“He’s from Barcelona”.. Fawlty Towers - rate the episodes or discuss

12346»

Comments

• edited February 2023 Posts: 3,269
    Revelator wrote: »
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but the John Cleese of today is not the John Cleese I loved on Monty Python and Fawlty Towers and all those projects connected with both. I didn't even like him as the cartoonish "R" in TWINE and DAD, which however was not his fault (I hope). Anyway, let bygones be bygones and don't ruin the remains of a legacy.

Cleese's 2014 memoir was quite good and I've enjoyed several of his one-man stage shows. So I don't think his talent has deserted him. R in TWINE was a badly written role but I had no problem with the character in DAD.

It's obviously dangerous to revisit a near-perfect sitcom like FT, but if Cleese and his daughter make the new show different enough to stand on its own there's a chance it might be an honorable effort. There's potential in the idea of Fawlty as a clueless old man in the world of modern hotels.

I hope it will be filmed in front of a live audience so we do get a more traditional 70's sitcom laughter soundtrack.

If it's shot in the modern day Gervais Office/Extras style with no laughter, I don't think it will work as well.

As much as it needs to stand on its own away from the old FT, it can't stray too far away.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I saw someone suggest that it could star Cleese as himself, trying to cope with making a new series of Fawlty for US TV and the struggles he has with it, and I think that's probably a better idea than this show itself.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    It would be funny to hear Basil going off on the EU.

"Don't mention the European Union. I did it once, but I think I got away with it."

But I don't know about this overall. Fawlty Towers is consistently held up as one of the best British sitcoms, along with Only Fools And Horses (usually they're #1 and #2). So it makes any attempt at a revival/remake/reboot, very foolhardy. Plus in order for it not to flop, it would probably have to be so sanitised as not to upset anyone. Leave it alone, is my advice.

This did happen with Only Fools. They should have ended it when Del and Rodney became rich. The comeback episodes when they were visibly much older and lost all their money didn't really work.

Likewise, the same happened with Auf Pet resurrected by the BBC. They should have left that at series 1 and 2.

Fawlty Towers is an absolute classic, and seeing a very old Basil Fawlty may not be the best thing to see. I feel it could tarnish the legacy that has been cemented for decades now. The only thing that gives me hope is that it will be written by Cleese.

OFAH definitely should have ended with the Christmas 1996 trilogy. On top of flogging a dead horse, it also felt.... a little mean spirited to the characters.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    It would be funny to hear Basil going off on the EU.

"Don't mention the European Union. I did it once, but I think I got away with it."

But I don't know about this overall. Fawlty Towers is consistently held up as one of the best British sitcoms, along with Only Fools And Horses (usually they're #1 and #2). So it makes any attempt at a revival/remake/reboot, very foolhardy. Plus in order for it not to flop, it would probably have to be so sanitised as not to upset anyone. Leave it alone, is my advice.

This did happen with Only Fools. They should have ended it when Del and Rodney became rich. The comeback episodes when they were visibly much older and lost all their money didn't really work.

Likewise, the same happened with Auf Pet resurrected by the BBC. They should have left that at series 1 and 2.

Fawlty Towers is an absolute classic, and seeing a very old Basil Fawlty may not be the best thing to see. I feel it could tarnish the legacy that has been cemented for decades now. The only thing that gives me hope is that it will be written by Cleese.

OFAH definitely should have ended with the Christmas 1996 trilogy. On top of flogging a dead horse, it also felt.... a little mean spirited to the characters.

Absoulutely. The Trotters walking off into the sunset.
    'This time next year we could be billionaires!'

Brilliant way to end on.
    No need to bring back Basil and Fawlty Towers. It'll get panned no matter what.
    Surely Cleese doesn't need the money. He's milked playing the character or variations of it since though, so it doesn't surprise me he's looking at reviving his most beloved character.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited February 2023 Posts: 23,102
    Everything after Del finding the Fob Watch episode is a blank, I never bothered to revisit the last three episodes with Damian.
  • edited February 2023 Posts: 2,742
    mtm wrote: »
    I saw someone suggest that it could star Cleese as himself, trying to cope with making a new series of Fawlty for US TV and the struggles he has with it, and I think that's probably a better idea than this show itself.

I think that'd be funny actually. Perhaps a bit too meta and in the vein something Ricky Gervais would do, but still cool.

Anyway, I'm kinda skeptical about this. Fawlty Towers for me exists in this sort of time vacuum as a 70s BBC comedy - laugh track, ropey sets, farcical scenarios, and even its use of stereotypes. That's not a criticism of the show, I think it's wonderfully written and rewatch it. I would say the same about a show like The Young Ones (for somewhat different reasons, but it's a show I still love and find hilarious). Setting it outside of Torquay, let alone in the modern world and with an American production company, fundementally changes it.

It's also a show that I don't feel has any room for it to be continued. Many of the supporting cast are either dead or won't return (Connie Booth having quit the television industry and Prunella Scales unfortunately having Alzheimers). It's not like Fraiser - another show being rebooted without many of the supporting cast - which left the main character in an open ended place story wise, and is even a spin off of a previous television show. Again, it may as well be a different show altogether.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    007HallY wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »

I think that'd be funny actually. Perhaps a bit too meta and in the vein something Ricky Gervais would do, but still cool.

It's a good idea isn't it? Especially as it's about Fawlty Towers, pretty much the most iconic of the 'untouchable' perfect sitcoms because everyone knows it shouldn't be brought back. But as you say, the problem is that is ground which has been gone over many times, from Gervais to Episodes to Curb Your Enthusiasm to all sorts of other ones.
  • edited February 2023 Posts: 1,637
    I DO think he needs the money or at least wants it , why else would he have "An evening with....." shows in a small place like Umeå , Sweden ? (its like Parker setting up shows for Elvis in not-so-big cities in the US and E just went "okay , lets do it")

Also , like 007 sequels , maybe we should look at this new show on its own merits instead of comparing it to 70s original.....its difficult , i know , but audience can give it a try