Why is Goldfinger the general favourite?

Comments

• and can kill himself when he wants to

I think you'd want to rephrase that... =))

haha, ok. He can kill without help when he wants to.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Yes, he can. He can kill redshirts with no problem. Bond has been nearly beaten by many more people, and all of them have done more to him than Goldfinger has (who needed redshirts and Oddjob to subdue Bond, I might add). The one and only reason he nearly succeeded was because he had Bond captured through 3/4 of the movie. He wasn't a real villain, he was a sideshow attraction with funny facial expressions. Goldfinger is what Jaws would have been had Jaws been the main villain: the threat would have been gone.
    Yes, he can. He can kill redshirts with no problem. Bond has been nearly beaten by many more people, and all of them have done more to him than Goldfinger has (who needed redshirts and Oddjob to subdue Bond, I might add). The one and only reason he nearly succeeded was because he had Bond captured through 3/4 of the movie. He wasn't a real villain, he was a sideshow attraction with funny facial expressions. Goldfinger is what Jaws would have been had Jaws been the main villain: the threat would have been gone.

Exactly. Goldfinger's final attempt to kill Bond on the president's plane was such an utter failure from the start. It was a foolish effort, especially considering that he had already escaped successfully, and didn't even need to confront Bond. I really think the directors should have just left this scene out and either (1) have let Goldfinger escape, (2) let Bond track him down and deal with him in the fashion of Mr. White in CR, or (3) make the ending similiar to the novel where Bond and GF slug it out on the plane and GF gets choked to death.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    You know, they should have given him gold teeth in the film. Just thought of that. ;)
    Superman III wasn't good either. F13 parts 1 and 2 are still my favs.

FRWL , OHMSS , FYEO are just as good as GF....imo
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Tracy wrote:
    Superman III wasn't good either. F13 parts 1 and 2 are still my favs.

FRWL , OHMSS , FYEO are just as good as GF....imo

Are you getting into that "Bad 3s" conversation Dimi and I were in a couple pages ago? Because, yes, Superman III was horrible.
  • Goldfinger is the film that made Bond! It has everything in it and has had a massive effect on how the Bond films are made today! :D
  • (all imo). I used to love GF, but slowly and slowly I've started to dislike it more. Don't get me wrong, it's still great and iconic, but I think it's overrated and it's no longer my favourite Connery film. I watched it not too long ago, and I got bored by it so I decided TB was now my favourite Connery film. I watched it again the other day as part of my 2012 Bondathon, and now I think FRWL is better.

It's good, but it DOES get boring and it is overrated, I don't think it deserves to be the general favourite. It started the formula but that doesn't mean it perfected it.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 126
    simple!

*Connery
    *PTS-
    *Aston Martin db5 with weapons
    Girl being painted gold
    Laser "I you expect you to die" scene
    Oddjob's hat
    a girl named "pussy"
    the big ending battle goes down in America
    A guy gets sucked out of an airplane

this stuff wasnt seen on the screen back then. This was Star wars.

Dont get me wrong-FRWL is the best "FILM", this is the best "Bond MOVIE".

I got a question, what if This was the 1st entry in the series? Would FRWL be "The Empire Strikes back" of the series?

####Edit**** lol I really need to start reading the posts , because All the points I made are pretty much verbatim what other posters have already said. Well, I guess that proves WHY it is considered the favorite if everybody can see the same reasons.
    *Connery
    *PTS-
    *Aston Martin db5 with weapons
    Girl being painted gold
    Laser "I you expect you to die" scene
    Oddjob's hat
    a girl named "pussy"
    the big ending battle goes down in America
    A guy gets sucked out of an airplane

I give you the three bolded options, but these alone aren't enough to make this movie the best. The three striked out aren't even half interesting (gee, a guy getting sucked out of an airplane... even if I had seen this in theaters in 1964, this still wouldn't have been impressive to me).
    Well, that is your problem, bro.

