MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
I just revisited the original film for the first time in what must have been a decade. It’s still pretty solid 4 out of 5 stars. I think there’s some lagging in the first act, but for the most part it flows well as an action/adventure epic. I would love to see this on IMAX 3D again one day. Of all the 3D films that had come out after, this was the only one that felt like the 3D added to the experience and wasn’t just an afterthought. I don’t like 3D films in general, but this was exceptional and I do look forward to seeing him deliver that with THE WAY OF WATER.

That said, I probably rank it dead last when it comes to Cameron’s filmography (though I have not seen PIRANHA II: THE SPAWNING). I just prefer all he had prior, that’s not really a knock on AVATAR. I do look forward to seeing if he steps it up for the sequel.

Cameron Ranking:

THE TERMINATOR
ALIENS
TERMINATOR 2: JUDGEMENT DAY
TITANIC
TRUE LIES
THE ABYSS

Comments

Your top 3 are the only films I own of James Cameron, Terminator 2' still holds up really well as an action movie. He reached the top of his game there, the rest I could happily forget about. 'Avatar' bored the hell out of me, and having just read a couple of Irish reviewers of number 2, its apparently even more boring, so i will happily avoid!
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited December 2022 Posts: 8,655
    I hated the first Avatar (aka Dances with Smurfs) and never had any desire to revisit it. (Same goes for The Abyss, which I once saw on TV when I was still watching TV in the 90s.) Interestingly enough, my ranking of the Cameron films is about the same as yours, however ending up with those bottom two being max 3/10 for me, and that is one point less than I give to DAD. Needless to say, I'm certainly not gonna watch the new one.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    ALIENS ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
    TERMINATOR 2: JUDGEMENT DAY ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
    THE TERMINATOR ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
    TRUE LIES ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
    TITANIC ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
    THE ABYSS ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    I think he directed Aliens brilliantly. I really love the film. Lots of thrills and inventive action scenes.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    ALIENS
    TERMINATOR
    T2
    TRUE LIES
    ABYSS
    TITANIC

The last two films I do recognize there technical achievements though as entertainment I don't have a great deal of time for. The first act of Avatar is ok then the film nose dives.

Titanic was a chore I had the misfortune of watching the film in the cinema, a lot of the acting in this film is laughably bad which undermined scenes of a serious nature.
  • edited December 2022 Posts: 6,727
    ALIENS
    TERMINATOR
    T2
    TRUE LIES
    ABYSS
    TITANIC

The last two films I do recognize there technical achievements though as entertainment I don't have a great deal of time for. The first act of Avatar is ok then the film nose dives.

Titanic was a chore I had the misfortune of watching the film in the cinema, a lot of the acting in this film is laughably bad which undermined scenes of a serious nature.

Agree re 'Titanic', I wasn't even impressed with effects! As for the "dramatic" story, if 'Avatar' was dubbed 'Dances with Smurfs', then 'Titanic' is 'Crossroads on a boat'
    (For our non UK residents, 'Crossroads' was a badly acted soap opera series from the 70's/80's!)
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    ALIENS
    TERMINATOR
    T2
    TRUE LIES
    ABYSS
    TITANIC

Agree re 'Titanic', I wasn't even impressed with effects! As for the "dramatic" story, if 'Avatar' was dubbed 'Dances with Smurfs', then 'Titanic' is 'Crossroads on a boat'
    (For our non UK residents, 'Crossroads' was a badly acted soap opera series from the 70's/80's!)

Lol at Crossroads, saying that I think Eldorado was even worse.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Got a ticket to an IMAX 3D showing tomorrow for THE WAY OF WATER.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I appreciated Avatar on its release.

It's not my interest for the new film but I could see myself being pulled in to the positive response and a great movie.

Regardless Cameron does things that benefit cinema.

Cameron is one of the few filmmakers I’ll go see no matter what because they earned it. Same with Spielberg, Tarantino, Scorsese, etc. At a time when superhero films dominate the cinemas, I wanna see what the auteurs have to deliver.
    The reviews for the sequel to Avatar sound good even from more cynical reviewers. I may go and watch it on Friday after work if I can get my Christmas shopping out of the way.
    Well, son of a bitch. THAT movie PLAYS.

Initial impressions:

I regard the first film as being technically brilliant, but it doesn’t emotionally impact me that greatly. I’ve always felt a distance with that film, which is why I never revisited it much.

With THE WAY OF WATER, I actually connected with the characters and emotions. Unlike the first film, I leave the second actually looking forward to more films. I’ll say it, this is Cameron’s best film since T2. I don’t just mean that in terms of feeling invested in the characters but also because of the set pieces which are about as good as Cameron’s previous action.

