Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

I find Norton utterly bland as well.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    talos7 wrote: »
    Norton could not be more bland.

Agreed. Not a fan.
    He doesn’t say ‘this guy has potential to be Bond’ too me.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    And here's Norton now in the battle to be bond.

Next James Bond odds slashed for Happy Valley's James Norton to crush Henry Cavill hopes
    https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/1722560/Next-James-Bond-odds-James-Norton-Happy-Valley-Henry-Cavill-Tom-Hardy-bookie-bet

I would take anything from Express.co.uk with a mine of salt, but Norton looks like he would struggle to crush a packet of crisps (never mind the chances of a Bond 'rival').
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I liked Norton as the conman in Rogue Agent, but funnily enough it was the clincher as to why he should never be Bond despite his name popping up regularly throughout the years. He's not as bad as people make him out to be, but he's absolutely not Bond.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited January 2023 Posts: 2,895
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Pierce! Pierce, what can you tell the new James Bond?
    - Break a leg. Break two. *shrugs*
    Excellent - I can picture that, clearly. :))
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Bond is taking some time off to do a play in London. Very 2023.

• George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    edited January 2023 Posts: 539

I think he's probably out of the running now, being 40 this year. A shame as he's been my top choice for the last few.
  • edited January 2023 Posts: 6,665

I think he's probably out of the running now, being 40 this year. A shame as he's been my top choice for the last few.

Oh, Bond and Gala Brand there!

Unfortunately, very unfortunately, no. They want younger. Bah, money and statistics rule everything nowadays (always have, but even more so today, I'd say, with the access to people's opinions through social media). What a shame. What I'd give for a standalone James Bond film with an actor with the literary Bond's age and seasoning. The 42 year old loner archetype, mildly seasoned and slightly cynical of the world, waiting for a chance for escapism and a bigger dragon to slay. Alas, not gonna happen.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 2023 Posts: 14,861

Bond is in his mid-thirties in Fleming's Moonraker so you're probably right.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    But then again…

From Casting Director Debbie McWilliams

” Initially she was looking for “young actors, much younger than Daniel was at the time, because it was about him becoming James Bond. I went to all the English-speaking territories and I met lots of people, and a lot of them have become very famous.” However, when it was decided that Bond should be young, but not that young, “we went up a level age wise, and it brought in a different group of people.”.
  • edited January 2023 Posts: 784
    If micromanaged he wouldn’t be the worst choice. He still looks young.
  • edited January 2023 Posts: 2,742
    Being 40 won’t necessarily make a difference or rule anyone out. That’s still 10 or more years of being able to play the part. It’s the same as height - there’s a bit of leeway involved and doesn’t mean an actor has to be over 5’10 or whatever random number. They won’t turn away a promising candidate they like and can give them what they want because of arbitrarily strict criteria. It’s not how casting for these sorts of roles works in practice.
    Univex wrote: »

Unfortunately, very unfortunately, no. They want younger. Bah, money and statistics rule everything nowadays (always have, but even more so today, I'd say, with the access to people's opinions through social media). What a shame. What I'd give for a standalone James Bond film with an actor with the literary Bond's age and seasoning. The 42 year old loner archetype, mildly seasoned and slightly cynical of the world, waiting for a chance for escapism and a bigger dragon to slay. Alas, not gonna happen.

Someone corrects me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Bond in the novel Moonraker depuct
    But then again…

” Initially she was looking for “young actors, much younger than Daniel was at the time, because it was about him becoming James Bond. I went to all the English-speaking territories and I met lots of people, and a lot of them have become very famous.” However, when it was decided that Bond should be young, but not that young, “we went up a level age wise, and it brought in a different group of people.”.
    Yes, but at 38 he was still the youngest Bond since Lazenby and the third youngest Bond after Connery.
    Ludovico wrote: »

But then again…

Yes, but at 38 he was still the youngest Bond since Lazenby and the third youngest Bond after Connery.

