What is your favourite/least favourite Pre-Title-Sequence?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @TheWizardOfIce, like I said, it's just one of those things. It shouldn't be a big deal, I was just putting them just in case someone got upset over it. Nevermind.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    How did this spoiler paranoia all come about? Wasnt it someone objecting to someone discussing GE and casually dropping the bombshell that Alec was the villain or something?
    Having all kinds of technical difficulties, getting damn irritated too, but the Spolier thing had nothing to do with Bond movies, they were introduced some point back by the Administrators as an added feature, it was a good move in retrospect

Sometimes we can talk about our favorite movies and not be aware that others may not have watched, and we have inadvertently given away important plot information, so it was brought in as just such a contigency measure against such instances, so people can choose to read further if they have not viewed etc
    Having all kinds of technical difficulties, getting damn irritated too, but the Spolier thing had nothing to do with Bond movies, they were introduced some point back by the Administrators as an added feature, it was a good move in retrospect

Sometimes we can talk about our favorite movies and not be aware that others may not have watched, and we have inadvertently given away important plot information, so it was brought in as just such a contigency measure against such instances, so people can choose to read further if they have not viewed etc

Exactly. A film that I and a few others might have seen 100 times and find it to be excellent could be one that a user or two over there has yet to see - even if that film appears to be one that everyone should see at some point in their life.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Yeah the spoiler option has always been there but I think this current trend for putting it for every little thing happened a few months ago when someone kicked off because someone mentioned something from a Bond film they hadnt seen. In a thread about Bond films. On a Bond website. Mental.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 12,837
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I must be a rare case, because I really didn't have a hard time understanding the PTS of QoS.

It definitely got easier the second and continued viewings. Most people didn't give it that chance.

Plus, I re-edited it.. twice (because I lost the first one :/ ) so I know it in and out ;)

I gave it a chance, and I did enjoy it a bit more, but the editing is just a mess. I think I watched your re-edited version on another thread @JWESTBROOK, I think it was better than the actual film version.
    I actually really love the PTS of LTK. Kamen's music isn't great, but certainly serviceable. I love that Leiter tries to keep Bond on the sidelines, but that when things go down, it's Bond who takes charge. The look that the two DEA agents give each other when Bond starts to lower the hook, like "what the hell is he up to?" before he shows them how to get things done. The way he hooks the plane (and the fact that it's obviously Dalton doing his own stunts). And the corny but joyous ending where they parachute into the wedding. Even that little visual joke at the very end where the parachutes are mimicking the bride's train. Good acting all around, and one of my very favorites.
    It's the Hedison Leiter that spoils things for me, as with Live and Let Die, I just find him plain annoying sometimes. Not my favorite Leiter. LTK is not bad early on, apart from that, but it's just a part of a release I don't hold in very high regard, but Dalton despite all that, does another excellent job. I don't believe I saw the whipping scene of Lamora until the ultimate edition DVD, but Sanchez and his bunch of rogues actually are menacing and you genuinely feel for the guy who was caught with his pants off when Sanchez first makes his appearance. 'Give her his heart', I'm kind of indifferent to the whole thing, but not a favorite release of the series I'm afraid
  • tb-It's all about The Jetpack, baby.
  • TWINE. Perfect, classic Bond. TLD a close second.
    TWINE. Perfect, classic Bond. TLD a close second.

I love it, and loved it even more after playing TWINE on the N64 and actually fighting in that office as Bond.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    As the years have gone by I love The World Is Not Enough's pre titles more and more. It really is very well done with that fantastic boat chase. It's made to look even better sadly, as the rest of the film never lives up to that moment.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Although I love TWINE, I agree the PTS is by far the best part of the film.
    The PTS and the finale of TWINE are on complete opposite ends of the good and bad spectrum for me, respectively. I love Bond's takedown of the men after the flashbang goes off.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    My Favorite PTS is GoldenEye, once Serra's music kicks in when Bond pushes the conveyor belt button starts the greatest thrill of 1995. It's still iconic to me as it was when I was first saw it at 5 years old! :)

My least favorite is LALD. It's just kinda silly and no Bond. YOLT used to be my least favorite because it used to scare me to death when I was little. Bird 1 eating spaceships accompanied by Barry's spinechilling score really made me fear space. but It doesn't scare me anymore lol.
    a Pre Credits sequence without Bond isn't the end of the world, I don't know why some make a big thing of it. Bond himself wasn't in the PTS of From Russia with Love, but it was still a quite well done sequence for the time and the cat and mouse game in the gardens of (wherever it was), and the suspense does build up, even if it is a brief showing

Add to that, Live and Let Die, no Bond, but some half decent bits in New Orleans and San Monique, and then McCartney and Wings step in - worth the wait

Golden Gun also, no Bond himself, apart from that statue thing, but what a great little sequence, one of the best of the series for sure

Point being, PTS' don't necessarily need Bond himself in order to work or be successful
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited August 2012 Posts: 16,328
    a Pre Credits sequence without Bond isn't the end of the world, I don't know why some make a big thing of it. Bond himself wasn't in the PTS of From Russia with Love, but it was still a quite well done sequence for the time and the cat and mouse game in the gardens of (wherever it was), and the suspense does build up, even if it is a brief showing

Add to that, Live and Let Die, no Bond, but some half decent bits in New Orleans and San Monique, and then McCartney and Wings step in - worth the wait

Golden Gun also, no Bond himself, apart from that statue thing, but what a great little sequence, one of the best of the series for sure

Point being, PTS' don't necessarily need Bond himself in order to work or be successful

I never said it was. I was just expressing my opinion.

