Rate The Last Movie You Saw In Theaters

Comments

• edited November 2017 Posts: 236
  • Absolutely hated the new Spider-man film. Had the tone of a romance movie, and never strayed into the dark which contradicts Andrew Garfield's amazing performance, which DOES go to a dark place.

Also saw The Dark Knight Rises, I was disapointed because it didn't really feel like a Nolan Batman to me. It didn't have those genuinely moving character study moments, never really got me invested until Bane's sad story was explained. But then Anne Hathaway proved as a scapegoat and went for a humorous villain defeat like The Avengers.
    TDKR- 10/10
    TDKR- 10/10

TKDR 10/10 for me too!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'll third that. Excellent film, and the only thing I think that could beat it this year is SF, or possibly 'Django Unchained.' I was going to see it for a third time last night, and I went out with my friend and his sister, and they only had one ticket left, and this was one hour and fifteen minutes before the showing started. Insane. I think I may see it tomorrow, if we can get advanced tickets.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I'll third that. Excellent film, and the only thing I think that could beat it this year is SF, or possibly 'Django Unchained.' I was going to see it for a third time last night, and I went out with my friend and his sister, and they only had one ticket left, and this was one hour and fifteen minutes before the showing started. Insane. I think I may see it tomorrow, if we can get advanced tickets.

Just saw it tonight. It's sooooo good. Just proves me right that the critics were full of it.
    @JWESTBROOK, critic reviews are laughable, at best. I don't care for any of them. Ebert gave it three out of four stars, which is a 75% C in my book, yet he gave the atrocious failure that was 'The Watch' only one star less.
    THE DARK KNIGHT RISES - 9/10
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @JWESTBROOK, critic reviews are laughable, at best. I don't care for any of them. Ebert gave it three out of four stars, which is a 75% C in my book, yet he gave the atrocious failure that was 'The Watch' only one star less.

Roger Ebert also gave The Raid (one of the best films of the year imo that most critics loved), one star. And he gave Speed 2 three stars. The guy seems insane some times, although to be fair he did give the other 2 Nolan Batman films 4/4.

TDKR is now my favourite Batman film.
    @thelivingroyale, I've never cared for Ebert's reviews. Sometimes when I'm skimming through the reviews to see what ratings he gave, he will start the review out with the ending to the film. Why? He did that with 'The Watch,' I noticed. Then again, I don't care for any critic's reviews, they're just entertaining to read, at times. I don't let them affect me seeing films, it's just that I rarely agree with Ebert. I'd give 'The Watch' .5 out of 4 stars instead of the two out of four he gave it.
    @Creasy47 Is it that bad? That's a shame, because I liked the look of The Watch. It has some of my favourite comedy actors (Ben Stiller, Richard Ayoade, Jonah Hill). I was really pleased to see Ayoade getting work in big films as he's mostly just done UK TV.
    I would say the funniest parts in the film are Richard Ayoade - sadly, I haven't seen any of his other work - and Jonah Hill, who was slightly different from his usual characters. Ben Stiller was the same, the generic uptight guy who the comedy is bounced off of, and Vaughn seemed different in the beginning, but he ended up playing the same character you see in all of his other films.

I just didn't get many laughs out of it. If Ayoade wasn't talking, then it wasn't hilarious to me. He made the funny scenes happen, and I'm upset I haven't seen him in anything else before.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 3,160
    TDNR 8/10 (BB 8/10; TDN 10/10)

Fine conclusion to the trilogy. For me - not as "epic" as other have reviewed. Too many "say what?!?"- elements and things I found weird/lacking, like the police acting like The Keystone cops
    all going down the tunnel
    lack of one of the lead good guys going down, Bane sounding like Sean Connery speaking through a subwoofer, BW getting fooled by Selina
    three times
    and BW spending eight years mourning the loss of Rachel and then all of sudden - without any motive given -
    shacking up with Miranda.
    I loved the chase after the Wall Street break-in and the last half hour though. Wonderful stuff!
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I just didn't get many laughs out of it. If Ayoade wasn't talking, then it wasn't hilarious to me. He made the funny scenes happen, and I'm upset I haven't seen him in anything else before.

He's done a few UK TV shows but is probably most famous for a show called The IT crowd. I think he's mates with Ben Stiller and that's why he was in this. I hope this launches a good film career for him because he deserves it.
    Ahh, okay, I've heard of that show. I believe it's on Netflix Play Now, it's why the title seems so familiar to me.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    THE DARK KNIGHT RISES

8 / 10

in comparison.. Batman Begins - 8.5 / 10 ... The Dark Knight - 9 / 10

I thought this 3rd Nolan Batman movie was good, but I just don't think it was as good as 'Begins or TDK imo... i thought it's story was a little scattered, and included too many unnecessary characters..

while still a very good movie, i felt like it was Nolan's weakest.
    HASEROT wrote:
    THE DARK KNIGHT RISES

8 / 10

in comparison.. Batman Begins - 8.5 / 10 ... The Dark Knight - 9 / 10

I thought this 3rd Nolan Batman movie was good, but I just don't think it was as good as 'Begins or TDK imo... i thought it's story was a little scattered, and included too many unnecessary characters..

while still a very good movie, i felt like it was Nolan's weakest.

