Remastered GoldenEye 007 for Xbox and Nintendo Switch Announced - Releases 27 January 2023

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Ryan wrote: »
    Well if Perfect Dark XBLA have online multiplayer that work on Xbox One and Series, I don't see why GoldenEye could not from a pure technical POV have the same thing...

Also if you could play too Xbox 360 games online on the newer Xbox fine, why new remaster GE would couldn't technicaly not be possible to let you play online while 2008 canceled one on Xbox 360 was going to get online multiplayer?

Because what we're getting is an enhanced port of the game versus a remaster. Perfect Dark XBLA (and the cancelled GoldenEye XBLA) were rebuilt from the ground up. Effectively what we're getting instead is a direct rip of the N64 version with a few technical enhancements.

Nintendo Switch's online multiplayer for the Nintendo 64 titles is built into the emulator. Not that Xbox couldn't do the same thing, but as of right now there isn't an equivalent option. They'd have to redevelop it for the port to function as an Xbox Live title.

Not to go off topic but Perfect Dark got just as much playtime out of me as a boy as GE and TWINE on the N64 did. Wasn't a new installment announced a few years ago?

Perfect Dark still gets a lot of playtime out of me, in fact I recently purchased it for my Series X.

Also indeed it was, in fact one of the developers recently came out and said the new game will be a sort of hybrid between the styles of James Bond and Jason Bourne, mixed with that futuristic touch. Hearing that made me extremely excited!

I had a "remastered" version on the 360 many years back, which is when I finally beat the game (that final boss always eluded me as a kid, I could never get past it). It was so satisfying. I even enjoyed PDZ for what it was; the instant action with bots was such a blast.

And wow, that's a great description that gets me even more excited too! Honestly, if it was top notch and had the same atmosphere of the original, I'd absolutely shell out for the newer Xbox consoles just to play it.

I already shelled out for the new Xbox because I sort of had this thought in the back of my mind that if a “rerelease” of Goldeneye ever were to happen, it’d be Xbox exclusive. I’m glad I made the right call in the end, because it’s been only about a week since I’ve gotten my Series X and now we have the official announcement. What makes this even more Bittersweet is that I also own a Switch as well, so I’ll be able to play both versions and be able to reap the benefits of both. I’m just happy to get a Bond video game release, even if it’s just Goldeneye N64 ported to newer consoles, the fact that 007 Gaming fans had to go over 10 years without any official releases was just sad really.

You made the smart decision then, my friend. Thankfully, for now, I'll get to enjoy the GE version on Switch - online MP should be nice but I'd love to eventually try out the Xbox version to see those improvements myself. I've debated a few times over the last couple of years getting an N64 again but I hear they run horribly on 4K setups, even with those pricy transition cables.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    Well if Perfect Dark XBLA have online multiplayer that work on Xbox One and Series, I don't see why GoldenEye could not from a pure technical POV have the same thing...

Also if you could play too Xbox 360 games online on the newer Xbox fine, why new remaster GE would couldn't technicaly not be possible to let you play online while 2008 canceled one on Xbox 360 was going to get online multiplayer?

Because what we're getting is an enhanced port of the game versus a remaster. Perfect Dark XBLA (and the cancelled GoldenEye XBLA) were rebuilt from the ground up. Effectively what we're getting instead is a direct rip of the N64 version with a few technical enhancements.

Nintendo Switch's online multiplayer for the Nintendo 64 titles is built into the emulator. Not that Xbox couldn't do the same thing, but as of right now there isn't an equivalent option. They'd have to redevelop it for the port to function as an Xbox Live title.

Not to go off topic but Perfect Dark got just as much playtime out of me as a boy as GE and TWINE on the N64 did. Wasn't a new installment announced a few years ago?

A new game is in development, but apparently it had some troubles with key personnel leaving and creative differences and all that. It seems things are back on track now with Crystal Dynamics helping out, so hopefully there's some concrete news soon. I still play and love the original and we are long overdue for a new entry! I actually started a replay to celebrate the GoldenEye news.
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Wait so no multiplayer for the series x version

This just gets better and better next you will tell me when I buy it daniel Craig will show up at my house kick me in the groin and leave lol

No online multiplayer (for now). The classic splitscreen multiplayer will be there in all its glory.
  • edited September 2022 Posts: 2,005

Perfect Dark still gets a lot of playtime out of me, in fact I recently purchased it for my Series X.

