The David Arnold Appreciation Thread.

Comments

I sincerely hope Arnold is invited back for Bond 26?!!!! He clearly loves the franchise. The 007 in concert is a perfect example of it.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    edited December 2022 Posts: 1,282
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    I sincerely hope Arnold is invited back for Bond 26?!!!! He clearly loves the franchise. The 007 in concert is a perfect example of it.

Yeah, I think if Arnold does another Bond score now it would be interesting, because we might notice a slight change in his style. Just like how John Barry changed and started heading towards melancholic and more romantic sounds...which I think started with his MR score. A style I really enjoyed too. Not that Arnold would change into that exact same style, but it's almost certain that slight evolution would be showcased, if Arnold does another Bond score.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think it's not certain he would do if it offered: he has said on Twitter recently that he hasn't been doing big films not because of lack of offers but because he's preferring smaller projects now. Perhaps he feels done with these big movies which presumably have a lot of politics and back and fro-ing; whether he would feel differently if it were Bond I have no idea, he may well do.
    Only time will tell? I think after the work he put into 007 in concert? It would be a very tempting carrot for him if dangled?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    He scored 'Confess, Fletch' recently and got a couple of interesting cues in there. Made me think he is still as ready as ever. I am sure a man's innate talents don't just go away. His energy levels, however, might be a different thing altogether. Still, I hope Arnold will be back.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Only time will tell? I think after the work he put into 007 in concert? It would be a very tempting carrot for him if dangled?

It’s possible, I couldn’t speak for what he may do or not do.
    mtm wrote: »
    I think it's not certain he would do if it offered: he has said on Twitter recently that he hasn't been doing big films not because of lack of offers but because he's preferring smaller projects now. Perhaps he feels done with these big movies which presumably have a lot of politics and back and fro-ing; whether he would feel differently if it were Bond I have no idea, he may well do.

Oh, Yeah. But I think I also remember him saying his pencil is always sharp for 007....in case, he comes calling. Like us, Arnold is obsessed with James Bond. He never gets tired of answering when asked about James Bond. So I can't envisage him turning down a Bond score, even if I can't speak for him.
  • edited January 2023 Posts: 137
    tomorrow-never-dies-environmental-web.jpg

So this has just arrived, shipped from US to UK. It's taken about 3 weeks and I'm back to being 17 years old. It's great to finally, get some of the more musical cues from the film and to appreciate just what a great soundtrack this was.

LaLa Land records are selling all 5,000 of the limited run and I can really recommend grabbing a copy.

I should add, it's been a pain to get the CD into my Mac, and had to hunt out an old external drive just to fire up iTunes/Apple Music for the first time in about 3 years.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Okay okay. Just ordered it.

• morcarvicmorcarvic france
    just a heads up today 21/jan at 5.00pm gmt on itv1 theres a repeat of the chase celebrity special featuring david arnold as a contestant.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited April 2023 Posts: 7,969
    Sometimes I will put on "backseat driver" and am immediately reminded of when the bond scores had such flair and character to them. Compare TND to either of the Thomas Newman scores, there's no contest.

bring arnold back for Bond 26.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Sometimes I will put on "backseat driver" and am immediately reminded of when the bond scores had such flair and character to them. Compare TND to either of the Thomas Newman scores, there's no contest.

Yeah, no contest at all, I agree. I wish Arnold could return. TND was awesome. TWINE and DAD had a few issues to deal with, but overall they were still good fun. And CR as well as QOS is where I find Arnold maturing and doing amazing work. Vesper's theme is hauntingly beautiful. I too want Arnold back for Bond 26, let there be no mistake about that.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Yeah, no contest at all, I agree. I wish Arnold could return. TND was awesome. TWINE and DAD had a few issues to deal with, but overall they were still good fun. And CR as well as QOS is where I find Arnold maturing and doing amazing work. Vesper's theme is hauntingly beautiful. I too want Arnold back for Bond 26, let there be no mistake about that.

I wholeheartedly agree with you guys.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”

In that case, I prefer Newman’s to Arnold’s obnoxious score in TND, which I find way overrated by fans.

I think DAD and QOS are his stronger efforts. If he had more of those under his belt I would be wanting him back.

But I rather hear a new composer offer something to Bond. There’s so much talent out there. It would be extremely wasteful to just give it to only one guy just because he’s a fan favorite. I’d love to hear Alberto Iglesias have a crack.
    I think the main reason fans want Arnold back is, he's been away for too long. Something fans didn't see coming.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

For me it's 'Come in 007, your time is up' from TWINE. An absolute blast of Bondian music!

