Ideas/concept of future Bond gadgets ?

2»

Comments

• edited September 2022 Posts: 2,742
    Maybe a way to go with the next Bond isn't to necessarily have a few 'high tech' gadgets (or at least ones significant to the plot) that are given to him by Q, but are already on his person that we see him using throughout the film. They'd be pretty minimalist, albeit modern, and the sort of stuff a spy would need. I dunno, something that doubles as a lock pick (manual or electronic), an updated version of the 'bug detector' Bond uses in his hotel room in FRWL and LALD (probably a little electronic device he puts to his eye that detects little cameras etc), a little sensor Bond can plant that explodes when enemies try to tamper with it (good distraction).

It'd be good potential for drama in the sense that if Bond is captured by the villain we could have a scene where all these gadgets are taken off him, and Bond has to use his wits to escape.
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    MI6HQ wrote: »
    Bond should use a smartwatch.

For me that’s a definite no-go. A smartwatch, to most watch enthusiasts, is not a watch.

Might be functional for running or for those who have to keep an eye on their heart rate. I won’t argue with that.

But Bond is an elegant fellow, he’d love his watch to be a timeless mechanical piece. A watch that works as long as his own heart still beats.

Just as much as with classic cars, it’s that affection for meticulous craftsmanship, carefully designed handwork, and the passion for timelessness.

I agree that I picture Bond like somebody with have that kind of thinking, a love for classics things like needles watch. Even if on tother hand, Moore had some digitals ones. Smart-watch shouldn't be his personnal one, but with his own money, but rather something that it is given to him by Q before a mission.

I had an idea a while back that he should have ordinary hi-tech gadgets (smartphones, earpieces) that double as primitive weapons. A shiv in his phone, or an earpieces that can explode when thrown (maybe a bit dangerous, that one, but you get the idea).

It could be a fun reversal of the classic type of gadget.

I can clearly see a scene where an henchman tell him to remove his earpieces and Bond trowing it at the feed of him and kaboom!

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited September 2022 Posts: 13,879
    In one of the comics Bond has a blade that pops out of his watch. He uses it to cut the ropes holding his hands behind his back, when tied to a chair. Simple mechanism, something real world spies might've had.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    MI6HQ wrote: »
    Bond should use a smartwatch.

For me that’s a definite no-go. A smartwatch, to most watch enthusiasts, is not a watch.

Might be functional for running or for those who have to keep an eye on their heart rate. I won’t argue with that.

But Bond is an elegant fellow, he’d love his watch to be a timeless mechanical piece. A watch that works as long as his own heart still beats.

Just as much as with classic cars, it’s that affection for meticulous craftsmanship, carefully designed handwork, and the passion for timelessness.

I agree that I picture Bond like somebody with have that kind of thinking, a love for classics things like needles watch. Even if on tother hand, Moore had some digitals ones. Smart-watch shouldn't be his personnal one, but with his own money, but rather something that it is given to him by Q before a mission.

Wouldn’t he just have the usual Omega which magically has smartwatch functionality?
    The EMP one?
    It's time that film Bond had some gadget cufflinks. We saw this in the FRWL/TND games, where they had a sonic/shockwave function. I think the closest we got in the films was Scaramanga's gun trigger.
    edited December 2022 Posts: 13,879
    The TND video game is a fair bit different from the film - most notably the mission objectives and gadgets that feature are completely new. We collect gas bombs (which look like a hybrid of Primo's London lab bombs and the Qdar), as well as explosive cufflinks. I'm surprised that Bond hasn't used a cufflink gadget in the films yet, as they are small and unassuming.

In the first part of the game, Bond has to target a satellite dish which looks much like the Severnaya complex. Rather than destroy the dish himself, he uses a device called a 'laser designator'. At first I thought this was some fictional tech exclusive to the story, but it turns out to be a real thing, and not at all new. An invisible beam is fired at the target, 'marking' it, and the coded laser pulses bounce off the target which are then picked up by a laser-guided missile. It has since been seen in other video games such as the Halo and Battlefield series.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_designator

52579136989_9e05af9c10_o.png

52578867441_8d92410a94_o.png
    52578403192_9525f86e9b_z.jpg
    52579138354_2e1cd856fb_z.jpg

Bond targets the dish, and moments later a jet flies past and drops a bomb on it.

I've been hanging for a new Bond sniper scene for years. The laser designator in the game looks more like a rifle, and perhaps instead of a typical sniper scene with a firearm, Bond could use this device.

52579306380_29d4ebf8e6_o.jpg

Above: (a) The first laser target designator (1969) and (b) the first laser guided bomb
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    So what are your thoughts on more modern everyday tech objects being slightly powered-up to be used as gadgets instead of (or in addition to) the ever returning gun, watch and car?

What made me think about this is that my fiancée just got herself new noice cancelling headphones and the ones she's testing at the moment not only can turn active noice cancelling on and off, they have a feature where you put your hand on one of the earpieces and it lowers the volume on whatever you are listening to and transmits the surrounding sound into the earphones so you can have a conversation. And it apparently even has a feature that enhances voices around you, but cancels background noice, f.e. on a train or plane. I think the espionage possibilities here are quite obvious. Maybe include something that allows Bond to direct the microphones even more than normal to eavesdrop on someone on the other side of First Class or in some public space.

The other part is of course smartphones. Since the advent of the smartphone era, Bond's phones have arguably been getting dumber. You'd obviously need some fun ideas that aren't just existing apps. For example, if I recall correctly, in Jeffery Deaver's Carte Blanche, there is a sequence were Bond makes sure that his contact in South Africa is who they say they are by wirelessly tapping their phones to exchange an identifying code or something like that. On the flipside, you surely could do a fun little thing where Bond has a phone with several secret identities on it that he somehow has to switch back and forth.
    The Bond comics have also been pretty good in seemlessly integrating smartphones to be used as more classic spy tools, like safecrackers, scanners or cameras.
    I've also always thought a smartphone is a pretty good tool to physically smuggle stuff in and out of places. Q section could easily build a functioning phone that holds a tiny vial of poison or a shiv or a gold coin or whatever else needs to be brought into or out of a place. A phone-gun would probably be taking it too far.
    The point is that smartphones have arguably replaced wristwatches and stuff like notebooks and pens or and even attaché cases and whatever else used to be standard spy stuff. I understand of course that the Bond watch is it's own thing and shouldn't be tempered with, too much. But they could do a lot of fun things with a piece of personal tech most of us have and use that goes beyond navigation and a slightly funky camera.