Also indeed it was, in fact one of the developers recently came out and said the new game will be a sort of hybrid between the styles of James Bond and Jason Bourne, mixed with that futuristic touch. Hearing that made me extremely excited!

I had a "remastered" version on the 360 many years back, which is when I finally beat the game (that final boss always eluded me as a kid, I could never get past it). It was so satisfying. I even enjoyed PDZ for what it was; the instant action with bots was such a blast.

And wow, that's a great description that gets me even more excited too! Honestly, if it was top notch and had the same atmosphere of the original, I'd absolutely shell out for the newer Xbox consoles just to play it.

I already shelled out for the new Xbox because I sort of had this thought in the back of my mind that if a “rerelease” of Goldeneye ever were to happen, it’d be Xbox exclusive. I’m glad I made the right call in the end, because it’s been only about a week since I’ve gotten my Series X and now we have the official announcement. What makes this even more Bittersweet is that I also own a Switch as well, so I’ll be able to play both versions and be able to reap the benefits of both. I’m just happy to get a Bond video game release, even if it’s just Goldeneye N64 ported to newer consoles, the fact that 007 Gaming fans had to go over 10 years without any official releases was just sad really.

You made the smart decision then, my friend. Thankfully, for now, I'll get to enjoy the GE version on Switch - online MP should be nice but I'd love to eventually try out the Xbox version to see those improvements myself. I've debated a few times over the last couple of years getting an N64 again but I hear they run horribly on 4K setups, even with those pricy transition cables.

I still have my N64 around, I love having the opportunity to go back and play Rogue Squadron and TWINE with my 3rd Party N64 Controllers, but with Goldeneye it’s actually I game I prefer on Emulators. Playing it with Mouse and Keyboard just elevates the whole experience for me. Heck I even enjoy the leaked 360 version more because the control schemes are much more modern. For me, the issue with Goldeneye on N64 is the controls, it’s an issue that doesn’t make the game unplayable for me, quite the opposite in fact. It’s just I tend to prefer much more modernized controls for shooters. It’s probably the biggest reason why I’ve found more enjoyment out of Agent Under Fire, and Nightfire than Goldeneye on the actual N64. As far the the 4K set up, I wouldn’t know since I sadly don’t own a 4K TV, but I wouldn’t be all that surprised. I use an AV converter to get my older consoles running on my Roku TV and they don’t tend to look like a major improvement in terms of Picture Quality.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Wait so no multiplayer for the series x version

This just gets better and better next you will tell me when I buy it daniel Craig will show up at my house kick me in the groin and leave lol

At least you know how to respond,
    "no no no to the right, to the right, to the right!!"

I still have my N64 around, I love having the opportunity to go back and play Rogue Squadron and TWINE with my 3rd Party N64 Controllers, but with Goldeneye it’s actually I game I prefer on Emulators. Playing it with Mouse and Keyboard just elevates the whole experience for me. Heck I even enjoy the leaked 360 version more because the control schemes are much more modern. For me, the issue with Goldeneye on N64 is the controls, it’s an issue that doesn’t make the game unplayable for me, quite the opposite in fact. It’s just I tend to prefer much more modernized controls for shooters. It’s probably the biggest reason why I’ve found more enjoyment out of Agent Under Fire, and Nightfire than Goldeneye on the actual N64. As far the the 4K set up, I wouldn’t know since I sadly don’t own a 4K TV, but I wouldn’t be all that surprised. I use an AV converter to get my older consoles running on my Roku TV and they don’t tend to look like a major improvement in terms of Picture Quality.

Do you not notice much input lag via a Roku TV? I've got one of those too and that's really the one thing keeping me from getting an N64; I don't mind if the quality's still rough, I just don't want the gameplay to suffer.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »

Do you not notice much input lag via a Roku TV? I've got one of those too and that's really the one thing keeping me from getting an N64; I don't mind if the quality's still rough, I just don't want the gameplay to suffer.

