Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

talos7 wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    So far none of the actors mentioned completely convince me. Even those I brought forward myself.

Well absolutely, much of what they’re being assessed on at this point is somewhat superficial. Ultimately, from informal meetings to screentest , that is why there is a vigorous vetting process. I readily admit that , upon doing a screentest, it’s possible that my , fluid, top 3 candidates may be viewed as completely unsuitable,

And it's regardless of the pace things are going: some actors might get snatched for other projects, for instance.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    This is unfair, but Oscar Salem reminds me of the Liberty Mutual ad and the guy that can't say his lines.

3c8255c93e3e76113c0273e07f042d516a6c5744.gifv

Oscar-Salem.jpg
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I do think that the “ superhero fatigue “ could benefit landing a desired actor.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    I would like Bond 7 to look like the original Milk Tray Man....Gary Myers.
  • We live in an era of perfect looks. It would be pointless to cast an AI a like. He has to be old enough to convince. I’ve no suggestions ;)
    This is unfair, but Oscar Salem reminds me of the Liberty Mutual ad and the guy that can't say his lines.

3c8255c93e3e76113c0273e07f042d516a6c5744.gifv

Oscar-Salem.jpg

Lol, those are actually pretty entertaining spots.
    I do think that the “ superhero fatigue “ could benefit landing a desired actor.

I think so too. A role in a superhero movie or series is no longer guarantee of fame and if not job security.
  • edited December 2023 Posts: 303

I think so too. A role in a superhero movie or series is no longer guarantee of fame and if not job security.

Indeed! Henry Cavill made an Instagram video saying he was back as Superman. Turned out it was a one minute cameo in Black Adam and not a new Superman film! Cavill had to release a statement confirming his unexpected departure. Role was recast.

Same scenario with Pierce Brosnan. He thought he would be back for a fifth Bond film but, as we all know, it never happened. Both Cavill and Brosnan were not under contract so the producers were entitled to recast. No loyalty necessary! One day you're the big star, the next day you're not wanted.

• edited December 2023 Posts: 176
    Maybe Martin McCreadie? He played Captain Doyle on The Alienist and Arthur in The Haunting of Bly Manor. He has kind of a rugged Daniel Craig-type look to him. I believe he's currently 37.

https://www.conwayvangeldergrant.com/media/videos/martin_mccreadie_showreel_1080p.mp4_360p.mp4

Edit:

Here's a weird video someone made of his scenes from Bly Manor:

Maybe Martin McCreadie? He played Captain Doyle on The Alienist and Arthur in The Haunting of Bly Manor. He has kind of a rugged Daniel Craig-type look to him. I believe he's currently 37.

https://www.conwayvangeldergrant.com/media/videos/martin_mccreadie_showreel_1080p.mp4_360p.mp4

Agreed. I really like McCreadie's look for Bond.

Me too. Very nice suggestion.
    Univex wrote: »

Me too. Very nice suggestion.

Yeah, sure.

Edit:

Interesting. How old is he?
  • Ludovico wrote: »

Based on some internet research I believe he's 37.

Based on some internet research I believe he's 37.

Right age if he was to be cast soon, as in now.
  • edited January 1 Posts: 2,901

Edit:

Oh yeah, I do recognise this actor. He’s got a very ‘classic’ Bond type look (perhaps a bit too much - I’m not sure if I’d look at him twice just based on a photo) but I think his ruggedness and charisma put him at an advantage. Pretty solid actor. Yeah, I can see it.
    007HallY wrote: »

Edit:

Oh yeah, I do recognise this actor. He’s got a very ‘classic’ Bond type look (perhaps a bit too much - I’m not sure if I’d look at him twice just based on a photo) but I think his ruggedness and charisma put him at an advantage. Pretty solid actor. Yeah, I can see it.

Honestly, his Bond look is very, very, very sharp. Very obvious!
  • TuxedoTuxedo Europe
    To me he's the most interesting suggestion so far.
    Tuxedo wrote: »
    To me he's the most interesting suggestion so far.

