The Petrolhead Lounge

Comments

j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    I love Alfas. Always have been an alfista. And had one for years, an alfa rosso quadrifoglio verde with tan interior. Love them, but I wish they'd made a new Spider, instead of giving away their joint project with mazda to fiat.
    Is this about the latest MX-5 being also made, slightly differently, as a Fiat 124? Or any new project?

I love the present MX-5 although I'm not ready to squeeze myself into it (had a 1992 MX-5 NA for 16 years, but this seems smaller!). And I like Fiat's take on the fake 124, for sentimental reasons. But of course an Alfa version, with a decent engine (and of course made in Japan, like the "124" revenant!) might be much more attractive.

Yes, it was supposed to be made alongside the MX5 ND. Here's a prototype.

alfa-romeo-2uettottanta-concept-by-pininfarina_100307464_l.jpg

I do have an ND. It's bigger than an NA, so you really should have a drive in one, @j_w_pepper ;) I highly recommend it.

mtm wrote: »
    I wanted to like the new 124 Spider but it was just missing something. I had an Alfa for a few years and I loved the style of it, it just had something about it, but that Fiat didn't quite seem to hit that Italian style note properly. Plus the design was fussier than the original which had nice, crisp, simple lines; although I guess it wasn't blobby like Alfas have turned in the last few years. Every time I see a 124 I kind of try to force myself to like it, but I just can't.

I wholeheartedly agree. What Alfa did you have, @mtm?
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited December 2022 Posts: 6,759
    Don’t worry @Univex, you’re definitely not only alfista around, I’m one as well!

In fact, it’s my number one favourite car brand, no-one comes even close to their beauty imo.

Edit: in fact, if I’d make a ranking of favourite Bond cars, the DB5 comes in second after the GTV6 :D
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited December 2022 Posts: 14,861
    The GTV6 is supercool in that film. Bond doing some actual precision driving in it too, rather than scrappily getting the back out too much, as we see in stuff like NTTD. I much prefer to see him drive expertly.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    The GTV6 was a great-looking car, and probably great-handling too, but from what I've read about it, almost as much a POS regarding corrosion etc. as the Alfasud. That's why one hardly still finds one on the streets, where even VW Golf Mk. I (a rust desaster in itself) still occasionally show up in decent condition.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes I'd love one, but you know it would be nothing but trouble sadly.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    @j_w_pepper tbh I've never considered myself an Alfista per sé, but a couple of years ago I bought a 156 speedback. Nothing spectacular, it had the 1.8 engine, dark blue with red leather seats, but whenever I got into any other car, I wanted my Alfa back. It may not be as trustworthy as German cars, but it wasn't rotting away either. It actually did quite well, and the driving experience was just... well that.
    When my GF became my wife she wanted a more modern car, and she cares about the looks of things so she wanted an ALfa too. We ended up with our curren Giulietta. Dark blue, sun roof, tan leather seats, and the standard 1.4l engine which in Dynamic mode still churns out 170hp. It's just a shedload of fun to drive.
    So yes, now that my businiess I started last year is doing really good, I'm already eying the next one. It hopeully will be the last gen. Giulia in green. Apparently the driving experience is fantastic, even though it only comes with an automatic transmission.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    @j_w_pepper tbh I've never considered myself an Alfista per sé, but a couple of years ago I bought a 156 speedback. Nothing spectacular, it had the 1.8 engine, dark blue with red leather seats, but whenever I got into any other car, I wanted my Alfa back. It may not be as trustworthy as German cars, but it wasn't rotting away either. It actually did quite well, and the driving experience was just... well that.
    When my GF became my wife she wanted a more modern car, and she cares about the looks of things so she wanted an ALfa too. We ended up with our curren Giulietta. Dark blue, sun roof, tan leather seats, and the standard 1.4l engine which in Dynamic mode still churns out 170hp. It's just a shedload of fun to drive.
    So yes, now that my businiess I started last year is doing really good, I'm already eying the next one. It hopeully will be the last gen. Giulia in green. Apparently the driving experience is fantastic, even though it only comes with an automatic transmission.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    I love Alfas. Always have been an alfista. And had one for years, an alfa rosso quadrifoglio verde with tan interior. Love them, but I wish they'd made a new Spider, instead of giving away their joint project with mazda to fiat.
    Is this about the latest MX-5 being also made, slightly differently, as a Fiat 124? Or any new project?

