Last TV Show You Watched?

Comments

• PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Everybody Loves Raymond
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Quoting PrinceKamalKhan:
    Everybody Loves Raymond
    Love the show. Essential viewing for any married couples.

In UK, just seen the last episode (ever) of Waking The Dead. Came into this show late, so missed about 6 series. Enjoyed it, and made a mental note to seek out the earlier series.

Dr Who back soon, woohoo
    Burn notice.
    My favorite show on t.v.
  • **Spoilers**

Stargate Universe: Twin Destinies
    Photobucket
    Okay, so this is basically a rip-off of the TNG episode Time Squared in which Colonel Telford is written ridiculously inconsistently and the whole thing wraps up in a neatly contrived fashion that reminds me of many Voyager stories. It’s amazing how the crew of the Destiny manage to keep losing their shuttles and getting them back via time-travel or god-like aliens. All that said, however, this was a really entertaining episode of SGU with plenty of action and a lot more humor than I was used to seeing on this show. I actually think that Twin Destinies makes a pretty convincing case that a lighter, faster version of SGU would have worked just fine with the current cast and premise. That’s not to say I haven’t enjoyed the latest (and last?) Stargate show’s more serious and slow-paced style, but it’s hard not to wonder if SGU would still be in production if it had pandered a little more to the casual mainstream viewers. What could have been…

Alliances
    Photobucket
    The Lucian Alliance attack finally pays off, and Greer and Camille get stuck right in the middle of it. This episode had a fair amount of tension and did a good job developing its two primary characters (both of whom had felt very one-note for most of the first season). That said, though Alliances was entertaining, it felt a bit insubstantial in the context of the show's arc plot. In my mind, this is probably the least memorable episode of Season 2.5 (which still makes it better than much of 2.0, mind you).

SGU Season Two Episode Ranking:
    Episode (Episode Number) Relative Rating out of Five
    Trial and Error (6) ****
    Deliverance (11) ****
    Twin Destinies (12) ****
    Aftermath (2) ****
    Resurgence (10) ****
    The Greater Good (7) ****
    Alliances (13) ***1/2
    Pathogen (4) ***1/2
    Awakening (3) ***1/2
    Visitation (9) ***
    Malice (8) **1/2
    Intervention (1) **1/2
    Cloverdale (5) *1/2

Godzilla: The Series: New Family, Parts 1 & 2
    Photobucket
    For being an animated sequel to the hugely disappointing 1998 Godzilla film, I thought this was not bad at all. The story revolves around Dr. Niko Tatopoulos (the hero from the film), who finds one of the now-deceased Godzilla’s hatchlings (god, I hated that twist in the movie) and ends up befriending it. Along with a team of colorful scientists (and with the assistance of the French Secret Service), Niko sets out to convince the military of Godzilla Jr.’s usefulness and battle the other monstrosities that seem to be popping up everywhere. The pilot is pretty standard 90’s action cartoon material, with exaggerated monster fights and (unlike the Emmerich film) inoffensively likable characters. The plethora of sci-fi references were fun, too.

D.O.A.
    Godzilla is incapacitated by a Latin American biological weapon while a giant worm devours rain forests. This episode wasn’t as involving as the opening two-parter (what with Godzilla being knocked out for most of the time), but the constant stream of witty one-liners worked well enough. The French Secret Service agent Monique Dupre is rapidly establishing herself as the show’s best (human) character by a fairly wide margin.

Talkin’ Trash
    Godzilla takes a narrative backseat as Niko and his newly-named Humanitarian Environmental Analysis Team (H.E.A.T.) battle nanotech microbes that are threatening to devour New York City. Gotta love how nanobots can magically achieve sentience after chewing on a few pieces of trash.

The Winter of Our Discontent
    The H.E.A.T. crew gets an offer to work for a brilliant CEO named Mr. Winter who manufactures high-tech weaponry. He also has his own lair, specializes in mind control and has an interest in Godzilla. What do you think are the chances that he’s less than sincere? As fun as the monsters are, I wouldn’t mind seeing more human villains like Winter in later episodes — there’s just no substitute for a classic “How I’m going to conquer the world!” speech.