He is.
    I can understand wanting to think outside of the box when assessing actors , he has to be more than a “pretty face “ , but sometimes the obvious choice is the right one.

Speaking for myself, I absolutely want a strong actor cast , but I’m ready for one who has a classic, traditional Bond look.

Edit:

He hasn't been in anything since 2020. That could be a concern.
  • edited January 1 Posts: 2,901
    M_Blaise wrote: »

Edit:

He hasn't been in anything since 2020. That could be a concern.

In film/TV anyway. I think he might be more a theatre guy. He actually doesn’t have all that many IMDB credits as an actor.
  • buddyoldchapbuddyoldchap Formerly known as JeremyBondon
    Both his eyes and mouth hang, looks wise it's a no. However, Craig wasn't a looker either, so in that case why not.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited January 2 Posts: 5,869
    Just found this article where Callum Turner is asked about rumours surrounding him in the role. I didn't even think there was rumours? As we all know, I'm down for him to get a screentest, it's just interesting to consider what PEOPLE were basing this information on because again I've not seen anything in terms of rumours, just suggestions from people on here and some on Twitter.

https://people.com/callum-turner-jokes-his-mom-behind-james-bond-casting-rumors-exclusive-8418677

ATJ is also mentioned in the article. It's kinda strange but interesting to hear two of my top contenders being asked about it to be honest.

"Will Callum Turner fill Daniel Craig’s stylish shoes as the next James Bond? His mom sure hopes so, he says.

Talking with PEOPLE about the online rumors and oddsmakers who say he’s under consideration to play the secret agent on screen, Turner, 33, quips, “I think that's my mum. She just puts that out there. So when my odds get higher, it's all her putting the money on.”

Though Callum, who stars in the new historical sports drama The Boys in the Boat and the upcoming World War II series Masters of the Air, claims he’s had no meetings about playing the suave spy, he notes he’s a fan of “amazing producer” Barbara Broccoli.

“She makes incredible films,” he says. “I'd love to work with her in any capacity.

Other actors whose names have been floated include Euphoria and Saltburn star Jacob Elordi and Bullet Train actor Aaron Taylor-Johnson.

Taylor-Johnson demurred when asked by Esquire earlier this year about the Bond rumors. “As I’ve already told you, I have to go by the beat of my own drum," he said. "It’s my own path, what feels intuitive to me. I’ve never made a decision based on other people’s perspectives, or their judgments, or their expectations.”
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Just found this article where Callum Turner is asked about rumours surrounding him in the role. I didn't even think there was rumours? As we all know, I'm down for him to get a screentest, it's just interesting to consider what PEOPLE were basing this information on because again I've not seen anything in terms of rumours, just suggestions from people on here and some on Twitter.

https://people.com/callum-turner-jokes-his-mom-behind-james-bond-casting-rumors-exclusive-8418677

They must have people everywhere.
    edited January 2 Posts: 7,980
    Other than here, I haven’t seen any rumors, or speculation, of C. Turner being considered for Bond ; of course this is meaningless, @Denbigh you may be a visionary 😉

( edit) I have to say that I have been very resistant to C. Turner as a candidate, while I’m not a complete convert, I do find him impressive in interviews and he has one of the best voices in a field of weak voiced actors

• Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Callum Turner definitely deserves a screentest. I don't know why, but uy his voice reminds of a deeper version of Jay Kay from Jamiroquai
    Without even seeing a screentest, I would cast him over ATJ based on voice alone.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Without even seeing a screentest, I would cast him over ATJ based on voice alone.

Absolutely. ATJ being the frontrunner is a concern
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited January 2 Posts: 5,869
    I remember he went out with Vanessa Kirby a few years ago, but anyway, yeah he definitely has a really good voice. There's something quite classic yet still modern about his tone.

It's also funny that he's in that interview with Joel because I also think Joel would make a good Felix Leiter.