Project 007 - IO Interactive - The New James Bond Video Game

Comments

• GTA V online offers a lot of variety and different gameplay elements with good mechanics in one game.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I personally find GTA Online to be poorly designed with elements that don't complement each other well, but there is certainly no arguing that is a behemoth popularity wise.
    For me again tease and bring things to light

Case in point IO interactive at this point has their bond model for the game

Release it

Again have some fun showing of character designs for their M their Bond their Q even maybe won’t make a huge difference in the gaming world but for us bond fans it will make all the difference
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm sure IO will have a wonderfully enticing bit of information and/or footage to share when they're ready. It's been a long time coming, a new Bond game, so it'll be more than worth the wait.
  • SilvermothSilvermoth Australia
    I’m so excited for this! Hopefully it’s not as precise as the Hitman games because I do love the action style of previous Bond games and I don’t want to spend the whole time creeping haha
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Has anyone played Hitman:Freelancer? Reportedly, one of the additions is a safehouse area you return to between missions, which sounds a bit like my old idea of having the MI6 HQ as a between missions hub in P007. Also, as someone pretty wedded to the old concept of a main game you buy once and then play as is, with the only changes being substantial expansions, if a game is really well received, I am in awe of the amount of work IOI is putting into this. To take a two year old game, shove the entirety of the two previous games in there and then put a completely new game mode on top is pretty wild to me.
    Has anyone played Hitman:Freelancer? Reportedly, one of the additions is a safehouse area you return to between missions, which sounds a bit like my old idea of having the MI6 HQ as a between missions hub in P007. Also, as someone pretty wedded to the old concept of a main game you buy once and then play as is, with the only changes being substantial expansions, if a game is really well received, I am in awe of the amount of work IOI is putting into this. To take a two year old game, shove the entirety of the two previous games in there and then put a completely new game mode on top is pretty wild to me.

It sounds exciting but definitely the sort of thing I would've preferred at launch. Having unlocked virtually everything throughout the trilogy and having played nearly all the maps dozens of times by now, it doesn't really appeal to me. I love the effort though.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @ImpertinentGoon, I wouldn't be surprised if Freelancer is IOI's way of not just creating a mode suitable for the Hitman series, but also how they're testing ideas for how their Bond game could be styled. The Freelancer mode is interesting because of how RNG dominant it is, where each mission is never the same and you face new targets and have new assortments of objectives to complete each and every time you head out of your base. That would be a cool mode to have in a Bond game, where you are tasked with completing an objective within certain parameters, with a system in place that could randomly make your mission go from easy as can be to downright brutal. And it has the features we've always wanted in a Bond game, where you know what your mission is ahead of time and you are given the ability to customize your look and gear/kit to tackle the challenge/target/objective the way you wish. I hope a lot of these ideas translate over into the 007 game, as they would be a perfect addition to a Bond adventure.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    Creasy47 wrote: »

It sounds exciting but definitely the sort of thing I would've preferred at launch. Having unlocked virtually everything throughout the trilogy and having played nearly all the maps dozens of times by now, it doesn't really appeal to me. I love the effort though.

Freelancer works independently of the main game so all the suits, weapons, and so forth that you've unlocked don't apply. You start with a limited selection of items, almost no weapons, and the targets are completely randomized. It's actually quite hard, but I've been having a lot of fun with it. It really puts your map knowledge to the test! Until, of course, you realize that desirable items are no longer in their usual spots. You take out a succession of targets and work your way up to the ring leader. It's more of a rogue-like gameplay.

I think combining the layout of Freelancer with the gameplay of the main game would be a winning format for Bond.
    At the very least it sustains the hope - that I think many of us had from the announcement onwards - that there will be a substantial life to this game after the initial playing experience. I don't think I want "base-game" P007 to be what you describe, but to be able to go back into missions in such a way would be cool. Replayability of missions and maps has been a central piece of the Hitman formula for a long, long time, so I'm looking forward to some of that in P007, even if I may prefer a slightly more guided, cinematic experience for the main single player campaign.