If you dont think Bond seeing the thug in the reflection of the ladies eyes is pretty cool, then I dont know what to think. also, unzipping the wetsuit, and he has a Tux underneath is awesome.

edit- Yeah, Connery's cool as hell, confident performance is reason ALONE.
    Not to mention, This had The initial "Q is frustrated at Bond" scene that set up Desmond 's character the rest of the series.
    I've never denied that GF set up several of the conventions we have in Bond today. My problem is that too many people feel it's infallible, when it's one of the most boring films in the series, with the crappiest bad guy (played well, but still crappy), a boring henchman and one of the worst endings I've ever seen on film. Not to mention, Pussy Galore isn't that attractive.

Plus, as Guy Hamilton put it, the PTS is a "wonderful bit of nonsense", which is why I don't like it. I understand that Bond films are supposed to be fun, but when the main character shows up with a duck on his head and is somehow capable of putting a skintight wetsuit on over a slightly baggy tuxedo... A line needs to be drawn there. And, the "seeing things in someone's eye" thing has never interested me.

As far as I'm concerned, the Bond/Q relationship, the DB5, the white tux, and Connery himself are the only good things that movie contained.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    but when the main character shows up with a duck on his head and is somehow capable of putting a skintight wetsuit on over a slightly baggy tuxedo...

I thought that scene was awesome !
    When it comes to listing films in order of 'greatness', there's a definite difference between 'great' and 'good'. The BFI have decided that Vertigo is currently the greatest film ever made (over Citizen Kane for once) but it wouldn't be hard to argue that Vertigo isn't even the 'best' movie by Hitchcock. Part of being 'great' is being influential, and Goldfinger is probably still the most influential Bond film of the lot (not just on the rest of the series but also on other films in general).
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 299
    Like many others have already stated on this thread, it all boils down to how influential it was/is. And in terms of Goldfinger, it really is quite iconic. When you think about it, there are several iconic elements about it, and the formula was truly perfected here for the future of the series. This doesn't make it the best of the series by any means (it's not my personal favorite either), but it was hugely influential, a template so to speak. And it was also the right film at the right time, not just for the franchise, but for the genre as a whole.
    IMO,if you dont like Gf, then you dont lik the series.

Frwl is great, but there are about 5 or 6 Hitchcock spy movies better than that one.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    IMO,if you dont like Gf, then you dont lik the series.

That's a pretty broad opinion. I do feel that GF is overrated at times, but I still love the film and it is in my Top Ten. But just because you don't like a film in the series, doesn't necessarily exclude you from being a fan of the series.
    Yeah, I like Pretty broads.

The majority of them are sillier than Gf.

I dont get the "boring" complaint about this movie. Dr.no , Frwl and Ohmss are just as boring, and Ohmss is just as silly.

I think The so callled "real fans" dont like it because all the critics and the general public like it.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

The majority of them are sillier than Gf.

I dont get the "boring" complaint about this movie. Dr.no , Frwl and Ohmss are just as boring, and Ohmss is just as silly.

I think The so callled "real fans" dont like it because all the critics and the general public like it.

At least Bond isn't captured through half of Dr. No, FRWL and OHMSS. He's captured then escapes quickly after.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 3,494
    IMO,if you don't like GF, then you don't like the series.

Frwl is great, but there are about 5 or 6 Hitchcock spy movies better than that one.

I'm no doubt one of Goldfinger's greatest defenders on this board. Truly I don't understand why everyone doesn't at least appreciate the film. That someone would prefer overdone slop masquerading as a Bond film like MR or DAD to Goldfinger is as DC would say, "appalling" to me. But I wouldn't go that far myself to say what you have here and while I definitely understand your sentiment for sure, people are people and have their opinions and no matter wacked out some may be to you and I, the fact that they have one on all 22 films and some semblance of preference is something indicates they are fans and enjoy the series.

Murdock wrote:

The majority of them are sillier than GF.