Unlike AVATAR, I actually wouldn’t mind seeing this again in theaters in the near future. Color me surprised.
  • Take this with a grain of sea salt, but according to a French journalist The Abyss is finally going to be released on 4K and Blu-ray this March. To be fair, Cameron previously had said The Abyss was going to be released in 2017, but with Avatar 2 probably making its way to disc around that same time it does seem likely we will finally at long last be getting The Abyss.

https://www.filmstories.co.uk/news/the-abyss-brand-new-disc-release-finally-looks-set-for-2023/
  • I want True lies Blu Ray.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited January 2023 Posts: 4,343
    Jimbo did it again.
    The Way of Water is projected to make at least $2.2 billion worldwide, with less than half China, no Russia and a terrible ER for a movie so strong outside the US (70% of its revenue is overseas).
    Today will cross $1.5 billion (besting Maverick) 4 days faster than the latest Spider-Man.
    For the first time in history, its third weekend came out bigger than the second, thanks to the stellar world of mouth.
    Cameron made three $1.8 billion + films over the last three decades. Unprecedented.
    He’s the king.
    Ah, and the movie is awesome.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited January 2023 Posts: 4,416
    Sadley because of Light Year (promote too soon then delayd/Corona) and King's Man (Corana fictem, delayd to 2022 and get idea movie only be in cinema for weak or 2.) i am afraid there not going to be 3D or 4K release with Dutch subs or must make exeption for this movie. The Lion King did with 33 million very good, but 19 million for Aladdin mabey not enough for them and then you have the flop Dumbo (Dombo).

Screentime of 192 minutes also demend minimal 3D 3 disc edition (with 3D version in 2 parts) if there use DTS-HD MA 7.1 track. Better 4 disc with bonus material and sleeve like Warner did with Hobbit movies and 2 disc BD for people who are not intrest in 3D (Bonus disc on both editions, if needed bonus disc can be DVD so that also can make DVD release 2 disc edition). Also with in mind Disney don't make new editions later like Paramount/Fox did and high prices there ask.

Paramount/Fox (whyle under flag of Fox) released first edition as 2 disc BD/DVD with no sleeve and (the one i have) 2 disc with 3D/2D on one disc and DVD and with sleeve. Whyle Fox before Disney take over 100% have made exeption for this movie and have released in 3D (possible again as 2 disc set).

Avatar 2 opens with 3,4 million and did 8 million in first two weaks and now after 3 weaks it delieverd 14,2 in The Netherlands, big quitstion is or Disney be that stupid to make same mistake as before and removed movie after 7-8 weaks. If remain for minimal 5 weaks longer mabey it wil beat NTTD (23-24 million).
    matt_u wrote: »
    Jimbo did it again.
    The Way of Water is projected to make at least $2.2 billion worldwide, with less than half China, no Russia and a terrible ER for a movie so strong outside the US (70% of its revenue is overseas).
    Today will cross $1.5 billion (besting Maverick) 4 days faster than the latest Spider-Man.
    For the first time in history, its third weekend came out bigger than the second, thanks to the stellar world of mouth.
    Cameron made three $1.8 billion + films over the last three decades. Unprecedented.
    He’s the king.
    Ah, and the movie is awesome.

giphy.gif?cid=5e2148869c95cf8ee749aaf2e851fa76d5d86afa05de2f6f&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

I’m considering seeing this a second time down the line since I have friends who are wanting to see it. Curious to see how it holds up on a second viewing.
    $2B in 7 days.
    $2.024B.
    First director with three $2B+ films (even in a row).
    Looking to land a $2.3-2.4B final.
    I have to say I really liked the film. I also love that we don't haver to wait 13 years for the next one.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited January 2023 Posts: 4,416
    The movie official beat skyfall now at Dutch Boxoffice and i think we already can say it beat first Avatar also with movie stil running. Also possible 26,8 of first Avatar include money of re-release of movie last year.

1. The Lion King 2019 (33 million)
    2. Avatar 2 (27)
    3. Avatar (27)
    4. Skyfall (25)
    5. Bohemian Rhapsody (25)
    6. NTTD (24)
    7. Spectre (22)

The first 3 and NTTD are also take money from 3D views, means possible something between 1,5-2million views whyle from 2D only movie''s you say 1,8-2 million views or more. Cinema ticket 11.50-14,50 for 2D viewings and 17,00 for 3D (or 4D in case of Avatar 2).

Harry Potter 6 back in 2009 was runner up with 17 million and in 2022 it is Top Gun 2 with 18 million followed by a Spider-Man movie (13 million).