebel' that is trying to avoid MI-6 while still working towards his mission (such as QoS' approach) would have been absolutely perfect in DAD: they left him to die for 14 months, they find him useless, old, and unnecessary, yet this is personal for him. Instead, he escapes like nothing happened - like you said - and then just goes back to being the normal James Bond. Chops all of his hair off and goes about the mission.

And if it wasn't for that I would like DAD eons (see what I did there) more than the mess I see it as now. In fact, I would love the Brosnan films equally as much if there wasn't so much missing opportunities in the scripts. So many great moments for reinvention, but then it is all dropped. A shame too, and an even greater tragedy that Pierce didn't get to play the Bond he wanted, getting stuck with the mixed bag instead that left not much room for a serious adaption.
    edited August 2012 Posts: 9,117
    It always peeves me that Bond is an enthusiast on many things, including guns, yet doesn't know the difference between a loaded and unloaded gun in DAD.

James Bond does know the difference beween a loaded gun and an unloaded one - it is part of being a total professional in a job where his life is on the line if he makes a mistake.

The problem here is that P & W and Tamahori dont know the difference between writing a James Bond film and churning out cinematic diarrhoea. Actually Babs and MGW can take some blame here also as there is no way that the fact the magazine is empty and Bond doesnt realise should have got past the first draft before being pulled up as utter bollocks.

I suggest P & W take a gun and feel the weight difference when it has a full magazine and an empty one. And I would advise the quickest way to empty the magazine for this experiment would be for them to put the gun their temples and pull the trigger.

Another appalling moment in DAD which gets overlooked amongst all the others - possibly the worst as it makes Bond look like an amateur.