The PIERCE BROSNAN Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    thedove wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    When he wore the mask did they do that thing they do in the Iron Man movies where they show his face in a black void to see his face under the mask?

He doesn't, sadly, but his time in the mask is fairly limited overall, I thought.

Agreed, and they did allow him to do voiceover when in the mask which was really smart as I love the timbre of his voice. The dramatic battle at the end he was unmasked which gave the fight more poignancy and gravitas. He was a stand-out in the movie for me.

My only knock was the amount of CGI really made the movie feel fake and turned out any real sense of danger for me. I thought all the actors did their best and many had some interesting story arcs. I would not watch a Hawkman spin-off, the 2 junior heroes had some nice scenes together and with the vets. The Rock was The Rock!

The CGI is what really brings down the superhero genre as a whole for me and ensures it has virtually no rewatch factor.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I don’t get the snobbery over CGI. These are comic book movies. They’re inherently cartoonish by the very nature of their genre.

It’s like getting upset that there are CGI soldiers in LORD OF THE RINGS, as if we should expect these filmmakers to hire fifteen thousand extras out in a field pretending to do battle.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I tend to agree we shouldn't really complain about the quantity of CGI in these films, like you said, they couldn't exist without it really. But bad CGI will take you out, whereas good CGI can keep you engaged. So it does need to be good.
    It certainly depends on the approach. For example, The Wachowski’s SPEED RACER goes for a deliberate cartoonish aesthetic, so the CGI not being photorealistic isn’t even in consideration for anything that would fall under criticism. Comic book films are largely cartoonish and colorful, so I can’t be upset if Guardians of the Galaxy fighting a giant green alien blob doesn’t look “real”.

It’s why I have no issue with the CGI in ESCAPE FROM LA because it’s intentionally going for a very campy and exaggerated vibe. Contrast that with something like the 1997 version of STAR WARS that featured an abysmal rendition of Jabba the Hutt, who doesn’t even look close to the original puppet.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I agree in a way, but something like the latest Dr Strange film feels like they spent about a week shooting it against a greenscreen and that's it; it feels really minimum effort. And I'm sure a lot of people worked really hard on it, it just doesn't feel like a real movie to me.
    I don’t get the snobbery over CGI. These are comic book movies. They’re inherently cartoonish by the very nature of their genre.

It’s like getting upset that there are CGI soldiers in LORD OF THE RINGS, as if we should expect these filmmakers to hire fifteen thousand extras out in a field pretending to do battle.

When the quality's weak, I take issue with it. It's 2022 and some of these films look like they're employing CGI from the early 2000s. It's stunning. Regardless, it's subjective, and when CGI is dominating action through its movements and characters like that, I lose all interest.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited October 2022 Posts: 3,382
    mtm wrote: »
    I agree in a way, but something like the latest Dr Strange film feels like they spent about a week shooting it against a greenscreen and that's it; it feels really minimum effort. And I'm sure a lot of people worked really hard on it, it just doesn't feel like a real movie to me.

But despite of CGI galores, I still liked the latest Dr. Strange film (Multiverse of Madness), I felt that it's one of the better films in MCU after No Way Home (which is one of the best).

I thought that the latest Thor (Love and Thunder) film had the bad use of those CGIs, you have a nonsensical story, then you have the overuse of CGIs that's all over the place, then it makes for a so-so film.
    MI6HQ wrote: »

But despite of CGI galores, I still liked the latest Dr. Strange film (Multiverse of Madness), I felt that it's one of the better films in MCU after No Way Home (which is one of the best).

I thought that the latest Thor (Love and Thunder) film had the bad use of those CGIs, you have a nonsensical story, then you have the overuse of CGIs that's all over the place, then it makes for a so-so film.

Good to know about Multiverse of Madness; I'd heard bad things about it but I do kinda want to check it out; it looks pretty cool.
    If you enjoy Sam Raimi’s style of filmmaking, it might be up your alley. Right down to the crash zooms.

I just revisited THE QUICK AND THE DEAD and had a fun time with that. The crash zooms are out of control at 2:20 in this video!

• thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    My issue with the CGI is when it's noticeable it feels fake. Takes me out of the movie. For example a certain secret agent once wind surfed on water and it took me out of the movie and dialed down any danger. When a certain secret agent jumped and did parkour I was invested and wasn't left to wonder if it was CGI or not. I enjoyed the practical stunt.