Well, come to think of it. If the choice would be between the "classic Hitman" style of memorizing the entire map with every loop and every item's location, or a more randomized, you have to think on your feet and get what you can style, which Freelencer seems to be, I think I prefer the second for a Bond game. After all, Bond's mission preperation often boils down to "I'll bring my gun and then we'll see what happens."
    I had a dream about this game it was called Scenes of Violence and the game was cool you got your double O in the first level and then you went through the world with levels in Rome Paris New York City

It was really cool I then woke up to realize that it’s not true and also in the dream ATJ was 007
    @ImpertinentGoon, I agree. Bond is definitely far different from 47, as he is far more impulsive and naturally improvisational, whereas 47 is very prepared and has no problems improvising, but wouldn't want to make a habit of doing it. It's the old hammer vs. scalpel argument, where Bond feels more likely to go in or out loud, whereas 47 wants to be a ghost, leaving a mysterious air about how a target died.
    Bit of a sidenote, but IOI has just announced their next game after P007 to be a fantasy RPG currently running under the working title Project Fantasy.
    I have no idea how game development works and I guess people can switch pretty easily between genres, but still I guess this may mean a lot of the people recently working on Hitman can now focus on the probably more closely connected P007, while the team tasked with creating "A world and a game built from the core" is being put together.
    A non-update update that speaks on the future of Hitman post-007:

https://www.playstationtrophies.org/news/new-hitman-game-when-james-bond-007-release/
    @Creasy47, I was just happy to hear they are still rolling out roadmaps for Hitman, since I only just got back into it and wanted more shots at the various Elusive Targets. I hope they just end up putting the ETs on a regular, looping schedule so everyone who hasn't can get the special suits.
    @Creasy47, I was just happy to hear they are still rolling out roadmaps for Hitman, since I only just got back into it and wanted more shots at the various Elusive Targets. I hope they just end up putting the ETs on a regular, looping schedule so everyone who hasn't can get the special suits.

I'm surprised they've still yet to do that. I haven't played the series in a year or two now but might return eventually to see how it holds up.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Now they are turning their attention to Project 007, maybe now we will start to get an idea what is in store. Hopefully we will know more by the end of the year.
    @Creasy47, if anything worth sharing gets announced via IOI as far as Hitman WOA goes, I'll let you know. I'm frequently checking in to see what's new.
    @Creasy47, if anything worth sharing gets announced via IOI as far as Hitman WOA goes, I'll let you know. I'm frequently checking in to see what's new.

Appreciate it, my friend. I bet it'll be like returning to a brand new game whenever I check it out again.
    @Creasy47, I certainly have a long road ahead with it. Absolutely no progress in terms of the levels carried over, so to pick up everything in the inventory for Hitman 1 I'll have to completely re-master all those locations before I get to any of the new stuff, then do a full sweep of 2 and 3. And I'd do all of that before I even thought about trying Freelancer, which is supposed to be endgame anyway and requires a good knowledge of the original maps and certain spawns.

I am glad IOI seem intent on supporting the game past the Freelancer release, as that mode has things about it that could be tweaked to make it a far more polished experience that isn't quite so frustrating. A challenge is nice, but nothing should feel cheap or impossible, and at times the mode gets like that. Depending on where you randomly spawn on a map, you could instantly fail and lose a lot of your resources and progress, for instance. And if you try the Hardcore mode in Freelancer you have a priority objective you always have to complete that could be railroaded for you if the RNG screws you. I think people have gotten the task of cracking a safe on a map with no safe on it, but the game will let you choose that challenge even though you won't be able to complete it. It seems like a wonderful addition on the whole, but a few steps short of being truly exceptional. I just don't know if I care that much about the game to go full on into it. I'll have to see whenever I feel able to dive into it, and gauge how it feels.
    Yeah I felt like, even with carrying over progress, I had to replay and complete all challenges (or a lot, it seemed) for the trophies on each new release. It got pretty repetitive, especially the tricky Sniper Assassin ones that I wasn't particularly good at.

