Star Trek (1966 - present)

Comments

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    My only quibble about the directors cut of VI is the inclusion of those flashes during the mind meld scene. IMO it breaks the flow of that wonderful shot circling Spock and Valeris.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    My only quibble about the directors cut of VI is the inclusion of those flashes during the mind meld scene. IMO it breaks the flow of that wonderful shot circling Spock and Valeris.

Agreed. I only watch the theatrical version these days.
    I actually grew up watching the directors cut but it was the 1992 edition that doesn’t have those flashes. I was hoping on the 4K restoration that they would use that version. Alas, it was the 2004 edit instead.

Unlike STAR WARS, I’m glad Paramount always keeps the original versions alongside the alternate cuts.
    edited January 2023 Posts: 17,687
    I actually grew up watching the directors cut but it was the 1992 edition that doesn’t have those flashes. I was hoping on the 4K restoration that they would use that version. Alas, it was the 2004 edit instead.

Unlike STAR WARS, I’m glad Paramount always keeps the original versions alongside the alternate cuts.

Yeah.
    But discovering Colonel West as the intended assassin was just too Scooby Doo for me.
    Perhaps, but I just like seeing René Auberjonois in parts whether it’s on Star Trek or elsewhere.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    ELTZhCNUYAEFA6L.jpg
    I totally forgot Annie Wersching was in the Enterprise episode Oasis as well as playing the Borg Queen in Picard. Very sad loss passing away at 45.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 2023 Posts: 14,861
    chrisisall wrote: »

I can happily watch Trek TV series but for me the first 6 or so films are the ultimate incarnation of Trek- nothing else in the canon really comes close for me: they're dramatic and emotional and thrilling adventures in a way ST never quite managed elsewhere. And Shatner may well not be the great actor to have ever lived but he's charisma in a little red jacket- it's quite amazing to see him blow a top actor like Patrick Stewart off the screen. I was glad to see the love for Horner's scores over the page: he makes those films so exciting and energetic and I really like his big naval sweeping theme- it gives something like Khan, which is quite a cheap little film, big epic scope.
    Goldsmith is obviously Goldsmith and a complete hero, but I find his Trek theme a little staid in comparison, even if it is a bit more hummable.
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland
    mtm wrote: »
    chrisisall wrote: »

I can happily watch Trek TV series but for me the first 6 or so films are the ultimate incarnation of Trek- nothing else in the canon really comes close for me: they're dramatic and emotional and thrilling adventures in a way ST never quite managed elsewhere. And Shatner may well not be the great actor to have ever lived but he's charisma in a little red jacket- it's quite amazing to see him blow a top actor like Patrick Stewart off the screen. I was glad to see the love for Horner's scores over the page: he makes those films so exciting and energetic and I really like his big naval sweeping theme- it gives something like Khan, which is quite a cheap little film, big epic scope.
    Goldsmith is obviously Goldsmith and a complete hero, but I find his Trek theme a little staid in comparison, even if it is a bit more hummable.
    Have to agree on the TOS Movies being the peak of Trek from what I've seen. They're just fantastic.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited February 2023 Posts: 23,102
    I am hearing very positive things about Picard: Season 3. Only 10 days left to wait...
    edited February 2023 Posts: 554
    I am hearing very positive things about Picard: Season 3. Only 10 days left to wait...
    I'm looking forward to that show most of all out of the remaining Trek I haven't seen. Probably would've went straight to it if I didn't know Voyager content figured into it.
    edited February 2023 Posts: 7,999
    When it comes to peak Trek, I’d probably give it to DS9 over all the movies except THE WRATH OF KHAN.
    When it comes to peak Trek, I’d probably give it to DS9 over all the movies except THE WRATH OF KHAN.
    DS9 is great, but there's something really special for me in the way the TOS Movies show you the characters grappling with change in and out of universe across decades. Plus although I love Sisko, Kirk is definitely my favourite Trek protagonist, and the Movies casting him as a glorious mess of a person is a big part of that.

---
    I'm looking forward to that show most of all out of the remaining Trek I haven't seen. Probably would've went straight to it if I didn't know Voyager content figured into it.