Cat and Mouse
    Godzilla takes on giant mutant rats and RPG-wielding Southern hunters while Niko tries to balance his work and love lives. We’re finally to the stage of damaging famous landmarks, with Central Station and the Chrysler Building both in need of significant repair by the episode’s end.

What Dreams May Come
    H.E.A.T. takes on a comatose bus worker whose subconscious may be manipulating an electronically-charged beast that is attacking Manhattan. With Godzilla not serving much of a function in the plot apart from demolishing Shea Stadium, this episode’s plot felt more like something out of The X-Files. I seriously wasn’t expecting the theories of Sigmund Freud to show up this show!

Leviathan
    Loads of sci-fi references, crazy “sets” and a surprisingly ambiguous ending highlight the introduction of aliens to the show. Godzilla takes a back seat to our human heroes once again, and I think the plot was better off for it. If the groundwork laid here pays off later in the season, he’ll have plenty of time to punch out aliens at that point.

Hive
    Godzilla and H.E.A.T. take a trip to a Mysterious Island, battling oversized plants and giant bees. This episode feels a bit pedestrian at first, but builds to satisfying conclusion as Godzilla battles the queen bee during a volcanic eruption.

Bird of Paradise
    Godzilla takes on Quetzalcoatl as one of the H.E.A.T. members is reunited with her old fiancé. This was decent entry, although it’s strange to have two jungle and volcano-centric stories in a row.

DeadLoch
    Nick is skeptical of the Loch Ness monster’s existence after fighting Quetzalcoatl with the assistance of a giant lizard. Nick is stupid. Godzilla, on the other hand, shows himself to be quite intelligent, making moral decisions that surprise his human “family.” A good balance of action and mystery in this one, with the titular monster’s appearances being brief, but meaningful.

Godzilla: The Series Episode Ranking:
    Leviathan (8)
    The Winter of Our Discontent (5)
    What Dreams May Come (7)
    DeadLoch (11)
    Cat and Mouse (6)
    Hive (9)
    Bird of Paradise (10)
    Talkin’ Trash (4)
    New Family, Parts 2 (2)
    New Family, Parts 1 (1)
    D.O.A. (3)
    "It's the Easter Beagle, Charlie Brown."
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited April 2011 Posts: 23,449
    Star Trek: The original series season one

I love these old ST episodes. Great stuff. Their plots are often simple and sometimes resemble each other but they're still great fun to watch. I grew up watching The Next Generation so I'm glad I can at least visit the old series on DVD now. Moving on to season two now.
    "Batman: The Londinium Larcenies"
    @DarthDimi: Currently viewing season one of TOS myself except I am loving the Blu-ray quality of the episodes which look pretty amazing and very detailed from time to time.
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    Firefly
    Complete Series

Amazing show, I loved it. What a huge shame FOX cancelled it. At least they made a movie and finished the story.

Doctor Who
    Episodes 1 & 2

Finally started Doctor Who. It looks quite good. I'm not a huge fan of the Doctor though. I can't wait for David Tennant to take over.
  • edited May 2011 Posts: 139
    blockquote>Quoting NicNac: Dr Who back soon, woohoo

Never really got into Who..... was always more of a Blake's 7 man myself.....

As for now, started rewatching The A-Team Season 3 on my iPod during the commute... ah those saturday teatime memories.....

Sadly the Wife also makes me watch her Bones dvd set by night..... grumble.... my IQ's dropping by the second....
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Watched The Shadow Line on BBC2 last night (episode 1 ). Slow moving, slow burning, simply loads of chatty scenes.
    Yet it was quite compelling and I couldn't really stop thinking about it. Yes, I'm hooked and I actually managed to follow the complex plot with its multiple characters and the smudging of the lines between good and bad.
    All about cops and drug lords and starring Chiwetel Ejiofor and Christopher Eccleston. Seriously can't wait until next week.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    edited May 2011 Posts: 2,630
    Watched Chuck, it was a very suspenseful episode but I enjoyed it very much.
  • edited May 2011 Posts: 4,622
    Still hanging with The Event. One more ep to go. Its nothing special but it holds my interest. It's lightweight fare for the genre, much like V. It's certainly not in the same class as Lost or Prison Break.
    I've hung with Nikita as well. One more ep to go there. Again nothing special but watchable. Kind of a poor man's Alias.
    Fringe finished up rather interestingly. Looking forward to a new season.
    I like the science fantasy and spy fantasy genre so I try to follow these shows. Its about all I watch. I hate serious cop shows, lawyer, medical, private eye. Anything quasi- realistic. I check them out occasionally but they never hold me, even the better shows.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Doctor Who
    Episodes 1 & 2

