The Fast and the Furious (2001 - present)

Comments

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I was excited for 9 just because of Lin returning, but I never got around to catching up with 8 as I didn’t have the time, so as a consequence I never caught 9. But now with Justin Lin having walked off 10, that makes me think that coming back for 9 probably wasn’t worth it. Sounded like it was just a career decision to go back to the well in order to make other films down the line. I look forward to when we hear more accurate details on what made Lin walk off, but I’m sure it has a lot to do with Vin Diesel.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I completely agree. 7 is where it should have stopped; 8 is where they started to jump the shark. The space scene in 9 is where I felt utterly insulted. It's tough to be insulted by films like these but somehow 9 managed. 5 is the best of the series, in my opinion.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Diesel has confirmed the first trailer for the next installment will arrive in February.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited February 2023 Posts: 23,102
    They are really trying to push the nostalgia with these trailers...

On leave for a week so will try to watch my copy of F9 still not seen it lol Pretty sure I bought it in 4K.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    FAST X: Fast & Furious 10 Teaser Trailer (2023)

That's a lot of cast.
    Full trailer should be arriving in a couple of hours. I hope it’s awesome but if it’s another goofy looking CGI overload, count me out.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Just watched the trailer, it looks totally overblown and CG heavy. I like Mamoa though not sure he can pull off being a villain. Plus if we get a Fast 11 we know Mamoa will join the family lol
    I will say there's more grounded action in that trailer than there was in the entirety of F9 but the CGI is still aplenty and rough, and that retcon is laughably poor. Not buying Momoa here at all, I'm afraid - and you're probably right, he'll be buddy buddy with them by the end, haha. Happens to nearly every villain in this series.
    I will say there's more grounded action in that trailer than there was in the entirety of F9 but the CGI is still aplenty and rough, and that retcon is laughably poor. Not buying Momoa here at all, I'm afraid - and you're probably right, he'll be buddy buddy with them by the end, haha. Happens to nearly every villain in this series.
    Yeah the retcon of I think Fast 5 was lame plus The Rock surely should be in this one if they are referencing that film so much. The CGI when Mamoa was stood behind the hole where the safe smashed through very dodgy.
    Yeah the retcon of I think Fast 5 was lame plus The Rock surely should be in this one if they are referencing that film so much. The CGI when Mamoa was stood behind the hole where the safe smashed through very dodgy.

I only saw it once but is the idea here that:
    Momoa's character is Reyes' son and was actually present during the vault heist yet we somehow didn't see him, and that he even survived the car crashing into the ocean?

If so, that's stunning.
  • Looks slightly better than 8 and 9 but...that CGI. X_X
    Vin Diesel wants 'Avengers' star Robert Downey Jr. in 'Fast and Furious 11' as a villain 'promoting AI and driverless cars'
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.insider.com/vin-diesel-robert-downey-jr-avengers-fast-and-furious-11-2023-2?amp
    That's actually quite laughable as Dom is constantly driving CGI cars :))
    Didn't they already take the "AI is bad" route in a previous installment? This series really should've ended with 7.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited February 2023 Posts: 8,009
    Looks utterly daft. I'm more interested in a Hobbs & Shaw sequel. I really look back fondly on the fifth film (which should have been the end, I feel) so the trailer was incredibly offputting.
    Looks utterly daft. I'm more interested in a Hobbs & Shaw sequel. I really look back fondly on the fifth film (which should have been the end, I feel) so the trailer was incredibly offputting.

With The Rock busy these days and Statham appearing here, I'm guessing that sequel is never coming, sadly.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    I will say that it looks better than Fast 9 (not that that's saying much - that film was dreadful even by Vin Diesel standards). Even for all of 8's absurdity it's the perfect example of a "just turn off your brain and have fun" type of film. Likewise with Hobbs and Shaw. I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't go see this, but I agree with the consensus that the Fast Five retcon is laughable and Momoa seems a lackluster villain.

I saw rumors of a Gal Gadot appearance but hopefully it's just the stock footage from Fast Five. I don't think my brain cells can handle anymore retcons.

It honestly wouldn't be so bad if ol' Vinnie Boy there didn't preach about these films as if he's the next Coppola or Scorsese.
    @Ryan, that's how I felt after seeing the trailer - didn't blow me away but it certainly looks better than its predecessor, not that that's saying too much.