I don’t notice it that much if I’m being honest, the game seems to run perfectly fine, and so do some of my other N64 games.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    Emulation via Retroarch on the Xbox family of consoles is a pretty solid experience with high compatibility. That's how I did a replay of N64's TWINE a year or so ago. The game ran smoothly and playing it with an Xbox controller was fantastic.
  • Ryan wrote: »
    Emulation via Retroarch on the Xbox family of consoles is a pretty solid experience with high compatibility. That's how I did a replay of N64's TWINE a year or so ago. The game ran smoothly and playing it with an Xbox controller was fantastic.

Which Xbox were you using? I contemplated getting Retroarch for my Series X but then found out Microsoft has been banning people from their accounts for doing that
  • RyanRyan Canada

Which Xbox were you using? I contemplated getting Retroarch for my Series X but then found out Microsoft has been banning people from their accounts for doing that

Series X. I haven't heard of it being an issue myself but I haven't looked into it much surrounding it. Alternatively I've had a decent experience casting Mupen 64 to my TV from your smart device of choice.
    Is this coming out on x box one x as well
  • RyanRyan Canada
    Is this coming out on x box one x as well

Yes, it'll be available across the Xbox fleet. Also - if you own a copy of Rare Replay you will get it for free.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Unfortunately it looks like the Xbox version will not have online multiplayer; that's only the Switch version. Very sad.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    Unfortunately it looks like the Xbox version will not have online multiplayer; that's only the Switch version. Very sad.

The multiplayer player experience on the Switch Online N64 portal isn't great anyways. You can't do lobbies or play with just anybody - you can only set up a streamed/hosted match with others on your friends list. There's a noticeable drop in video quality and considerable lag if the host doesn't have a rock solid Internet connection.

I think what's important to note is that it's not really traditional Online multiplayer. It's just the in-game multiplayer being streamed to other consoles so you can play remotely with a couple friends.

So basically Xbox players need not feel like they're missing out on some budding lobbies of eager GoldenEye players.
    Aaah, interesting, thanks for the info. That's too bad.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    Aaah, interesting, thanks for the info. That's too bad.

Yeah it does feel like a missed opportunity. Still, it's a huge step of forward momentum that this release is even happening at all. It'll be nice to not have to use an emulator or dust off the old N64.

And we'll just have to invite some friends over for some old fashioned couch multiplayer!
    When will it come out
  • RyanRyan Canada
    When will it come out

Nothing confirmed yet. The rumour mill based on Nintendo's release schedule suggests before year end.
  • LolyfanyLolyfany London
    edited November 2022 Posts: 1
    There have been rumours about working on GoldenEye 007 for quite a long time. And I'm not surprised that They were confirmed. That Microsoft has announced the return of the cult shooter GoldenEye 007 (1997) on the website ข่าวเกม. And I think it's great that modern players can get acquainted with the classics. The updated version of GoldenEye 007 will offer improved control and increased frame rate, add 4K support and achievements, and I can say that this is what many gamers are waiting for.
    Just too bad the multiplayer wasn’t flushed out.

Welcome!
    After the successful Mario 64 and Zelda: Ocarina of Time decompilation projects by the fan community (which provided the basis for PC ports), more decompilation efforts are in progress. Given its popularity, it's not surprising that GoldenEye is among the games bring decompiled. Last time I checked, that project was halfway through. It's extremely likely we'll see a PC port of GE within the next few years. If it's anything like Mario, we'll be able to play the game in its original form, as well as customized with, for example, HD textures. I wouldn't be surprised either if network capabilities were implemented.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia

It's currently the first game listed on Nintendo Australia's Nintendo 64 – Nintendo Switch Online upcoming games section.
    I am currently playing Doom 64 in anticipation of goldeneye 64
  • SilvermothSilvermoth Australia
    Yeah well. Can’t help with the legal issues but at least it seems like they’re getting fixed
    How exciting!
    Wonderful!

Just in time for my birthday. Must have a few friends over to crowd around the TV in the basement...
    All I can say is they better ban Oddjob from the online multiplayer, or things will be wild…
  • I’ve been waiting for this!
  • Exciting , it’s the first “new” Bond video game release in over 10 years.