What Directors Should Helm A Bond Film?

Comments

• LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    talos7 wrote: »
    It may mean nothing, but I find the shared use of the word reinvention/reinventing interesting.

Nolan

"A Bond movie, definitely. I’ve spoken to the producers Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson over the years. I deeply love the character, and I’m always excited to see what they do with it. Maybe one day that would work out. You’d have to be needed, if you know what I mean. It has to need reinvention; it has to need you."

Broccoli

"There isn’t a script and we can’t come up with one until we decide how we’re going to approach the next film because, really, it’s a reinvention of Bond. We’re reinventing who he is and that takes time. I’d say that filming is at least two years away."

If they are actually setting up for Nolan right now, that will be a hell of a coup come this summer. It would be huge news.
    There are things I like about Nolan and there are things I don’t like about Nolan

I don’t know I just wonder this seems almost to obvious and doesn’t EON tend to do things more discreet
    Risico007 wrote: »
    There are things I like about Nolan and there are things I don’t like about Nolan

I don’t know I just wonder this seems almost to obvious and doesn’t EON tend to do things more discreet

Things you like, and don't, about Nolan. Like two sides of a coin ? Sounds like a central premise of a plot in a Nolan film...
    LucknFate wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    It may mean nothing, but I find the shared use of the word reinvention/reinventing interesting.

Nolan

"A Bond movie, definitely. I’ve spoken to the producers Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson over the years. I deeply love the character, and I’m always excited to see what they do with it. Maybe one day that would work out. You’d have to be needed, if you know what I mean. It has to need reinvention; it has to need you."

Broccoli

"There isn’t a script and we can’t come up with one until we decide how we’re going to approach the next film because, really, it’s a reinvention of Bond. We’re reinventing who he is and that takes time. I’d say that filming is at least two years away."

If they are actually setting up for Nolan right now, that will be a hell of a coup come this summer. It would be huge news.

I wouldn't mind a Nolan rebirth at somepoint Bond and Nolan have to meet why not now. Nolan would give bond a box office boost.
    You know in watching this trailer I kind of do want guy Ritchie to tackle bond more then Nolan

Again I know Nolan/ATJ is a rumor and not confirmed but both seem kind of real more so then before
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I used to be on the nolan train but now I think edgar wright is the perfect choice to direct bond 26. Home grown talent, already good friends with Babs and Mick and if there one thing bond needs to be in the 2020's it's more "kinetic". Wrights movies are all under or around the 2hr mark and having that energy to the editing which bond lacks nowadays. He's that perfect mix of a director with a strong vision but without having some crazy pretensions of reinventing the character and seeing his inner thoughts. he's the kind of guy the franchise needs right now. If you ever see the work he puts into his storyboards/planning he takes his stuff very seriously and there isn't a film of his I haven't enjoyed (although I haven't seen last night in soho yet).
  • I am a a big fan of Edgar but I don’t see him doing bond justice early on in someone’s tenure, towards the end sure. Sony/Marvel should have hired him for Spider-Man a long time ago though. His style would have been perfect.
    I am a a big fan of Edgar but I don’t see him doing bond justice early on in someone’s tenure, towards the end sure. Sony/Marvel should have hired him for Spider-Man a long time ago though. His style would have been perfect.

What is it he lacks in your opinion?
  • edited February 2023 Posts: 784
    I am a a big fan of Edgar but I don’t see him doing bond justice early on in someone’s tenure, towards the end sure. Sony/Marvel should have hired him for Spider-Man a long time ago though. His style would have been perfect.

He is too light, in the Roger Moore sense. And his cuts are too fast paced for Bond.

He is too light, in the Roger Moore sense.

See, thats exactly why I like him. Different strokes for different folks.

I like him too, but unless the producers embrace the humor and his artistry, I don’t see it working out.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria

I like him too, but unless the producers embrace the humor and his artistry, I don’t see it working out.

I agree. I like him too. But I don't know about his style in a Bond film.
    edited February 2023 Posts: 7,966
    Well edgar usually releases a new film every four years or so, and he hasn't announced his next project yet, so I guess that puts him in the running along with everyone else who is available.

