Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    There's a lot of interesting shots on Christopher McQuarrie's Instagram.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    I intermittently watched the TV show when I was a kid, but it was never a favorite, and it never really stuck with me. I thought it was okay. When the first Mission Impossible film came out, I didn’t see it in the theater, but I saw it on video somewhere at some point. And I remember being bored. I saw the second one in a theater and walked out about 2/3 into it, again because I was bored out of my skull. So, I’ve had a bad feeling and view of the series ever since. I think I tried a couple others along the way. I got about 10 minutes, thought they were silly and quit. Well, this weekend, leading into this week, I decided to watch them all . I have to say once you get into the fourth film or so it’s quite a good time. A Hell of a lot more fun than the Bond films have been over the past decade. And that Solomon Lane, that’s a Blofeld.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I intermittently watched the TV show when I was a kid, but it was never a favorite, and it never really stuck with me. I thought it was okay. When the first Mission Impossible film came out, I didn’t see it in the theater, but I saw it on video somewhere at some point. And I remember being bored. I saw the second one in a theater and walked out about 2/3 into it, again because I was bored out of my skull. So, I’ve had a bad feeling and view of the series ever since. I think I tried a couple others along the way. I got about 10 minutes, thought they were silly and quit. Well, this weekend, leading into this week, I decided to watch them all . I have to say once you get into the fourth film or so it’s quite a good time. A Hell of a lot more fun than the Bond films have been over the past decade. And that Solomon Lane, that’s a Blofeld.

Ghost Protocol is when the series really took off for most, it seems, and has been killing it ever since. I'm glad you gave them another shot and enjoyed yourself.

And yes, Solomon Lane is criminally underrated as a villain.
  • entertaining films but no character depth unlike Craig era Bond.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    entertaining films but no character depth unlike Craig era Bond.

This is just not true.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I find Solomon Lane kind of annoying, and I’m kind of peeved that they brought him back with FALLOUT essentially making him a recurring villain.

In terms of villains, I think I only really liked Philip Seymour Hoffman, which is ironic since he’s featured in the M:I film I rank dead last. Most others have been pretty forgettable as villains. Dougray Scott stands out just because he chews up the scenery in a way that makes his scenes entertaining.

kO7rEdq.gif
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Scott's probably my favorite, essentially playing Ethan if he was obsessed with only one woman and chose the other side of the law. I have a lot of love for M:I2 but accept most fans hate it or rank it at the bottom.
    M:I-2 is way overhated IMO. Which I get. In 2000, it felt like such a departure from the first in every respect that it might as well be set in a different universe, and now with everything that followed, it feels even more out of line.

3 is a weird one because it’s the beginning of the Bad Robot era, but not everything was figured out quite yet. It felt like Abrams was trying to do a stylized cross between ALIAS and BOURNE with all the shakycam.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I don't believe that Cruise had made a bad MI film. Though MI2 is my least favourite, it still has it's moments.

• SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    edited March 2023 Posts: 1,282
    M:I-2 is a guilty pleasure of mine in the series. It simply goes out to entertain. John Woo takes his stylish filmmaking into an even more stylish realm. Tom Cruise becomes a bonafide movie star and action star after the film. Dougray Scott's Ambrose and his goons are entertaining. Anthony Hopkins is subtle, yet effective. Thandiwe Newton is beautiful and is almost like a Vesper Lynd. Zimmer's score for the film, is 2nd and sometimes 1st on my list of his best scores, because the score for M:I-2 and Inception are that good that I struggle to put one atop the other permanently.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    M:I-2 is a guilty pleasure of mine in the series. It simply goes out to entertain. John Woo takes his stylish filmmaking into an even more stylish realm. Tom Cruise becomes a bonafide movie star and action star after the film. Dougray Scott's Ambrose and his goons are entertaining. Anthony Hopkins is subtle, yet effective. Thandiwe Newton is beautiful and is almost like a Vesper Lynd. Zimmer's score for the film, is 2nd and sometimes 1st on my list of his best scores, because the score for M:I-2 and Inception are that good that I struggle to put one atop the other permanently.

I remember around the time CR was casting its characters, Newton was actually considered for the role of Vesper.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    doubleoego wrote: »

I remember around the time CR was casting its characters, Newton was actually considered for the role of Vesper.

Yes. I think I also read that she deeply impressed the producers and Craig. But I can't remember what happened afterwards.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I don't believe that Cruise had made a bad MI film. Though MI2 is my least favourite, it still has it's moments.

