What Directors Should Helm A Bond Film?

Comments

• slide_99slide_99 USA
    I'm rooting for Nolan but I hope he doesn't bring Hoytema or ATJ with him.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Would EON let the director of the next movie actually have a say in the casting of the actor who'll be playing Bond for the next decade?
    M_Blaise wrote: »
    Kojak007 wrote: »
    I hope the Nolan rumor is fake, I don't think he would be a good choice, especially if they want to go in a new and maybe lighter direction. I would prefer directors who work both in film and TV, like Mark Mylod or David Mackenzie.

Mark Mylod? Interesting, haven't seen The Menu yet.

It's very good. You know, appetizers, main course, dinner...oh- the FILM !??! Yes, that's very good, too.
  • edited January 2023 Posts: 1,545
    If a Bond film were a Nolan film, would some or all the Nolan regulars be in it ? Among others, certain ones come quickly to mind: Michael Caine, Tom Hardy. No, not for the part of Bond. (Please recall Hardy never portrayed the lead with Nolan.) As I've noted before - too short, and unless he'd want to play a more upbeat Bond then he'd, what, get even MORE brooding and intense than we've had for 5 films ? Time for a tonal shift. BTW, Hardy already played a spy/agent part like the one I mused about - ie, a non-brooding Bond - in This Means War, in which he played a CIA guy in a Rom-Com from a guy who does not generally do fluff pieces. OK, this note is all over the place. At any rate - a Nolan Bond would be fine, I'm sure, so long as it remains more Bondian than being a brain-twister.

The snow-bound OHMSS-like portion of Inception shows Nolan can direct well a straight-up action thriller....but would he WANT to do that ? Well, people known for tough, hard, "serious" fare also can enjoy and produce very good "lighter" entertainments and those are fine artistic accomplishments, too.

I've watched The Menu now and though I think it's not the work of a master filmmaker it's probably enough for a Bond film. Although Mylod's previous films would not help him be considered.
    Venutius wrote: »
    Would EON let the director of the next movie actually have a say in the casting of the actor who'll be playing Bond for the next decade?

Well, going from Martin Campbell's contributions to the audition process of CR, presumably yes. But ultimately it's the producers who have the final say and the most power over it.
    edited January 2023 Posts: 2,895
    Yes, indeed. According to Campbell himself, 'it took me a little while to see it. Daniel's acting was terrific, but he wasn't a pretty boy. Barbara was adamantly in favour of him.' Looks like EON were going to have Craig, even if Campbell wasn't fully on board with it. Difference this time is that there doesn't seem to be any one standout candidate that EON are 'adamantly in favour' of, so it could well be a bit more of a collaborative choice. Interesting times.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Yes, indeed. According to Campbell himself, 'it took me a little while to see it. Daniel's acting was terrific, but he wasn't a pretty boy. Barbara was adamantly in favour of him.' Looks like EON were going to have Craig, even if Campbell wasn't fully on board with it. Difference this time is that there doesn't seem to be any one standout candidate that EON are 'adamantly in favour' of, so it could well be a bit more of a collaborative choice. Interesting times.

Well, there could be someone who Barbara/ Eon is really keen on but the process has to play out. For the record, I do not think it is, or will be , ATJ.

Damn, to be a fly on the wall of the inner circle of Eon.
  • slide_99 wrote: »
    I'm rooting for Nolan but I hope he doesn't bring Hoytema or ATJ with him.

I used to be really hot on the Nolan idea but have cooled on it over the years. The cumulative effect of the heavy Nolan influence in the Craig era and the Bond influence within his own filmography makes me feel a bit like I've already seen his Bond movie a few times over. That said, if he's the choice, it's still a very strong one and I'll be fully onboard and engaged.

Hoye Van Hoytema... ehhh I don't know. Didn't love his work on Spectre. Frankly the cinematography concern is more with Nolan. The quality of cinematography in his films are always top notch but aesthetically it's a little flat and muted, which works for his films but for Bond I think glossy and rich colours, so it would be interesting to see what his Bond film would look like. I would be OVER THE MOON if he brought Ludwig Goransson along, though. Not only would he make a great score, but his background producing pop and hip-hop would make for a great title song that is integrated with the score (i.e. The Plan from Tenet).

ATJ, as I stated in another thread, doesn't necessarily get me excited but I wouldn't write him off because he is the right age, has an appropriate look, and is a solid actor. He's also a bit of a blank slate and a chameleon so I'd really have no idea what to expect from him. I could easily see him catching us all off guard and blowing us away and I could just as easily see him not working at all.
  • SilvermothSilvermoth Australia
    I recently saw The Menu and I think Mark Mylod would be amazing for this. Classy but also with a good sense of humour.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    Can anyone vouch for this guy? I would dismiss this as fan speculation, however he seems too rational. If what he is saying is true then we may be getting a 2024 release date and Christopher Nolan directing the reboot. It does make sense as Nolan has been after the job for a while. I would imagine that he has a unique take which involves some time-shifting narrative. I know @peter has been looking into what is said in the video. Judge for yourselves below.

