'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited August 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I've never watched the show - please don't hit me - but I did get excited to find that link and show it to you guys. I may have to get into it sometime, I feel like it's another one of those shows I'll always ignore and never watch, but it's a real gem.

If you want to get involved, start with this year's Christmas special. I won't say why, but it will be the perfect start. Hope you join Doctor Who then @Creasy47.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Samuel001, I'm not sure what is contained in the 'Doctor Who' episodes on Netflix, but I may give it a shot sometime. It's been a big favorite of many people, so I'm sure I'll have a good time with it.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    That trailer doesn't really excite me, but i'll still be watching.

@Creasy47 - I don't think there's any specific point you should jump in at. Try and see a number of stories from the different eras to give you an idea. I guess catching up on the Smith stories so far would be a good start.
    I just didn't know what was the best place to start out at, as I've literally no clue about the show, story, characters, anything, so I wanted to start at the best place that would leave me the least amount of clueless.
    The 11th hour is a good one to start with.

• oo7oo7
    a good start to be made there. or the 2005 reboot opening series. too many people got too caught up with Tennant and Russell t Davis work.
    I agree, The Eleventh Hour or, this year's Christmas special. If you backtrack to that episode, you'll have 28 episodes to catch up on.

In short, Doctor Who is about an alien, called the Doctor, who travels through time and space, often with a companion.
    Are the episodes with Tennant entertaining to watch? I loved him in 'Fright Night,' and I haven't seen him in anything else before.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Are the episodes with Tennant entertaining to watch? I loved him in 'Fright Night,' and I haven't seen him in anything else before.

I am not a fan of his Dictor.Too much grizzling. Smith is only 29 but gets the character straight away.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    That all depends on who you ask, personally, I didn't like Tennant's take on the role, it feels too much like Eccleston (whom I also don't like).
    I too am not the biggest fan of Tennant. His voice is very grating.

If you watch his episodes, you may as well go the whole way and start with the Eccleston series instead.
    I've honestly no idea what episode this is right now. It started, yet I can't search through seasons and it won't tell me the information of the show. I surmise this was in 2005, and it starts out with Rose in a department store and a good bit of living mannequins.
    That was Rose, the first episode of the Eccleston era / the modern era of Who.
    Yeah, I'm not too fond of this guy thus far. I'll see how it pans out.
    Give him a chance. The Doctor often changes as his companion gets to know him, so stay with it, if you can.
    oo7 wrote:
    <object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qrEUBl2pacU?version=3&hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qrEUBl2pacU?version=3&hl=en_GB"; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Forgotten all about this! Looks great! Roll on the new series!
    Neil Gailman will return with the Cybermen next year.
    Also New title sequance for 50th.
    Seriously this page has got major spoilers. READ AT OWN RISK
    http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/lots-of-series-7-spoilers-36949.htm.
    Interesting info.
    I like the Smith era opening titles / theme arrangement, but I can understand the use of a new theme for the 2nd half of seres 7. Will they go back to the current one, or come up with a new theme for series 8?
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 1,856
    Interesting info.
    I like the Smith era opening titles / theme arrangement, but I can understand the use of a new theme for the 2nd half of seres 7. Will they go back to the current one, or come up with a new theme for series 8?

I'll have an answer in 2014
    A new theme and titles may make sense and be welcomed more with a new companion.

All that information is very exciting and should mean some great stories are heading our way over the next year and a bit.

Thanks @Virage.
    There's a 50th anniversary documentary due in 2013...

The BBC today announced that a special BBC TWO drama has been commissioned to mark the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who next year.

An Adventure In Space And Time will tell the story of the genesis of Doctor Who since its first broadcast on 23rd November 1963. Exploring all aspects of the longest running science fiction series to date, the special one-off 90-minute drama will also look at the many personalities involved in bringing the series to life.

Written by Mark Gatiss, it is executive produced by current Doctor Who showrunner, Steven Moffat, and Caroline Skinner. The single drama was commissioned by Ben Stephenson Controller, Drama, and Janice Hadlow, Controller of BBC Two.

Mark Gatiss said: "This is the story of how an unlikely set of brilliant people created a true television original. And how an actor - William Hartnell - stereotyped in hard-man roles became a hero to millions of children. I've wanted to tell this story for more years than I can remember! To make it happen for Doctor Who's 50th birthday is quite simply a dream come true."

Steven Moffat, Executive Producer, said: “The story of Doctor Who is the story of television - so it's fitting in the anniversary year that we make our most important journey back in time to see how the TARDIS was launched.”