Black Adam has a ton of CGI that just seems so artificial that it's an over load. Now maybe the storyline wasn't as compelling as Avengers End Game, but I dare the former packed a big punch to me and I was invested, the latter I was a bit meh about the whole thing. I much preferred Christopher Reeve's Superman to Henry Cavill's. Mostly due to the over abundance of CGI. But again I found the Reeve's Superman movies (1 and 2) to be a better story than what we got in MOS.
    thedove wrote: »
    My issue with the CGI is when it's noticeable it feels fake. Takes me out of the movie.

Of course. As with all technology, it's at it's best when it's invisible, and just connects you to an experience.

It has to be good, or it sticks out, and takes you out of the story.

• I want to see Brosnan be the lead again in a decent film. Looking forward to seeing Black Adam on Friday but he is hardly the star of the show is he. Its been too long since we've seen a decent Pierce film. Could someone like Tarantino give him a proper juicy role?
    I still haven’t seen The Foreigner but I really want to. I’d also like to see Pierce in the lead role again.
    I still haven’t seen The Foreigner but I really want to. I’d also like to see Pierce in the lead role again.

I loved it as an action film. Check out the Chinese cut if you can, it's way better and extended in all the right ways.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I loved it as an action film. Check out the Chinese cut if you can, it's way better and extended in all the right ways.

xTiTnjmUTIoh83IDq8.gif
    That sounds like a pun that would have fit seamlessly into Die Another Day
  • Just come back from watching Black Adam. Film is no classic but reasonably enjoyable and cheesy. To be fair Pierce is very good.
    Just come back from watching Black Adam. Film is no classic but reasonably enjoyable and cheesy. To be fair Pierce is very good.

My thoughts exactly.
    Today I learned that GE, TWINE, and DAD held world premieres in the US, rather than the UK. Doesn’t actually surprise me, as I think Brosnan was better known in the US pre-Bond than he was in the UK.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited November 2022 Posts: 8,009
    Today I learned that GE, TWINE, and DAD held world premieres in the US, rather than the UK. Doesn’t actually surprise me, as I think Brosnan was better known in the US pre-Bond than he was in the UK.

DAD did have its world premiere in the UK. You're quite right about the other two, though. It's interesting that they alternated.
    I thought so about DAD too, but it looks like it did hold a world premiere in LA a week before the more lavish premiere in the UK.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    They must be doing re-shoots; I’ll keep an eye out. 😉

• Sadly it's seems PBs box office record continues to be dismal post-Bond. Black Adam looks to be a bit of a flop..No wonder DC are starting again under James Gunn and partner. Doesn't look like we will see his Dr Fate again which is a shame as he was pretty good in the role.
    I

• SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    I love it when Brosnan keeps getting screen jobs :)
    Always love a good History Channel program with Brosnan.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Doesn't look quite up to the standard of presentation of his Robin Hood programme, but I'm still interested.

Has his accent turned more English there?
    edited January 2023 Posts: 40,372
    Fast Charlie is in post-production but has been issued a "do not work" notice. It's still slated for release later this year:

https://deadline.com/2023/01/sag-aftra-do-not-work-notice-fast-charlie-james-caan-final-film-1235221356/
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    Doesn't look quite up to the standard of presentation of his Robin Hood programme, but I'm still interested.

Has his accent turned more English there?

I've been thinking he sounds more American these days. "whole lotta dynamite."
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    Is this Pierce?! He looks Beethoven! :))
    The only missing is the piano!

Four Letters Of Love FIRST LOOK: Hollywood actor looks unrecognisable with long grey mane on set of new film - but can you guess who he is?
    It's Brosnan, okay popped the bubble there.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-11803823/Hollywood-actor-looks-unrecognisable-set-new-film-Four-Letters-Love.html
    I have understood some longtime fans' frustrations with the Brosnan era (and even as a result parts of his performance, dictated by poorer scripts), but I am continually impressed with Brosnan's finesse as Bond across his tenure. I love his blend of Connery's formidability and swagger with Moore's winking charm. There's certainly something to say for those two in branding their own takes on 007 (as well as Timothy Dalton), but I genuinely believe Brosnan's Bond is the most well-rounded.