Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    No, we're ending this, gents. Time to move on before things turn ugly.

Thank you.

I don't want to repeat myself, but we're one more post in this ridiculous bickering away from freezing the thread, gents.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    We may as well. Not like there's news anyway
    Yes, I suppose the best answer to the thread's title is: "into pre production" :)
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    a8d80edb-61a5-46c5-a67c-26fca310929c_text.gif
    Babs looking old. (:|

Do the formerly young need such reminders?

• Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Univex wrote: »
    Yes, I suppose the best answer to the thread's title is: "into pre production" :)

Nah it should be fans argue about a budget for a Bond movie that's EONs away from being released
    Am I the only one would would LOVE a very topical Bond 26, set in Russia and/or Ukraine?
    Am I the only one would would LOVE a very topical Bond 26, set in Russia and/or Ukraine?

Probably not the only one, but I get enough of both daily on the news. I'd much rather see a Bond film ripped from the pages of the slightly fantastical than ripped from the headlines.

• George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    edited March 17 Posts: 565
    Babs looking old. (:|

That does tend to happen. Nolan's not exactly a spring chicken either.
  • FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    edited March 17 Posts: 735

Interesting ... but no chance it'll happen, IMO. Being reflexively pro-Ukraine/anti-Russia, which I assume a Bond movie would have to be, even around the edges, is not a universal position in much of the world outside the UK and most of Europe.

CInematic Bond is all about avoiding real-world controversy. It's escapism from that. And you just couldn't avoid the politics of it all ... the same reason the series ignored the Vietnam War, the conflict in Northern Ireland, and will never go anywhere near Israel/Palestine.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I think it's time we had another stolen nuke plot. Corrupt US president behind it? Would be quite timely

I think we can do without the faintly veiled political posts @Scaramanga1974
    Our personal political thoughts and comments should be kept to ourselves.
    Thank you.
  • Benny wrote: »
    I think it's time we had another stolen nuke plot. Corrupt US president behind it? Would be quite timely

I think we can do without the faintly veiled political posts @Scaramanga1974
    Our personal political thoughts and comments should be kept to ourselves.
    Thank you.

Apologies. Point taken. He wouldn't be behind a stolen nuke plot. What was I thinking. He has a big enough arsenal of them anyway.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria

A very nice video to celebrate Craig's Bond!
  • edited March 17 Posts: 486

It could be titled "From Ukraine With Love". (I'm not being ironic.)
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    That make think, which was the most topical Bond film? I think it would have to be TLD. It was the most brazen with Bond actually participating with the Mujahideen in the battlefield against Soviet troops, with Joe Don Baker being undoubtedly influenced by Oliver North.

It’s hard to imagine Bond getting that topical again.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    DN was pretty topical.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I don't know I think there's being topical and then there's trying to tackle something extremely sensitive and still ongoing? I think it'd be a mistake. Remember how No Time To Die had to change it's script due to being too topical?
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    edited March 18 Posts: 1,368
    Just give us sheer escapism. I don't think the producers need to pay attention to real life happenings. Just take us out of the everyday mundane life...like the old Bond films were doing.
    I think Bond has to recognisably take place in the world we know. It’s a part of what keeps the series modern.

That’s not to say Bond isn’t escapist or that he has to fight specific enemies (on the contrary, often the films have avoided being too ‘political’ in this sense). But there’ll be some acknowledgment of world events post 2020.
    The point is not to make an outdated movie before its time.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited March 18 Posts: 5,869
    I think you can present a topical geopolitical context without touching upon real life events that, as I said, are still ongoing and could develop further to the point where the script could come across as insensitive.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    CR deftly established is place in the modern world by briefly referencing 911 and some of the interesting circumstances surrounding it. Beyond that it didn't become entangled is specific world conflict and politics.
    talos7 wrote: »
    CR deftly established is place in the modern world by briefly referencing 911 and some of the interesting circumstances surrounding it. Beyond that it didn't become entangled is specific world conflict and politics.