The production and transmission schedule will be confirmed next year, along with casting.

http://news.drwho-online.co.uk/#New-BBC-Two-drama-to-mark-50th-anniversary-of-Doctor-Who
    Samuel001 wrote:
    A new theme and titles may make sense and be welcomed more with a new companion.

All that information is very exciting and should mean some great stories are heading our way over the next year and a bit.

What about the Richard E. Grant (twice DW himself) in the Xmas special??

Lets hope he is the next Master.

• St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    Creasy47 wrote:

Not a bad idea to gen up on some background info from the 'Classic series' as well, as the show and character existed way before 2005 and developed as it went along since its beginning in 1963. Visiting the official website may be a good place for that... :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/

As to Tennant... his is a very 'mainstream' Doctor; one for the masses. It's a very human incarnation, less alien. If you don't mind that, it's hard to fault really - and he's an excellent actor (his Hamleyt was fantastic). But it's for that reason that he's far from my favourite too - given, you know, The Doctor isn't a human being. Plus, his Mockney accent always was a bit grating - why he didn't use his excellent natural Scottish brogue, I'll never know, but hey-ho...
    Let's hope for a very good documentary next year. But why BBC Two? I'd air it on BBC One on the evening of Saturday 23rd November, before the anniversary episode, personally. Whoever is behind the current way of thinking may have things a little backwards.
    St_George wrote:
    Plus, his Mockney accent always was a bit grating - why he didn't use his excellent natural Scottish brogue, I'll never know, but hey-ho...

Something more in line with the Seventh Doctor would have sounded far better, I agree.
  • Creasy47 wrote:

I've only seen some of the new ones, but he's actually my favourite one out of the 3 doctors I've seen. More down to earth than the others, I like how he kept his northen accent. Tennant was Scottish but used an English accent which just sounds annoying.
    edited August 2012 Posts: 13,882
    Another trip to Forbidden Planet in Cardiff, another BF Audio for the collection...

DW162CD.jpg

I'm listening to it as I type.
    With McCoy filming The Hobbit, there's very little of the 7th Doctor (so it's not like the Companion Chronicles). With the Doctor missing for most of the story, it's up to Ace & Hex to find out what's going on. Aldred especially gets to drive the story as Ace early on. When the Doctor does show up in parts 3 & 4, he has reverted back to his machiavellian ways. Much to my pleasure, I must admit. Surprisingly, I didn't mind Hex in this story.

All in all, quite a dark story that would not have been out of place in series 26 or 27. And if the next two stories (Black And White & Gods And Monsters) follow suit, then 7th Doctor fans in particular will be in for a treat. =D> Bring 'em on Big Finish.
    Mary Tamm's husband has died hours after her funeral from a heart attack. Tragic.

RIP.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/aug/09/doctor-who-mary-tamm-husband?newsfeed=true
  • Samuel001 wrote:
    Mary Tamm's husband has died hours after her funeral from a heart attack. Tragic.

RIP.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/aug/09/doctor-who-mary-tamm-husband?newsfeed=true

Very sad, feel for the family. RIP.

• There's a 50th anniversary documentary due in 2013...

The BBC today announced that a special BBC TWO drama has been commissioned to mark the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who next year.

An Adventure In Space And Time will tell the story of the genesis of Doctor Who since its first broadcast on 23rd November 1963. Exploring all aspects of the longest running science fiction series to date, the special one-off 90-minute drama will also look at the many personalities involved in bringing the series to life.

Written by Mark Gatiss, it is executive produced by current Doctor Who showrunner, Steven Moffat, and Caroline Skinner. The single drama was commissioned by Ben Stephenson Controller, Drama, and Janice Hadlow, Controller of BBC Two.

Mark Gatiss said: "This is the story of how an unlikely set of brilliant people created a true television original. And how an actor - William Hartnell - stereotyped in hard-man roles became a hero to millions of children. I've wanted to tell this story for more years than I can remember! To make it happen for Doctor Who's 50th birthday is quite simply a dream come true."

Steven Moffat, Executive Producer, said: “The story of Doctor Who is the story of television - so it's fitting in the anniversary year that we make our most important journey back in time to see how the TARDIS was launched.”

The production and transmission schedule will be confirmed next year, along with casting.

http://news.drwho-online.co.uk/#New-BBC-Two-drama-to-mark-50th-anniversary-of-Doctor-Who

I'm very excited about this development. Great idea and very fitting for the 50th anniversary.
    The Robot in the Wild west clip reminds me of the Borg in Star Trek. Really looking forward to the new series kicking off soon! :-bd