The James Bond Movie Trivia Quiz

Comments

• SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    Elliot Carver, want proof?

Even if they were looking for me, we're on a stealth boat! They can't see me. Or, you. Or, even - your friend, the late Commander Bond.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Elliott Carver in TND?

"(Wai Lin) My government knows you're out here. They're looking for you.

(Carver) Not according to our radar, where it seems your MiGs are about to attack the British fleet in...Gupta, how many minutes?

(Gupta) Nine minutes to firing range.

(Carver) And even if they were looking for me, we're on a Stealth boat. They can't see me, or you, or even your friend, the late Commander Bond, who is, I believe, at this moment on his way to the bottom of the South China Sea. He's my new anchorman."
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    MI6HQ wrote: »
    Elliot Carver, want proof?

Even if they were looking for me, we're on a stealth boat! They can't see me. Or, you. Or, even - your friend, the late Commander Bond.

That's the one, well done! Carver is the only main baddie to appreciate 007's rank :D
    Your turn!
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited January 2023 Posts: 8,655
    Original message deleted.

(Oops, sorry, I thought your post was directed at me, @mtm ...but MI6HQ was faster while I was composing my own answer. So good luck, @MI6HQ !)
    So, this is just quick:

To whom the Union Jack Ski Parachute (that's later used in TSWLM) idea came from?
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    A Canadian Club advert in an edition of Playboy magazine?
    edited January 2023 Posts: 3,382
    Nope, it's not what I'm looking for, I'm afraid.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Michael G Wilson?
    edited January 2023 Posts: 3,382
    Not still, it's in the internet, and it's also here in
    MI6-HQ site trivia.
    I found it on IMDb:

"The famous Union Jack parachute ski jump stunt during the pre-title sequence was originally suggested by George Lazenby to be used in 'On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969),' but the necessary equipment to film it was not available then. The Bond producers thought it was a great idea, and later added the Union Jack to the parachute and used it in this movie [i.e. TSWLM]. It has been noted with that scene's climax, James Bond's status with the people of Britain changed from being simply a popular character who happened to be British to an iconic British hero on par with King Arthur, Robin Hood, and Sherlock Holmes."
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    I found it on IMDb:

"The famous Union Jack parachute ski jump stunt during the pre-title sequence was originally suggested by George Lazenby to be used in 'On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969),' but the necessary equipment to film it was not available then. The Bond producers thought it was a great idea, and later added the Union Jack to the parachute and used it in this movie [i.e. TSWLM]. It has been noted with that scene's climax, James Bond's status with the people of Britain changed from being simply a popular character who happened to be British to an iconic British hero on par with King Arthur, Robin Hood, and Sherlock Holmes."

Yes, you've got it right! @j_w_pepper
    Your turn!
    Thank you, I was afraid so :-). I'll need a bit of time but will update this message when I know where I'm going.

OK: Who was the first actor to drive the Aston Martin DB5, registration BMT216A, on screen (including TV)? And what was the colour of that car at the time? (I'm sure we've had this on this board, but we also have a lot of new members.)
    Just alerting everyone that the latest question was in my last posting, so fire away,
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 2023 Posts: 14,861
    It was Anthony Quayle in The Saint, wasn't it? When it was red. It also appeared in magazines like Autocar as it was the test car, and DB5 prototype I think.
    Mind you, I expect he wasn't actually driving it!
    The answer is spot-on, and I don't think he really drove it either, but he is shown as its driver (in fact, I'm now wondering to what extent Sean Connery really drove that car). Oh, yes, and the official colour was called Dubonnet Red. Over to you, @mtm.
    Since it is the 6th of January by now over here, let me remind @mtm that it's his turn by now...
    If you don't mind, @mtm, I'll just pick this up to save it from oblivion, since I sort of stumbled across the following:

In which James Bond movie (1 - 25) can you read the name of a current (2023) head of state quite clearly? And of course, who's the one?
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    I like this question. What I don't like so much is that I have no answer. Yes, this is one of my best posts so far.
    I applaud you for your self-consciousness, sir! :-)

PS: It may help if you check my most recent activities on other threads.
    Hint: The name can be seen on a means of transport...yet another one.
    Any takers, before it gets lost? @mtm, actually it was your turn.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Oh, sorry; I missed this. For some reason this thread pops up as being 'read' for me when it reappears, unlike the other 'unread' ones- it's really weird.
    In fact, it does for me, too. I just found the thread at the top of the list with your answer, but not in bold and without having touched it since my last post.

Anyway, feel free to give it a try on my suggestion or post another one, in which case I'll post the solution to mine for universal enlightenment.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Erm, there's a helicopter with 'king' written on it in TWINE! :)

I'm struggling otherwise...
    Keep struggling...but it's more like a real-life king. With a name, not just the title. Just (obviously) not mentioning the present status since it's been a while before that. And also: Which kind of means of transport does normally carry a name?
    OK, just to keep this alive, I'm talking about a ship's name.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah I got that but coming up with nothing...
    It is not a big ship, and it's traveling a sort of inland waterway.

By the way, I just noticed that there is still the problem that the new entries to this thread do not cause the thread title to change to bold. Maybe this is why this thread has pretty much ceased to exist, as compared to former times?

I don't know whom to contact about this probably technical problem. Can you help somehow, @Benny, @Creasy47, @DarthDimi...or whoever?
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Is it the hydrofoil in MWTGG?
    @thedove: Sorry, I only saw your post now because of the technical problem described by @mtm above. No, the hydrofoil is called the "Flying Sandpiper". And I don't mean the wreck of the "Queen Elizabeth" either, which is why I specifically referred to a current (2023) head of state. After all, that name is at least legible in the subtitles if they're turned on (but not on that heap of scrap metal).