The Petrolhead Lounge

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I'll have a watch of that. I must admit I started watching it a couple of weeks ago and stopped before the interview because I thought the cars in his garage were pretty boring! :)
    The Chris Harris one is great though.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    edited January 2023 Posts: 2,341
    Hyundai Ioniq 6 Review

I would buy one.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Hyundai Ioniq 6 Review

I would buy one.

This for me is what the electric cars seem to be about. just a bunch of screens to look at, some buttons here and there in an uncomfortable and sterile setting. 'there's plenty of headroom'-'i'm a midget'. (ok, he said he's 5'11, but that's hardly tall now is it?) .
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    As I may have said before ("nooooooo....!") I'll start worrying about buying an electric car, or rather any car at all, when both of our present cars have expired their lifetime. With the remaining "miles" we drive now (maybe a total of 8,000 kilometers - for two cars! - a year...as compared to about 30,000+ kilometers a year before the pandemic and "home office" and most recently my retirement, it makes sense neither for us nor the environment to dump our good old, well-functioning diesels (or sell them for someone else to continue driving them) in order to buy a new car (electric or not) that won't compensate for the environmental costs of its production for the rest of our joint lifetime. And my wife is still below 60. We'll just wait and see how long those cars will last.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    edited January 2023 Posts: 4,311
    I agree, that's the most sensible thing to do. If you have a modern car (preferably Diesel because of fuel efficiency) with newest vehicle emission standard (i.e. Euro 6d), then driving that for as long as possible is the way to go.

Once you buy electric, you should ideally be in a position to charge from your own photovoltaic panels, because then you know for certain that it's 100% renewable energy.
    I did not know this study existed: MINI Superleggera

Why was this never built? I would gladly drive one...

Mini-Superleggera-Vision-Concept-front-three-quarter-turn.jpg
    04-mini-superleggera-vision-concept-1.jpg
    prototipos-olvidados-mini-superleggera-vision.jpg
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Yes, that's really a nice little roadster.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 2023 Posts: 14,861
    I remember that and was sad they wouldn't make it. The motor museum at Gaydon has a couple of 60s Mini coupe concepts too, they were nice as well. Here's one by Michelotti:

75ad6b876aab86dab4818f42bf6e44a6.jpg

Pretty cool little thing.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    zebrafish wrote: »
    I did not know this study existed: MINI Superleggera

Why was this never built? I would gladly drive one...

Mini-Superleggera-Vision-Concept-front-three-quarter-turn.jpg
    04-mini-superleggera-vision-concept-1.jpg
    prototipos-olvidados-mini-superleggera-vision.jpg

If I’m not mistaken, our beloved DB5 also had Superleggera coachwork.
    Noisy Electric Car anyone ?
    Aston Martin DBS 770 Ultimate

Nice wheels
    NEW 2023 BMW 8 Series
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    That's lovely.
    I must say that this is indeed the best-looking BMW coming out of Munich for a long time. I hope the time of the oversized grille "kidneys" is finally over. This car looks great, especially from the side and the rear, but the front is ok as well. I just wonder where they are going to put a mandatory front license/registration plate.

That being said, it is likely to be an anachronism either way these days. But I don't have to worry, since even if I had a few million bucks to spare (I don't), I wouldn't spend a six-figure sum on a car like this. As much as I like its looks (and I haven't said that about any BMW for the last fifteen years or so).
    Designwise, this is almost Ferrari territory! Thumbs up, there is hope after all for BMW it seems.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    That BMW is a concept car from 2017. They already built the production version, it's the 8 Series that's on sale right now......
    Oops!
    If that's so, they goofed.
    NEW 2024 Audi e-tron Luxury

Nice car but overpriced at $230000 plus aud.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 2023 Posts: 14,861
    I saw another one of those a few days ago parked up. They look incredible.

Parked on the other side of the road was an Audi 200, Living Daylights style! You didn't see many of them even at the time.
    mtm wrote: »
    I saw another one of those a few days ago parked up. They look incredible.

Parked on the other side of the road was an Audi 200, Living Daylights style! You didn't see many of them even at the time.

Wow that’s cool, never thought they’d be so rare, one sees Audi’s everywhere :p
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I have only ever seen 1 Audi 100/200, and it was a 3rd generation 100 Avant, in the same colour as the one in TLD.
    edited February 2023 Posts: 4,311
    You know the name... the Wiesmann Thunderball

2-format2020.jpg

Yesterday, I saw a matte grey Aston Martin in Paris, at the crossing of Boulevard Saint Michel and Boulevard Saint Germain. Didn't get the model, but it wasn't a Rapide (two doors only).
    This morning, while waiting for the bus, I saw a white old-timer Citroën Traction Avant passing by. Apparently, judging by what I saw on its door, it was from a company that specializes in renting old cars for weddings and the like :

https://www.paris-automedon-services.com/
  • edited March 2023 Posts: 5,772
    Today, on the parking of my local VolksWagen dealership, I saw a Jaguar XK8 4.2 liters convertible :

les-lignes-de-la-jaguar-sont-pures-meme-avec-une-capote-les-305-ch-sont-largement-suffisants-pour-cruiser-sur-les-routes-du-bord-de-mer-photo-dr-1604568585.jpg

Reminds me a bit of the E-Type, somehow.
    Well, this model came out about 1995, and I always thought of it as a copy...or make that homage...to the E-Type. But not nearly as aesthetic, graceful, slender, classic...you name it. Still I wouldn't mind having one. But I guess it won't ever happen, and reasonably so.
    To be honest, I have had a look at the market a while ago and find the GT very attractive. After problems with the nikasil-lined cylinder bores in US-exported cars, Jaguar developed an improved, slightly larger 4,2 L V8 which has proven immensely reliable. Mileages beyond 300 K are quite frequent, which makes it a very attractive buy if you think you might enjoy the experience of a stylish European V8 with a matching 6-gear automatic and enlarged break discs.

Prices are still moderate, as the "youngtimer" scene has not yet picked up scent and many of the later models (the ones with the type of headlights in the picture in @Gerard 's post, manufactured between 2002 and 2005) are still with their first owners. Also, Coupés are cheaper than convertibles and have more torsional rigidity, making wear and tear from the chassis less likely.

What got me interested in this model was the surprise how good it looked when it first came out, even though it certainly tried to update the looks of the E-Type. By now, it certainly stands for itself. And then this guy bought one and showed the world that it is realistic - and can be fun - to own one.

Personally I think that’s a gorgeous car, with lots of curves and a combination of sportiness and elegance. All of those aspects have become very rare, most sportscars these days are overly aggressive and a bit too blocky for my taste. The DB7 for instance is even prettier, I think, also combining a classy look with a sporty design.