The James Bond Movie Trivia Quiz

1979899100101103»

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 2023 Posts: 14,861
    My pleasure!

Okay, staying on the transportation theme, which form of transport do we not see Bond use in these films which we do see him use in all of the rest? (I'm going with Eon ones only here)

Thunderball
    Octopussy
    The Living Daylights
    Die Another Day

(With the usual caveat that I might be mistaken :D )
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited January 2023 Posts: 8,655
    This is still re my previous question regarding the ship:

If anyone is interested in the background, please check https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Aurora_(1955).
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Not that it is in all the other films but is it motorcycle?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Not motorcycles, no.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Just guessing without closer checking: elevators/lifts?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2023 Posts: 14,861
    Bingo! That's the one; I couldn't find him visibly making use of lifts/elevators in those movies, although he potentially does offscreen, whereas he does use lifts in all of the others. Happy to be corrected!

Some are more contentious than others: in Moonraker we see Bond & Holly approach and exit the lift to get to the top of the launch tower but we don't really see them use it; in NTTD Bond calls the lift in MI6HQ before Moneypenny asks him to dinner but doesn't actually get in the lift onscreen, but I counted that.
    Make my day...while @QBranch is now making my night. :-)
    OK, I'll just drop in a quickie without much deliberation: Which German cities were James Bond shooting locations? Not counting the Nene Valley "Karl-Marx-Stadt" station nor the fictional Feldstadt. Note: There are more than the two obvious ones.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Well I've been to Berlin.

And if I keep my job about one more year, I have business projected in Hamburg of all places. To get the obvious out of the way.

Yes, but (surprising to me as well, when I discovered it recently) B and HH are not the end of the story. It has something to do with a (somewhat less prominent) German-brand product placement.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Frankfurt and Lufthansa featured in DAF, as Bond pretending to be Peter Franks left for LA from Frankfurt.
    Apparently TLD had scenes shot in Germany, but I cannot establish where.
    Correct, @Benny. As I understand it, Schiphol wouldn't allow filming those scenes leaving Amsterdam on a Lufthansa plane since the connection didn't exist anyway. So the (non-LA) Lufthansa scenes were filmed at Frankfurt Airport, LH's home base.

Any TLD filming in Germany would be news to me. At least IMDb does not list a German location for that movie.

Over to you, sir.
    @Benny, just humbly reminding you that it's your turn to ask the next trivia question.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    That's interesting, DAF has got to be a candidate for the Bond movie shot in the most countries? I can never get over that incredibly brief scene in the PTS that they must've shot in the south of France or somewhere.
    I wonder which film does have the highest number of locations?
    As I can't think of anything, I'll go with something that should be easy to discover.

Which James Bond film has the most countries used for filming?
    As a bonus question, which film for each of the actors has the most countries used for filming?

I think the answers will surprise you.
    edited February 2023 Posts: 8,655
    I thought about this on this somewhat drab winter day (no snow, at least).

It is a bit questionable whether everything seen in the films should be counted. For instance, stock footage of the Pentagon (and IMO also of a NASA control room, the way it looks) was used in YOLT, and the exotic fish in TSWLM (but nothing else) were filmed in Japan. You can see Vatican City (a sovereign state) within Rome in SP during the car chase, but it is not really a shooting location (I'd count it if the car chase had gone through St. Peter's Square).

Those lists on IMDb also aren't very reliable anyway. For instance, I noticed today that they had Portugal for Draco's birthday party and the Gebrüder Gumbold office in Bern...but among the locations of TB (they are listed with OHMSS, too - still I sent a deletion/update request to IMDb re TB now). They also list a "Matsu Island, China" as a YOLT location (the PRC's Matsu Islands, off Fuzhou, hardly served as actual filming locations then), and the Black Forest in Germany for OHMSS. I was unable to find anything about the veracity of the latter and in spite of having delved deeply into the pleasures of learning about locations, had never even heard about it before. It's probably only listed because allegedly it can be seen from Schilthorn, 100 km away, on a clear day.

So, leaving out that Chinese island and the Pentagon stock footage, I count 6 countries/territories for YOLT: UK, Japan, Spain (at least part of the Little Nellie scene), Norway (the "Soviet" radar station in the PTS), Gibraltar and Hong Kong. This is the Connery movie with the most locations (countries/territories). DN has 2, FRWL 4, GF 3, TB 4, and DAF, 5.

OHMSS has 4 country locations, not counting the Black Forest, and I'm not so sure about the one mentioned in Italy (a pass on the border with Austria) either.

If I do count those Japanese fish tanks as a filming location of TSWLM, it ties with MR as the two Bond movies with the most countries used (TSWLM: UK, Canada, Italy, Switzerland, Egypt, Malta, the Bahamas and Japan; MR: UK, France, Italy, US, Argentina, Brazil, Guatemala and Paraguay). The other Roger Moore films have 3 (LALD), 4 (TMWTGG - counting Hong Kong and Macau separately, FYEO and OP) and 5 (AVTAK).

Dalton: TLD 5, LTK 3.

Brosnan: GE, TND and TWINE 6 each, DAD 5.

Craig: CR 4, QOS, SP and NTTD 5 each, SF 3.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2023 Posts: 14,861
    Wow, eight countries: that's bonkers. Great stats, JW!

That would have made a good trivia question :D
    mtm wrote: »
    That would have made a good trivia question :D
    Yes, why didn't anybody think of it? ...oh, wait...

I hope that @Benny will be satisfied.

The president said he was quite satisfied. And so was Benny.
    Well done @j_w_pepper you are indeed correct with your impressive stats.
    Over to you.
    Thank you, @Benny. I was afraid, but at the same time certain of that :-)

I'll be back some time during our Monday (it just started).
    OK, which of the five doesn't fit (one of them is a bit of recycling here):

Allegro
    Mr. Simon
    Gardien des Étoiles
    Kirk B.
    Roi des Signes III

Edit: I'm just not so sure if the last one shouldn't be called "Roi des Singes III" (not ...Signes), but I don't feel like checking and either one may apply, which doesn't really make a difference for the question.
    Any takers on this? It once more does have something to do with the subject of transportation.