True, but the point being that nothing is set in stone,
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    I think Turner, at one point, was genuinely in the running, and I don't think anything concrete has happened to objectively rule him out. He looks good for 40 and will age well. I wouldn't be mad if he gets it, I hope he's at least screentested. He looks good.
    Kind words all around lads. Let's hope he at least gets a screentest, or perhaps already had one... Apart from that, I want some credible(!) news.
    LucknFate wrote: »
    I think Turner, at one point, was genuinely in the running, and I don't think anything concrete has happened to objectively rule him out. He looks good for 40 and will age well. I wouldn't be mad if he gets it, I hope he's at least screentested. He looks good.

I agree, I do think he will age well and should still be in the conversation.
    Didn’t Turner himself say that he wasn’t particularly interested in a high profile role like Bond though? That’s what I vaguely remember at least, and I suspect he’s probably said a few non-descript things on and off when asked about this role (he’s been a rumoured contender for a while now - not just in the last 2 years but I mean after SP).

I mean, some actors may simply not be interested in the part, believe it or not. Turner doesn’t do much for me personally though.
    edited January 2023 Posts: 1,318
    007HallY wrote: »
    Didn’t Turner himself say that he wasn’t particularly interested in a high profile role like Bond though? That’s what I vaguely remember at least, and I suspect he’s probably said a few non-descript things on and off when asked about this role (he’s been a rumoured contender for a while now - not just in the last 2 years but I mean after SP).

I mean, some actors may simply not be interested in the part, believe it or not. Turner doesn’t do much for me personally though.

No he didn't, he just doesn't want to talk about Bond in the media. Potential candidates should never talk about it, as it could be their immediate demise.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I think he said something along the lines of not wanting to be more famous or take big roles, something like that. Probably last year when he was promoting that TV show he did. I don't think he specifically mentioned Bond, but it sounded like it wouldn't be the sort of role he'd be massively interested in.
    mtm wrote: »

I think he said something along the lines of not wanting to be more famous or take big roles, something like that. Probably last year when he was promoting that TV show he did. I don't think he specifically mentioned Bond, but it sounded like it wouldn't be the sort of role he'd be massively interested in.

Yes, that’s what I’m remembering. Just didn’t sound like he particularly wanted to do anything too high profile... certainly not Bond. Again, it’s really not uncommon for a lot of actors.

But then again short of living inside Turner’s head it’s really unknowable. That was just the impression I got.
    edited January 2023 Posts: 1,318
    Gents, it's called playing the game right. Hard to get, more or less. Does anyone have the link to the interview, because I remember he was very vague in his wording.
    Dude did tango because Thomas Crown, of course he wants to do it.

Had he been a disco dancer, the cat would have been in the bag.

Ludovico wrote: »

But then again…

True, but the point being that nothing is set in stone,

Of course, but what I mean is they still went for sensibly younger. And there's one difference between 2005 and now which I think tend to favour a younger actor: the gap between Bond films has dramatically increased. So my bet is that we will have someone at least as young as Craig was upon casting.
  • edited January 2023 Posts: 658
    RDJ was 42 in Iron Man 1. I like those odds
    RDJ was 42 in Iron Man 1. I like them odds

Different character.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 2023 Posts: 14,861
    mtm wrote: »

Yes, that’s what I’m remembering. Just didn’t sound like he particularly wanted to do anything too high profile... certainly not Bond. Again, it’s really not uncommon for a lot of actors.

But then again short of living inside Turner’s head it’s really unknowable. That was just the impression I got.

Yeah very true, who knows what he'd do. Sope Disiru made much more positive noises when he was asked about it, and I don't think that's likely to rule anyone out. It's perfectly possible that he was being entirely truthful and doesn't want a role like that. I think it's just when you start promoting your latest thing on the basis of 'I might be Bond' and steering the conversion onto it (looking at you, Sam Heughan) then they might take umbrage.
  • StarkStark France
    I don't understand why some consider Cavill "too old". With a film every 3 years he can easily make 5-6.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Stark wrote: »
    I don't understand why some consider Cavill "too old". With a film every 3 years he can easily make 5-6.

I'd be elated if he was the next Bond but I have to keep realistic with the type of Bond they're looking for. Plus, I'll be blown away if they could manage to consistently release installments every three years from here on out.
    @JeremyBondon

I am curious as to what you liked about Austin Butler besides his looks. His Elvis performance (non-musical scenes) didn’t merit any awards in my book. I found the film unwatchable partly because of him.