Pretty much. It’s similar to GE which obviously uses the end of the Cold War as a backdrop. Or how the older Bond films used the Cold War, come to think of it…

So potentially there’ll be some sort of nod to real world events. I can personally imagine a Bond villain briefly mention Covid in a ‘look how easy it is to bring the world to its knees’ type way.
  • edited March 18 Posts: 486
    Crazy idea: EON should hire both Villeneuve and Nolan two create two different Bond 26 movies and then release them in the same year, like a month or so apart (Bond 26A and Bond 26B). Battle of the Bonds!
    I know that the producers usually shy away from anything topical, but the Russian invasion of Ukraine being part of the plot of Bond 26 would be great. Sure, many would say that it's propaganda but so what? Even if it were propaganda, a propaganda movie can still be a great movie.

I wouldn’t want to see Bond on the front line in Ukraine or anything films like this shouldn’t get that inolved in real conflicts imo. But I would like to see the Russians as villains in the films. Preferred SMERSH to SPECTRE in the books.
    I’m sure it’s unlikely, but what if Nolan came on as a producer, Broccoli and Wilson moved into Executive Producing and Villeneuve directed? Thunderball was a special case but, for that film, Broccoli and Saltzman Executive Produced while McClory Produced.
    Burgess wrote: »
    I’m sure it’s unlikely, but what if Nolan came on as a producer, Broccoli and Wilson moved into Executive Producing and Villeneuve directed? Thunderball was a special case but, for that film, Broccoli and Saltzman Executive Produced while McClory Produced.

This isn't making a roster for a sports team.
    Just give us sheer escapism. I don't think the producers need to pay attention to real life happenings. Just take us out of the everyday mundane life...like the old Bond films were doing.

Agree. I don't need a fictional film about real life events I am reading about in the daily headlines.
  • FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    edited March 19 Posts: 735
    I know that the producers usually shy away from anything topical, but the Russian invasion of Ukraine being part of the plot of Bond 26 would be great. Sure, many would say that it's propaganda but so what? Even if it were propaganda, a propaganda movie can still be a great movie.

I wouldn’t want to see Bond on the front line in Ukraine or anything films like this shouldn’t get that inolved in real conflicts imo. But I would like to see the Russians as villains in the films. Preferred SMERSH to SPECTRE in the books.
    That make think, which was the most topical Bond film? I think it would have to be TLD. It was the most brazen with Bond actually participating with the Mujahideen in the battlefield against Soviet troops, with Joe Don Baker being undoubtedly influenced by Oliver North.

It’s hard to imagine Bond getting that topical again.

Yes, interesting ... I'd have to rewatch the ending of TLD again, but are the Soviets really presented as villains in that film? Pushkin is clearly the "good" Soviet who arrests the renegade Koskov at the end, if memory serves.

Throughout the film series, good guys on both sides are reasonable peer competitors, still working towards an uneasy detente from the end of the '70s ....

I think I'm correct in saying that where there were "bad Russians" in the movies they were always state renegades, as with Klebb and Orlov, usually offset by "good Russians" like Tatiana and Gogol, in OP, or Anya, for the matter.

Again, using the Cold War as background, but in such a way as to not risk offense. Who knows when Cubby might need a favour or when/if the films might play there .... afterall, by 1987 the Soviet Union was in precipitous decline and its disastrous war in Afghanistan would soon be over, as would the SU itself. Relations are far, far worse today ...

Are we meant to see the Mujahideen as liberators? Probably, as I recall that's how they were presented in the media of the day. But in the film, aren't they selling heroin to Koskov to fund arms deals or such?
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    The moment that stood out to me was where Bond drops a bomb on a bridge, killing Russian soldiers as they were charging towards Afghan fighters. As the bridge collapses we see the Afghan fighters cheering for Bond, to victorious John Barry music.

Contrast that to GE where Bond kills a bunch of Russian soldiers after Orumov calls for them after murdering Mishkin. They were likely not affiliated with Janus, just a bunch of unfortunate souls following the orders of a corrupt general.