Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

mtm wrote: »
    It’s possible, there’s a couple I was utterly convinced by: I remember being taken in by Peter Sarsgaard in An Education. But yeah, unusual.

It's extremely rare. And an American playing a Brit is kind of a tired trope nowadays.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Is it? Feels like it happens more the other way around; half the American superheroes seem to be British a lot of the time :D
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited January 2023 Posts: 2,928
    Sigourney Weaver and Jennifer Ehle do good English accents - but they're half-English, so they've got a head start, I guess!
    Venutius wrote: »
    Sigourney Weaver and Jennifer Erhle do good English accents - but they're half-English, so they've got a head start, I guess!

I guess it just comes down to the actor when it comes to accent. Apparently Sam Worthington, despite having English parents, couldn’t actually do the accent for his Bond audition. https://www.joblo.com/sam-worthington-details-awful-james-bond-audition/amp/
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    You have to admire his honesty ; I think Chris Hemsworth could be an outstanding Bond but I don’t know if he could tackle the accent.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 2023 Posts: 14,951
    talos7 wrote: »
    You have to admire his honesty ; I think Chris Hemsworth could be an outstanding Bond but I don’t know if he could tackle the accent.

Yeah he's done British a few times (Rush, Thor, Men in Black) and it's always pretty bad! :) I remember that Netflix action film he did being a real relief: he got to be Aussie in it and it was so much better for it.
    Sigourney Weaver and Jennifer Ehle do good English accents - but they're half-English, so they've got a head start, I guess!

I must admit I had no idea about Ehle: I thought that was her natural accent. I suppose I did think it was odd that she basically disappeared for the last twenty years! :)
    I don't think I've heard Weaver go English, but I didn't realise she was half English either. I guess Gillian Anderson is another in a way; although she speaks with an English accent now I could have sworn she spoke with an American one twenty years ago!
    talos7 wrote: »

True. Worthington’s not my favourite actor but it is interesting to read. Similar to what Henry Cavill has said about his Bond auditions. Personally I can’t imagine how nerve wracking such an audition process would be.

I guess it also shows just how much Craig’s confidence and naturalness in the part stood out. I mean, we hear stories of failed Bond candidates on and off - how they couldn’t nail the accent, how they couldn’t project the charm, their problems with costume, getting into shape, or simply getting into the role etc. Craig seems to have shown up (according to BB) to his first audition with cuff links that weren’t done up, and going from the footage we do have of his auditions he was clearly in need of a haircut and shave at the time.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I’ll be very disappointment if Hemsworth was even considered. I don’t want an actor who is currently overexposed and is just a name rather than the best actor for the job. I want an actor who can become Bond not a movie star who’ll make Bond become them.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited January 2023 Posts: 2,928
    I must admit I had no idea about Ehle: I thought that was her natural accent. I suppose I did think it was odd that she basically disappeared for the last twenty years! :)
    I don't think I've heard Weaver go English, but I didn't realise she was half English either. I guess Gillian Anderson is another in a way; although she speaks with an English accent now I could have sworn she spoke with an American one twenty years ago!
    Yes, Gillian Anderson's another good one. I heard she lived here til she was about 11 and when her family moved back to the US, the kids at school thought she was English and took the mick out of her accent!
    It's a weird one with Ehle, because when I first saw her, and for several years after, it was only in things where she'd got an English accent - and then when I saw some interview where she used her actual accent I was totally wrongfooted: 'what's she speaking like that for?!' I had no idea she was American.
    Sigourney did an English accent in some film with Mel Gibson decades ago. I've not seen it since the '90s, so I could be misremembering, but I was impressed at the time by how well she did it. Not to diminish the quality of it, but I wonder to what extent Sigourney and Ehle were imitating their mothers' accents? Weird to think that Sam Worthington can't do it even though both his parents are English, though...
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited January 2023 Posts: 13,012
    Sigourney did an English accent in some film with Mel Gibson decades ago. I've not seen it since the '90s, so I could be misremembering, but I was impressed at the time by how well she did it. Not to diminish the quality of it, but I wonder to what extent Sigourney and Ehle were imitating their mothers' accents? Weird to think that Sam Worthington can't do it even though both his parents are English, though...
    1707271000255_l.jpg
  • edited January 2023 Posts: 784
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    https://www.msn.com/en-au/entertainment/movies/25-actors-we-want-to-see-play-james-bond/ss-AAYVCzd?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=7b039fc635154a5abc88a79826d4706b#image=1

At least the author of this piece has included some, potential actors on this list.
    Along with plenty of the usual silliness that often goes with an article like this.
    For amusement only.
    Benny wrote: »
    https://www.msn.com/en-au/entertainment/movies/25-actors-we-want-to-see-play-james-bond/ss-AAYVCzd?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=7b039fc635154a5abc88a79826d4706b#image=1

At least the author of this piece has included some, potential actors on this list.
    Along with plenty of the usual silliness that often goes with an article like this.
    For amusement only.

