The (Non-Bond) Films of DANIEL CRAIG

13»

Comments

• edited December 2022 Posts: 4,400
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Just got out from seeing it. Loved it. Not as good as the first in my opinion, but just as original and impressive.

61b01787c79d731fb849cbbf503ee655d4bc6e31.gif

I totally agree with you @Denbigh!

Glass Onion is a bigger, showier and even more elaborately silly film. It's a more zippy and frothy affair than its predecessor. I found it to be an entertaining (albeit slight) film with a trio of great performances from Daniel, Edward Norton and Kate Hudson. However, a few of the suspects fail to get properly fleshed out - but this is more than made up for with some glitzy cameos. You could argue that the real star is Rian Johnson’s mischievous screenplay, which crams in so many laughs you almost don’t notice the plot holes. Though the script can feel a bit 'much' as it's reflective of a very online sensibility. For me, Daniel is the main event. In the first film, he was chewing the scenery but here Blanc is more developed. Could he have another iconic role on his hands? Actually Glass Onion almost felt like a 007 film at times.....

XQP90BV.png
  • CharmianBondCharmianBond Pett Bottom, Kent
    Rewatched Layer Cake and it's cliche at this point to say it's Craig's audition tape for Bond, and when he meets Siena Miller's character at the hotel does feel similar to his FRWL screen-test, but he really does exudes charm and machismo that made him a no-brainer for Bond. Plus seeing him and Ben Whishaw in this film vs Skyfall is never not funny. What got me is just how good this film looks, if you told me it came out six months ago I would believe you, let alone nearly 20.

• Personally I think this is exactly the type of project he should be doing. He has proven himself as a leading man with 007 and now has shown he has comedic chops. However, my favourite era of Daniel's career were those edgy early projects. This film sounds closer to his work in Love is the Devil (which might be one of my favourite films of his). I also really love Luca Guadagnino's movies. Bones and All is one of my favourites this year.

I other news, Glass Onion is out tomorrow and I'm excited to hear what others thing! Post your reviews so I can read them!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It sounds like a really great premise, one I'm deeply excited to see Craig tackle.
  • Red_Snow wrote: »
    Seen in twice. Absolutely loved it. Easily my favourite film of the year.

I liked it too. But unfortunately it's not as good as the first one.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Librarian wrote: »
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    Seen in twice. Absolutely loved it. Easily my favourite film of the year.

I liked it too. But unfortunately it's not as good as the first one.

I love 'em both equally. They're well-acted, their narrative structures feel fresh and keep things interesting, and the comedy is not too much and not too little. I find the Knives Out 'smarter' and 'Glass Onion' better looking, but they both rock IMO.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Yeah, but Ana de Armas is only in one of them, so... ;)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Venutius wrote: »
    Yeah, but Ana de Armas is only in one of them, so... ;)

That, I agree with. A point very well made, sir. ;-)

Personally I think this is exactly the type of project he should be doing. He has proven himself as a leading man with 007 and now has shown he has comedic chops. However, my favourite era of Daniel's career were those edgy early projects. This film sounds closer to his work in Love is the Devil (which might be one of my favourite films of his). I also really love Luca Guadagnino's movies. Bones and All is one of my favourites this year.

I other news, Glass Onion is out tomorrow and I'm excited to hear what others thing! Post your reviews so I can read them!

Craig's in that phase of his career when he can do basically whatever he wants as an actor. I know he's been leaning towards comedy lately but something like this with a writer/director like Guadagnino could be very interesting (I've actually read this and one of Burrough's other novels 'Junkie', both of which I didn't like, but both of which I thought had the room for others to adapt and make cool films out of).
  • I want to see Dan Craig in a marvel or DC film when they start making decent DC films under James Gunn.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    edited December 2022 Posts: 3,985
    Sorry, but Glass Onion was absolute shite, IMO.

I liked the first film. This isn't particularly funny and the mystery isn't much of one at all. It would also help if I gave a crap about any of the characters. Which I didn't.

Adds up to a pretty empty, emotionless viewing experience. Like a lot of Netflix movies...
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    No need to hold back - what did you really think of it, Leonard? ;)
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Venutius wrote: »
    No need to hold back - what did you really think of it, Leonard? ;)

Maybe he just knows his Glass Onions. ;)
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    edited December 2022 Posts: 2,508
    I quite liked Glass Onion, sorry @LeonardPine , it wasn't as good as the first but it was good sequel.

I thought Daniel was brilliant in it and shone. The cast was great, although I did miss Marta
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland
    Wasn't big on the first hour of Glass Onion, but I thought the 2nd picked up a good bit.
  • edited December 2022 Posts: 6,677
    Who else laughed when
    Hugh Grant answered the door?
    What a nice bit of casting, that one! I thought the little insights into Blanc's private life were wonderful. Specially that balcony scene. And the bath. These scenes and traits help build the character. Lovely.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Wasn't big on the first hour of Glass Onion, but I thought the 2nd picked up a good bit.

Agreed. Unlike the first one where it picks up right from the start.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    I didn't like Glass Onion at all. Nothing wrong with Daniel's performance, in fact him and Kate Hudson are about the only real reason to watch. This was not a smart film and was very poorly written. Many contrivances and un-answered questions that when you think about it make little to no sense:
    Why wouldn't Norton's character freak out when his former partner shows up alive, he had watched her die. Why does this former partner get a box, he sends it to a dead woman whose committed suicide? Why didn't the former business partner use the napkin during the trial? Why send Norton's character a picture and basically dare him to do something to you?

Good performances from Craig and Hudson aren't enough for me to recommend this film. Watch the first one again. I hope the next one returns to something smarter and less contrived!
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    thedove wrote: »
    I didn't like Glass Onion at all. Nothing wrong with Daniel's performance, in fact him and Kate Hudson are about the only real reason to watch. This was not a smart film and was very poorly written. Many contrivances and un-answered questions that when you think about it make little to no sense:
    Why wouldn't Norton's character freak out when his former partner shows up alive, he had watched her die. Why does this former partner get a box, he sends it to a dead woman whose committed suicide? Why didn't the former business partner use the napkin during the trial? Why send Norton's character a picture and basically dare him to do something to you?

Good performances from Craig and Hudson aren't enough for me to recommend this film. Watch the first one again. I hope the next one returns to something smarter and less contrived!

My thoughts exactly...
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    A lot of fun with some good gag edits in there.