Star Wars (1977 - present)

Comments

• 007InAction007InAction Australia
    The best thing about Mandalorian is the cgi.
    Maybe Star Wars is just a 3 hit wonder (the first 3 films) ?
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    The best thing about Mandalorian is the cgi.
    Maybe Star Wars is just a 3 hit wonder (the first 3 films) ?

If 1983 was the last time you enjoyed any Star Wars then it’s probably hopeless.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Mandalorian S3 Ep2 Half of this episode was a complete waste of time, half was OK, I can see what they are aiming for here though it was not executed well. A cardinal sin in story telling is literally seeing the same thing happen twice, the writers need to be a little more creative as this was just plain lazy.

I could have sworn they just showed some of the footage twice in this episode. :))
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Mandalorian S3 Ep2 Half of this episode was a complete waste of time, half was OK, I can see what they are aiming for here though it was not executed well. A cardinal sin in story telling is literally seeing the same thing happen twice, the writers need to be a little more creative as this was just plain lazy.

I could have sworn they just showed some of the footage twice in this episode. :))

I know it was ridiculous it felt very phoned in, also they literally undermined everything in the first episode of the season. The search for a droid was not only a waste of time though not even required, I don't think the writers have a writers room lol

I know it was ridiculous it felt very phoned in, also they literally undermined everything in the first episode of the season. The search for a droid was not only a waste of time though not even required, I don't think the writers have a writers room lol

I think the search for IG-11 was just to get Din back to Navarro and see Greef ultimately, just as Din picked up R5D4 so we could get back to Tattooine and see Peli (and also, to use a character from the original trilogy is irresistible to these writers... and they missed a great joke by having someone say that R5D4, in his reluctance to go on the trip, was "not very motivated").
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    IMO the first two seasons of The Mandalorian were carefully thought out & well crafted. And it came to a momentous conclusion with Grogu going to live with Luke and other students/wielders of the Force (there were tears, really).
    THEN, the Where TF do we go NOW? kicked in at Disney.
    Book Of Boba Fett (aka Mandalorian 2.5) was a mess. A fun mess, but a mess nonetheless. The whole episode with Luke making Grogu choose to go back to Mando was complete emergency narrative reconstruction nonsense. They wrote themselves into a corner that they wrote themselves out of.

Obi-Wan was very entertaining. Very.
    Andor was truly GREAT.

But so far, this new season of Mandalorian just indicates to me that they are setting up for a big new interconnected story that, I'm sorry to say, I just won't have any interest in. Especially if all it does is lead into the miserable recent movie trilogy.
    Yeah, it would be neat to see Thrawn in this season which could be possible if they’re trying to set up the Ahsoka show, but otherwise, don’t feel too invested in this season of Mando.
    Yeah, it would be neat to see Thrawn in this season which could be possible if they’re trying to set up the Ahsoka show, but otherwise, don’t feel too invested in this season of Mando.

If they are leading into Timothy Zahn's Thrawn trilogy of novels I'm in. But I just don't see Disney paying for the rights to that.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited March 2023 Posts: 23,104
    Season 3 Episode's 3 and 4 of Mando were an improvement though SW does feel creatively bankrupt at this point.
  • Yeah.. Haven't really been feeling this Season. Hoping the plot gains some traction next episode.
    It feels like when a season of a show isn't working, they turn it into a different, more sucessful show.

They turned Book of Boba Fett into The Mandalorian, and then it felt like they turned Mandalorian S3 into Andor for a moment there.

I just watched all of Andor yesterday because I was sick and resting, and it made the recent Pershing episode of Mando look like a school project.
    Andor I appreciate what they are doing there, I have still not seen the last 2 episodes which I need to do at some point. Aspects of the show reminds me of George Lucas's THX1138.

Mando season 3 feels like Star Wars Rebels though a more diluted version. its feeling a little hollow, it goes action set piece, baby Yoda doing cute reaction, bit of dialog then repeat.
    Mando S3 Ep5 best so far there was some really good action and the end is certainly intriguing.
  • edited March 2023 Posts: 7,500
    I initially tried to watch Book of Boba Fat and gave up. Later I have been told important events in the story about The Mandalorian and Grogu happen there, so now I am forcing myself through it :P

I really wish TBOBF could stand on it's own, but I understand why they feel the need to borrow from the success of another series...
    Isn’t it just two episodes? I didn’t watch it at all, just read a basic summary of what Mando was up to on that show and felt caught up after that.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I want to say it was three episodes but it has been a while.
    Whatever the case, I pretty much object to the idea of making Boba Fett alive after ROTJ. This is why I refused to watch the show. The trope of bringing back characters that were killed off is one Star Wars can’t stop soon enough. What makes it more annoying is fans actually ENCOURAGE that!
    Whatever the case, I pretty much object to the idea of making Boba Fett alive after ROTJ. This is why I refused to watch the show. The trope of bringing back characters that were killed off is one Star Wars can’t stop soon enough. What makes it more annoying is fans actually ENCOURAGE that!

You didn't really miss anything anyway. Boba Fett was basically a side character in his on show. His "redemption arc" If you could call it that felt very hollow. The show did have a few neat ideas then it straight up turned into Mando season 2.5.
    It’s also dumb because Mando already serves as a Boba Fett type character getting his arc.