I dont get the "boring" complaint about this movie. Dr.No , FRWL and OHMSS are just as boring, and OHMSS is just as silly.

I think The so called "real fans" don't like it because all the critics and the general public like it.

At least Bond isn't captured through half of Dr. No, FRWL and OHMSS. He's captured then escapes quickly after.

My good man Murdock, did you by any chance read my alternative view on Bond's "imprisonment" in Goldfinger? It's a view I believe to be the correct one. Bond wanted to be Goldfinger's "guest". He could have escaped several times and chose not to. And said so in so many words. A spy's job is to stay close to the villain long enough to find out what he or she is up to and then sabotage their plans. Of course everyone who wants to can dislike that the movie went in that direction, but I feel it speaks to Bond's strength of character and sense of duty to risk his life by sticking close to Goldfinger, and the strength of Goldfinger's plan in leaving him little choice but to do so. Those who see the film this way know that this movie is far from "boring".

My good man Murdock, did you by any chance read my alternative view on Bond's "imprisonment" in Goldfinger? It's a view I believe to be the correct one. Bond wanted to be Goldfinger's "guest". He could have escaped several times and chose not to. And said so in so many words. A spy's job is to stay close to the villain long enough to find out what he or she is up to and then sabotage their plans. Of course everyone who wants to can dislike that the movie went in that direction, but I feel it speaks to Bond's strength of character and sense of duty to risk his life by sticking close to Goldfinger, and the strength of Goldfinger's plan in leaving him little choice but to do so. Those who see the film this way know that this movie is far from "boring".

Point taken, but it's still boring to me. However I still enjoy the film on a good day and appreciate it's value in the Bond series. I respect the film, and like it's little nod in "Catch Me if You Can" Good film by the way.

No, I don't like it because it bores the sh*t out of me. So, somehow, that makes me less of a fan than you? You hate some of the films I like, does that make you less of a fan for it? You would say it doesn't, I would say it does. Oh, and OHMSS boring? Let's see, the battle of Piz Gloria is 100% more interesting than all of GF.
    How can Doctor No be boring, did someone watch it with their eyes shut?

Russia does drag on a bit, and it's all a bit serious and technical, it's easy sometimes to get a bit bored actually, but still a great release that has reached legendary status

OHMSS isn't so much boring, except every now and again, but George keeps the action going and there's plenty to get involved in, some of the Piz Gloria bits do seem to go nowhere though

I don't like Goldfinger, as mentioned above, because critics and people give it so much adulation, what they do is their business. It's merely (once again) a long haul of mundane action bits that go nowhere, wasted Bond, wasted potential, and I'd only view it any time now if I had a serious Insomnia issue. Terribly dull film all said
    To me, From Russia with Love is the "Iconic, Historic, Breakthrough" Film in the franchise, I had just as much Gadgets if not more than Goldfinger. If I don't like it good! I'm tired of the grilling I get that follows my opinion.
  • I dont hate Ohmss, Frwl or Dr No.Well, I am not a big fan of Dr. No, but It is just my opinion.

Nobody 'hates' any Bond release, it is too strong a word. One or two releases really irritate or leave an unfavorable impression, but I could never hate them

The only thing that is reserved for, regarding the James Bond franchise, is the awful piece of shit theme intros from Madonna and Keys and White, that's as close to genuine hate as I go for anything Bond, i.e. genuine loathing and distaste

Too late for me, so it's a goodnight

I-)
    Nobody 'hates' any Bond release

Sorry, I hate Goldfinger.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I hate TWINE, CR and QOS, and stongly dislike DN. Apart from that, I love all 18 other Bond films.
  • I don't hate any of them, but I think DN, QOS, DAF, AVTAK and DAD aren't as good as Bond films usually are.
    I hate TWINE, CR and QOS, and stongly dislike DN. Apart from that, I love all 18 other Bond films.

I knew about the first three, but I didn't know you weren't a big fan of DN. How come?