'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I found out earlier today, that series 14 was being filmed down the road from me, a few days ago. If I had known, I would have taken a walk over, and had a look. The same thing happened with series 5, one of the rooftops scenes (and I think some interior stuff), was filed at the Guild Hall, also just down the road from me. But I only found out, after they had moved on.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Ah how annoying. Are you in Bristol?
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited January 2023 Posts: 23,105
    I have subscribed to the Premium version of ITVX and have to say the navigation on the app is much better than BRITBOX. ITVX has all the BRITBOX content and more.

I decided to start watching the Davidson era, ITVX presents the Doctor Who content very well. In the past I have not been the biggest fan of this era though I found Castrovalva to be a lot of fun with some good call backs to the other Doctors, maybe neglecting this era for years may bring a fresh perspective for me. I love how much the interior of the TARDIS is used in this story.

1*FjqclMacRjgTnX2OTmQKOA.png
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    mtm wrote: »

No, Swansea. They were filing over at the University Bay Campus. If I had known, I would have taken my dog over for a walk and had a look.
    I have subscribed to the Premium version of ITVX and have to say the navigation on the app is much better than BRITBOX. ITVX has all the BRITBOX content and more.

I decided to start watching the Davidson era, ITVX presents the Doctor Who content very well. In the past I have not been the biggest fan of this era though I found Castrovalva to be a lot of fun with some good call backs to the other Doctors, maybe neglecting this era for years may bring a fresh perspective for me. I love how much the interior of the TARDIS is used in this story.

I have mixed feelings on the Davison era. I find his Doctor for the most part, highly strung, wet even. There are still some good stories in his era though. The Caves Of Androzani is my favourite 'final' story.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

No, Swansea. They were filing over at the University Bay Campus. If I had known, I would have taken my dog over for a walk and had a look.

I have mixed feelings on the Davison era. I find his Doctor for the most part, highly strung, wet even. There are still some good stories in his era though. The Caves Of Androzani is my favourite 'final' story.

Yes that's my opinion on his take on the Doctor.

Whilst watching this story it did occur to me the story and sets were good relatively speaking, Davidson was the weakest link. I think Tegan and Nyssa are great, and Adric is well Adric irritating as ever.

Whilst watching this story it did occur to me the story and sets were good relatively speaking, Davidson was the weakest link. I think Tegan and Nyssa are great, and Adric is well Adric irritating as ever.

I have a soft spot for Nyssa. ;) Poor Adric though, the only interesting then he did was die.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Oh yes, I saw some pics of that. They turned it into a big tech company or something. With a giant slug monster :D

I think Davison himself is excellent; he's a proper lead actor. I think the issue is his character: they wrote him as humourless and constantly angry, which seems such an odd choice. If you watch him in Campion, he plays the main character basically as Doctor Who- mysterious and charming and with a sense of fun. That's how they should have let him play it, but they were always after a sense of contrast with the previous guy at that point. It took until Sylvester for that producer to work out what the Doctor is supposed to be like: fun and friendly!
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited January 2023 Posts: 5,834
    To be honest I find all of post Tom Baker to be quite like a fever dream, despite there being gems throughout.
    I rewatched the Tom Baker era a few years back and the level in quality did start to dip in his last season, JNT taking over was when things started to go down hill IMO.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Do we think that RTD is going to be soft rebooting the franchise somewhat? I kinda wouldn't be surprised if Series 14 is kind of a Series 1 retread? Still with a lot of originality and nuance like we know RTD does, but with everything we've learnt so far about beyond the 60th, it feels that way.
  • TheNumberOrTheCipherTheNumberOrTheCipher Raoul Silva did a little trolling
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Do we think that RTD is going to be soft rebooting the franchise somewhat? I kinda wouldn't be surprised if Series 14 is kind of a Series 1 retread? Still with a lot of originality and nuance like we know RTD does, but with everything we've learnt so far about beyond the 60th, it feels that way.