But yes, considering all this post-release work is free, I appreciate what they're doing. They could've milked it for more money but streamlining all three into one full package now while also still delivering new content, no matter how barebones or reskinned it is at times, is nice.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    @Creasy47, it was definitely good of them to make the process of purchasing the game/s easier. I had just picked up 2 and 3 through deals right before they made the WoA announcement, and had to do genuine research to make sure I wasn't buying something I didn't need to. They didn't make it very clear what kinds of content or exclusives were or weren't available in each different addition, so it was on you to look into it or get played. I think they realized this and fixed it to streamline the purchasing process for consumers, which I'm glad they did. I don't agree with all their decisions, but they seem to have good intentions at heart.

I did find this out on the HITMAN reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/HiTMAN/comments/11rra23/io_on_twitter_we_are_excited_to_announce_the/

Not sure if the Istanbul studio is getting partially or fully roped into the 007 development, but cool to see IOI branching out a bit and getting more people on board. More workers, more creativity.

And I was also put at ease by the quote taken from the recent statement about the future of Hitman games and the work being done on 007:

4tp2n0dcwyna1.jpg

I like that the Bond game is being referred to as another "agent fantasy." I think the team really understands how much fans have been wanting not just another Bond game, but one that really lets you feel like James Bond and walk in the shoes of a daring 00 agent. So I'm hoping they take what they've learned from doing the Freelancer content for Hitman and really make the Bond game special, with moments of immersion and role playing that let us feel like Bond, much in the way Rocksteady made us feel like Batman.
    It's reassuring, isn't it? They really open up that idea of "assassin fantasy" in the Hitman series so I'm incredibly eager to see what sort of Bondian fantasies they introduce for us diehard fans. It's going to be so much fun, made even more special considering who's developing it and just how long it's been since the last 007 game.
    @Creasy47, all of this truly is surreal, because so much of what we talked about wanting in a Bond game for a decade we have a good chance of getting, made by one of our main dream choices for developer. Definitely something to be excited for, and I don't look forward to much of anything these days, particularly in the gaming industry.

I have a lot of faith in IOI to nail that fantasy aspect, and do it their own way. It would be cool to have a return of the "Bond moments" from the older games, rare opportunities in a level to do something Bondian that are just there to make you live the fantasy that much more. With how good IOI are at developing games with multiple paths and ways to play, they are really quite suited to that kind of idea. I don't know how much of the game will be linear vs. open, but it would be cool to have at least some of the missions, if not all, capture that same feeling of wide open potential the Hitman games have had. That way you could play the same missions over and over again, but have a new experience when you wanted it just by changing your strategy or playstyle.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Mallory wrote: »

It's nice that EON are finally allowing game Bond to stand on his own. The books exist as their own entity (though Benson wrote with Brosnan in mind), why has it taken until now for the games?
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Agreed. Here's hoping they don't make Bond look like any specific actor.
    edited March 2023 Posts: 28,694
    I think Agent Under Fire did a pretty good job for its time. Definitely have faith we'll get a cool looking Bond, with a cinematic and literary mixture. Hopefully a facial scar too, cause why not. Been waiting for them to give an actor the scar, honestly.
    I have been surprised by many many things in gaming (many of them negative), so I don't want to make predictions anymore. Still, I think with the way IOI has done games in the (recent) past and what lingers about Bond games in the general consciousness, I think they are making re-playability a focus for this. I can't see this being a "play it once or twice to get the story" game. That's not what they do. Whether they go so far (or EON let's them go so far) as to allow players to totally clown around in the world the way it is possible in the Hitman games, we'll see. But I'm hopeful there will be a good mix of scripted events that feel Bondian and enough freedom to create your own Bondian moments.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Im curious to see how they handle the wider 007 legacy in his game.

For example I wouldnt expect anything to feature in the single player campaign (aside from stylistics such as the gunbarrell, music, titles etc).

But for the multiplayer, it would be great if they recreated a load of old sets and locations from the movies. Especially the newer Craig ones:

- Safin’s Lair
    - Cuba Nightclub and Streets
    - Matera
    - Blofeld’ Crater Base
    - Skyfall Lodge and Surroundings
    - Silva’s Island

Etc...