Finally started Doctor Who. It looks quite good. I'm not a huge fan of the Doctor though. I can't wait for David Tennant to take over.
    Do you mean Hartnell's Doctor? He's not one of my favourites, he sits at the lower-middle of my list.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Doctor Who
    Episodes 1 & 2

Do you mean Hartnell's Doctor? He's not one of my favourites, he sits at the lower-middle of my list.

Maybe he started with the Christopher Ecclestone episodes... ;-)
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    Doctor Who
    Episodes 1 & 2

Yes, I meant Eccleston's actually. I should have mentioned, I started with the 2005 series.

I finished it last night. Fantastic! Eccleston grew on me a lot! Almost every episode was great, including the last two. Amazing finale. Looking forward to starting the next season with David Tennant.
  • LudsLuds MIA
    Still hanging with The Event. One more ep to go. Its nothing special but it holds my interest. It's lightweight fare for the genre, much like V. It's certainly not in the same class as Lost or Prison Break.
    I've hung with Nikita as well. One more ep to go there. Again nothing special but watchable. Kind of a poor man's Alias.
    Fringe finished up rather interestingly. Looking forward to a new season.
    I like the science fantasy and spy fantasy genre so I try to follow these shows. Its about all I watch. I hate serious cop shows, lawyer, medical, private eye. Anything quasi- realistic. I check them out occasionally but they never hold me, even the better shows.
    Same here, I'm watching only because they already announced it's cancelled and because Taylor Cole is beautiful. The writing is horrid, the acting is mediocre at best, the action as well, I'm going to finish the series and never think about it again ;)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited May 2011 Posts: 13,882
    Doctor Who
    Episodes 1 & 2

Yes, I meant Eccleston's actually. I should have mentioned, I started with the 2005 series.

I finished it last night. Fantastic! Eccleston grew on me a lot! Almost every episode was great, including the last two. Amazing finale. Looking forward to starting the next season with David Tennant.
    Ah, so are you a first time watcher? If so, i'd seriously suggest watcing Classic Who. Though you can skip the Davison/5th Doctor era. ;-)

Same here, I'm watching only because they already announced it's cancelled and because Taylor Cole is beautiful. The writing is horrid, the acting is mediocre at best, the action as well, I'm going to finish the series and never think about it again ;)
    Damn, the Event is cancelled.#-O Taylor Cole is enough reason to keep it going. It was looking like she was going to romantically connect with the young hero.
    I know the show sucks, but it still works as harmless, contemporary sci-fi. I'm just getting used to it, getting comfortable with it and its gone, like 90% of these genre shows. Most of them don't last. Damn. It was a good waste of an hour on Monday nights.
    Oh well hopefully V and Fringe will survive into next fall. Fringe looks like a lock. V maybe on life support too. Nikita might get another year.
    If all else fails, I can buy up Lost seasons and watch that whole song and dance over again.

• LudsLuds MIA
    @timmer It started well in the first few shows, nice story, nice young characters, then went south as soon as the here's girlfriend was rescued. The two month hiatus did it some good as it came back strong with another 4 shows or so at midpoint, only to drop down into mediocrity once more. The story is going nowhere and everywhere at the same time. It seems like it still has potential, yet the writers chose to taunt viewers with some possible scenarios only to have them not happen as a swerve. Rather than take the obvious turn: have Cole get involved with the hero is a fine example, they decide just to give us a tiny piece and just make a u-turn in the last moment. This is the exact area where Lost failed miserably as well. I'm actually quite happy the show is cancelled as it was a complete disappointment imo, had plenty of potential. Yet had it been kept, I wonder if I wouldn't have given it a second chance as well. Very much like Lost, and Heroes, and V, the full potential was never quite achieved for me and overstayed its welcome by a few seasons (or at least it feels like this is season 5!)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2011 Posts: 15,686
    V has been cancelled. :-((
  • LudsLuds MIA
    Yeah I kinda liked V even though it really sucked ;)
    I was disappointed that ABC cancelled V as well. It certainly wasn't the best show in the world, but it was pretty entertaining despite several shortcomings. I thought that the cast was great, but they weren't given a whole lot to work with in terms of the writing. It's a shame that they decided to leave the series off in the way they did in the final moments of the finale.