I love the present MX-5 although I'm not ready to squeeze myself into it (had a 1992 MX-5 NA for 16 years, but this seems smaller!). And I like Fiat's take on the fake 124, for sentimental reasons. But of course an Alfa version, with a decent engine (and of course made in Japan, like the "124" revenant!) might be much more attractive.

Yes, it was supposed to be made alongside the MX5 ND. Here's a prototype.

alfa-romeo-2uettottanta-concept-by-pininfarina_100307464_l.jpg

I do have an ND. It's bigger than an NA, so you really should have a drive in one, @j_w_pepper ;) I highly recommend it.

I wanted to like the new 124 Spider but it was just missing something. I had an Alfa for a few years and I loved the style of it, it just had something about it, but that Fiat didn't quite seem to hit that Italian style note properly. Plus the design was fussier than the original which had nice, crisp, simple lines; although I guess it wasn't blobby like Alfas have turned in the last few years. Every time I see a 124 I kind of try to force myself to like it, but I just can't.

I wholeheartedly agree. What Alfa did you have, @mtm?

They definately missed out there. What a cool car!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Concept cars always look cool though!
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I agree totally that the Alfa prototype would have been an improvement over the Fiat version, but alas...it did not come up about. Either way, I'm afraid that time has passed and my next car (whenever) will be something electrical in whatever way. That's why we're keeping up our 2008 BMW 330D (E93) convertible and our 1996-model Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 Diesel for as long as it makes sense. Considering the mileage (just to use the American expression), it may no longer make sense at least for the BMW, but selling those relics and buying an electric small car doesn't either, especially looking at the environmental effect.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    edited December 2022 Posts: 2,341
    Mazda MX-5 Miata Club RF....Nice
    Funny HONEST Audi Commercial
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Seeing that Mazda reminds me I keep watching vids about the GR86- everyone says it's a joy to drive, moreso than the Mazda even, and I'd love to have a go.
    Tragically the whole UK run of them is sold out though, it's not even possible to buy a new one.

Toyota%20GR86%20UK.jpg
    That GR86 is cool.
    Mazda6 20th Anniversary Edition
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I find that guy really irritating. But the car is incredible, its ascent up Goodwood hill was one of the best ever, just astonishing.
    Those fans suck........ :)) and they are too noisy.
    2022 Ferrari 812 GTS Ultimate Edition from MANSORY
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited December 2022 Posts: 1,419
    The graphic elements are good, the silhouette is good, I just don't like any car design that defaults to completely opening the front-end as one massive grille, like this does. I wish there was a little more done on the nose. But I get that the overall shapes and motifs echo many Alfas of the past, I just think those past Alfas are prettier.

I guess the front is echoing the Montreal, especially with the lights up:
    screen-shot-2018-02-22-at-8-55-04-am-1519307752.png

1598303590-ea2c3405571ba6a25716ab7b3a70364c.jpeg
    $10 Million Bugatti Centodieci W16

Bugatti W16 Mistral

€ 16.7 MILLION Bugatti La Voiture Noire
    2023 Cupra Born EV

Nice looking hot hatch
    Anyone going to buy a EV hatch ?
    NEW Maserati MC20
    BMW 850Ci
    edited January 2023 Posts: 2,341
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    edited January 2023 Posts: 4,311

I agree with everything he said. The interior looks like a sock with lights glowing through. After the first weeks of touching and swiping, it will be an ugly sock, though.
    The best DRAG RACE ever ? :))
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    BMW have a colour changing car; surely time for Bond to get one? :)

BMW have a colour changing car; surely time for Bond to get one? :)

Would be perfect with a revolving number plate, if you know what I mean ;)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

Damn, I remember Deals On Wheels, with Mike and Rich Sutton. Shit, that's a long time ago. I remember the pens(?) they used on the windscreens too. :)) I had no idea how much of a rough time Mike has had. By all means joke about his wideboi image "hold out yer 'aand"), but there is a line that doesn't need to be crossed. What is wrong with some people?