I think that it is more likely that Eon will hire a director who is less of an A-lister and who has a resume similar to Cary Fukunaga. Basically, a director with a strong background in film/TV and who is very much on the rise. I'm thinking of people along the lines of the following names:

Bump for refresher
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Bond 26 'rummor'. Guess this means we might get two Ms in the next film. Like in Skyfall.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited February 2023 Posts: 17,727
    QBranch wrote: »
    Bond 26 'rummor'. Guess this means we might get two Ms in the next film. Like in Skyfall.

Always a sign of quality information along with "Flemming".

"What is real" 8-}
    Something tells me Nolan is indeed helming Bond 26 it just feels right this time… this also means that and this is just a guess if ATJ impresses Nolan he will likely be our Bond… which I was hoping if we got Nolan we would get Hardy but I feel Hardy’s ship has sadly sailed…

I don’t have an issue with Nolan but I do hope the Action is done by a second unit as the only action scene I loved in his trilogy of Batman films are the ones from Batman Begins…. And even those were out shown by even Snyder in Batman V Superman…. Like I said if it turns out to be Nolan and ATJ for bond 26 I wouldn’t be shocked

Also keep Nolan away from titling the film because it’s going to be titled James Bond or 007 or just Bond and all 3 titles are super bland
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Something tells me Nolan is indeed helming Bond 26 it just feels right this time… this also means that and this is just a guess if ATJ impresses Nolan he will likely be our Bond… which I was hoping if we got Nolan we would get Hardy but I feel Hardy’s ship has sadly sailed…

I don’t have an issue with Nolan but I do hope the Action is done by a second unit as the only action scene I loved in his trilogy of Batman films are the ones from Batman Begins…. And even those were out shown by even Snyder in Batman V Superman…. Like I said if it turns out to be Nolan and ATJ for bond 26 I wouldn’t be shocked

Also keep Nolan away from titling the film because it’s going to be titled James Bond or 007 or just Bond and all 3 titles are super bland

I have this feeling too. The timing feels right finally. Starting fresh would allow him to really leave his mark on Bond. I also think they are going to go big name director over actor to draw interest. Nolan also likes to do things for real which lines up with what EON like to do for their set pieces. I just hope we get some confirmation this year about Bond 26, whether Director, Actor or possibly even a start date for production.
    What are the chances of EON giving a one-time director any say in the decision about who'll play Bond for the next decade, though?
    What are the chances of EON giving a one-time director any say in the decision about who'll play Bond for the next decade, though?

But I don’t think Nolan is a one time director I think/fear we are going to get a Trilogy from nolan\ ATJ ( god I just want to type Hardy)
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    The stars do certainly seem aligned for Nolan…
    There’s a lot of reasons Nolan “makes sense,” and yes likely in the form of a trilogy.
    I still am trying to wrap my head around a Nolan trilogy

Of course if we get titles similar to what we have gotten (so not Bond or 007 etc) I would be ok with it of course of the Batman directors I kind of would prefer Matt Reeves over Nolan to direct to be honest but that’s just me
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    If we get a Nolan trilogy, please let it be...

Zero Minus
    Zero
    Zero Plus
    Interesting how conversations go before they announce a completely different director.
    Interesting how conversations go before they announce a completely different director.

And what do you know lol?
    edited February 2023 Posts: 2,895
    OK, I can see the appeal for some fans, but...EON starting a new Bond's run by committing to a trilogy over a six- or seven-year period with one director and an untested actor? Hmm, I'm not too sure about that one.

As much as you do interestingly.
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland
    OK, I can see the appeal for some fans, but...EON starting a new Bond's run by committing to a trilogy over a six- or seven-year period with one director and an untested actor? Hmm, I'm not too sure about that one.
    Wouldn't necessarily have to be a trilogy. Nolan's done standalones - even Batman Begins works perfectly well as a one shot.

As much as you do interestingly.

I hear a rumor I react I am not saying Nolan will be it but the people who are saying that seem legit so I am reacting if it turns out to be someone else great I will react to that
  • I like Nolan as a director a lot but the last couple of films have been Nolan-lite so I’d appreciate a bit of a change up.

My choice for director is Martin Campbell but I know he’s getting up there in age.
  • StarkStark France

Nolan has already said in an interview that he no longer wants to do a trilogy.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    It may mean nothing, but I find the shared use of the word reinvention/reinventing interesting.

Nolan

"A Bond movie, definitely. I’ve spoken to the producers Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson over the years. I deeply love the character, and I’m always excited to see what they do with it. Maybe one day that would work out. You’d have to be needed, if you know what I mean. It has to need reinvention; it has to need you."

Broccoli

"There isn’t a script and we can’t come up with one until we decide how we’re going to approach the next film because, really, it’s a reinvention of Bond. We’re reinventing who he is and that takes time. I’d say that filming is at least two years away."