We know already that
    Kate Lethbridge Stewart
    is returning so I think it may be a jumping on point for viewers, but not as much a soft reboot. Think less Rose and more Eleventh Hour in a sense
    edited January 2023 Posts: 13,882
    I hope series 14 it opens with a story as good as The Eleventh Hour. I don't think debut stories tend to stand out amongst an actors but, that that one is an exception.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited January 2023 Posts: 5,834
    100%. That was great series opener, and it did a lot to get most people on board straight away with Matt Smith, especially after he was somewhat "controversial" for being so young and following David Tennant.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited January 2023 Posts: 13,879
    That was a very memorable episode, somewhat magical. I hope the series can get back to that kind of quality. It lost its spark somewhere along the way.
  • CharmianBondCharmianBond Pett Bottom, Kent
    It's a close to a perfect episode of television as it's possible to have and knowing the weight of expectation and the odds stacked against it it's nothing short of miraculous.
    LIVE: First Moments of the Doctor! | Doctor Who

These are great :)) (not including Jodie)
    It's official : the next series of the Classic era of Doctor Who to receive the Blu-Ray treatment will be Series 9, which contains some of the best episodes of the Pertwee era (heck, some of the best episodes of the entire series, period). Here's the content :

season-9.jpg

And the trailer (with a nice tribute to Elizabeth Sladen) :

https://merchandise.thedoctorwhosite.co.uk/doctor-who-the-collection-season-9-limited-edition-packaging/
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Interesting piece where RTD more or less confirms that there will be spin-offs in this new age of Who. And potentially outside of the BBC?
    He also says how the budget has increased, presumably thanks to Disney's involvement. It all sounds rather good...

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/culture/article/russell-t-davies-nolly-doctor-who-interview-2023

I approve of that thumbnail. :D 2 of my top 3.

Also, a belated happy 89th birthday to Tom Baker. <:-P

I approve of that thumbnail. :D 2 of my top 3.

Also, a belated happy 89th birthday to Tom Baker. <:-P

Impressive age 89 I am hoping Tom is well and makes an appearance in the 60th Anniversary.
    Russell T Davies blasts 'rubbish' new screenwriters who 'don't actually love TV'
    https://news.yahoo.com/russell-t-davies-blasts-rubbish-new-tv-writers-120105974.html
    I can picture Chibnall reading that, stammering and sweating profusely. :))
    According to a post I saw on Facebook, 36 years ago yesterday, Sylvester was unveiled as the new Doctor.

8699623538934e343a4a86a1a9f5d0516a1a8c6d.gifv
    According to a post I saw on Facebook, 36 years ago yesterday, Sylvester was unveiled as the new Doctor.

I still vividly remember watching his episodes, I would have been around 12 at the time. Hopefully he will have another cameo in the 60th.
    edited March 2023 Posts: 13,882

I still vividly remember watching his episodes, I would have been around 12 at the time. Hopefully he will have another cameo in the 60th.

I wish I could have seen them at the time. But I was too young, and when I did reach the age when I could have watched the show, it had already gone.

I hope Sylvester comes back for the 60th too, but if he doesn't, then I am ok with his scenes in Power Of The Doctor being his last onscreen appearance as his Doctor. I didn't expect Chibnall to 'get' Sylvester's Doctor, given how badly Chibnall handled the Doctor that he created for Jodie.
    The Moff returns
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/stephen-moffat-set-doctor-who-29427235

Not surprising, given his contributions to the show.

Funny, considering Sir Lenny played the Doctor once.

After Dustin the Turkey, I wouldn't be surprised if that Dalek wasn't next year's contestant for Great Britain.
    Gerard wrote: »

After Dustin the Turkey, I wouldn't be surprised if that Dalek wasn't next year's contestant for Great Britain.

I don't see why not, we've had worse.
    edited April 2023 Posts: 13,882
    We still have months to wait, so here's a surprising ranking of the Doctors costumes:
    https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2023/apr/26/the-best-and-worst-doctor-who-fashion-ranked