Some legitimate, most ludicrous.
    Is it? Feels like it happens more the other way around; half the American superheroes seem to be British a lot of the time :D

Because British actors by and large can take an American accent more easily. Bit the American actor playing a Brit has been overdone in the past and often ridiculed (Dick van Dyke, Kevin Costner).
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 2023 Posts: 14,951
    Trailer featuring occasional candidate Jack Lowden for a new BBC show about the Brink's-Mat Robbery.

I’ve gone back and forth on Lowden. At one point he was one of my main picks, but nowadays I’m not I’m sold on him for Bond. I think he’s a great actor though.

On a similar note, I recently watched Aftersun with Paul Mescal. Not an actor I’ve thought about a lot for Bond (although I know he’s been mentioned a few times here). Great performance, and hard to believe he’s only in his mid-20s (for context he plays a 31 year old who has issues with adulthood, which makes that ability to project that world weariness/maturity even more impressive). I can definitely see him being approached to audition.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes, I like Lowden but I'm not convinced he's Bond either. Mescal I prefer.
    Lowden is still high on my list.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Beat me over the head with a hammer, but I just Enola Holmes 2 and I kind of see Cavill doing Bond, after all. Can't really explain it, but after seeing his slightly ridiculous Sherlock Holmes, I could see him doing three quick "I'm better, hotter and smarter than all of you, so get out of my way"-uncomplicated hero type Bonds... Just pure popcorn as a palette cleanser and after that you get an actual actor for the role again.

Plus, I believe there is some subconscious lobbying for him as Bond in that film. At one point an Asian man with a bowler hat who doesn't have a single line and AFAIK doesn't appear in any other scene joins the fray to fight Cavill and there is a point where a character (not Sherlock) is described as a "blunt instrument" and the camera cuts to Cavill and lingers maybe a millisecond longer than it needs to.
    The best English accent I've heard was Phillip Weatherly in the Sky show Strike Back. I had no idea he was American
  • edited January 2023 Posts: 175
    He's hardly ever mentioned here (and when he is it's usually by me), but if we're talking about potential candidates appearing in newly dropped trailers, here is Ben Aldridge with one of the main roles in M. Night Shyamalan's new movie Knock at the Cabin:

I first saw him in Fleabag. He can do comedy well, and it looks like he gets a chance to show off his acting chops in this movie. It's also interesting that someone just brought up Enola Holmes 2. The man that made both Enola Holmes movies is English director Harry Bradbeer, who also directed Fleabag and Killing Eve. I think Aldridge/Bradbeer/Waller-Bridge could be a good trio for a more fun, escapist, humorous Bond.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    cooperman2 wrote: »
    The best English accent I've heard was Phillip Weatherly in the Sky show Strike Back. I had no idea he was American

Yeah he's the other one I was thinking of. Truly flawless. I think he's half-English or something.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Philip Winchester had such a flawless accent because he moved over to the UK when he was twenty or so, and had to have a good English accent for theatre roles. He simply put the time in because he had to. Most male American lead actors don’t care enough to spend all that time getting the accent right, imo; I’ve heard plenty of American actresses do good English accents, and I think it’s because they are less confident of success and put more effort in.

If you want to see a group of American actors really making an effort on the accent front, watch Ginger and Rosa (2012).
  • Nicholas Hoult could be decent bet
    Nicholas Hoult could be decent bet

Yes he would.
    Trailer featuring occasional candidate Jack Lowden for a new BBC show about the Brink's-Mat Robbery.

Looks like a good series, my kind of series in any case. Not sure about Lowden, but that's a good vehicle for him to be assessed.
    Univex wrote: »
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    One thing with ATJ is I don't know how he would look as Bond. Surely he'd be clean shaven but would he have Brosnan style longer hair or shorter Craig style hair?

If I'm honest I think he looks a bit odd with short hair, not to be rude but he doesn't look British, he almost looks American with short hair and no beard. He's a talented actor but i don't look at him and see a potential Bond

I think the longer hair and comma would work for him.
    Yes, absolutely!
    Nicholas Hoult could be decent bet

Bet for what ? The part played by Rowan Atkinson in NSNA ?
  • edited January 2023 Posts: 784
    Big if true

• zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    He's hardly ever mentioned here (and when he is it's usually by me), but if we're talking about potential candidates appearing in newly dropped trailers, here is Ben Aldridge with one of the main roles in M. Night Shyamalan's new movie Knock at the Cabin:

I first saw him in Fleabag. He can do comedy well, and it looks like he gets a chance to show off his acting chops in this movie. It's also interesting that someone just brought up Enola Holmes 2. The man that made both Enola Holmes movies is English director Harry Bradbeer, who also directed Fleabag and Killing Eve. I think Aldridge/Bradbeer/Waller-Bridge could be a good trio for a more fun, escapist, humorous Bond.

I am reminded of a young Roger Moore here (American actor Jonathan Groff) :-)
    4o2kfFl.png
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Harris Dickinson in the new 'See How They Run', looking a bit more of a candidate possibly..?
    (looks like loads of fun)

FVOgLLPUcAIESCu?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Yes, just saw Dickinson in The Triangle of Sadness. Definitely a star on the rise.