What Directors Should Helm A Bond Film?

Comments

• edited December 2022 Posts: 784
    Full one shot films are interesting and impressive, but extensive one shot scenes are uninteresting without any story beats or dialogue. It's a nice element to add, for the sake of variety. Ultimately varied cinematography beats all else.
  • edited December 2022 Posts: 2,750
    Single take tracking shots of longer lengths can be a bit boring. I enjoyed the first shot of SP, but it didn't really do all that much apart from look cool and showed the scenery/costumes of the parade (which were magnificent and sufficiently otherworldly to be fair, dodgy filter aside).

Something like the opening of Touch of Evil is the grandad of those shots. That at least shows the inciting incident, introduces important characters, and sustains a good level of tension that really makes it stand out from the one in SP. There's a cool German film from 2015 called Victoria which is a whole film done in a single take (no camera tricks etc.) It makes good use of that style though - you have moments where the character has to make important decisions, decide which way to go etc. and the camera will break away from the character and pan from one side to the other as she makes that decision (so in a sense it's a visualisation of the idea of being 'stuck at a crossroad' if that makes sense).
  • It really fits action scenes though, like in the church massacre scenes in kingsman.

It depends on the fight I'd say. That sequence in Kingsman works because the violence is so exaggerated and arguably even cartoonish anyway. It's not just that there's a long take, but the exaggerated jerky movements, zooms, and the camera almost 'pulling' you through the scene compliment this. It's a scene with a lot of energy.

I didn't very much like the long take during the stairwell shootout in NTTD. It lacked tension in the same way the stairwell fight from CR did. Might be because the violence/fight choreography during NTTD's final act doesn't feel very 'real' to me anyway until the very end.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited December 2022 Posts: 8,254
    I’ll have to watch the Cuba one-shot… I thought the big one-shot for NTTD is when Bond is solo, running-through all of Safin’s men and ends when he and “cyclops” fall down the stairs?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Your link doesnt work, so here it is.
    https://directorpoint.com/login?redirectTo=/
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited December 2022 Posts: 7,969
    What do people think about the idea of Edgar Wright directing Bond 26? I was indifferent for the most part, but after seeing Bond 25 I think its absolutely crucial that the next film is more lighthearted and kinetic with a shorter running time, and edgar seems to be good at that, plus his style is unmistakably british which is important for me.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    What do people think about the idea of Edgar Wright directing Bond 26? I was indifferent for the most part, but after seeing Bond 25 I think its absolutely crucial that the next film is more lighthearted and kinetic with a shorter running time, and edgar seems to be good at that, plus his style is unmistakably british which is important for me.

I think Wright is an entertaining director. But for a Bond film, I don't know if his penchant for quirky comedy might be too much. Also, I know NTTD is seen as a dark Bond film, but the comedy in it was also very much. So I don't know if Wright can get the balance right for a Bond film. Because his films are original ideas, so he's free to always insert his excessive zany style into it.
    Watching true lies again, man, Cameron would director an amazing bond picture.

I don't think there's any guarantee Wright would make a 'lighthearted' Bond film. Baby Driver has its pithy moments but its essentially an action film played straight. Same for Last Night in Soho, except that's in the psychological horror genre. He might make a more 'kinetic' Bond film perhaps, and there might be a bit more humour thrown in, but even NTTD had its tonal shifts in these directions.

He'd be an interesting choice though, but I don't think he'd give us what we expect of him as a filmmaker if that makes sense.
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    edited December 2022 Posts: 1,006
    Does anyone know if Chris Nolan has anything lined up after Oppenheimer? We’re approaching the 6-7 month mark before its release… Though he’s not even close to being my first choice, I have a strong suspicion they’re waiting for him.
    Does anyone know if Chris Nolan has anything lined up after Oppenheimer? We’re approaching the 6-7 month mark before its release… Though he’s not even close to being my first choice, I have a strong suspicion they’re waiting for him.

I don't think EON wait for anyone, even Nolan. Let's be honest, regardless of which director you are, they'll always have others willing to do it, and much of the main ideas come from the producers anyway. They didn't need Boyle for NTTD and were even willing to start afresh without him when it wasn't working out.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    007HallY wrote: »

I don't think EON wait for anyone, even Nolan. Let's be honest, regardless of which director you are, they'll always have others willing to do it, and much of the main ideas come from the producers anyway. They didn't need Boyle for NTTD and were even willing to start afresh without him when it wasn't working out.

They waited for Mendes for Spectre, so if they have their heart set on someone, they will.
    Mallory wrote: »

They waited for Mendes for Spectre, so if they have their heart set on someone, they will.

Wasn't that by a handful of months though? With a script that hadn't been finalised yet? On a film that was already having some pre-production difficulties? Certainly with a director who'd already done one Bond film previously and seemed on the fence about doing another.

If it works for them and they really want that director, sure they'll take the time to convince them. But I don't think EON are going to wait for Nolan specifically in this instance and delay anything that needn't be already.
  • timdalton007timdalton007 North Alabama
    Watching true lies again, man, Cameron would director an amazing bond picture.

I used to agree until I read Cameron being dismissive about Bond and that being part of why he did True Lies to begin with. Then again, he also had a go at comic book movies fairly recently despite having spent a chunk of the late eighties/early nineties working on making an unmade Spider-Man film.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Rather than start a new topic I’ll pose this choice here, which Christopher would you choose, Nolan or McQuarrie; for me it’s McQuarrie, hands down.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    McQuarrie by a country mile.