There are a lot of distinctive Woo-isms in there that make it a very good (if diluted) John Woo film, even if it's a very poor M:I film.
    edited March 2023 Posts: 7,999
    That’s something I miss about the early films, they were essentially M:I films but each done by the director’s own style/predilections. 1 is undoubtedly De Palma, 2 is very John Woo, 3 is very JJ Abrams (for all the good and bad). GP was sort of an anomaly because that was Brad Bird’s first live action, but he seemed to pull from his predecessors and make the best he could, and I feel McQuarrie essentially did just about the same with his efforts.
    I still love the first one. Jean Reno elevates everything he is in. Right now my thinking is:

1. Ghost Protocol
    2. Fallout
    3. Mission: Impossible
    4. Rogue Nation
    5. Mission Impossible 3
    6. Mission Impossible 2

Bottom 2 in order as they are feel pretty set in stone. 1 and 2 are interchangeable.
    1. GHOST PROTOCOL
    2. 1
    3. ROGUE NATION
    4. 2
    4. FALLOUT
    5. 3
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited March 2023 Posts: 7,965
    1. III
    2. ghost protocol
    3. rogue nation
    4. fallout
    5. I
    6. II
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    1. Fallout
    2. Rogue Nation
    3. M:I
    4. Ghost Protocol
    5. II
    6. III
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    Watching them all in a row over three days they kind of blend together. I see it more as two phases.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

She would have been great; missed opportunity.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Each film has improved upon the last for me. I'm excited to see how they top Fallout
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Fallout would have been top 2 if they had continued an almost impossible and elaborate break in/heist.

The first one had the CIA room. 2 had breaking into the lab, 3 had the Vatican, GP had Burj Kalifa and RN had the underwater computer terminal.

Granted it had the crazy helicopter and fight scene at the end and it is to think that breaking Lane out of custody was that main focal point of the halfway point. It was just missing that impossible stunt and time crunch scene that every other film had. As far as rankings go, it's much easier than Bond for me to rank.

Rogue Nation
    Ghost Protocol
    MI-1
    Fallout
    MI-3
    MI-2
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2023 Posts: 14,861
    Every film has Ethan having to heist something incredibly dangerous out of somewhere which shouldn't be in the open, but which he needs in order to fulfil his main objective, usually to catch the baddie - Fallout is the only time that he has to heist a person out rather than a thing. All of the films have a baddie who is an intelligence/government agent turned bad.
    mtm wrote: »

She would have been great; missed opportunity.

Thandie Newton would've been a good addition to the Bond series.
    However as Vesper, I feel that Eva Green gave us something that would be hard to surpass.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited March 2023 Posts: 1,419
    I once saw all the Mission: Impossible movies up to 5 at the Museum of the Moving Image in Queens, NY and the movie that got the biggest crowd reaction was 2, in a good way.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    LucknFate wrote: »
    I once saw all the Mission: Impossible movies up to 5 at the Museum of the Moving Image in Queens, NY and the movie that got the biggest crowd reaction was 2, in a good way.

Very hard to believe, perhaps you like it so much that you're just being nostalgic.
    Two is the worst .
    In order of preference
    Ghost
    Rogue
    Fallout
    talos7 wrote: »

Very hard to believe, perhaps you like it so much that you're just being nostalgic.

It was a marathon in the cinema. Not many people stuck around after the first movie, I was one of maybe a dozen left by the last film. Thank you for attempting to make a liar out of me, but my memory is pretty solid. Strangely rude!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2023 Posts: 14,861

It's a fun film; good brain-off post-pub watching. It's so kind of silly fun that I can imagine a crowd would react to it well. It's far from my favourite MI but is of its time and sits well alongside other overblown 90s action films like Broken Arrow, Con Air and Face Off and all of those.
    I know it came out in 2000 before anyone tries to correct, but it's a 90s action film in spirit.
    mtm wrote: »

It's a fun film, good brain-off post-pub watching. It's so kind of silly fun that I can imagine a crowd would react to it well. It's far from my favourite but sits well alongside other overblown 90s action films like Broken Arrow, Con Air and Face Off and all of those.

They were definitely cheering in a self-aware, this is campy, sort of manner. When the doves fly etc. got big reactions. The John Woo-isms were a hit, but the audience also knew what it was in for. It was certainly a celebration. I'd imagine a fan-showing of DAD would have a similar result. People would "lean into it."