Last TV shows I watched were the season finales of Chuck and Castle. Both were great finales up until the final few seconds.
    Yeah I kinda liked V even though it really sucked ;)
    Laura Vandervoort !! :X
  • LudsLuds MIA
    She's alright DC ;) But I'm not really into blondes. I'll still pick up the blurays for V, but there's nothing like the original series in the 80s.
    The afl footy show (australia)
    Very funny show yesterday with shane taking on antonio tarver for a spa.
    @timmer It started well in the first few shows, nice story, nice young characters, then went south as soon as the here's girlfriend was rescued. The two month hiatus did it some good as it came back strong with another 4 shows or so at midpoint, only to drop down into mediocrity once more. The story is going nowhere and everywhere at the same time. It seems like it still has potential, yet the writers chose to taunt viewers with some possible scenarios only to have them not happen as a swerve. Rather than take the obvious turn: have Cole get involved with the hero is a fine example, they decide just to give us a tiny piece and just make a u-turn in the last moment. This is the exact area where Lost failed miserably as well. I'm actually quite happy the show is cancelled as it was a complete disappointment imo, had plenty of potential. Yet had it been kept, I wonder if I wouldn't have given it a second chance as well. Very much like Lost, and Heroes, and V, the full potential was never quite achieved for me and overstayed its welcome by a few seasons (or at least it feels like this is season 5!)
    Well said. The show is a mess. Like I said, it was an enjoyable Monday night time waster. What's rather startling is how the temper of some of the characters was completely revamped overnight. The alien Sophia goes from a nice, lets all get along alien, to a cold hearted genocidal destroyer of the human race in a couple of episodes.
    The Obama President character goes from a balanced, lets find a solution President to Dick Cheney on steroids.
    It seems mid-season, the producers decided to amp up the stakes and turn it into a clear cut us-versus-them yarn. Draw the lines in the sand etc
    So the Jason Ritter, Sean Walker character goes from mild mannered regular guy software engineer, to ace intelligence-op and fighting machine, seemingly overnight.
    Taylor Cole's, cold calculating assassin bitch, Vicky, morphs into a good girl with a conscience at almost the snap of a finger and then falls for our hero.
    Whats also very apparent is how they seem to kill off a featured character every week as if they can't figure out what characters to build the show around.
    Still the show amuses me. I have a soft spot for the genre. Even fare this bad.
    One more ep to go. Wonder if they'll wind it up or just leave it twisting in the wind :/

==Damn, and V is dead in the water too. I know it sucked but so what, I quite enjoyed.It was way better than the Event. This thread is killing me. All I got left is Nikita and Fringe for next year.
    V ended with a bang. It was well set up for another season. %-(
    Event and V will probably get replaced with another Law And Order. Special Traffic Violations Divison maybe or CSI Seattle Arrrgh or worse another medical show. Can't have too many of those.
  • LudsLuds MIA

Event and V will probably get replaced with another Law And Order. Special Traffic Violations Divison maybe or CSI Seattle Arrrgh or worse another medical show. Can't have too many of those.
    :-)) Possibly. This is sign that networks have no clue what the public wants. It's been while too. They cancel shows too early and then keep mediocre shows too long. Have some frikkin imagination! I'mm sure there's tons of decent ideas they could develop over CSI 4 and some new reality garbage.

As for V I agree, I loved the show even though it sucked, and well will be happy to add it to the collection. Never was a good as the original but still very much enjoyable.
    If I was a teenage girl, I'd go nuts and start a petition and a facebook campaign and everything else to get V renewed but I' m not a teenage girl so I couldn't be bothered.
    We need the teenage girls to step up here.
    Fae would go bananas if True Blood was ever cancelled.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    21 episodes of The Event in three days. Yep, seven per day and I'm glad that's over with. I'll watch the last one next week list of the rest of you and share my thoughts.

I can't believe nearly every storyline from the series has been ripped-off from somewhere else - and done so much better elsewhere as well. I wondered how long it'd take the kill the President. >:p