Personally I think directors and producers on these big franchises can meet in the middle, where the producers give as much creative control as possible, and directors tinker their style slightly to fit the project. Sam raimis spider-man films are undeniably him, but they're still toned down compared with, say, evil dead or darkman. There are certain concessions that both have to make to lead to the best results, and it all depends on the relationship between the parties involved and if there's trust there. I don't think edgar would be brought to go full cornetto trilogy rapid cuts, hes even moved away from that hyper exaggerated style in his own films. But at the same time, the bond films do need a jolt, and a much faster, more kinetic pace. The Craig films feature a lot of long establishing shots which do border on self-indulgent IMO, and the runtimes overall have balloned past the 2 hr 20 mark, which isn't ideal IMO.
    I agree but I dont get why you like Mendes who was responsible for those.

Long establishing shots are boring, but I could easily have seen a long take of bond sitting down at a restaurant, ordering a meal, having a drink, checking his phone, making a call and simply waiting for someone. Similarly to this scene:

I dont see Nolan, Ritchie, Edgar or any other commercial director doing that. Neither do I think indie art directors are capable of producing the necessary suspense, the dynamic pacing or the ingenious plots and twists to captivate and satisfy audiences.

The Safdie Brothers did really well with Uncut Gems but it was very narrow and scaled down. And the scene in Aftersun where Paul Mescal (great actor) cries is really good while most other scenes like in most indie films are absolutely tedious. Fukanaga and Mendes both had huge potential but totally missed the mark when it came to it.

The gap between “art” and “entertainment” is so large at this point that anything not hitting that sweet spot inbetween is dreadful and quite frankly completely uninteresting to begin with.
  • quantumspectrequantumspectre argentina
    The direction I like Edgar Wright, Denis Villeneuve, Christopher McQuarrie and of course Christopher Nolan with a trilogy.
    or petter berg, a gritty bond with some jokes. already many of his movies have drama and jokes.
    edited March 2023 Posts: 7,966
    something I forgot to mention about edgar wright directing Bond - it would be a great opportunity to bring the budgets down and have a smaller story. Almost everyone I see tells me they want a Bond film set in a single location in the style of LALD. I think that would be hard to do in this day and age given how people want bigger and more extravagant movies. How is a relatively small scale Bond film supposed to compete with a Fast & Furious megablockbuster? HOWEVER, I think if you gave a director such as Wright some wingle room you could market the film on their "uniqueness" and go against the grain. I think Wrights british humour, kineticism and flair would really sell to an audience that "bond is back".
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    https://www.darkhorizons.com/waller-bridge-may-direct-next-bond-film/
    Waller-Bridge May Direct Next Bond Film?
    The British tabloids love some good James Bond talk, and today they’ve delivered a story that’s actually more interesting than the usual “who will play Bond” casting speculation.

The Daily Mail reports that actress/writer/producer Phoebe Waller-Bridge has been in ‘early discussions’ with Bond franchise producer Barbara Broccoli and that Waller-Bridge has emerged as Broccoli’s number one choice to direct the next film in the franchise – the twenty-sixth overall.

The “Fleabag” creator/star famously worked on Daniel Craig’s final James Bond film “No Time to Die,” doing a script polish to beef up the dialogue, humor and pathos along with reworking some scenes and characters.

It’s most visible in the Cuban sequence where Ana de Armas scene-stealing Paloma character, a last-minute addition to the film, was created by director Cary Fukunaga and written by Waller-Bridge.

The paper’s source says: “Barbara has been quite open about saying Phoebe would be her first choice to direct and co-write the next film. Barbara believes Phoebe is a huge talent and brings a fresh, modern take to Bond. They’ve already had very early discussions, but there are lots of variables in the equation.”

The new film will be the first of a new Bond actor and likely see a shift in terms of the series tone and scale as is standard when a new 007 comes in.

Waller-Bridge has experience with espionage thrillers. She created and showran the first season of the darkly comic assassin/spy series “Killing Eve,” which scored much acclaim for that initial outing. She exited at the end of the first season, handing over the reins to other showrunners for the subsequent and less well-received three seasons.

Waller-Bridge will soon be on screen as Harrison Ford’s goddaughter Helena in “Indiana Jones And The Dial Of Destiny” opening this Summer. She’s also writing a script for Amazon’s new “Tomb Raider” TV series and is starring in the fantasy comedy “If” alongside Ryan Reynolds and Steve Carrell.