This is oddly exactly the marks and review that I would have given the three Batman films - I enjoyed The Dark Knight Rises - but it was certainly the weakest of the series.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 12,837
    I'd say it's

TDKR- 10/10
    TDK/BB (tie)- 8.5/10

TDKR was just much more exciting than the other two for me, and it had a bit more humour to it as well as plenty of darkness and seriousness. I also preferred the story to the other two. TDK had the best villian though, and BB had the best action scenes.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 2,341
    THE DARK KNIGHT RISES 5 stars out of 5 I thought the second entry, The Dark Knight was weaker and lacked the balls that Batman Begins had but this latest and final film in Nolan's trilogy is VERY GOOD.
    @thelivingroyale you are spot on.
    The Dark Knight Rises - 8.5/10

It felt more like an action movie than a superhero movie, which was cool. My only complaint was that they had to up the ante from the last movie to make it seem like more of a climax. If Bane's plans had happened, there would definitely have been more damage than the Joker's. I feel like they depended on that too much.
    The Dark Knight Rises - 8.5/10

It felt more like an action movie than a superhero movie, which was cool. My only complaint was that they had to up the ante from the last movie to make it seem like more of a climax. If Bane's plans had happened, there would definitely have been more damage than the Joker's. I feel like they depended on that too much.

The way they referenced BATMAN BEGINS and the way that Wayne had to do the classic "hero's journey" and find his way back. The twist which showed who was really behind all the shytt and seeing our old pal, Scarecrow was a cute touch.
    It is probably the most violent of the Batman Trilogy but still enjoyable. I did enjoy The Dark Knight but just liked the first and third films better.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 1,310
    I, too, saw THE DARK KNIGHT RISES. A very good film with a lot to like - Christian Bale as reliable as ever, Anne Hathaway surprisingly convincing, a solid story with a interesting villain in Bane. And also, I can honestly say that
    Marion Cotillard's character turning evil at the end completely took me be surprise.

That all being said, I prefer The Dark Knight (and still think TDK is the best Nolan Batman film). TDKR, for some reason, didn't have that 'magical factor' I felt while watching TDK...I can't really explain it. Still, all of the Nolan Batman films were great.

1. The Dark Knight - 10/10
    2. The Dark Knight Rises - 8/10
    3. Batman Begins - 8/10

Edit: I also saw The Amazing Spider-Man and was throughly disappointed. The first two Tobey Maguire films weren't perfect either, but far above this most recent effort.
    'Total Recall'

It's been getting some terrible/mediocre reviews, but somehow, I loved it? I don't know if it was a mixture of being slightly tired and having myself a Mojito, but I had a fantastic time with the movie. I plan on impulse purchasing it come blu-ray release, so I hope it really was as good as I recall when I shell out the money for a home video version of it.

But, the reviews seem to be a comparison of this one to the Schwarzenegger original, which I haven't seen in a very, very long time, so that could be why it's not as praised.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 469
    Ted - trailor excellent and could not wait to see it -film, gutted, did not laugh as much as i thought i would. Refrences to Octopussy and flash gordon were good, but was it worth the £2.50 cinema entrance - well debatable 5/10
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Ted. it's good and pretty funny, but not as good as Family Guy or American Dad.

8/10
    TDKR 6/10
    This movie lacked most that made TDK a good movie. And the ending was really a waste of celluloid.

Looking forward to the Bourne legacy
    The Dictator. 6/10. Very funny in some parts, really poor in others.
    Dark knight rises gets a 7 out of 10 i suspect it will be higher once i have watched it again.
  • The Dark Knight Rises

I had no idea how Nolan would top the Batman film this one was following but he did. The first fight between Batman and Bane along with the climax to the bomb exploding were the high points along with Robin being made competent. This one deserves the 10 out of 10 pints of Ruddles I'm giving it.
    The Dark Knight Rises

I had no idea how Nolan would top the Batman film this one was following but he did. The first fight between Batman and Bane along with the climax to the bomb exploding were the high points along with Robin being made competent. This one deserves the 10 out of 10 pints of Ruddles I'm giving it.

You may want to put a spoiler tag on that.

Sweet name, by the way. 'Total Recall,' correct? See the new one?