Love the way it builds with cool little flourishes thrown in as the sequence progresses.
    Love this!
    Really cool track by Four Tet sampling Arnold's music.
    I couldn't agree more.
    Love this!

+1
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Very happy that a proper score release of Hot Fuzz came out recently. Great fun.

Essential listening! Bloody awesome!

• edited June 2023 Posts: 6,682
    A couple of minor notes on the expanded TND soundtrack album. I don't know if these points have been mentioned here or elsewhere:

- The last part of the album track "MI6 / Launch the Fleet" (the Bond theme heard when Bond, M and Moneypenny are in the car) has a ride cymbal. The film version removes this instrument.

- The opening of the album track "Shaken but Not Stirred" has no percussion, but the film version does.

- In the film, a segment of the track "Stealth Shoot Out" has the orchestra dialed out, with only synths and percussion remaining.

That's it. Incidentally, I put together film versions of these tracks, by combining the album tracks with the film audio as necessary. I also must say I'd gotten used to listening to certain tracks in their edited film versions, tracks such as Backseat Pilot and Escape to Hotel. I took the album tracks, recreated these edits and added these edited versions as alternates on my playlist.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    A couple of minor notes on the expanded TND soundtrack album. I don't know if these points have been mentioned here or elsewhere:

- The last part of the album track "MI6 / Launch the Fleet" (the Bond theme heard when Bond, M and Moneypenny are in the car) has a ride cymbal. The film version removes this instrument.

- The opening of the album track "Shaken but Not Stirred" has no percussion, but the film version does.

- In the film, a segment of the track "Stealth Shoot Out" has the orchestra dialed out, with only synths and percussion remaining.

That's it. Incidentally, I put together film versions of these tracks, by combining the album tracks with the film audio as necessary. I also must say I'd gotten used to listening to certain tracks in their edited film versions, tracks such as Backseat Pilot and Escape to Hotel. I took the album tracks, recreated these edits and added these edited versions as alternates on my playlist.

I knew about Stealth Shoot Out, but not those other tracks. Thanks for the information.
    concerning "stealth shoot out" would that be the section on the corresponding isolated dvd soundtrack,where the music is dialled down to practically inaudible before the electric guitar phrase of the james bond theme erupts powerfully back into the mix,for the bit where bond starts firing that mini missile launcher inside the stealth boat.
    morcarvic wrote: »
    concerning "stealth shoot out" would that be the section on the corresponding isolated dvd soundtrack,where the music is dialled down to practically inaudible before the electric guitar phrase of the james bond theme erupts powerfully back into the mix,for the bit where bond starts firing that mini missile launcher inside the stealth boat.

It's the part from 2:04 to 2:22 on the album track. That's after the electric guitar bit. In the film, the 2:04-2:22 section is a few seconds shorter, and the orchestra is inaudible.

It's the part from 2:04 to 2:22 on the album track. That's after the electric guitar bit. In the film, the 2:04-2:22 section is a few seconds shorter, and the orchestra is inaudible.

thanks mattjoes ,much like yourself been trying to create the film versions ,though being a dinosaur i favour minidisc over playlists for chronological constructions.have to say finding white knight ,sinking of devonshire and underwater discovery difficult to assemble.

thanks mattjoes ,much like yourself been trying to create the film versions ,though being a dinosaur i favour minidisc over playlists for chronological constructions.have to say finding white knight ,sinking of devonshire and underwater discovery difficult to assemble.

Out of those, I only made an edit of The Sinking of the Devonshire, because for the film, at the end of that track, they added music taken from Underwater Discovery to score the bit where the sailors are shot, and it's quite noticeable. From what I remember, the other two tracks have less radical edits, which are more about cutting some bits here and there instead of flat out adding music like with Sinking. Incidentally, that's why I placed the edited version of Sinking in the main section of my playlist, rather than relegating it to the end as a bonus, like I did with the film edits of Backseat Pilot and Escape to Hotel. I sometimes find that it can be quite complicated to reach a consistent logic in making these small decisions.

For all other purposes, I have a rip of the 5.1 isolated score track that came with the DVD. I also think the expanded La-La Land Records album is not a full substitute for this track, because it is, of course, in stereo, so while lossy and full of cuts, the isolated score track does an advantage in the larger amount of channels.
  • edited August 2023 Posts: 78
    Apologies if this has been mentioned already, but I noticed that the expanded version of of the Tomorrow Never Dies soundtrack is on the 007 Store.

It might be helpful for those of you in the UK who didn't want to pay shipping from the US.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Oh damn; that would have been really handy! Good spot; I wonder if they'll add the other ones- I believe LLL has more copies of their DAD score on sale, possibly TWINE too.