They're clearly going retcon city with the villain so I really hope they don't try to bring her back too. It's annoying when death means nothing in most films and shows anymore.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    I finally sat through all of Fast 9, wow that was rough. Probably the worst film of the series. It was entertaining as it was so bad, none of the intended humour landed 😂 Vin's ego is clearly out of control. I think there was as much CGI used on the actors faces and muscles as there was on the cars, some of the actors looked bizarre.

Fast X actually looks like a good film in comparison to 9.
  • edited May 2023 Posts: 669
    I finally sat through all of Fast 9, wow that was rough. Probably the worst film of the series. It was entertaining as it was so bad, none of the intended humour landed 😂 Vin's ego is clearly out of control. I think there was as much CGI used on the actors faces and muscles as there was on the cars, some of the actors looked bizarre.

I have thoroughly enjoyed every F&F film until Fast 9. Watching that movie (I refuse to call it a film), I felt this incredible sinking feeling. It's not often you actually realize a franchise is jumping the shark while you're watching it; usually it takes some reflection. But no, walking out of the theater, I had a lump in my throat and a strange degree of sadness, because I realized that these movies that have given me so much silly pleasure were now just completely over for me.
    edited May 2023 Posts: 23,102

I have thoroughly enjoyed every F&F film until Fast 9. Watching that movie (I refuse to call it a film), I felt this incredible sinking feeling. It's not often you actually realize a franchise is jumping the shark while you're watching it; usually it takes some reflection. But no, walking out of the theater, I had a lump in my throat and a strange degree of sadness, because I realized that these movies that have given me so much silly pleasure were now just completely over for me.

It did not help that the script itself spelt out that the film was jumping the shark, it was really bad at times physics does not exist at all now for the Fast crew, Vin may as well have been playing Captain America or the Hulk with things he was doing.

Fast X does look a bit more coherent and grounded :)) though ridiculously bloated cast wise.

I own all 9 main films and Hobbs and Shaw so I have also spent the money, the majority of the series is a guilty pleasure, the films peaked for me around 5, 6 and 7.

The series has been quite bad since the 8th one or so. It's on another level of cheesiness now.

The series has been quite bad since the 8th one or so. It's on another level of cheesiness now.

I think on reflection i was more shocked by how incoherent everything was, it really was a mess structurally. the flash back scenes not great though felt almost like a real movie.

I think on reflection i was more shocked by how incoherent everything was, it really was a mess structurally. the flash back scenes not great though felt almost like a real movie.

I feel like, at this point (and certainly in the ninth installment), they're drawing on really tired bits of empty, character-building dialogue from the older installments to try and craft new emotion, like the thing with Dom's brother he never discusses and his dad being killed when they were younger. Now you get the ultimate retcon of Jason Momoa somehow being involved in Fast Five and being set up as the new antagonist.

I'm still willing to bet money that he'll end up seeing "the error of his ways" or some nonsense and will become the new member of their "family" by the end of the film. It's the same tired trope they've been exercising for a long while now, aside from Charlize Theron's character that clearly should've been killed off after her introduction. They don't know what to do with her now past keep her imprisoned, occasionally escaping, all with new, wacky, highly-stylized hairdos. It's a mess.

I feel like, at this point (and certainly in the ninth installment), they're drawing on really tired bits of empty, character-building dialogue from the older installments to try and craft new emotion, like the thing with Dom's brother he never discusses and his dad being killed when they were younger. Now you get the ultimate retcon of Jason Momoa somehow being involved in Fast Five and being set up as the new antagonist.

I'm still willing to bet money that he'll end up seeing "the error of his ways" or some nonsense and will become the new member of their "family" by the end of the film. It's the same tired trope they've been exercising for a long while now, aside from Charlize Theron's character that clearly should've been killed off after her introduction. They don't know what to do with her now past keep her imprisoned, occasionally escaping, all with new, wacky, highly-stylized hairdos. It's a mess.

The Momoa thing seems way to similar to the plot from Fast 7, revenge for dead brother. Charlize Theron will probably die a few more times then join the family and end up being the mother to Dom's child or something.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    The fifth one was the peak for me. It felt like a natural conclusion for the characters arc-wise and a reasonable (though still requiring suspension of disbelief) limit on excess.

Ever since then, they've been pushing the bar. I enjoyed the seventh one for its creativity and for the presence of Statham and Russell, but other than that it's been very middling.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Vin Diesel has confirmed that Fast X is the start of the final trilogy. Fast 11 and Fast 12 will conclude the franchise.