Voyager is a mixed bag the show improves after the first few seasons when Seven joins the cast.. There was a early story arc I really could not get into in the first few seasons.
    This seems promising… but so was the first two or three episodes of S2 and we saw how that all went. Fingers crossed. I do dig the use of music. It’s not just familiar Goldsmith themes but they even used incidental pieces like when Picard finds his old combadge, taken right out of INSURRECTION when the holoship is discovered.

I’m not excited about the allusions to TWOK, that’s TOS’s turf, and we saw how that fell flat with NEMESIS. If they’re gonna do what I think they’re doing with Beverly’s son then yeah I’m already rolling my eyes at that conceit, but we’ll see how that plays out.

One refreshing thing is that Picard and Riker for a destination and they’re actually there by the end of an episode, as opposed to stretching that out to Episode 8. So if they keep up that kind of pace this season should move nicely.

Fingers crossed.
    I was expecting Picard Season 3 to drop on Prime Video today in the UK, there is nothing not even a trailer? UK members is the show on Paramount + I have looked online though getting mixed information.
    I’m told for the UK it’s released Friday at midnight on Amazon Prime.
    I’m told for the UK it’s released Friday at midnight on Amazon Prime.

OK thanks, some sites are saying internationally its on Paramount+ ? I am not currently subscribed to Paramount+, i will only subscribe if i know for certain Picard is on there.
    CBS made a licensing deal with Amazon for the UK and other territories for PICARD before Paramount+ became available. Any territory not part of that deal is able to just go straight to Paramount+, so it all depends where. Sort of like how Netflix had exclusive rights until Paramount decided to buy it all back from Netflix to bring it all in house. I think because this is the final season of PICARD they decided to just let that one play out until the rights expire.

Wow Picard Season 3 ep1 'The Next Generation' I had chills throughout, I can't remember the last time I grinned so much. The music got me the sound design and references were great and fit the narrative. Made me feel sad seeing the dedication to Annie who recently passed away. I loved the script and banter between Picard and Riker, definitely going to watch that again later today.

P.S. I am very proud of my Eaglemoss Enterprise D, when you see the episode you will understand.
    Spoilers for Picard S3 ep1
    Titan leaves space dock 4K
    I absolutely love this scene.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Brings back fond memories. Also, the music!
    Picard Season 3 ep2 another great episode, this feels movie level. There were several moments that were awesome gave me chills.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited February 2023 Posts: 7,888
    This is more exciting than anything presented In the last 20 years of Star Trek; it’s motion picture quality stuff.
    talos7 wrote: »
    This is more exciting than anything presented In the last 20 years of Star Trek; it’s motion picture quality stuff.

The exchange between two characters, no dialogue though so much expressed great acting.

Picard was acting like Picard which was absent in the first 2 seasons, that authority was back right at the end. I will definitely be purchasing the boxset for this season.
    So many movies and TV shows have cluttered CGI with way too much going on, you only really need an awesome shot like this...
    U.S.S. TITAN-A to the rescue! Star Trek Picard - 3x02 - Disengage
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    My wife and i finished watching season 2 of ST:Picard. Oh what a mess that was, some episodes did not go anywhere, stuff happened to the characters without bringing the story forward. Characters were written in that did not need to be there. And one episode suddenly throws us into Picard:The Musical...wtf?
    And all the changing of history when time travelling does not seem to matter anymore, because it affects an alternative universe (well maybe, one cannot be too sure). Anyway, I loved that several characters had to deal with formative events in their past, not only Picard himself.

I am calmed down now, because I still had the energy to watch S3 E1 - and that was something completely different. Trek is back and it never looked cooler. Yay!
  • I’m glad I skipped season 2 and went straight to 3, I never heard a good thing about it !
    Picard Season 2 and 3 could not be much further apart in terms of quality.
    I just watched the first two episodes of Picard season 3 and enjoyed them immensely. I'm in with this until the end. I tried STD & SNW- couldn't get into them. LD is entertaining, but not addictive (to ME).