The next Bond isn’t expected to go into production until next year at the very earliest.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    PWB isnt a director, and I dont think handing a $200m relaunch to a first timer would be a good idea.

However I wouldnt be surprised if she was creatively involved.
    If it's coming from tabloids at this point, I'm betting it's BS.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    The original story about Phoebe as first-choice director was posted on 1st April, right...?
    I get the feeling like, the way things are shaking out, EON are gonna wanna go BIG and announce BOND IS BACK when the next film eventually arrives. I think they will want a popular commercial name in the directors chair and I'm about 70% sure it's going to be Nolan (based on his comments) whether we like it or not.

why I think Nolan is a decent choice for Bond (not ideal, but above average) is because, although he has a certain reputation on film, and certain trademarks which people dislike, those elements have come about during his career as a filmmaker, and the important think to remember is that bond PREDATES his filmmaking career. He freely admits that he's been thinking about "his" bond story since he was a small boy, so I highly doubt he would approach bond the same way as, say tenet, which is an original concept. I think its safe to that he would soften those edges, if nothing else, out of reverence for the material.

I know people will continue to slate him, and I don't even think he's best option by far, but it's worth mentioning, and I think he's probably going to be our guy so we'll likely have to get used to the idea somehow.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited April 2023 Posts: 8,248
    I think EoN may wait to see how Oppenheimer does before putting all their chips on this guy.

He is showing a pattern of diminishing returns in quality since TDKR.... a ten year slide in quality isn't what EoN want; they want someone on the way up,not down, is my guess....
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    peter wrote: »
    a ten year slide in quality isn't what EoN want; they want someone on the way up,not down, is my guess....
    Actually, when you put it like that...

edited April 2023 Posts: 7,966
    directors on the level of nolan don't just fall off. They may go through dry spells, but they don't simply disappear. Even spielberg has had a poor run of films in his career. If anything, the fact that Nolan hasn't had a smash hit in a while (I actually consider dunkirk one of his better movies) is evidence he's due one soon.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    No one is saying they disappear, @Mendes4Lyfe ...

But he's been diminishing returns since TDKR...

Read-up on why Tarantino is making his tenth and final film. He has a point to his theory...

And that's not evidence you gave, it's a guess.
    No one is saying they disappear, @Mendes4Lyfe ...

But he's been diminishing returns since TDKR...

Read-up on why Tarantino is making his tenth and final film. He has a point to his theory...

And that's not evidence you gave, it's a guess.
    What I'm saying is that someone who made memento, The Prestige, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Inception and Dunkirk doesn't just permanently drop off at age 50, the talent is still with them. Tarantino kinda sucked in the 2000's, but then hit his stride again with Inglourious B******** and hasn't looked back. I see no reason to believe Nolan won't find his mojo again, and I'm rather expecting that OPPENHIEMER will be his return to form but we'll see.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited April 2023 Posts: 8,248
    Read why Tarantino is making his tenth and final film. He has a point to his theory, and over a hundred years of film history unfortunately backs him up @Mendes4Lyfe .

Listen, I'm sure Oppenheimer will be the top three film of its opening weekend (not sure what it's going up against), and I'm sure it'll have a moderate run.

But what I think we'll be hearing, and what we have been hearing with each of Nola's recent releases is this: I couldn't hear the actors; Jesus that was long; I fell asleep....

If EoN thought they had a treat with Boyle...
    Read why Tarantino is making his tenth and final film. He has a point to his theory, and over a hundred years of film history unfortunately backs him up @Mendes4Lyfe .

Listen, I'm sure Oppenheimer will be the top three film of its opening weekend (not sure what it's going up against), and I'm sure it'll have a moderate run.

But what I think we'll be hearing, and what we have been hearing with each of Nola's recent releases is this: I couldn't hear the actors; Jesus that was long; I fell asleep....

If EoN thought they had a treat with Boyle...

Boyle is a completely different case, he's never directed a straight up action film in his life, let alone a blockbuster franchise. Nolan directed one of the greatest comic book trilogies of all time (inspite of TDKR) and has an ironclad pedigree for popcorn cinema.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I'm talking about personalities. @Mendes4Lyfe ....

If Boyle was precious about Hodge's Bond script, imagine what a treat Nolan will be... That was my point...
    @peter does nolan have a reputation for being unreasonable or something?

never heard that before...