I didn't very much like the long take during the stairwell shootout in NTTD. It lacked tension in the same way the stairwell fight from CR did. Might be because the violence/fight choreography during NTTD's final act doesn't feel very 'real' to me anyway until the very end.

Agree. It seems to call attention to itself. Having seen it three times now, there are spots where Craig seems to anticipate the next sequence as opposed to reacting to events.
    Nolan + Deakins = perfect team, IMO.
    Univex wrote: »
    Nolan + Deakins = perfect team, IMO.

I'm not sure how well those two would work together though. Nolan is pretty stringent about shooting on film while Deakins seems to prefer digital for bigger projects. It's not a deal breaker in and of itself (Deakins is masterful and experienced with both formats), but Nolan is also a director more invested in ideas and concepts as of late, whereas Deakins seems to prioritise emotion.
    CrabKey wrote: »

Agree. It seems to call attention to itself. Having seen it three times now, there are spots where Craig seems to anticipate the next sequence as opposed to reacting to events.

Yes, it's a case where everything just looks too choreographed and polished. This is fine for certain films if the tone is right (again, the Kingsman scene being an example) but in a Bond film you really need to feel like the characters are in danger.
  • edited December 2022 Posts: 725
    I’m sure any Nolan film from now on will be lensed by Hoyte Hoytema. Who has already worked on Spectre. Would he take the gig again? I wonder how different a Nolan/Hoytema Bond would look compared to the Mendes/Hoytema one. The only reference point is Tenet, which looks far better than Spectre.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    I’m sure any Nolan film from now on will be lensed by Hoyte Hoytema. Who has already worked on Spectre. Would he take the gig again? I wonder how different a Nolan/Hoytema Bond would look compared to the Mendes/Hoytema one. The only reference point is Tenet, which looks far better than Spectre.

I think Mendes missed Deakins on Spectre. Hoytema is a fantastic cinematographer, both with or without Nolan (Nope in IMAX earlier this year was phenomenal looking), but I dont think the two really gelled. It was their first collaboration and Mendes probably felt on much shakier ground with SP and that lack, or diminished, vision on the project, probably affected Hoytema. Idk, just my read on it.

Would Wright be right for the job ? Does he have enough left in the tank ? Would the film take a significant turn with him as director ?....OK....I think I'm done...
    Mallory wrote: »

I think Mendes missed Deakins on Spectre. Hoytema is a fantastic cinematographer, both with or without Nolan (Nope in IMAX earlier this year was phenomenal looking), but I dont think the two really gelled. It was their first collaboration and Mendes probably felt on much shakier ground with SP and that lack, or diminished, vision on the project, probably affected Hoytema. Idk, just my read on it.

Yeah, I agree. Mendes missed Deakins in SP. I think Deakins' presence would have made Mendes direct the film better. 1917 is another good example.
  • edited December 2022 Posts: 4,400
    Can anyone vouch for this guy? I would dismiss this as fan speculation, however he seems too rational. If what he is saying is true then we may be getting a 2024 release date and Christopher Nolan directing the reboot. It does make sense as Nolan has been after the job for a while. I would imagine that he has a unique take which involves some time-shifting narrative. I know @peter has been looking into what is said in the video. Judge for yourselves below.

I think that it is more likely that Eon will hire a director who is less of an A-lister and who has a resume similar to Cary Fukunaga. Basically, a director with a strong background in film/TV and who is very much on the rise. I'm thinking of people along the lines of the following names:
    1. David Michôd
    2. Michael Pearce
    3. William Oldroyd
    4. Gareth Evans
    5. Miguel Sapochnik
    6. Benjamin Cleary
    7. Andrew Haigh
    8. Bart Layton
    9. Julia Ducournau
    10. Sebastián Lelio
    11. Romain Gavras
    12. Ali Abbasi
    13. Johan Renck
    14. Rose Glass
    Can anyone vouch for this guy? I would dismiss this as fan speculation, however he seems too rational. If what he is saying is true then we may be getting a 2024 release date and Christopher Nolan directing the reboot. It does make sense as Nolan has been after the job for a while. I would imagine that he has a unique take which involves some time-shifting narrative. I know @peter has been looking into what is said in the video. Judge for yourselves below.

The thing about 'the film industry' is that there are many people within it with various different jobs at various different levels. Even if this guy's friend works for Amazon and has 'heard stuff', he likely has little if anything to do with the production of Bond 26 and never will. In that sense anything that comes from such sources is just rumours until proven otherwise.

Again, I have no idea whether there's anything to it or not (there may well be). But anyone who has worked, for example, in an office will know of the constant gossiping about what cuts a company is going to make, what decisions a boss is going to implement. Sometimes these whisperings turn out to be true, other times not. It's more or less the same sort of thing here.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    If, it’s true that they are further along than they are letting on, then it would confirm what I’ve felt for some time.
    With Amazon involved, it makes it more believable. Don't think they spent all that money for a slow-burn production process.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited December 2022 Posts: 1,419
    There is no way we're getting a 2024 release. It's just irresponsible. I highly doubt Nolan would jump on Bond after Oppenheimer with zero break, unless they'd been chatting that that's the plan, which I doubt.

Let me put it this way: I don't want a 2024 release. I want them to take their time and get it right.
    It's 2025, me thinks....but even that, one would imagine wheels would have started turning in some capacity....even the slightest turn.