It would have been more interesting if Boba Fett was actually an antagonist for Din to fight. Maybe have Fett kidnap Grogu. That keeps him as the bad guy. No need for a redemptive arc. But no.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Murdock wrote: »

You didn't really miss anything anyway. Boba Fett was basically a side character in his on show. His "redemption arc" If you could call it that felt very hollow.

Also odd in a way as Carl Weathers (don't know the character name) is living the same redemptive arc. But he's cooler because he's Carl Weathers.
    mtm wrote: »

You didn't really miss anything anyway. Boba Fett was basically a side character in his on show. His "redemption arc" If you could call it that felt very hollow.

Also odd in a way as Carl Weathers (don't know the character name) is living the same redemptive arc. But he's cooler because he's Carl Weathers.

Greef Karga is his character's name and now that you mention it, you're right. It's funny too because he turned a rock town into a beautiful thriving village. Boba Fett? Well a sand pit is still a sand pit. :))
    Carl Weather rocks that cape as well as Billy Dee.
    I've just about written off The Mandalorian. It's the milking effect.
    Season one & two were pure magic. An addendum to Return Of The Jedi, as it were.
    Book Of Boba Fett showed us the milk-stained road they were headed down.
    Thus far, season 3 of Mando is uneven fan fiction IMO.
    Andor was amazing. Do we need a season 2? Can it be as good?
    Obiwan was enjoyable, btw.
    To ME, Star Wars ends with the destruction of the Empire in Return Of The Jedi.
    The new movie trilogy killed it going forward for me.
    Disney gave me some really cool SW stuff with early Mando & Andor.
    But stick a lightsabre in me- I'm done.
    edited April 2023 Posts: 7,518
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I've just about written off The Mandalorian. It's the milking effect.
    Season one & two were pure magic. An addendum to Return Of The Jedi, as it were.
    Book Of Boba Fett showed us the milk-stained road they were headed down.
    Thus far, season 3 of Mando is uneven fan fiction IMO.
    Andor was amazing. Do we need a season 2? Can it be as good?
    Obiwan was enjoyable, btw.
    To ME, Star Wars ends with the destruction of the Empire in Return Of The Jedi.
    The new movie trilogy killed it going forward for me.
    Disney gave me some really cool SW stuff with early Mando & Andor.
    But stick a lightsabre in me- I'm done.

Basically agree 100%. Hope there's no S2 of Andor; the end of the series made me want to go straight into Rogue One... which makes me want to go straight into A New Hope. What more can you say about it? IMO.
    Obi Wan, for it's unevenness, ends off with some essential Star Wars (IMO again). Reversing the reveals would have helped this show immensely (we should have known from early on that Reva was a double agent, it would have made her decision-making throughout more interesting for the audience; and Kenobi should only have found out about Anakin being alive towards the end, his lack of urgency about it as-is doesn't make a lot of sense).

Just feel like Star Wars has nothing left in the tank with which to draw me in. Maybe Thrawn in the Ahsoka series, but I never read those books or anything, so I don't *really* care.

Agree that ROTJ is a completely fitting end to the story of Star Wars. They could have done something interesting post-ROTJ (and maybe Mando 1&2 is it), but they didn't. Maybe Mando Season 2 can be the true end of Star Wars - Luke finds Grogu and begins to rebuild the Jedi Order.

The Grand Star Wars Viewing Order:

The Empire Saga
    Andor
    Rogue One
    A New Hope
    Empire Strikes Back
    The Anakin Saga
    Phantom Menace
    Attack of the Clones
    Revenge of the Sith
    Return of the Jedi
    Epilogue
    Mandalorian S1
    Mandalorian S2
  • edited April 2023 Posts: 7,500
    I don't think it's that bleak. The last trilogy was a disaster, but there is still a lot of potential for good stories and many talented people involved with SW. Not everything will be good obviously, but I think a lot of enjoyable content is still to come.
    edited April 2023 Posts: 16,328
    I've really been enjoying The Mandalorian Season 3 thus far. The only problem I have with it and the show in general is some conflicts wrap up too quickly. I suppose that's the problem with an 8 episode season but I still think it's a good show.

I liked Obi Wan as well. I think that should have stayed a movie but it was fine. I've yet to see Andor but I'll be checking it out soon.
    I watched Andor very late as well, but it is very good.
    I liked Obi Wan as well. I think that should have stayed a movie but it was fine. I've yet to see Andor but I'll be checking it out soon.
    See, I really loved Andor. Best thing was, it had a story to tell & it told it. Done. No season 2 needed. Like Mando, season two's finale was perfect. I was looking forward to his continuing story post Grogu, but then they realized Grogu brought in the kids & sold the toys. So they concocted that CGI Skywalker mess to reunite Grogu with Din. And THEN, someone got the bright idea to make Mando more like Andor, since that show was so well received. So Grogu is back, but they're not using him- instead it's gonna be all about how The New Order comes to power (oh boy! And that leads to a trilogy I absolutely HATE!). I count myself blessed to have gotten Mando 1 & 2, and Andor. And yeah, Obi-Wan was entertaining, mostly. Yesterday I watched the most recent ep of Mando, and I found myself checking messages during it, and that's NOT a good sign...
    Andor is technically very well made but has the handicap of having a completely uncharismatic leading man.
  • Andor is currently filming Season 2, and that’s the end of the show after that . It was always going to be just two seasons , so they have the end written (leads up to Rogue One).