You do raise a relevant point; it is true that a PTS without Bond can still be effective and work well. Typically though, without Bond, there is a lack of big action to grab us right from the get-go, and thus we have to wait for something bigger and better. Apart from the slight mystery behind the killings in LALD, it doesn't do much to throw us into the adventure. With TMWTGG, at least there's a bit more action and intrigue with the gun duel between Rodney and Scaramanga. Even though I really enjoy FRWL, and it's a top-fiver, the PTS bores me.
    edited August 2012 Posts: 40,372
    I think a lacking of Bond in a PTS adds great mystery, as it is setting up a good part of the story and we know that Bond has no idea what is going on yet, but we do. It works well to drive the story, not so much the action.

I'm pretty sure that's what you were stating, @00Beast, I just wanted to put it into my own words to understand it better.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I think a lacking of Bond in a PTS adds great mystery, as it is setting up a good part of the story and we know that Bond has no idea what is going on yet, but we do. It works well to drive the story, not so much the action.

I'm pretty sure that's what you were stating, @00Beast, I just wanted to put it into my own words to understand it better.

No problem my friend!
    Speaking of our favorite PTS, @00Beast, I haven't watched GE in a very, very, VERY long time. This is insane. I think I'm going to set aside time tomorrow and have a midday go at it. I miss it, and I'm sure she (yes, it's that beautiful) misses me.
  • oo7oo7
    did anyone ever think living daylights had two pre credit openings. the one featuring a few oo agents getting killed and then the opera main story set up for the film?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    No Bond is often the way many Fleming novels are opened too, so for Bond 24, why not? Anything to keep things fresh and take more ideas from the man himself.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I'm not sure if I've answered before, but definitely the PTS of GE. Brosnan's entrance, along with he and Bean teaming up to absolutely demolish Russian goons with AK's is incredibly entertaining to watch.

So 007 slips past some guards, runs along a dam, bungee jumps down the dam, cuts his way into the toilets, knocks out a Russki and meets up with 006. How the hell did 006 get in?
    @Lancaster007, very good question. We know he didn't take the bungee jump entrance, because in an extended bit of the opening, Bond disables the gate to make his way onto the dam, and it would have already been open if Trevelyan made his way in. I'm curious, as well, now.
    oo7 wrote:
    did anyone ever think living daylights had two pre credit openings. the one featuring a few oo agents getting killed and then the opera main story set up for the film?

You know, now that I think about it, that's not a far cry from being truthful. I mean the actual scripted pre-title sequence sets up Smiert Spionam, and then the post title sequence sets up Kara Milovy and General Georgi Koskov. Especially given the way it ends, it does feel more like a pre-title sequence.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 12,837
    oo7 wrote:

That's sort of true, but the actual PTS with the double 0's being killed also set up the film, by introducing the smert spionman message and kicking off Kozov and Whittakers plan.
  • oo7oo7
    oo7 wrote:

That's sort of true, but the actual PTS with the double 0's being killed also set up the film, by introducing the smert spionman message and kicking off Kozov and Whittakers plan.

i wonder how it would have played should the diving sequence end with the first death and cut to bond at the opera as if he was not even there. later in the film m presenting him with the message. i always felt it was stupid m would give him that evidence when bond was the one who found the body and would no doubt have been on hand later.
  • oo7 wrote:
    oo7 wrote:

i wonder how it would have played should the diving sequence end with the first death and cut to bond at the opera as if he was not even there. later in the film m presenting him with the message. i always felt it was stupid m would give him that evidence when bond was the one who found the body and would no doubt have been on hand later.

Your idea probably makes more sense, but that would mean we wouldn't get the awesome scene with Bond leaping onto the land rover and fighting the assassin.

Plus, since it was a training exercise for 00's, I think Bond would've had to be there.
  • oo7oo7
    edited August 2012 Posts: 1,068
    oo7 wrote:
    oo7 wrote:

Your idea probably makes more sense, but that would mean we wouldn't get the awesome scene with Bond leaping onto the land rover and fighting the assassin.

Plus, since it was a training exercise for 00's, I think Bond would've had to be there.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IOkvBiR8fdA?version=3&hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IOkvBiR8fdA?version=3&hl=en_GB"; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Three stooges eye poke 2.04